Le Fleuron by Gaetan Bordeleau- 1:24 - Finished

Your work space brings up dreams in me. Living in the city has a lot of bad aspects. Someday day I will have great space, but for now I'll have to work mainly at my parents. :)

Your work is solid and clean. Looks good!

Happy Christmas, by the way! ;)

Edited by Krutzelpuntz

9jlqfm.jpg
Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.” 

Jakob

Thank you Jacob, when I began my first model ship which was from plastic, I had no tools. I was working on the kitchen table.

On the last 2 pictures, we can see the effect with or without moldings. Building sequences is exactly as for a house: framing, cover the frames with planks, moldings and finishing.

post-184-0-24583400-1397823456.jpg

post-184-0-82762800-1397823456.jpg

post-184-0-33658500-1397823457.jpg

post-184-0-82972600-1397823457.jpg

Edited by Gaetan Bordeleau

Thank you for your nice words.

Building time comparisons: previously built  a 74 gun ship at 1/48 and 1/24. It took the same time to build each one, so size is just a matter of space.

To have some space you must take some time to think where to store your tools and you need many drawers. By example,recently I regrouped the little tools.

in a home made old school chest with 16 drawers, For this matter square feet is important not volume, meaning  many 1 inch high drawers. Just for this chest, if you put all the drawers  together, you get 41 square feet. Before that,  all these little tools were stored in many different places.

I do not do this professionnally, I just do it because I like it.

post-184-0-39230300-1397823256.jpg

Gaetan, Work work is very enjoyable to follow, your comment about scale and time was interesting in that you see space really as the only limiting factor, and that time is equal.

Your storage of tools is inspirational and by the looks of it very practical.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Periodically on this forum, the subject of photography comes by in different section of the forum. To make a contest is probably not the good alignment as said Chuck. Photography does not look like to be a subject that many people like, after all this forum is not intended for the photographs, it is nevertheless a subject that I like and I wish I can take better picture. To try to explain the triangular fundamentals (picture 1) is not something we can do in 1 paragraph. To make formation is probably not either the good method (picture 2) so what is left? Picture, picture, picture. The best I can thing for now would be a section like ‘’ Taking better pictures’’. The only condition would be to add a little explanation showing how the picture was taken and also 3 basic information: by example, opening (F22), exposition (.7 second) and ISO (400). You can find these informations when you look at a picture and click on the right button of the mouse, click propriety and details.

Here are some pictures by example (picture 3) F 5.6, ¼ sec, ISO 400 This picture was taken with a window behind me, but not a window with direct sunshine to avoid overexposing. Turning around the model, I liked the angle. While doing the set up, I realised I could have a reflection of my face in the glass, then I took the picture. So, you see, light with a little bit of luck and you get a picture.

Another experiment where I tried to photograph with the colors as close as possible (picture 4) by playing with the standard lighting I have at home. Few days later, I wanted to see if I was able to take this picture again. I took around 100 pictures playing with light and adjustment but could not get it. White balance was the key issue. So I took the same picture with different white balance adjustment and understood that my working place is mainly equip with neon and that there are 3  white balance adjustment  for neon.

For those who remember the French 74 cannons (picture 5); how do you think this model would be classified in a photo competition? When we participate we always think that we are better that we really are. Today is a Lucky day, I received this morning 2 appreciations from a photo contest, here are my impressions. 

To be a judge is in a great part a matter of personal taste. I was noted with positive and negative points so I think I can also I have positive and negative points about it.

On the positive side, I sent few pictures during construction and some pictures with the model completed. That was a big mistake, both judges noted model incomplete.

I was very satisfied with the choice of the wood colors. One judge thought it had realism and the other judge thought that the biggest issue was the choice of wood.

For historic accuracy, 1 judge gave all the points, that is positive, but on the negative side, the other one just gave 60%. If there is one kind of ship I know, this is the French 74 cannons by Jean Boudriot and I have a good understanding of this period.  Apparently, us human always have a tendency to think that we are better than what we really are; and here you have the perfect example; this simple model was noted ‘’average’’.  If I do not understand anything about French ship maybe I should go for something easier!

post-184-0-92852900-1388516749_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-48865000-1388516751_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-19375100-1388516768_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-96543000-1397822878.jpg

post-184-0-79614700-1397822879.jpg

Gaetan,

You hit the target dead-center in that any contest is based upon the judges.  If they had a bad morning, everyone gets rated down.  If they had a great morning, everyone get rated high. If they prefer certain things (wood in this case), the rating goes up or down depending on what you used. 

Your work is first rate...  above and beyond this mere mortal.post-76-0-15638200-1388524059.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

THE MOST DANGEROUS WOOD DUST

We read a lot of things concerning wood toxicity. In Quebec province, one organism protects the workers. http://www.reptox.csst.qc.ca/documents/plusencore/poussieresbois/htm/PoussieresBoisCancer.htm

This link shows some tables about wood toxicity. In fact we should talk about wood dust which is dangerous.

Here are some extractions of the most dangerous wood dust:

Oak and beech; confirm cancer on human

Birch, mahogany, teak, walnut, suspect cancer on human

Certain woods contains chemical products causing allergy.

Here are some extractions

Macassar quinone in macassar ebony

dimethoxy-p-benzoquinone in maple sugar, African mohagany

Gaetan,

This conversation needs to be done.  I'd suggest opening another one in the Wood Discussion area.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

http://www.acgih.org/SiteSearch/Results.cfm?CFID=1472109&CFTOKEN=15225595

LInk to American association in English: ACGIH 

wood dust beech and oak, when I first read this few mounths ago, I was very much surprise to learn this. Last autumn, in an exposition, I was talking to students making violin and they also knew about oak. I do not use oak and beech and I surely will not be using these woods any more. I do not know , but I guess that they observed workerrs  in oak dust environment for years who died from cancer and were able to establish links.

I guess it would be interesting to copy a table from an English source as the one I saw in the french source. I guess that it wouls some way possible to copy the tables and mentioning the provenance.

I think that these are ther best sources available who could demistify which woods are dangerous  and which one are not so dangerous.

Mark, you can open in the appropriate section.

Here is a presentation sheet for the 74 cannons. Unfortunately, 1 judge did not like my style, so I will try another type of event this year by showing some models. With this I am preparing a conference with these main lines in French:

1 Le Modèle d’arsenal (et ses origines)
2 Quelques Réalisations 
3 Étude  d’un modèle d’instruction navale
    (Vaisseau de 74 canons)

I think Navy Board model are the good words and for Naval Instruction I mean  by example in let’s say 1750  naval officer who were going to school to learn to build ships were learning with models at large scale.

Also I like Greg idea about mentoring, and I will probably test if some participant would be interested to learn.

post-184-0-24251600-1388850595_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-38662200-1388850604_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-45963900-1388850606_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-15862600-1388850610_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-94470000-1388850611_thumb.jpg

Hi Gaetan,

That is a spectacular presentation. Beautiful sheets. I am not sure I would change this because of one person's comments. I participate in a number of juries for architecture projects, and I am amazed how one year a group of jurors will love a project that the last year's group disliked or ignored. It really is more subjective than one would believe. But use your best judgement.

best wishes for the new year,

Mark

Hi Gaetan,

I look forward to seeing the entire presentation, if you want to post it here when you are done.

By the way, I read in the first page of information that you used Bokens linen thread, size 90. Is that thread free of the little bumps or blurbs that I have found in linen thread so far? At my scale of 1:64, the bumps really show up when I have made up a line on the ropewalk. I am still on the search for good linen thread!

Best wishes,

Mark

Mark: if you can find good linen line without slubs in it, either keep the source secret or just share it with me! Seriously, it's nearly impossible to find that quality any more.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

size 90 .007 inch, I guess that ideally at 1/64 I would use  size 110 or 120 so that all the ropes can be done with the same thread.

In the picture middle one:  fil de lin a dentelle Bouc FFR art 9051 110/2 écru 300meters around 40 euros

I guess it would be hard to find better. ref second picture

I bought that from Theo. I remember having few  exchange by windows mail. He ordered a cone for  exactly what I needed

http://www.theobrejaart.nl/frame.html

With the rope machine I use and the good counterweight very nice and stable ropes are obtained

post-184-0-37749600-1388873145_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-70579900-1388873147_thumb.jpg

The most difficult part to do the windows was to decide to begin. 3 templates with grooves were made. Windows are dry fit for now. Next part will be easier to do, the gallery.

I cut the legs of the scroll saw so I can use it while sitting and did  a wood adaptor to use it while standing up.

post-184-0-05069400-1389232332_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-63003200-1389232336_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-87803300-1389232339_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-04102300-1389232344_thumb.jpg

What a wonderfull built! Amazing solutions and instructive approaches. Thanks a lot for a view over your shoulder in this phantasic workshop... 20 times larger than my "hole under the high-sleeper-bed.

But now I know I why I decided those days to built only small stuff... ;)

Edited by Small Stuff

My carpetmonster adapted to laminate flooring!

GK - Modellbau No. 2002 a little boat 680 after E.Paris  - PoF 1/50

AL 18021 Scottish Maid the 1st Aberdeen Clipper 1839 - PoB 1/76 (?) 

Dream: a hullmodel of the 66 55/95 tons US-Revenue drop-keel Cutter 1/2"=1ft, plans by H.I.Chapelle

Finding a place for an 8 feet long model ship.

When I finished the 74 guns 2 years ago, I did not know where to put it. A place was made in the basement stock room and I covered it well. Last summer the model was brought on the upper floor in an unoccupied room. A cherry table with wheels was made to transport it. Last week, my wife wanted a new hobby room in that same room and suggested to build a wall to wall shelf and put the big model under it. Legs table are replaced by 2 mount and the model finally finds a place.

post-184-0-07521600-1397822043_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-81700000-1397822047_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-36987100-1397822051_thumb.jpg

The table is a work of craftmanship and suits the model perfectly!

Colin

--

Current Builds: HMS Pandora 1/64 Scratch

Jeannie Johnston;

18thC Longboat with my son

Previous Builds: HMB Bounty - Caldercraft

Running Round my head: HMS Speedy (1782) - vaguely thinking POF

"If at first you don't succeed, try it your wifes' way"

For some reason, I just can't wrap my mind around an 8-foot long model but your table and stand are absolutely stunning.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: