Brewster Buffalo 339-23 by Landlubber Mike - FINISHED - Special Hobby + AM - 1/48

I'm at the very tail end of my Wildcat build, but can't seem to find the interest to finish it.  So, what better way to keep the modeling going than starting a new kit?  I was reminded that I hadn't started a build log here on it from @popeye the sailor, who is also working on a Special Hobby kit.  I'm doing my best to catch Popeye with the most in-process kits, but I have a feeling I'm still way short.  😬

I picked this kit up from John at UMM a year or so ago - it came with all the CMK aftermarket for it and was a good deal, so I figured I might as well get it as I like quirkier subjects.  I also added the Brengun controls and flaps set, a Pavla canopy (for Tamiya, but it might fit), and a few goodies from Master.

IMG_2692.thumb.JPG.a85c6840afa76bdee9a8c8c2494727e0.JPG

Background reference materials:

IMG_2693.thumb.JPG.22f5d89b83da49fe531b8c28b2dac792.JPG

The Buffalo was an interesting aircraft that went through a number of variants before quickly becoming obsolete during WWII.  The Fins did really well with their version of the Buffalo against the Germans.  The model in this kit is one of the export versions, the 339-23.  It was the last set of Buffalos built.  Interestingly, the 20 of these planes were destined for Java, but when Java fell to the Japanese, they were diverted to Australia  where they served with the USAAF and the RAAF, and ultimately, transferred back to the USAAF.  With this kit, you can build two RAAF versions (one of which is a reconnaissance plane that was outfitted with three cameras), and two USAAF planes.  The two RAAF versions and one of the USAAF planes are in green/olive drab came as in the box picture, and the last USAAF, which served as the personal aircraft of the air base commander, is in silver.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

With all the aftermarket, this has been a little bit of a Frankenstein's monster.  Five CMK sets (engine, cockpit, control surfaces, undercarriage, wing gun bays), along with the Brengun controls and flaps sets (which is a little better than the CMK set), means a lot of cutting away of the original model.  Not for the faint of heart for sure!  I didn't take many pictures along the way as I wasn't sure if I was going to be even partially successful, but things seemed to have worked out.  The instructions for the kit as well as the CMK and Brengun aftermarket can be less than helpful at times unfortunately, leading to a lot of head scratching.  

Here is one picture which shows how much was cut away.  It was very tricky with the wings because you had to thin down the plastic to almost hair width.  I used knives, my micromotor and sandpaper to thin things down, but in some cases I had to fix things with really thin plastic card.  

IMG_4214.thumb.JPG.56ce7e35c277d3e4a74e338a581682b4.JPG

The CMK engine builds up really nicely - here it is pre-weathering:

IMG_5117.thumb.JPG.6337773b0d06b613c3358f8daa2b32b7.JPG

This version of the Buffalo had an interesting large window right under the pilot.  Thankfully Montex makes a mask for all the little window parts:

IMG_5081.thumb.JPG.8e70962ade2a89ecbf9f19a146556d90.JPG

Here is where I am at the moment.  Looks like a Buffalo I think.  I just need to fill and sand a bit more, add the pilot seat and lower window, and then re-scribe the panel lines and add rivets.  Then off to prime and hope that Mr. Surfacer makes things nice and smooth.

IMG_5115.thumb.JPG.a94b67fd86a7a160dca15f45195f40ec.JPG

IMG_5116.thumb.JPG.3f707cffe29ab6d3dd0f31b2ddfda114.JPG

Thanks for looking in!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hey Dave, it's a plastic kit with some resin and PE included in the box.  The aftermarket is mostly resin with some PE as well.  I started it maybe two months ago.

Mike

Like Alan said, the engine is lovely. All the aftermarket you added, along with the extras Special Hobby already throws in, makes for one busy a/c build. One of my uncles made parts for this plane in North jersey and they were shipped to Brewster's plant in Buffalo (?), NY during the war.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I love the Buffalo! I built a 1/72 scale kit as a kid, have the finished Kartonowa Kolekcja version in my display case, boogered the Halinski version (Finnish aircraft), and have a replacement Halinski kit in my stash.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Thanks guys!

Ken, this is perhaps a little overboard with all the aftermarket, but having things like the aircraft control surfaces as separate parts and in a different position makes for a more interesting model I think.  Also, showing off the engine with the panels off adds some more details on what is otherwise going to be a fairly uninteresting model (given the markings, camo scheme, shape, etc.).  I might try to build it as a diorama where it was being assembled, given that I believe the Americans put the planes together after the came off the boat.  That might be tough given how much is already on the model, so maybe I'll just put it in a diorama receiving routine maintenance.

Chris, I remember your card builds.  I'm hoping that I can build mine half as well you did yours!

Mike

Your doing fine my friend.... Looks like you got the ideals of aftermarket down pat....

Nice job....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

• 2 weeks later...

now that would be an interesting thought to check out.  it's known that biplanes had their wings removed during shipment {or most of them}.  we had the foldable wing planes.......does make one wonder  ;)   resin gun bays......yup you picked a unique one.  very nice job so far :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks guys, it's been an interesting adventure with all the aftermarket.  I ended up adding brass gun barrels and a pitot from Master - a bit of a splurge, especially when you can barely see the guns, but the profiles look much more to scale and with better definition than the kit parts.

IMG_5289.thumb.JPG.30c6c9ef76d3da972a0585c153001a11.JPGIMG_5288.thumb.JPG.371b503df488338630e57ed6c3e72b5b.JPG

I added rivets using my 0.75mm Rosie the Riveter wheel, and re-scribed some of the panel lines.  I've also had to do a few other fixes as well.  Apparently all Buffalos except the 339E only had one landing light on the port wing, so I went ahead and filled the starboard side (used my RP Toolz punch set and the 4.5mm punch filled the hole perfectly).  It's not in the pictures here, but I also scratch built the radar antenna that goes on the starboard side of the cowl.  The kit piece just glues to the side of the cowl, and wasn't a very robust piece of plastic, so I figured it was only a matter of time before I knocked it off.  So, I drilled a hole into the cowl, and epoxied in a longer antenna where the base is inserted a few millimeters into the cowl.  Seems a lot more robust and will be harder to break off.

IMG_5287.thumb.JPG.0d315eb14981686f661a30e7f2d98f41.JPG

IMG_5286.thumb.JPG.a5edba676cc3254b913de1e8b87cbd88.JPG

I'm now in the middle of priming everything with Mr. Surfacer 1500.  I had some fit issues which Special Hobby is known for, so it's been prime, fill and sand, prime, and repeat.  But getting closer to throwing some colors on it.  Building into a nice kit I think.  Thanks for looking in! 

Mike

• 3 months later...

Well, I'm trying to wrap up my builds so that I can start an upcoming 2023 group build on MSW's sister site.  After a bunch of rounds of filling and sanding, I have the camo scheme painted on the model using Mr. Color paints.  Was quite a tricky time getting to this point with all the AM but I'm pretty happy with where things are.  The wing gun panels are just blue-tacked in place to take on the camo scheme as they will be removed and put next to the model to show it under maintenance along with the engine.

IMG_6355.thumb.JPG.41db232fec32b44bc0f830611c04fa79.JPGIMG_6354.thumb.JPG.e7d083a305bea8c10ae1f23e3bad8fcd.JPG

I found a Montex set of stencils to paint the insignia and numbering, so those will go on next.  The landing gear and wheels are also painted, so hopefully this will get wrapped up by the end of the year.  

Thanks for looking in!

Mike

2 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Well, I'm trying to wrap up my builds so that I can start an upcoming 2023 group build on MSW's sister site. 

Sister site?  I didn't know we had one.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

https://forum.largescalemodeller.com

I believe James runs that site as well.  Good group of people, though maybe a little less active than folks here.  Great skills on display if plastic (and the occasional metal) models are of interest.

Mike

Fine result, Mike. although the edges are a bit 'soft', you got a very good feathered camouflage. Also the smoothness of the surfaces looks very good. I see you are getting constantly improved results. It will look great when finished.

Best regards,

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

13 hours ago, Danstream said:

although the edges are a bit 'soft', you got a very good feathered camouflage

Just a historical note Brewster Buffaloes were delivered in bare metal, they were in some cases the front line aircraft where they were stationed although they were essentially obsolete at the start of the war... all of them were painted in the field with makeshift sprayers, anything they could adapt and the usual panel masks for doing such were unavailable... Hence the "Soft/Wide Edge" look.... Probably a little too soft but close to what they really were before they were all shot down....

I agree, he's getting better and better each one he does Dan....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Thanks guys, really appreciate it!  Funny thing is I thought I didn't make the lines soft enough - shows what I know!

EG thanks for that info.  Didn't realize that.  The 339-23 that I'm modeling I believe was first intended for the Dutch, then ended up going to Australia (where I believe they were actually assembled).  Some stayed in Australian service, and a few made it back into American service.  I'm planning to do this one as a US 339-23.

I'm still learning on the painting - the techniques and skills of people are way advanced from where things were when I did plastic models as a kid.  It's been fun, even with all the bad words trying to work with a limited run kit and all the aftermarket.

Mike

Painted on the insignia and the numbers.  The Montex set of stencils worked really nicely.  I was a bit worried about the numbers but they came out great with minimal touchup needed.  Was hoping to get this one wrapped up before the end of the year, but don't want to rush the clear coating, weathering, etc.

IMG_6439.JPG.2f7081501c0c8c84659db2afda5d2c42.JPG

IMG_6440.JPG.a4153f0a293912a7cbbaf0a52be25423.JPG

IMG_6442.JPG.016b9158f2c17213177eec2dc8aed5bf.JPG

IMG_6441.JPG.dcc6badc1311721aeaf9d193c50c63dd.JPG

Thanks for looking in, and happy new year!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Andrew!

I managed to get everything pretty much painted and assembled pre-clear coat/weathering over the weekend.  Stayed up way too late last night to get to this point, but things were going well and I wanted to go with the good mojo.  Looking back, I'm not sure that at my experience level hacking up a Special Hobby kit to add in half a dozen plus aftermarket items was a smart decision, but I'm pretty happy how this is turning out.  It probably doesn't look like it, but getting the engine mounts, engine, cowl, bracket, etc. were hours of work!  Lots of dry fitting, sanding, filling, etc.  The CMK parts are very nice, but the instructions are not always the clearest at times.

I almost cried when I accidentally snapped one of the V-shaped landing gears in half trying to drill in holes for the hydraulic cables, but somehow the modeling gods were with me and I managed to get it put back together without much trouble.  

Anyway, here are some pictures.  Clear coat tonight, weathering later in the week, and hopefully done with this and the Wildcat by the end of the long weekend.  Thanks for looking in!

IMG_6467.JPG.f7da0abf605fb5806dbb845cc526b7d8.JPG

IMG_6468.JPG.2e35844571a583c2919ab956da3e8d25.JPG

IMG_6469.JPG.cc7dc211725df66dda10cbdf9f79fdce.JPG

IMG_6470.JPG.fbe476dc8adb7f8269294338069ab0af.JPG

IMG_6471.JPG.b644854ac00ce9f60218fa33d16e9604.JPG

IMG_6472.JPG.5d4c8e904720df0152eb686247ee59e6.JPG

IMG_6473.JPG.2cbf3ae1a851c4d6a0f99c8ed373b287.JPG

IMG_6474.JPG.c20b23b7b4a14ba11e77ae4eff139deb.JPG

Mike

Thanks Alan!  I'm using Mr. Color paints.  I find they go down and level really nicely with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner.  I did paint the blue in the insignia using Vallejo, but in part that was to be able to use a toothpick to scratch off any amounts that bled under the masks.  Can't scratch off the Mr. Color paint, so using the two in combination like that makes things easier, especially since having to cover any bleeding of the blue with white would be difficult.  Would probably lean towards sanding the blue off down to the white layer, and then respraying the white to touch it up.  Using Vallejo on top of the Mr. Color avoids that.

Mike

Beautiful work Mike and what a great looking craft.  I look forward to seeing her all done.  I've heard nothing but good things about the Mr. Color line of paints and I must try them sometime soon.

Gary  

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Thanks very much Gary.  This is the first model I've done using predominantly Mr. Color products - Mr. Surfacer for primer, Mr. Color for paints, Mr. Color Leveling Thinner, their clear coats, etc.  The products have a strong odor, but spray and clean up fairly easily.  What's really impressive is how well they level with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner.  Also, so far I haven't encountered issues taping the painted surfaces, unlike my experience with Vallejo.  If you're looking for a paint that will need to be masked, they are certainly worth a look.  One caution is that their clear coats are very thick - in my limited experience, you need to go with a minimum of 2:1 ratio of thinner to paint to get it to spray the right way.

The Special Hobby instructions had color call-outs using the Mr. Color line which made picking paints very easy.  I bought a couple of similar colors as I wasn't sure how these particular colors would render in person, but I was very pleased - the three colors on this build all harmonized very nicely I think.  Oh, also worth noting that they have a lot of paints made according to Federal Standard colors in the colors for aircraft, etc., so if you're looking for a particular FS number, they are a good place to start.  

Mike

That's  a  rally  nice finish  you  have  achieved  really nice.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

2 hours ago, king derelict said:

Thanks Mike

I will try the Mr Color series of paints. I am not a fan of Vallejo apart from their black primer. I seem to have drifted from Tamiya to Mig Ammo which i do like a lot. They spray very well even heavily diluted.

Alan

Alan, if you're going to go with Mr. Color, try their primer if you haven't already.  They make the standard gray, but also black and other colors.  I have used Vallejo primer in the past, but I find Mr. Surfacer much better.  They come in both rattle can and jars to be thinned like their paints.  If you go with the latter, thin it with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner (as opposed to Mr. Color Thinner, which is also good, but I don't think it has the leveling properties of the former).  People aren't far enough when they refer to it as "unicorn tears" for thinning.

image.jpeg.7cbc530dd5b7a1e2ab047905230ded5e.jpegimage.jpeg.5604f79fc0a9d49651edc115f6e87fec.jpeg

I do use Vallejo's Gloss Black as an undercoat for their Metal Color range.  It works really nicely.  But, I find Vallejo primers can be prone to lifting when taped, so I only use it when I'm not looking to tape (as with aircraft interiors, chrome parts on cars, etc.).  I also have some All-Clad black for undercoating their metal line, but so far I've only used it once (and liked it).

Mike