Le Fleuron by Gaetan Bordeleau - FINISHED - 1:24

Merci de vos encouragements

Thank you John, here is a recapitulation from the earlier posts, from a building and photography point of view.

This build began in 2012, 4 years ago, with still at least 1 year to go, so around a 5 years built. The previous one, the 74  was built in half that time; 2 ½ years. The main feature of these builds is the scale 1/24 but I would have more place may be I would go even bigger!

I like this kind of work and I am beginning to think to the next one. The key are the plans details. Today if you ask me what will be the next one? 74 is the answer and for the plans there is also 1 answer Jean Boudriot. He describes easily the parts in a very well structured way. This means that he did the research part and I can concentrate on the building part. Scale  will still be 1/24, wood will again be cherry because I like to work with this  fruit wood and it is easily obtainable and I would say this is the best wood I can use In Quebec. In comparison, the 64  with cherry and the 74 with exotic wood, the price is about 3 times higher. The quantity needed is very  considerable. As a rule of thumb in a very approximate way for a detailed model, I would estimate the volume of wood required at least 2 times the volume of the  model ship.

Photography combine with the scale and a small web cam offers a nice vision of the model. For each model we build, the quality is always better, and the next model is also always better, so it is road which always goes in 1 direction : improvement of the quality of work. This forum provides us  a fantastic tool with the picture size allowed. This is a win-win situation. Peoples can see good size picture and as a builder I can use the magnifying glass effect of the pictures to improve my work quality.  

Photography is a subject I read every day and I try to get better pictures. If I compare with the first picture of this build, I see improvement. Unfortunately we have the possibility to show big size photos, but if we want to learn to take better pictures to show, we have to do it alone. This forum is not a photography class but photography surely could be consider as  a tool that we can use to improve our work. Model Ship World  Internet Forum is a booster  which can increase the learning curve in the model ship construction because we combine all our knowledge. Also I am sure that photography could also use a small booster to benefit everybody.

From a model building perspective, the figures you just quoted are somewhat stagering. 2 times the volume of ship worth of wood at a scale of 1:24..... That's incredible. Do you accept drop ins to your shop? I drive through Quebec from time to time, in fact, have family throughout the province, and would love to see your work.

Cheers,

Daniel

Gaetan

Your photographs are always so intriguing, not only do they show your incredible modelwork, but often there are glimpses of details of your working environment. I find the accidental details as interesting as the model itself.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Druxey,

If I cover the entire gun deck then it is not worth to build the inside because nothing would be visible.

I did modify some parts;

Cathead anchor are not glued, if   glued it it is almost sure that I will break at leasrt one later.

I changed the chimney side to see the copper plate on the top of the stove.

About the gun carriages; which also are not glued  on the deck as for the same previous reason. I observed in previous builds that ropes assembly are sufficent to hold the gun  and if the assembly is  too much static, it is almost for sure that I will in the next years  when turning around the hull hit some guns, and if the assembly has some play to move  it will not break.

post-184-0-03244500-1465757930_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-80657500-1465757931_thumb.jpg

Beautiful work at a size I can only dream of.    gorgeous... 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Making the bell’s ship

+ modification on molding knife;

handle for the blade

sometimes we see a  handle on the opposite side, it is a bit more performant

amelioration of the down force on the blade : try  for a handle at 90 degres of the blade, allows direct counterforce on the blade;

much easier to make the molding

post-184-0-81796000-1466179352_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-81847500-1466179354_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-53388600-1466179356_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-37822100-1466179358_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-39157900-1466179360_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-02926200-1466179362_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-25019600-1466179363_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-33688500-1466179365_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-32567300-1466179367_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-76274800-1466179368_thumb.jpg

Elle est magnifique ! Il n’y a pas de mots suffisants pour décrire la beauté. Tu es vraiment un maître artisan (sorry for the familiar). There are not words sufficient to describe the perfection of detail of your build of this beautiful vessel. You are truly a master craftsman in every respect.

Cordialement, John

Thank you, 

What is the secret to build a nice bell,  as well as a nice model ship? Plan, plan,plan and for the bell, you just need some turning experience.

If you would ask me what is the best set of plans available on the market, the answer is very easy:

74 guns  by Jean Boudriot; plans with details. In addition, 1780 is a nice period, where the 74 had very nice lines with fewer decorations than in the previous century.

For the catholic, the best book is the bible

For the model ship builder, the bible is the 74

If I had only 1 book this set of 4 would be  the one

The only difference between a beginner and an advanced model ship builder is that the advanced one understand the importance of the detail.

At the opposite, at a period I did research about ships built in Quebec in 1750. The only thing that survived are the lines of the Frégate L'Abénakise when captured by the English. I could have tried to built  one but everything would have been speculation especially for the carvings which make each model distinct.

Beautiful as always, Gaetan.  I am behind in following the work.  The camera setup just caught my eye.  I have more than enough trouble avoiding tipping over just one tripod!

Ed

Thank you Joe,

This is a nice feature of this forum:

Everyone tries  and share his best work

As a group every body enjoy others experience

As a result, every member, you  and me grows to be a better worker.

Working on the 3 fence sets. Ideally each step should be done in a certain order to maximize construction. For the upper one, a temporary floor is cut to accomodate  wood post fence.

Everything is not glued until all parts are prepared and fitted. For this reason, construction is often more a game of  continuous puzzle assembly and dissassembly until everything fits together.

post-184-0-01248900-1466953382_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-89429500-1466953383_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-78793100-1466953385_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-70322500-1466953387_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-68693600-1466953389_thumb.jpg

And beauty will come out of chaos.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The last time I was able to attend a club meeting the 4 vol set of the French 74s came in for auction.  But I do not have the room or the facilities so had to turn them down.  I chatted with the member who bought them and he said He would work out a deal with me once I get things back to normal.  They are excellent books.

David B