Cut and Paste - downloadable e-book featuring the work of Ab Hoving

This is really quite amazing. As both a photographer and a modeler I really appreciate both aspects of your work in bringing this to life. I also enjoyed the narrative describing the different boats. Having published a few photo books I understand the significant cost involved and so appreciate your making it available to a wide audience via .pdf. 

Aside from stunning models and graphic work the best part of it all for me is the collaborative work of father and son. Well done!

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

On 10/16/2022 at 9:31 AM, Ab Hoving said:

Which one would you like Brian? I can send you the file, take it to the print shop and have it printed. 150 100 cm is possible. You can even have it printed on perspex.

Ab

Ab, I really do appreciate your kind offer!!!!    It is a most difficult decision, seeing that each and every image is so stunning in its visual impact and nautical accuracy.  It would be an absolute delight to receive a PDF of The Amsterdam Port at Nightfall or Kaag.  Do you have a favorite or an opinion based on all of your historical knowledge?  I am not that familiar with perspex prints, so I would also appreciate your opinion on that as well.  When I receive the PDF file, I will ensure it is printed at the highest resolution and in the highest quality based on the information I can gather, and then display it in a place of honor with a waterfront view in our home on Roanoke Island in North Carolina.  I will also make sure that you see the end result.  I really can't thank you enough.  My wife and I are really excited and happy to display your work, and if there is any way possible, we would like to make sure you and your son are fairly compensated.  Thanks again!

No need for any compensation Brian, it's a pleasure to send the file to someone who appreciates our work. Here it is, it may look small, but as I said, go to a good printshop and they can make you a real large image.

Good luck.

(I hope this works, it is 5.4 Mb, if it does not work, send me a PM.)

image.thumb.jpeg.09b0aee655864c6dd2f2f8b7d92c2034.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I am delighted to report that I have received my print of Emiel and @Ab Hoving's The Amsterdam Port at Nightfall from Coastal Impressions.  They used an acid free canvas, and when I went to pick it up, I received several comments from the staff regarding the quality of the digital image.  In particular, they noted how beautiful the composition was and just how detailed and realistically the ships, sky, and the water in the foreground had been rendered in the overall image.  The print is on a piece of canvas that is approximately 24 inches tall, and it has two inch margins for framing, but they also noted (as Ab had indicated) that it could have been printed even bigger without loss of overall quality.  The issue is of course wall space.  Moreover, I am not above seeing if Ab would be willing to share another image file....but first I will take the print back to Durham where I will have it framed by Craven Gallery.  I have used them for all of our framing, and they will do a great job, and use museum quality glass and acid free matting to ensure that there is no reflection or loss of color over time to detract from the art piece.  I have attached a photo I took with my iPhone, and in posting it on the forum it will lose even more of the quality of the image.  However, I think you will be able to appreciate how beautiful this print is going to be once framed inside a nice antique-style wooden frame with museum quality glass.  I'll even do some research of the artists that Ab and his son used for inspiration to see what kind of frames are used for maritime masterpieces, and try to do them justice when I select the frame, etc.  I'm all smiles when I look at it, and we can't wait to see it hanging on a wall in a prime viewing location here on Roanoke IslandIMG_0982.thumb.jpeg.72583d86d9067c7e26f1db36df8f6387.jpeg.

Edited by HardeeHarHar

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful work Ab, the paintings belong in a museum. It would be wonderful if this was published but I understand why you are not moving forward.

Do you have any plans for the featured ships? I’ve always been fascinated by Dutch warships from this period and would love to build one.

JJ

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

1 hour ago, Ab Hoving said:

Thank you JJ for your kind words.

If you want the info I used for these ships I will gladly send you what I have.

I do work on a book on paper models of Dutch ships though, so if you are patient, perhaps by the end of next year...

Ab

Thank you Ab, I would be very interested in developing project of a Dutch ship from this period. One question and perhaps it’s my own mistake, as I looked through your PDF on my phone, but I didn’t happen to catch the names of any of the vessels you have modeled, am I missing something?

Thank you,

JJ

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

No, in the book I did not mention the names, but in the building reports on the vessels on the forums I think I did. Actually there are only two big ones: the Alkmaar and the Akerboom. The first one is a re-used hull from a project about a 160 foot long VOC vessel. The last one is the one with the hanging sails that is also on the Amsterdam picture. This one was based on adapted plans from a book 'Hollandse Tweedekker 1660/1670'. If that's the one you want you better try to get the plans from the book. On second thought I might have them digitally. I will have a look tomorrow. Time for bed now. 🙂

Ab

Hello JJ,

Here are the files I have. There is a fbm.file which can be opened in the Delftship program (free downloadable here:https://download.delftship.net/DSFree.php), it may help when you are choosing your scale. The scale of the file is 1 : 1, Measurements are in meters. man of war 1680.fbm

There is a body plan, a top view and an elevation as made by my great help Rene Hendrickx on the basis of the Hohenzollermodel.

spantenraam.JPG.8ece6d05711c12aa9c396def6a31dada.JPGzijaanzicht.JPG.517d94b4efa36ff8d6cb7e49f751618b.JPG

229657328_topview.PNG.2235f9cc5134096bc607fe6b8541ab90.PNG

Here are some screenshots that may be helpful:

193571341_Knipsel1.JPG.a21e902dbc06c3a914f1e39492e4ef9a.JPG1324776694_Knipsel2.JPG.5c3e049f0e57889bcebcefd24cce6cd8.JPG306011341_Knipsel3.JPG.252abefb52825fb877a808f88305e8eb.JPG

Knipsel.PNG.ade7c97b1499edcf543d3c08fe6dc6d6.PNG

Of course I don't know your level of building and working with plans, but this worked for me.

Once you have your hull ready we can talk about decorations, beakhead, deck furniture and rigging, but that's another stage....

I advise you to lay your hands on the book (by Heinrich Winter) with the original draughts and lots of pictures of the model, which was sadly destroyed in WWII. It is only available as second hand.

Let me know if there is more you need.

Good luck,

Ab

On 11/30/2022 at 2:58 AM, Ab Hoving said:

Hello JJ,

Here are the files I have. There is a fbm.file which can be opened in the Delftship program (free downloadable here:https://download.delftship.net/DSFree.php), it may help when you are choosing your scale. The scale of the file is 1 : 1, Measurements are in meters. man of war 1680.fbm

There is a body plan, a top view and an elevation as made by my great help Rene Hendrickx on the basis of the Hohenzollermodel.

spantenraam.JPG.8ece6d05711c12aa9c396def6a31dada.JPGzijaanzicht.JPG.517d94b4efa36ff8d6cb7e49f751618b.JPG

229657328_topview.PNG.2235f9cc5134096bc607fe6b8541ab90.PNG

Here are some screenshots that may be helpful:

193571341_Knipsel1.JPG.a21e902dbc06c3a914f1e39492e4ef9a.JPG1324776694_Knipsel2.JPG.5c3e049f0e57889bcebcefd24cce6cd8.JPG306011341_Knipsel3.JPG.252abefb52825fb877a808f88305e8eb.JPG

Knipsel.PNG.ade7c97b1499edcf543d3c08fe6dc6d6.PNG

Of course I don't know your level of building and working with plans, but this worked for me.

Once you have your hull ready we can talk about decorations, beakhead, deck furniture and rigging, but that's another stage....

I advise you to lay your hands on the book (by Heinrich Winter) with the original draughts and lots of pictures of the model, which was sadly destroyed in WWII. It is only available as second hand.

Let me know if there is more you need.

Good luck,

Ab

Ab, thank you, this is an incredible amount of information. I will attempt to open it shortly on Rhino and see what it does. I will keep you updated on the progress.

Thank you again,

JJ

• 3 weeks later...

@Ab Hoving  Seasons greetings my good man, and to all the other forum members as well!  I am pleased to share the final product, all framed and ready to hang on the wall at our coastal retreat.  This was a large print, and I wanted to make it look like it should be hanging in the Rijksmuseum (I know, good luck with that =), but truly, I did want a relatively bold frame to make it look as good as possible and like an antique.  Most importantly, the Admiral (and I) are very pleased with the end result, and I am thinking I would like to get a few more files to print out and frame if Ab and his son are still willing to share the fruits of their hard labor.  Ab, I truly hope you like the frame and the print!  Thanks so very much, you made our holidays so much better having this ready to be displayed proudly amongst our other art work!!!!  Happy Holidays, and thank you again!IMG_1163.thumb.jpeg.b4de5949e25ec02c11caeb25d86db286.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Our latest (2nd) addition in framed artwork using images from @Ab Hoving and Son.  It is an image of a pinas, the standard ship of the Dutch merchant fleet in the 17th century, and is cropped from the image entitled "A Ship Off the Coast".  The pinas was the standard ship of the Dutch merchant fleet in the 17th century, and the plate is inspired by a painting by Willem van de Velde the Younger.  I apologize that there is a reflection of a light fixture in the image, I will take better pictures as time permits, but I think it looks pretty nice and will look great hanging on the wall across from our other masterpiece from Ab and Son.

IMG_1512.thumb.jpeg.e991449d585fb730b3fae7acfcb7c398.jpeg

Edited by HardeeHarHar