Any experience using Super 'Phatic glue

I experimented with Super Phatic glue, and it seems to work.  I used it after adding a wet plank to a number of bulkheads over a very irregular shaped stern. Lots of bending. First the plank was molded to shape by soaking and then added to a number of stern bulkheads with clamps, rubber bands and some nails to form the appropriate shape.  Then I added the Super Phatic after the plank dried all the while leaving it on the bulkheads the whole time. I utilized the glue's wicking qualities along the joined plank edges and again at each bulkhead. It seems to have worked pretty well and was a lot quicker and easier to add the glue without removing and replacing the plank.

I am wondering what, if any, are the downsides of using Super 'Phatic that I should consider.

Thanks.

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Gets some really good reviews for those that like CA.   You are testing so should find out if it is for you.   I would give your test pieces a few days or even longer before committing to something that you want to last many years without failure.  Gets some not so good ones as well.  Here is one of the less than 5 star reviews. 

I bought this product in hopes that it would be a good alternative to conventional CA glue. Granted, it has its place, but its more of a "white" glue, than a fast curing modeling glue. I loved the applicator that came with it, it really puts the glue right where you want it. Would have easily given it 4-4.5 stars except for one thing, drying. In an environment where I had perfect temps, and low humidity, even after 36 hours, even the slightest excess glue around joints remained gummy. Areas that needed sanding, quickly clogged sandpaper. I will continue to use it in areas that will be practical just to use it up, but I doubt that I will be buying it again. Instead, I might experiment with some of the more popular wood glues, diluting them a bit for extra penetration.

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I will need to check on the drying issue.  I had not noticed it at first but have not tried sanding.  

I was checking on diluting a titebond or others like it on this on MSW but seemed to get less than positive responses.  That do not seem to have the wicking quality which is what first attracted me to CA thin and then to Super Phatic.

Thanks for the tips.

Richard

Richard

• 1 month later...

So, I did some testing and allanyed was spot on.  The glue was very helpful when I need to fix an already mounted piece.  Sometimes when mounting a difficult part I don't want to have to remove it to add glue.  But drying takes forever and it does leak to unintended places.  But, for pre-mounted parts it is a real help, just need to wait a while before sanding it back.   

Richard

Richard