Wasa by md1400cs - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

Hi Michael - nice tops. di you make them by hand or with your milling machine? It seems it would have been easier to cut the profiles with the milling machine & them slice them off -  I`ve seen many people do that with gun carriages. I found it a bit difficult to make them all by hand & keep them close to identical to each other,but the effort was worth it.

/Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Nigel,  

Thanks for your comments. You have been one of my teachers so always appreciate your thoughts.

Yes, I do believe that she will be fully fitted with running lines as well as sails. Now those will be other learning curves that will need to be mastered. Though several awesome Vasa builds logs here will allow me to follow in their footsteps. The only variables are for accuracy with running rigging lines, Mark and Frank have debated these issues on their build logs. And, of course, we are still waiting for the Hocker Vasa II book !! (supposedly the rigging bible of this ship).

For the sails my son's wife has one of those "computer" type sewing machines, and she promised that she would do the stitching. Karl (Karleop) and Frank (FrankM) both have great photos of their sails for the ship on their logs--(:-) Both look superb.

------------------------

Mark,

No I did not use the milling machine It did not occur to me actually, not having seen how to use it for those details. May think about this for the next four. Hmmm, 

PKD123

Thanks for dropping by, first time I see you in the yard, sweet!

Again thanks for the LIKES and just dropping by.

Michael

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Frank,

Thanks for dropping in, and for you nice words - always appreciated. I have also learned a lot following your build log.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Real  nice work on the top Michael......... that style top looks like it would be hard to do, but it seems like you're getting to be a real pro at this stuff :P

frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Michael looks like you are doing a great job on the model, I like the details for the platform.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Michael for give me for using your thread to contact Ed May, but the PM's are not working. Ed I will be passing through Port Alberni on September 10th would like to get in touch please PM me.

Thanks Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Frank (riverboat) thanks for always dropping in and your very nice words

Edwin, my pleasure glad that you found some helpful ideas.

B.E.  thanks so much, your work is so well known. I very much appreciate the acknowledgment. Very touching indeed.

Michael, thanks for visiting my log, very nice of you to post some comments.

-------------

Thanks Mates, your visits are always a motivator to improve my efforts.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Fantastic work as always Michael! I've been meaning to ask; What are you using for the tiny nails like in your crow's nest? I see a railroad spike on the bench, but it looks like it would be too big even with the head cut off. Are you painting them black before inserting them? Wonderful details!

post-218-0-87958700-1440949050.jpg

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Lawrence thanks for dropping by, as well as your always very nice comments.

Marc, thanks for your post as well

Buck, also thanks for dropping by, regarding those tiny holes, well they are just that - holes.

I was going to straighten out those very small RR spikes, but they were too big. Turns out that just drilling tiny holes gave the perfect “tromp l'oeil” illusion that you noticed. I also did the same for the weather deck gratings. Looking from a “normal distance” works for me. I also thought of inserting black fishing line, tried a couple and "saw" no difference, so holes it was. Same for the mast rope stays.

PS: The Proxxon Micromot Flexishaft is an awesome accessory. It will accept super small drill bits and keep true smooth rotation, a wonderfully useful tool.

Cheers,

MIchael

post-735-0-12423100-1441056926_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-89587400-1441056932_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-42018100-1441056940_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-21337700-1441056949_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-17541400-1441056957_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

I like that jig you're using to hold those small parts!  Looks pretty versatile with the adjustment for different size parts. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Frank,

Yes noted. Thanks,

I did take that into consideration for this platform. The others will need much wider openings for the ratline ropes. this one is the easy one. The ropes, as you know wrap above at the next cap. Yours, BTW looks excellent.

Here are a couple of pics of where I am so far (nothing has been glued into place yet.

I hope that I'm not missing something that I don't yet see??

Michael

post-735-0-76369000-1441214783_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-38463700-1441214795_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael

"I hope that I'm not missing something that I don't yet see??"

In my case this are usually the glasses...

But generally I would like to introduce you to a certain Mr. Murphy, who says on such a subject:

"The probability of a certain part to fail, get lost or missing is in reverse proportion to its accessibility!"

That means that you only have to consider which  areas are practically inaccessible after finishing your ship - that's where you have to look for forgotten details. Easy, isn't it?

;)

But in fact I just wanted to say: Outstanding, excellent, beautiful work.

Cheers

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for your very nice compliments, very much appreciated.

Yes Murphy’s Law is certainly a ghost for millions of people, many know his name, but many more are visited by him not knowing who he is, but nonetheless he seem's to be a constant annoyance in their lives J

----------------------------

As a follow up to your last suggestion (the semi-nudes), I wasn’t comfortable with the results; though better than before. These pics, chronologically,  go through the history of my obsession with looking backwards at this build. This bit has finally been put to rest.

As has been stated by other builders as well, this part also highlights how the Corel deck is too narrow.

Cheers,

Michael

post-735-0-49992500-1441297158_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-87881200-1441297168_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-28604600-1441297177_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-26460600-1441297186_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-67553500-1441297193_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Mates,

Slowly moving forward actually, surprising indeed. At this stage I am discovering, as all other Vasa builders at MSW have noted, are the rigging issues with this ship.

It appears as if the three main kits all have variations for positioning lines, and also where they should attach.

So even adding a few eyelets to the lower bowsprit mast has its issues. Karl (karlop) was kind in sending me photos of his Billings rigging plans. I am also following Frank’s rigging ideas [fmodajar] (I plan to add sails so need to add blocks, not shown on the Corel rigging sheets), lastly I do have the Museum plan sheets. What’s still MIA is the Vasa II book, which was due late last year.

Regarding the photos;

Decided to use the Corel included triple blocks. They needed a full facelift, but I’m happy with how they came out.

Using Chuck’s ropes, and blocks (Syren) and I am very happy sourcing from his company.

Decided to “shrink” the eyelets, I found them to be out of the box, a bit too out of scale based on photos I have seen of the 1/10th and Clayton’s as well. I initially had used the Brass Black to darken the pieces, but too messy. So will just paint them as I go along.

The flat black paint is also great as it removes any shine from the rope’s glue dabs.

Platform in place but not attached, need to add lower platform braces and, of course the chainplate bits.

As always thanks for dropping by.

Cheers,

Michael

post-735-0-37784900-1442081100_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-49721300-1442081108_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-97649200-1442081115_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-60189700-1442081123_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-74175400-1442081138_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-88878200-1442081147_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-00718200-1442081156_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-64851100-1442081163_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Nice job cleaning up those blocks. As with the rest of the build, you're doing a fine job with your rigging Michael! 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Nice work. I am using a mixture or Corel`s plans & all the photos I can find of Clayton`s fine model. I can tell you that Mantua`s rigging plans are pretty much useless - not even close. Apparently the Vasa book will not be out by the end of the year - maybe by spring.

/Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Hi Mates,

As a continuation of my (one last time) venting (;-) This is what we Wasa builders are dealing with regarding rigging/block sheet inconsistencies.

Pic 1- Corel plan sheet (no sails, just mostly standing rigging)

Pic 2- Vasa museum plan sheet with sails

Pic 3- Billings plan sheet with sails

Pic 4- Billings with sails from building instructions (downloaded this online from      the Billings website

And Mark just posted that his Mantua rigging instructions were weak as well.

“Hat off” to Karl and Frank, who struggled through to also, add their beautifully detailed sails.

So it’s a “crap shoot” with this part of the kit’s accurate detailing.

---------------------------

Pics 5 & 6

Oh, and then sometime back, I got a post from Fred Hocker. Loved the compliment of course!

But backtracking it still is. I have not built the kevels as of yet. And this was in regards to rigging no less.

Michael,
The guns look very good, especially the hardware on the carriages, right on the money. If you are removing things, you could also remove the pinrail above the gun in the last picture and replace it with a big cleat for the mainsheet. We have this feature wrong on the ship in the museum - our bad!

Fred

So removed the pinrails but they left some glue scars

OK  onwards

Michael

post-735-0-67390500-1442166480_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-39453100-1442166488_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-30319800-1442166497_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-40641300-1442166504_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-88395600-1442166513_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-89388000-1442166520_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Michael,

Great job in bringing the Corel supplied triple blocks back to life! They sure did look horrible coming out of the Corel box!

As for the rigging, we feel your pain! It seems like we are spending more time researching and trying to make sense of everything than doing the actual rigging! 

Mark (Marktiedens) log is a great resource. He seems to be getting the Vasa rigging closest to how it might actually have been!

Look forward to seeing your progress.

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mates,

Small update, but time consuming, as I was also working on the mast blocks;

with the platform and the mast I thought it best to pre-rig some of the blocks, as well as the deadeyes before mounting. This (rigging) is new territory for me, so I hope that it makes sense later. I did not feel comfortable assembling the platform without the rigging. Also referring to three dif. plan sets had its issues, and settled on what you see here (mostly from Vasa Museum and Billings). Pics are self-explanatory so keeping it brief.

Onto the flag mast, cap, and framing structure. Again thanks everyone for dropping by.

Cheers,

Michael

post-735-0-31489800-1443056942_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-70398100-1443056950_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-35378200-1443056958_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-93311700-1443056964_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-48930000-1443056973_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-23651700-1443056981_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-53824400-1443056988_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-56220000-1443056995_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-01614400-1443057002_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-85516600-1443057008_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

PS: Pics loaded all out of order AGAIN Hmmmm (:-)

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Makes perfect sense to me to do as much of the rigging and prep-work off of the ship as you can, before attaching them permanently.  Very nice work! :dancetl6:   Can I ask where you picked up the adjustable jig with the pins in it. Is that a MM product? Looks handy! 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

PS: Pics loaded all out of order AGAIN Hmmmm (:-)

Michael,

You are skipping a step in your picture posting that is leaving them on your post as an attachments, but without a specified order, so they'll just be wherever the uploader puts them.

You are clicking the 'choose file' button, and then selecting your pictures and clicking 'attach this file', but that just puts them all at the bottom of your post as attachments, in whatever order.

To finish up and make things neat, place the cursor in your post wherever you want the picture to appear, and click on the "Add to Post" link for each picture, in the order you want them to appear:

post-14925-0-46458400-1443063102_thumb.jpg

When you do that, you'll see that your in-progress post now has the attachment, with a number, and the name of the file listed in a specific spot in your post, like this:

post-14925-0-87347400-1443062957.jpg

Then when you are done and click "Add Reply", all of the pictures will appear at the location you've chosen.  If you forget (or choose) not to click the "Add to Post" on any picture, it will still appear at the bottom of your post as a loose attachment.