Wasa by md1400cs - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

Ahoy Michael :D  

Your work is brilliant

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Hi,

Frank, Nigel, Ferit, Mark and JPett thanks so much for posting your very kind remarks. So thoughtful. (:-)

It's been a slow crawl forward. Three steps back and one ahead. 

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Lawrence, thanks much appreciated.

B.E. thanks for the vocab. word. I then looked it up; hard to find even on Google (:-)

R/  Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hello again,

The second series of kevels have been completed. Small little bits, but rather labor intensive. Nonetheless I'm mostly comfortable with the results.

As I finished these, it glared at me again that there were problems with the side railings near the stern. There should not be a "break" in the railing where the two kevels are co-located (last pic) Hmmmm.

OK. I so spent the day tearing out those railings, side timbers, vertical deck upright side timbers, as well as those four co-located kevels. Grrrrrrrrrr. (:-)

I'm already seeing how the fix will make a big dif. I also (sometime back), sent an email to Corel, and they sent me two more cannon decorative pieces. I will incorporate those into the fix as well.

So it seems that it's always two steps back and one forward with this build.

The next build in-waiting, already under my table, will hopefully only move forward. As usual thanks so much for looking in, posting, or clicking the "like" button. Supper appreciated.

Regards,

Michael

post-735-0-82373300-1381702740_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-05065900-1381702756_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-67351700-1381702768_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-15525800-1381702779_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-97464900-1381702791_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-63513100-1381702803_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-61296300-1381702814_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-05263800-1381702827_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-66047300-1381702846_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-68766600-1381702858_thumb.jpg

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Great work Michael  B)  B) I think the rip out and redo happens to all of us with something we are not happy with.It is part and parcel of the hobby.I must have missed something,what have you lined up next?

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Hi Michael,

Great and detailed work again...

I realized, by the way, the final outlook of the gratings. I went all the way over there, back to the 14th September... Voila!... I didn't understand how I had missed it, your fabulous work on gratings m1436.gif ?!... So victorious you are... Just the same of the 1/10 model... Every detail is very very nice... Sorry, I am late... And that Like This button didn't liberate me until I hit on it.

Edited by ashiponthehorizon

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Great build Michael. You are doing a double good job here. First the upgrading of the kit, and then with its execution. Flawless! I have always admired a clean job, like yours.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Very nice Michael, just outstanding work!!

Frank

Frank,

Thanks your nice thoughts are always appreciated. 

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Great work Michael  B)  B) I think the rip out and redo happens to all of us with something we are not happy with.It is part and parcel of the hobby.I must have missed something,what have you lined up next?

Kind Regards Nigel

Nigel,

I appreciate your redo comments. Nice to see that I am not "The Lone Ranger" in this regards. Also someone with the level of talent that you have appreciating my efforts is very touching.

Actually, I don't think that I have mentioned what is under the table. I thought that I would try something totally different. 

Regards,

MIchael

post-735-0-27165100-1381808358_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Great build Michael. You are doing a double good job here. First the upgrading of the kit, and then with its execution. Flawless! I have always admired a clean job, like yours.

Thanks Ulises,

But my BIG challenge will be to just get a bit close to your rigging skills. I've downloaded many of your photos to help guide me when I get there.  

Regards,

MIchael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

I cannot see any incongruous piece or part in your Wasa, everything keeps coming together in harmony... As expected...

Ferit,

You are much too kind. (:-)  Let's hope that I can continue this build and still find harmony. Deck cannons, masts and rigging will all be very new to me. I did build a simple ship many years ago, so this will be my first attempt to get it correctly.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

I am in awe at the crispness of your work!

Buck,

Thanks again for your nice comments. They are always a source of encouragement.

Regards,

MIchael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael,

Great and detailed work again...

I realized, by the way, the final outlook of the gratings. I went all the way over there, back to the 14th September... Voila!... I didn't understand how I had missed it, your fabulous work on gratings  m1436.gif ?!... So victorious you are... Just the same of the 1/10 model... Every detail is very very nicem1222.gif... Sorry, I am late...  And that Like This button didn't liberate me until I hit on it! m0161.gif

Ferit,

Thanks for looking back on a "fix" part of this re-build (:-)  The original gratings where, well, not gratings. Grrr  Now they certainly look better. Thanks, as always, for your generous thoughts. I will eventually be able to consistently move forward with this project. Still working on some fixes.

Regards,

MIchael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michel,

being back from my absence, I had to read a lot through your build log. After a long summer holiday, I came in contact with a horrible computer virus, destroying all of my computers! And it took me several weeks now to solve any problems with it....

But now it was really great for me, to see your wonderful build growing and going to be better and better! At the end it will be a marvelous ship! 

Best regards, Joachim

My new Book in ENGLISH and GERMAN available:

"The colour blue in historic shipbuilding"

http://www.modellbau-muellerschoen.de/buch-en.htm

Current build   Amerigo Vespucci    http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/836-amerigo-vespucci-by-schiffebastler-mantua-model-scale-184-italien-sail-training-ship-build-1931/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History:

http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Hi Michel,

being back from my absence, I had to read a lot through your build log. After a long summer holiday, I came in contact with a horrible computer virus, destroying all of my computers! And it took me several weeks now to solve any problems with it....

But now it was really great for me, to see your wonderful build growing and going to be better and better! At the end it will be a marvelous ship! 

Best regards, Joachim

Joachim,

Welcome back (:-) You have been missed. So sorry to hear about the virus. Those can be so damaging. It sounds as if you have resolved the issue. Good to hear. Thanks for taking the time catching up on my build, very nice of you. As you know I have a file of your Wasa, and when I need help, I look through some of your photos for guidance. 

Again welcome back I will look forward to you updates as well.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael

SNAP! I am building both cross section and the complete ship.It is available as a partwork in the UK.I am at present collecting the issues monthly.It helps spread the cost a little.There are differences with the main ship in that it is double planked,instead of single if you buy the complete kit.It is essentially the same occre product,just with a few tweaks.It will be a while before I make a start due to other build commitments,but I shall start a log when the glue pot comes out :) .The 'redo'part is very much a part of the model building process.The only difference,when you gain experience,is that the offending item quite often finds itself in the recycling a little earlier in the process.Setting yourself a standard is very important otherwise the 'that will do' attitude starts creeping in.

I do take great interest in your build because you have set your mind on something you want to achieve and are determined to see it through,even if it means necessary adjustments as your build progresses.Top work Michael !

Kind Regards Nigel

Nigel,

As always I am always so honored when you so kindly post. Your work is so superlative and extraordinary that it is a kindness that you treat me to encouraging as well as very positive remarks about this build.

Interesting that you are also planning on building the Santísima. Building both versions will will certainly be very interesting. I presume that the cross section will reflect the same hull look as your complete ship. These will make a very remarkable side-by-side display. You will certainly "bash" the the kits (:-)  Again so nice to have you back on board.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi folks,

Minor update on latest fix (:-) My posts always seem to be moving backwards, but hopefully when they (the fixes) are finished and progress can be made, it should all work out.

Note on pic. one that there is a break on the upper poop deck railing. I incorrectly built that in. Pic. two is the repair in progress. I'll post an update after its finished. As always I so appreciate your kind people looking in.

Amended: added a reference pic of 1:1 that shows you where I "goofed". Thanks Nigel for pointing this out (:-)

Regards,

MIchael

post-735-0-60712400-1382373176_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-75249000-1382373188_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-72050900-1382377381_thumb.jpg

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael,

Great job!!  I am enjoying your build. I was recently  at the Vasa Museum in Stockholm and was absolutely blown away. I was so impressed that I came home a bought the Corel Vasa. I still need to finish up a scratch build before tackling the Vasa. I hope mine turns out as good as yours.

If anyone gets a chance go to Stockholm and see the Vasa it is an amazing sight. It is just as impressive as seeing the Victory.

Cheers, Grant

Hi Michael, 

these small things make the difference between a good model and an outstanding model!  

It is really interesting to follow your log.

Regards, Joachim

My new Book in ENGLISH and GERMAN available:

"The colour blue in historic shipbuilding"

http://www.modellbau-muellerschoen.de/buch-en.htm

Current build   Amerigo Vespucci    http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/836-amerigo-vespucci-by-schiffebastler-mantua-model-scale-184-italien-sail-training-ship-build-1931/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History:

http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Hi Michael,

Great job!!  I am enjoying your build. I was recently  at the Vasa Museum in Stockholm and was absolutely blown away. I was so impressed that I came home a bought the Corel Vasa. I still need to finish up a scratch build before tackling the Vasa. I hope mine turns out as good as yours.

If anyone gets a chance go to Stockholm and see the Vasa it is an amazing sight. It is just as impressive as seeing the Victory.

Cheers, Grant

Grant,

Thanks for your very nice comment, post, and for following this build; all very much appreciated. Yes, the Vasa museum is, well, astonishing. I was working in London in the mid 90s, and took a long weekend and flew over to see it. A "must see" for anyone interested in world history. Ironically  enough as I started the Corel kit, I did not connect the dots until much later regarding accuracy. Hence all the "fixes". I hope that my mistakes, and your love of the Vasa museum will work in your favor when you start your build (:-)

Regards,

MIchael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael, 

these small things make the difference between a good model and an outstanding model!  

It is really interesting to follow your log.

Regards, Joachim

Joachim,

As you know I, and many others are fans of your work. That would be where outstanding belongs.

Thanks for your, always, nice posts; so nice (:-) I'm glad that you are enjoying these log updates.

Regards,

MIchael

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -