HMS Victory circa 1765-1791 by Steve Anderson - 1:64 scale

You're doing one incredible model, Steve.   The details just blow me away.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Part 10 The Quarterdeck.

This phase of the ship construction was really fun and rewarding. What I'd visualized years before was becoming a reality.

Utilizing photos of the 1765 models, while making notations on G. F. Campbell's drawings (Longridge),  enlarged to 1:64 scale, I was able to reconstruct the late 18th Century elegant version of Victory.

Building the gangways connecting the forecastle to the quarterdeck was the first order of the day. A nice little project with ladders and turned pillars in red that support the descending rail and aft part of the gangway. The quarterdeck balustrade is framed up so all the pieces interlock, then glued, for greater strength. Basswood is used for all such structures.  Stanchions are lathe turned.

Planking and grates were next. I kept planking more open here for better visibility to the upper deck details. Believe me there's a lot of stuff on the decks below that no one will ever see unless they have a fiberoptic scope to poke through a gunport.

Stag horns, kevels, and shot lockers were next. Finally 6 short twelves were laid in.

More to come and thanks for your interest and comments.

DSC05275.JPG

DSC05398.JPG

Victory 1765 g.jpg

Victory 1765 f.jpg

We might as well get a view of the Captain's quarters through the framing of the poop deck. The Master's cabin can be seen on the larboard side just under the poop deck break and the Secretary's cabin on the starboard side. Aft with the checkered flooring is the Captains' dining and day cabins opening on to the balcony. What a magnificent view it must have been.DSC05397.thumb.JPG.06b3361a2ffd361792b0714e53161b4e.JPGDSC05396.thumb.JPG.e407cd2a08dd49c683324e5a4f3327cc.JPGDSC05388.thumb.JPG.373651ab92962f03aa3fdc0228691352.JPG

Rather late to the party, and I'm going to be a party pooper... but while awaiting commissioning on land/in drydock she was at light load.

After commissioning she would move to fitting out where her masting, portables were loaded on board, and she would pass into deeper water further down-river or to sea before receiving (all her) ordnance from lighters from the ordnance wharf. (And she would again be offloaded to lightship condition before re-docking for her subsequent refits and rebuilds each time). The cill of the drydock is fairly shallow even at spring tides, and the draught of the larger ships was too high to get in/out in to the wharves or docks while at deep draught.

Note that none of the Admiralty models are armed when depicted on the ways, and have flag staves in place of her masts and along the bulwarks in some cases.

Hi Lieste,

I am fully aware of what you say. Earlier in my build log I explained that I am building a modern hybrid version Victory, Not an exact copy of the 1765 version. More accurately she should be bread and butter construction, as in the contemporary models of the time, not plank on frame.

Further she will not be displayed on the ways when finished. That was just the building board. So you're not a party pooper after all.

Steve 

The ship's wheel.

About 20 years ago, after the lower deck was completed, it was time to fabricate the rudder. The steering gear assembly, consisting of the tiller, tiller sweep, and tackle, resides just below the middle deck framing. It was built to be fully operational. Over the years, deck by deck, I made sure the tiller ropes were passed up through the structure. With so many mini-projects which are the sum of the whole involving ship building, the wheel was on the back burner of my mind. How and the heck was I going to build it?

As an artist, if I don't have a solution, I bypass it and work on other parts of the task at hand. The elephant in the room will tell me when it's ready. Finally I was approaching the point where I had to come up with the solution.

My long time friend, Simon, suggested 3-D printing. I gave him the scaled drawings (McKay) and photos of Victory's helm. In "Solid Works" he reproduced the wheel with all the numbers crunched for printing. This was sent off and when it came I knew it would not withstand the sands of time. Too fragile. It broke just trying handle an installation. The spokes were the problem.

Victorywheel.thumb.jpg.685220de58ccdba8a45cd89cf1ee22b8.jpgVictoryhelm.thumb.jpg.f9d514f57076931db811ebc886ae6ac5.jpg

The time and energy to try a method which failed was not wasted. It was the catalyst that lit the light bulb of a successful solution.

In my studio is a large cabinet full of 1:32 models of WWI airplanes. I use Albion Alloys Ltd. Nickle tubing for turnbuckles for tensioning the rigging.  0.7mm o.d. x 0.5mm i.d tubing telescoped over .05mm tubing would look perfect.

I turned the wheels, hubs, and barrel on my lathe. I built a fixture, that I can't seem to find, to center everything. The tubing is cut to proper lengths by rolling sharp #11 Xacto blade over it. I twist the tip of the blade inside the tubing to remove burrs and file the outside edges to round them off. After a couple layers of paint they appear to be lathe turned. The whole assembly is very strong.

After installation I gathered the tiller ropes, clamped the rudder to one side, did seven wraps around the barrel, and spliced the ropes. Once the rudder was centered, the splice disappeared below decks. I had a working ship's wheel that turned the rudder. After showing my wife and a few friends how it worked, I came down from cloud nine and decided to stop doing that. I came to the realization that I don't have a miniature boatswain to fix it if something wears out.

helmcropped200dpi.jpg.2a79d0973e149fc7298f4bcba2bb6eed.jpg

stunning build, love it, may i ask what colour red are you using,

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

An amazing model, thanks for sharing your progress.  I can understand why this has taken so long!

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

After completion of the quarter deck and poop deck it was time for a side excursion of a one off small project... the Admiral's barge. The design I chose was a carvel planked Pinnace single bank rowing platform. The oarsmen were staggered fore and aft with longer sweeps for speed. The crew was twelve at the oars plus the coxswain at the tiller. These boats were long and narrow. The barge on 1765 model of Victory scales out close to 40 feet.

Using Photoshop I elongated the the profile by adding two extra rowing stations amidships then made multiple copies of the frame stations to paste on the Renshape blocks for cutting on the jigsaw.

Admiral's barge 40 foot.jpg

Admiral's barge 40ft 2.jpg

DSC05658.JPG

DSC05662.JPG

When all blocks were cut out they were aligned upside down on a flat surface covered with wax paper and glued together. Shaping was done with sanding blocks to match the frame lines. I traced the outline that would be the top of the boat on a scrap piece of maple, cut that with the band saw and glued the boat hull plug to that. I then discovered that by saving the cut off sections I could use those as clamps during the framing process.

Next, the keel clamps. The whole hull construction is 1/8" wide thin strips of Basswood. The keel was laminated to the proper thickness, When dry both sides were carefully block sanded. On the upper side where the keel meets the hull wood 1/8" spacer blocks attached.

The plug was sprayed with a couple of coats of clear lacquer then waxed so nothing would stick.

Assembly was pretty straight forward. I centered the keel and taped it down fore and aft. Starting from the center thin strips, extra long were soaked in water for about 30 seconds. I did some pre-forming around a 1" wood dowel. I inserted the piece between the keel spacers with a small drop of glue and with smaller dowels rolled pressed to the hull and keel then attached the ends on both sides with a couple dabs of glue. Taped it in place with some blue tape, fit up the outer clamps, added another 1/8" spacer on each side of the frame. Repeated same until complete. Planking was done in the usual manner. Cutting hull loose along the sheer line established by the upper strake was pretty easy with a sharp No.11 Xacto blade.

More sanding, primer, painting was next. I mixed a warm white with a touch of yellow and deck tan for the hull. Pure white is too bright for a scale model. As in a painting white should be reserved for that super white sparkle reflected by the Sun.

DSC05716.JPG

DSC05698.JPG

DSC05722.JPG

DSC05731.JPG

DSC05743.JPG

DSC05551.JPG

Your model is a dream. A model of one of of the most famous ships in her original (as far as we know today) appearance.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

EXREMELY beautiful model!  Like your carvings, the scratch built pinnace is something everyone should see and aspire to.

PLEASE do NOT take this as a criticism, but rather as a question only. Is there a reason you used Blomefield pattern guns instead of Armstrong pattern?  Your title is 1765-1778 so the use of the Blomefield guns is confusing to me as they did not come into use until 1787 (Caruana, The History of English Sea Ordnance, Vol. II, page 257)

THANK YOU for sharing your build!

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

1 hour ago, allanyed said:

EXREMELY beautiful model!  Like your carvings, the scratch built pinnace is something everyone should see and aspire to.

PLEASE do NOT take this as a criticism, but rather as a question only. Is there a reason you used Blomefield pattern guns instead of Armstrong pattern?  Your title is 1765-1778 so the use of the Blomefield guns is confusing to me as they did not come into use until 1787 (Caruana, The History of English Sea Ordnance, Vol. II, page 257)

THANK YOU for sharing your build!

Allan

Hmmmm, 78 ... 87 ...  could be lysdexia.  (dyslexia 😉 )

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

Christian... Thank you very much.

"A model of one of of the most famous ships in her original (as far as we know today) appearance." Pretty good summation.

Albert...Thanks.

Allan...Thank you for kind compliments and the Bloomfield/Armstrong question.

I could go with Johnny's answer above, "Hmmmm, 78 ... 87 ...  could be lysdexia.  (dyslexia 😉 )", but I won't.

In Brian Lavery's book, " Nelson's Navy", both types, page 82, are discussed. Frankly I chose the Bloomfield pattern due its cleaner design and the button loop. The loop ensures the breaching rope will never flip off the button for however many decades the ship will last. In the '90s there was next to nothing available on the 1765 -1800 version of Victory. All I was able to find for Bloomfield was "late 18th Century", which fit the window.

I think I'm going to have to stretch my span of years in the title. Thanks for the info.

Cheers,

Steve

• 1 month later...

Magificient. This is absolutely fantastic!

-‐-‐--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Completed HMB Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

Completed HM Armed Cutter Alert by Vanguard Models

Completed 18ft cutter and 34ft launch by Vanguard Models

Completed Pen Duick by Artesania Latina

• 6 months later...

Part 11 Road to completion

It has been a long, long road. After a two year break (October 2020 to October 2022) from painting to finish Victory. Here's the last few details.

Another one of those mini projects that was set aside was how to make rigols. Using 20 guage copper wire, anealed over the gas stove, I drilled holes in a wood block to install brass pins for shaping.  Small pieces of manela file folder stock were glued underneath and cut to shape useing an X-acto knife. Drilled holes in the hull to press fit the finished rigol. Bingo. Problem solved.

Next came the gangway rails. Photos explain.

DSC05470.JPG

DSC05480.JPG

DSC05489.JPG

DSC05500.JPG

DSC05496.JPG

The cap rail installed on the gangway railing.

Druxey kindly pointed out to me that I had used New Times Bold type face for the VICTORY letters. This reqired a repainting of the counter, which I'm much happier with.

So, along comes a unexpected fun detail that adds so much. While fabricating the ensign fixture and staff I decided to make the ensign. I did this using Photoshop. Just adds an extra magesty to the ship.

One of the last extra finishing touches was I went over the hand cut balistrades airbrushed in gold leaf and with a small brush over painted, glazed burnt umber washes to give a 3D woven look that is seen in the 1765 model. Tedious but was all done in a day. 

Victory was now finished to where I wanted it to be my the end of October, 2022. She was now ready for a museum quality case.

Next in Part 12

The Case of the Case

DSC05541.JPG

DSC05528.JPG

DSC05811.JPG

DSC05832.JPG

DSC05369.JPG

new Victory font copy.jpg

Edited by Steve Anderson

Part 12

The Case of the Case

In the latter part of October, 2022, I drew up plans for the display case that would protect Victory from dust, cats, and the few individuals that can't resist touching something. I did this "Old School", something I really enjoy, with drafting tools and a mechanical pencil on my drafting table. Dimentions of the base are 54 1/2" L  x 17 5/8" W x 3 1/2" T. The case frame for the plex is 53" L x 16" x 21" T. I chose Maple for the material and Minwax "Gunstock" for the stain.

I've built smaller cases before and a few furniture pieces. I estimated about a month to do this. Then the rains came through the Central Coast of California.

To be continued.

DSC05745.JPG

DSC05757.JPG

DSC05796.JPG

Congratulations!  Very nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me