Wasa by md1400cs - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

Hi Michael,

In my opinion, the main trick here is to create something to scale that looks reasonable.

As you noted, the Corel deck cutout is quite a bit too large.

In reality, the opening is about the same diameter as the mast, and as can be seen it is centred directly behind the mast.

I believe Clayton had to exaggerate the offset of the stay somewhat, due to scale issues with blocks and ropes.
On Clayton's model, the stay appears nearly tangential to the mast, whereas on the real ship it does not appear to be more than to the side of the central mast timber.

It seems that with the Corel model, the problem gets even greater due to the smaller scale.

(Which may be why they made the deck opening larger)
The Corel mizzen stay blocks end up being a size close to the diameter of the main mast, which is clearly overkill for a mizzen stay of the size of the Vasa's.

I think Fred has mentioned earlier that the 1/10 does not represent the most recent findings, but I would still think that exceeding the correctness of the 1/10 would be quite an accomplishment!
(The 1/10 model provides no solution to this problem and is just rigged with the ropes clashing. )

Cheers,

Peter

Peter,

Thanks again for your very astute observations. Your constructive expertise is really very much appreciated. It certainly adds to my novice nautical knowledge. Rigging this ship along with sails is demanding a steep learning curve on my part.

That said much of my learning, for this Vasa, has been based on looking at photos of the 1:1, the 1/10th, Clayton’s, the museum plans sheets, and of course other Vasa builders here on MSW.

This build has gone through many stages of work, sitting collecting dust, and returning to the project. Between these absences I have increased my skills, discovered techniques as well as reading from the likes of experts such as Anderson.

Adding to this mix of learning was also the occasional excellent constructive criticism from member’s posts. These in the aggregate have increased my core knowledge base. AND the so many amazing compliments that have nurtured this build along the way as well!! :D

Peter, comments regarding the size of the mizzenmast blocks will now gnaw at me as this overkill stares me in the face. You are, of course 100% correct – AND I do appreciate that you mentioned this. That said I’m just not sure that I want to remove that stay, re-serve a new thinner rope, add a mouse, seriously shave down the size of those two triple blocks, and try to re-attach re worked bits to the main mast (with an off-set) that will also require moving the knight back to center. My concern is also removing, and then having to re-attach the line around the mast with so many shrouds and lines already in place. Hmmm?? –But I will be staring at this every time I look at it. PS: I probably will go back to fix this - it is SO out of scale indeed. grrrrr

I “sorta" new that those two blocks were too big. Thought of using two of Chuck’s 1/4” triple blocks, but they “looked” way too small. Corel’s two smaller triple blocks were also too small, and were, well disgusting. So went with the Corel larger - that I “detailed”.

And now I also learn that the 1/10th is just a rigging mess (did not follow all the forum during Clayton’s brilliant example).

I did know that the 1981 museum rigging plan sheet is not accurate.  This sheet, as well as the Billings rigging plans have been my “go to” sources for attaching lines, pulleys to all of the yards and sails. There are no alternatives. I will use Billings regarding pin locations. Those sheets include the sail rope locations.

In the meantime the VASA II is years behind being published as it is facing its Swedish bureaucratic perfect storm; a book that has been completed, along with the latest rigging details for the entire ship. Still unavailable as of the end of 017.

============================

Yes you are correct given scaling - it is hard to accurately replicate scale for pulleys, or deadeyes (which should not exceed half the width of its corresponding mast) learned this from a member who kindly posted this during my bowsprit platform work – I changed the deadeyes after reading his post – I had used the kit mid-size, not the smallest. BTW even those are a bit “off” scale. being larger than half the width of that small bowsprit area mast.

===========================

Apologies for this inordinately long venting post.  I need to be done here. Just need to attach the two mizzen yards, and the one furled sail. Then go from bow to stern searching for the correct pin locations for the 100’s of lines --- Then it’s an 8th century visit. JUST WOOD - I plan on an open cut-out hull project. I'll add the truncated mast.

Again I DO very much appreciate the expertise, the likes, and compliments that members have shared on this log. Thanks Mates (;-)

Sincerely,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hi Michael,

There are many aspects of the Vasa that have conflicting evidence with no clear cut solution.

I have had the privilege of participating in many discussions with Clayton, Fred (and further back Lars Bruzelius) in regards to the Vasa and its technical details.

I too have the Corel kit, but have become somewhat bogged down in the build and am currently building WWI aircraft models instead. :-/ 

Partly the mounting number of needed corrections, partly the ongoing wait for Vasa II.

I am very impressed with what you have accomplished with your model. The Corel kit is quite a bit of a challenge here.
Sorry if my comments are causing more work in the finishing up phase.
(In your place, I would probably leave it as is at this late stage of the build. At most pop the blocks out and only replace those. If there is still not enough room behind the mast.)
Regardless of what you do, it's still an excellent model.

Viking ship next?

Cheers,

Peter

I am quietly enjoying this excellent build-log, and I am hoping that you guys can enlighten me on something that I've seen mentioned a few times here:

What is, or what will be Vasa II?  A new kit?  A full-size replica project with appropriate draft and beam, in order to actually sail?

Whatever it is, it sounds interesting.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Peter, Dave: Thanks appreciated. I have decided to do something about the "problem" that I have with those two blocks. I'll update when I have a plan.

Hubac: Very kind of you to follow along. Your work is indeed very impressive.

Here is the answer to your question.

MORE than you probably ever wanted to know :default_wallbash:

VASA II will be the companion to the first book.

Here I copied and pasted from the Vasa specific forum Fred Hocker's information; for us Vasa builders it has been so frustrating waiting for this "bible" of the ship's rigging.

IMG_8145.thumb.jpg.8fa04d8f0ae68d67170a6a4ba13e6dc2.jpg

=================================================

Since everyone wants to know, I thought I would start a thread here for status updates on the Vasa rigging volume (Vasa II). PS: thread is from 2014

Part 1 – The archaeological evidence (Hocker)
The first part of the book presents and analyzes the find material from Vasa which is relevant to the understanding of how the ship was rigged and sailed. Chapters are organized by functional groups and vary in length, depending on the amount of find material. In each chapter, the relevant finds are described and illustrated in sufficient detail to allow useful conclusions to be drawn. Due to the number of finds and the fact that many of them were made on a production basis in specialized workshops, it is not necessary to present every object individually – readers are referred to the Vasa Museum’s online finds database for such information.

Chapter 2: Hull, including construction (Hocker)
This covers the fixed part of the rigging material which was part of the ship’s structure or fastened permanently to it:
1. Mast steps and partners
2. Chainwales
3. Bitts
4. Catheads and fish davit
5. Fixed sheaves in bulwarks, chesstree, etc.
6. Belaying devices (kevels, pinrails, etc.)
7. Ironwork

Chapter 3: Spars (Hocker, Nilsson)
Spars are the masts and yards, the wooden poles which carry the sails and allow them to be adjusted to meet the wind at an optimum angle and transfer the wind’s energy to the ship.
Chapter 4: Tops (Hocker)

Tops are the round platforms at the heads of the masts which provide working space for handling the rigging as well as sharpshooter positions in battle.

Chapter 5: Tackle (Howe, Lindblom, Hocker) 
Tackle is all of the movable wooden and metal parts of the rigging which connect the sails to the spars and the hull and allow them to be raised, lowered and controlled
1. Deadeyes (Lindblom)
2. Blocks (Howe)
3. Parrels (Hocker)
4. Euphroes (Hocker)
5. Fairleads (Hocker)
6. Other (Hocker)

Chapter 6: Rope (Magnus, Seeberg, Hocker)
The rope represents one of the groundbreaking studies in this volume. It is a common find on archaeological sites but rarely presented or studied in detail, so this chapter receives special emphasis and extra material on the materials and manufacturing processes.

Chapter 7: Sails (Bartoš, Bengtsson)
The sails are the most unusual find among all of the artefacts found with Vasa, and so this chapter is also given extra weight. 

Chapter 8: Capstans and windlass (Donohue)
Capstans are the human-powered machines mounted on the deck, which make it possible to lift the heavy weights of the anchors and sails.

Chapter 9: Steering (Hocker)
Vasa preserves the only known complete example of the whipstaff steering system, the most common form of steering gear on large ships from the late Middle Ages until about 1700. 

Chapter 10: Anchors (Hocker, Ward)
Anchors are essential for operation of the ship, and all parts of the anchoring system survive, including anchors, stocks, buoys and cables. 
Chapter 11: Navigation equipment (Hocker, Pipping)
The navigation equipment (compasses,timekeeping devices, sounding leads, etc.) is included in this volume as it is essential to sailing the ship.

Chapter 12: Reconstructing Vasa’s rig (Hocker, Pipping, Stolt)
This chapter synthesizes all of the archaeological evidence and comparative material in a reconstruction of the rigging of Vasa.

Part 2 – Rigging and Sailing Vasa (Pipping)

The second part takes the archaeological data as the departure point for a more wide-ranging contextual examination of the rigging and sailing of a large ship such as Vasa. Where the first part focused more on objects, this part focuses on process and meaning to explore the relevance of this find to larger questions of ergonomics and organisation, resource utilization, and operational implications.

Chapter 13: Ship performance and the sailing environment of the Baltic Sea
The geographic and climatological context is examined, as are the operational environment and the strategic limits within which the ship functioned. The essential parameters of the ship’s performance, such as speed, stability and weatherliness, are discussed in order to establish how well the ship was suited to its likely sailing routes and conditions. 

Chapter 14: Money, materials and men (Hocker)
This chapter concentrates on the administrative framework for outfitting Swedish naval vessels and the resource base from which the raw material were drawn, as well as the organization of the processes of producing rigging and assembling it into a functioning rig. It addresses the economic, environmental and social factors influencing the production of sails, rope and tackle. It makes use of the historical documents relating to the operation of the Stockholm navy yard, where the ship was rigged and fitted out, as well as the remains of the ship itself.

Chapter 15: Rigging the ship
The process of rigging, starting with a bare hull and progressing to a fully outfitted ship ready to sail, is followed in detail, with attention on the manpower requirements, the organizational challenges, and the technical limitations imposed by the particular materials and methods used.
Chapter 16: Sailing the ship

The chapter opens with an analysis of crew organization and Vasa’s one, brief sailing passage for what they say about the ship’s performance and the level of competence of the crew. The rest of the chapter follows a typical passage across the Baltic, based on the sequence of sailing orders recorded for the Swedish navy in the 17th century. It presents the different maneuvers which the ship was expected to perform and how they should have been carried out. The ergonomic requirements are analyzed, and the ship is placed in the context of what is known about Baltic sailing in the 17th century.

Chapter 17: Sailing a modern reconstruction (Morgens and Litcofsky)
Trials made using the modern reconstruction Kalmar Nyckel both confirmed certain hypotheses about the how this rig functioned and raised new questions about the nature of the evidence used to study 17th-century seamanship. The relevance of Kalmar Nyckel for the study of how Vasa sailed is studied, as are the basic limitations of experimental archaeology.

Chapter 18: Conclusions (Pipping and Hocker)

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Thanks, MD!  Well, this sounds like essential reading for anyone that wants to more fully understand these ships for the machinery they were.  I have one Hocker book on the Vasa - a bit more of a general overview of all the topics he expounds upon in these two volumes.  Maybe one day, when I'm feeling a little wealthy, I'll invest in volume I.  It is heartening that the people at the Vasa museum have done so much to try and understand the full import of the Vasa as an archeological find.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Hi Marc,

Especially if you are interested in the ship as an archeological find, Vasa I is for you.
Very interesting chapters on the deterioration process on the sea floor, the recovery of the ship and it's many finds.
It also has in separate sheets new drawings of the hull, decks and cross section (5 plans) plus a colour 3D bottom survey map of the sea floor in the area of the wreck site.

For those who may be interested in the older discussions 2006-2013, they mostly took place here:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/SwedishWarshipWasa/conversations/messages

In regards to the proportions of the stays, the numbers for their diameter given by Fred back then were:
Forestay: 115 mm

Mainstay: 135 mm

Mizzenstay: 85 mm , possibly even 75 mm

The stay diameters were apparently derived from the strop scoring in the stay deadeyes, so should be fairly accurate.

Also, Michael, it pains me to say this, but you're bound to find out once you get Vasa II anyway;

-None of the ropes were served on the Vasa, save for the clews on the sails, research has found.

The serving of the ropes on the 1/10 model date back from the 80s and is based on known practices from 18 century treatises and has unfortunately been found to be inaccurate.

It does make for very neat looking ropes though.

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by baskerbosse

Peter, Ha ha No I won’t read that book it will become a “Nightmare from Stockholm Street” . My thoughts today anyway:default_wallbash:

Having spent 1000+ hours (I think) really trying, to the best of my skill set, accurately add details to this effort, the last thing I need is to be read about so many other things that are also “not right”, when VASA II becomes available.

That said IT WILL BE an invaluable source for future Vasa builders – assuming, of course, that they don’t purchase the Corel example as a base kit.

SMALL UPDATE:

Turns out that there was no choice. I had to remove the mizzen stay shroud because the mouse was choking the mast. As I was moving towards installing the mizzen yard, it became clear that there would be no room for the yard rope through that block.

So decided to also remove that huge triple block at the base of the lower main. And just fix all those issues.

I did serve the ropes – like the look, and all the other stays had been served. Accuracy or not – will no longer really, at this point, stress over this anymore; now onto attaching the mizzen yards, and the lower sail - I’m already seeing several rigging differences for the lower mizzen sail depending on where I look for help. Oh well…..

=======================

PS: Yes Peter the Oseberg Viking long boat is next. Just wood!  What a relief that will be -- ha ha….And still THANKS again for pointing out those block issues 

Cheers,

Here were the issues and the fixes;

1.thumb.jpg.943088765dd319fd2e4fb21c2253d9d3.jpg2.thumb.jpg.5a51636bb198cbc0c393bdf81a3d0883.jpg3.thumb.jpg.d3750a687861b2f4c407b01669ad5015.jpg4.thumb.jpg.fdb266583161eddf0ce39c12ba1caa95.jpg5.thumb.jpg.9001994defec4a635f2ba5eaccc722aa.jpg6.thumb.jpg.d2d36f07c8d4658164528c591a35f3a9.jpg

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Very nice and clean. 

Looks much more like Clayton’s setup now.

Yes, there would be a lot of penned up research findings regarding the rigging. I fully expect the Vasa II book to be filled with both ‘aha’, and additional uncertainties and confusion.

Research has a tendency in general to go from ‘dead sure but wrong’ to ‘full of caveats but increasingly correct’.

For example, from memory, I believe Fred once pointed out that it would be warranted not to raise a mouse on the stays. It had been found that it was apparently not always done in the days, sometimes it was just a loop and there is no evidence either way... 

So there, an example of more information leading to less certainty. :-)

We had some interesting discussions covering many aspects of the rigging in the previous forum I mentioned, but there is bound to be even more not yet revealed information, so I keep waiting for the book! ;-)

One detail I noticed and pointed out to Fred (not many things you can point out to Fred!) was that the Vasa rigging was supplied by a scotsman. There is also a contemporary rigged bone model of the Danish ship ‘Norske Løve’ in Rosenborgs Castle which was also rigged by a scotsman. It shares many rigging similarities with the Vasa. For example the famous ‘mystery’ combination of ‘dutch’ caps and sheaves in the masts..

You might want to have a look.

There's an article on this forum:
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11869-ivory-ship-model-rosenborg-castle-denmark/

Nearly done now! 

And looking excellent!

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by baskerbosse

Peter,

Thanks, as always for your superlative level of knowledge regarding the Vasa and its mysteries. I very much appreciate your information.

I did find another photo of the Norske løve.

Made a couple of notations. Thanks for the thought, and the link. Very interesting that you “got one” over on Fred –

And indeed the rigging is very similar to Vasa.

===================================

00.thumb.JPG.39cf492ae49fe42780aacc128b555508.JPG

Minor update; getting the mizzen sail and its two yards ready for mounting. Here are a few updated shots along with comments.

Yes, nearly done – thanks so much for your very nice compliment as well.

Cheers,

1.thumb.jpg.e6bc8bb5225569742175b9b6b7823107.jpg2.thumb.jpg.4f9348d7a8f5e733073ef648d60c0177.jpg3.thumb.jpg.5caf23cf98171859b76eae4bdf93f0b8.jpg4.thumb.jpg.61f54024960b516287f25044140e6454.jpg5.thumb.jpg.bf34e5d074303f1378328aac0333b395.jpg6.thumb.jpg.2ae7355fb75eaca3dd07b670752b77fd.jpg7.thumb.jpg.a77182dd947d729c2ec37545abe84692.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Thanks!

That’s a good picture.

I was looking for one where the main halliard could be seen, but have not been able to yet.

Another omission on the 1/10 model?

Oh dear..

For those intersted in scandinavian rigging around this time, church ships can be a source of information, as long as one is careful. A lot of these have been subjected to multiple ‘renovations’ during their life, but rare ones have original rig or professionally restored:

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Models_of_ships_in_churches_in_Sweden#

Especially the one in Dalarö church is quite interesting. It has been renovated, but was found in need of renovation but with original rig by Sam Svensson who was heavily involved in the early Vasa efforts.

Prior to his work on the Vasa, Sam had spent some 30 years on researching these.

One of the aspects of rigging he investigated was the mast head, which he argued, based on these church ships (at least the ones with sufficently preserved rigging) the recovered masts of the Vasa, a mast recovered from the ship ‘Gröne Jägaren’, has a common theme of evolution back to the Viking masts

(There is an article ‘A Seventeeth Century Masthead’ by him in Mariners Mirror 48, 1962), specifically concerning how the mast head takes the load of the shrouds, but also the sheaves integrated in the mast practice.

But you are not rigging your Viking ship? ;-)

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by baskerbosse

Hi Michael, what can I say, just a beautiful build. You have certainly put a lot of effort with all of your so called fix's.

It's well worth the effort and well rewarding. Such a lovely build.

PS:- May I ask what wood did you use apart from the walnut on your hull?

kier

Saving for: HMS Vanguard...Victory models.

finished: Bluenose11...Billing Boats... (sorry no log.

Hi Mates,

Thanks for the likes much appreciated.

Peter No I will not rig the Viking ship - well the four ropes anyway. Intensions are to have a partially open outer hull, missing deck plank coverings, adding as much added details as possible with square nail cleats in as many locations that I can copy from photos from the Viking museum. Also will add the ballasting rocks. Will scratch build all of the shields, including leather strips for the hands. Those are my mental build plans - to be determined how it all works out.

This kit is just tooooo large to also add its sail. Mast will be mounted but with a truncated hight. I'm presently putting together hundreds of available photos and drawings for this project.

===============================

Regarding Vasa - Contracted a local Wood shop that is building the base. The ship will mount on a base that will replicate a weather deck/including treenails - in larger scale (prob. five planks across its width - with cuts along the way that will be tree-nailed. Then four antiqued brass Pegasus. A plexiglass case will cover the project. (still need to work-out how to secure the keel to the base).

IMG_8214.thumb.jpg.a69fe779fded901cc2f01381fe981975.jpg

Kier Thanks so much for following along, your clicks, and of course your very kind comments.

Regarding the wood, apart from that supplied with the kit, I also would purchase the woods below from Blick Art Materials store. These were available from Midwestern. Sadly Midwestern no longer produces these so useful hardwoods. Now only in sheet size planks. Leaving an easy supply source for me no longer available.

https://midwestproducts.com/collections/hardwoods

IMG_8209.thumb.jpg.14b14f2c56b6777836703fde3fc7c356.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Michael,

thank you for sharing your info regarding the wood used on the hull.

The hull for one sets it off nice. :) .... and the rest. just perfect:)

Saving for: HMS Vanguard...Victory models.

finished: Bluenose11...Billing Boats... (sorry no log.

Hi Michael,

Beautiful work. The march of archaeological progress can be a real problem - it can turn what we "knew" on its head. A model based on this can only be accurate to the best knowledge to date - subject to further discoveries. I am in awe of anyone who completes a ship model as complex as this, and you've done an amazing job of her.

By the way, regarding the Viking shields, you might be interested in this link. The Gokstad ship's shields alternated - one plain black and one plain yellow shield, then black, yellow etc. The black was probably charcoal with some kind of binding substance (I experimented back in the day with animal fat - it works well, but attracts files like you wouldn't believe), and the yellow is though to have been arsenic sulphide. Unfortunately, conservation techniques when she was discovered were not what they are now, and no trace of the pigment survives.

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

Hi Mates,

Installed the mizzen yards and the last furled sail.

Well, I do believe that all rigging has mostly been attached, except for a few upper mizzen sail lines, and other bits.

=================

An observation: I had initially a lot of doubts about adding sails. In retrospect happy that I took the leap. That said, the sails added (I’m estimating) probably 60% more required rigging than if I had just hung the yardarms without any sails at all.

Though as I had mentioned earlier – much appreciated the learning experience this provided.

Now will start at the bowsprit attach, and pin locate all of the 100s of ropes leading through to the stern.

Steven Thanks so much for your kind compliment, remarks, AND for your link. Excellent indeed.

Here are a few updated pics.

Cheers,

1.thumb.jpg.48b2de3f6f76587f135c8fe4e6127066.jpg2.thumb.jpg.08ec385b28b8c0a4a876f6d633c58be7.jpg3.thumb.jpg.e7f776e65debbd13584c3f653118db12.jpg4.thumb.jpg.5132e392a238bc8bec883dff86e09ef9.jpg5.thumb.jpg.ac0478c3cb9b24561018db5cb0750e4f.jpg6.thumb.jpg.80c437e50052d907c935ef5d00ac9c14.jpg7.thumb.jpg.376c4b9e2ad8e7c6f880882a9660d297.jpg8.thumb.jpg.d5c51a53286a003d8cfaf7cf27672211.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Micheal,

Have been on MSW since 2013 I have never seen (builds I have scanned) such a complete informative and educational build log. The narratives and pictures were like I was sitting beside you as you built. From this point on I think I will try to mimic the effort in my logs in the future, it tells the complete story.

Cannot add any praises you have not all ready received beautiful man just beautiful it really is awe inspiring, and falls under a museum quality build KUDOS.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Definitely the right choice adding the sails!

Looks great!
Is the mizzen yard going up a bit more? Fore end looks a bit close to the deck? Room for the sail to clear the deck? (with bonnet?)

Cool idea with the bottom of the display case as a weather deck (though you do know that the Vasa did not have treenailed weatherdeck?)

Looks nearly finished, and a great looking model!

cheers,

Peter

Hi Mates,

Sorry for the late thank you’s.

zappto: very appreciated - thank you

John: Oh! what can I say? – Thank you so much – I’m very happy that you find this log, and build so much to your liking.

Your words have really touched me.  I have felt the same following other logs, and feel touched that you find this build in the same regard that I feel about others. Again your words, and the support that I have had from members here have indeed been inspiring.

kier: Thanks as well. As I had mentioned I was not comfortable with the idea of sails, these being my first effort. I learned from other logs and gave it a shot. Yes, they did come out nicely – very much to my surprise and relief. Thanks for your nice comments –much appreciated.

fmodajr: Frank as you know you were the catalyst for my embarking on adding sails having closely followed your Vasa build. (;-) thanks!

Peter: Thanks as well – much appreciated.

Regarding mizzen – yes the fore tip will be adjusted. In fact all yards and sails will be adjusted, set and made to look correct as I move from the bow to stern finishing up this build that has taken way too long.

Funny you never disappoint – I did, of course, add treenails to the weather deck. I followed one of Landströms drawings from The Royal Warship.  So it has gone with this build. Regarding the base, the nails will stay just of the extra detailed look.

1.thumb.jpg.00938843e77ecd0b34a83a0c43607d27.jpg

So small start at bow pulling lines and now looking for pin locations.

2.thumb.jpg.4f91f8479a462e11689a945035985424.jpg

This has brought up a dilemma for me. Kit and after-marked wood pins all seem to have too much girth.

I like the look of metal pins, but not going there. I may thin out all of the needed wood pins, and re-stain them. Could be overkill on my part. Still thinking Hmmm

3.thumb.jpg.09710794562636e3a985db61f287a6f2.jpg

Again Mates thanks SO much for your super kind words, the great like clicks and also for just dropping by.

Regards,

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

such great progress Michael.......the rigging looks awesome,  along with the sails  ;) 

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Peter,

(;-))))) One very last back and forth volley (from me) about this build's schizophrenic personality of have and have nots.

The 1/10th (yes, I now know that it is a poor representative) also has treenails on the weather deck. Hmmmm

Let's see how the new month-by-month DeAgostini 1:65th kit comes out in all of these areas. Apparently Fred H. is also very involved with this project.

PS: Do please keep me (us) updated - Your knowledge is so nice to read about.

Cheers,

59fa3ffc530eb_Vasamodellen_12gratingcopy.JPG.2887fd26c2d8b15dcaa6f1430f6943c2.JPG

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael,

Thanks.
Whatever knowledge I may have here comes in large part from years of discussion with more knowledgeable people.

The weatherdeck nails would be iron nails, not treenails.

Scroll down for Fred’s comment:

http://warshipvasa.freeforums.net/thread/100/deck-planking

To be honest, at the scale we’re working in with the Corel model, a treenail would not be visible.

(if you can see it, it’s probably not a treenail, if you can’t, it is a reasonable omission :-) )

The rigging is really looking great!

I am too looking forward to the results of the deAngostini builds. I know Fred is building one too.

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by baskerbosse
fixing up rough post done on phone..

Peter,

Again learned something from you. I was not aware of the distinctions. 

================

Are you an Oseberg expert?

May need to PM you each time I sit down with the next project (:-)))

Cheers,

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -