Mayflower by tj456 - 1/19 scale

Now it's just a matter of repeating the port side planking.  The hard part is doing it the same (more or less) so the lines even out on the stern.  I am going to take advantage of the learning curve here and make improvements where I see fit.  One can only see one side at a time and one side will probably be against a wall when displayed.

20220912_175127.jpg

20220916_194432.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, TJ before you start on the starboard side and lose access to the port side do you think your thin ribs will be strong enough?

Slowhand,

Current build - Polacca scratch build from Amati plan

previous builds

San Martin - Occre

H.MS Resolution - Corel

Half Moon - Corel

Dragon keel boat - Billings

By chance are those CNW train so the wall? I’m old enough to remember the Flambeau 400 from Green Bay to Chicago. My grandmothers house was about 50 yards from the main line in Green Bay. Sorry for the minor hijack. 🤭

Ship is looking great. I was also going to ask how fragile the hull is with such little bulkhead structure. Remembering how I manhandled my Lady Nelson, I would have crushed your hull several times. 😑

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

15 minutes ago, Dave_E said:

By chance are those CNW train so the wall? I’m old enough to remember the Flambeau 400 from Green Bay to Chicago. My grandmothers house was about 50 yards from the main line in Green Bay. Sorry for the minor hijack. 🤭

Ship is looking great. I was also going to ask how fragile the hull is with such little bulkhead structure. Remembering how I manhandled my Lady Nelson, I would have crushed your hull several times. 😑

Thanks.   Those are CNW train cars and even a Soo Line box car.  I grew up in Rhinelander WI and I  remember my grandparents coming up on the train from Crystal Lake Illinois.   The train station is still there but its a stock brokerage now.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice clean, crisp work, mate. She's looking good.

Just a point for future reference, it's better to plank both sides at once, evenly on both sides, rather than plank one side then the other. The forces involved can warp the hull to one side if applied unevenly (don't ask me how I know!).

I'm hoping this won't happen to your model. It looks excellent so far.

Steven

Wow! Beautiful. Just pulled up a chair. I have the MS version on the shelf right now as my wife is a Mayflower descendent.

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

Now that the topside is done it's planking time.  It's almost time to flip the hull up side down  ...  luckily I kept some Styrofoam and foam rubber to cushion the hull.  Unlike the port side I'm going to completely plank this side before painting and detailing.   The black lines will be 1/16 x 1/4 strips so the paint lines should be nice and crisp.  I've also started on the stand which due to the height of the model will only be about 17 inches high.

20221124_180443.jpg