Le Fleuron by Gaetan Bordeleau - FINISHED - 1:24

Great jigs and setups.  I'm learning a lot.  I like the brass tube for turning round from square.  Brilliant!!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

To turn the axle for a square, there is no need to use the 4 jaw chuck. 

You just need to insert the square axle in a brass tubing. To be able to apply pressure  without deforming the brass tubing, 2 cuts in line are enough.

fantastic trick. - I have three in my jaws around and never knew the solution

Thanks for the centering tips.  Just what I was looking for...

Maury

• 3 weeks later...

Applied colors to the guns and turned out very well. The last time I used black oxyde I cleaned chemically the guns before and had a lot of trouble so I did use it this time and the color turned perfect.  For the carriage, possibly the  color could be a lighter red but I decided to go a shade darker because when blood dries it is in a darker shade.

I wanted to try Alex method for mass production of pulleys.

For the guns of the seond deck I need about 100, so it is not really faster.

For mass production it assures the same  curves in each ones.

Also included a profile of the shape of the pulley. This really facilitates further operarions .

The most difficult is to turn an exact  profile for the 2  V curves required.

On the drawing the first cutter is use on 1 and 2.

The second cutter is use on 3 and 4. This part is often not done when making pulleys

Last parts, reddish brown color for the pulleys and the ropes to complete the last parts needed to complete the guns of the first deck.

To make a perfect pulley is not an easy task. The best ones I saw in 25 years came from A french House  name S.T.A.B.  All the curves were perfect and the blocks were made from  boxwood. These were made by a machine, but what this machine looked like, I guess it will be a secret for still a long time.

post-184-0-42631800-1449260682_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-51245100-1449260684_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-64439300-1449260685_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-70150100-1449260687_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-27508700-1449260689_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-09342200-1449260691_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-99323200-1449260692_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-07873700-1449260694_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-63567400-1449260695_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-25699300-1449260696_thumb.jpg

This block making machine was discussed at Western ship model conference several years ago. It was indeed a wonder.There was talk of a commercial version but I never heard anything more of it. Perhaps the AAMM has more information.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Brunel's blockmaking machinery at Portsmouth interesting, I did not know about this.

It should be interesting to know how it works.

14 different types of machines were needed to carry out all the processes to make the blocks.

post-184-0-63104800-1449276335_thumb.png

Edited by Gaetan Bordeleau

Have you seen how Chuck makes his blocks?  There's a special cutter for the mill that he uses.  I'm not sure how that would work at the larger size of your ship, however.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

And Brunel's machinery still works after 200 years! It's a fascinating story about the beginnings of industrial mass-production.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Of course it was Marc Brunel, father of Isambard Kingdom, who invented this block making machine. Marc was a Frenchman, his wife English, so IK can be regarded as a fine example of Anglo/French co-operation. :)

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

• 4 weeks later...

Sequence of  Gun Installation

1-    gun on deck

2-    ropes

3-    rope coil maker

4-    Compare in red; gun angle and in green; rope angle

Because  the nail with eye shape must be install on a deck beam, this cause strange  alignment. Ideally a deck beam should be straight in line with the middle on the gun opening but sometimes other consideration have priority.

5-6         guns installed

7- Small cameras to take pictures inside. I still have to compare with a small portable camera

8- All the parts on the first deck are ready,  still just to install to complete the first deck.

post-184-0-91774100-1451596388_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-11967800-1451596393_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-08855900-1451596397_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-91424900-1451596397_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-81741300-1451596400_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-45700500-1451596404_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-38655200-1451596408_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-38126000-1451596412_thumb.jpg

Breathtaking, Gaetan.   Something for me to aspire to... 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

There is nothing left to say but AMAZING!!!!!!

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Ah! Now I understand why the companion ladders are the S-shape they take. It now makes sense. Lovely progress. What is the box that looks like a ticket booth?

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

This is the real ship, right?   It sure does look real..... :o

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Gaetan, I am left speechless. I don't know which of the photos is my favourite, they are all stunning.

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Hmm, have you thought about organising a "tours" inside the ship using that webcamera? You know, kids nowadays stream the live video of them playing games, it would be interesting to see a live stream of your camera walking around the ship! :)

ok, just joking. It is really impressive to see one of that rare ship models, not ship model models.

Now a lot of things make sense, after looking on your photos!

Edited by Mike Y

Thank you for your comments.

Now here are the results of my little test with 3 different level of camera: webcam  Life cam from Microsoft, small portable Nikon Coolpix and standard camera from Canon.

Best shots are  from the cheapest, the webcam even if colors are not so good. One of the reason is the fact that with the webcam, the photo can be seen on a program before to take it. This is very helpful. This advantage is not present with the 2 other camera.

Microsoft first 2  and Nikon the others:

post-184-0-80319800-1452369187_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-56097400-1452369190_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-56625900-1452369193_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-93398400-1452369196_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-47417200-1452369198_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-26107300-1452369200_thumb.jpg