Wasa by md1400cs - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

Hi everyone,

So finally an update that actually has moved forward, working on adding the outer rail decorative figures. One side is complete.

Turns out that the 1:10th has theses figures carved in two dimensions (same as the 1:1). Corel supplies their kits with complete three-dimensional figures. So, I sawed them in half.

Corel also supplies only one form of these figures, whereas the Vasa actually had several different looking figures, mounted in various forms of clothing and colors.

So, I painted them all the same to reflect the example in the photo below of the 1/10th (the one next to the cannon.) But allowing myself a bit of artistic license I kept a gold tinge in the hair. Them being Nordic and all (:-). I also finished the railing white trim on both sides. As usual thanks for dropping in.

Regards,

Michael

post-735-0-10951600-1384034788_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-33397700-1384034802_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-49983400-1384034817_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-03382200-1384034830_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-83545600-1384034845_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-46577900-1384034863_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-95870800-1384034874_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-95878100-1384034888_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-00267200-1384034916_thumb.jpg

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

looks very good, you are giving me every step idea's to complete my Vasa also better. Thanks.

I noticed also that these figures are not correct according the original

Jan V. 

current build: Vasa-1628 Corel / Battle Station Mantua/Panart,

previous: Statenjacht / Cross section HMS Victory / diorama shipyard

Great work.

The colours are excellent. Muted, not garish, but still brilliant. And they compliment your hull nicely.

Andy

Andy,

Thanks as always. Take care of yourself right now (:-)

MIchael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Great work Michael ! and determination,I can only imagine what is was like sawing the figures in half.

Kind Regards Nigel

NIgel,

YES, sawing those metal figures was a bit of a chore. Some didn't end well, but since I sort of doubled my inventory I ended up with enough acceptable halves to paint and install. These figures are an other area were Corel did not go its proper research. This kit needs an upgrade. Its been around for decades and has certainly paid for itself in spades by now. Coupled with the huge success of the museum I would imagine that this is still an excellent SKU for Corel. Perfect opportunity to upgraded both the kit's accuracy as well as, of course, its price.

Regards,

MIchael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

The detail work is out standing. I really enjoy watching this build. Please Keep the pictures coming.

Thanks Joe, much appreciated.

MIchael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael

Thank you very much for your visit to my build log, I appreciate that very much, welcome aboard. Just checked on your last up dates and l love the great detail and the colors that you are giving your skip . You are giving her a life of her own with no other ship quite like yours. Enjoy.

Regards   Lawrence

Lawrence,

Thank you for your very nice thoughts, I cherish the compliment.  I'm not super comfortable with my decision, in retrospect, of having purchased the Corel, the Billings is a much superior. That being said, when it comes to the masts and riggings I can hopefully get much more accuracy as I move forward.

PS: You Victory guys are so above my league. That is probably the most difficult ship to build, with the SOS somewhere just behind. The painting alone on the V. is scary. 

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Wow, does that look great ,or what!!.... Superb painting Michael, that is one good looking ship!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Wow, does that look great ,or what!!.... Superb painting Michael, that is one good looking ship!!

Frank

Frank,

Thanks so appreciate your really nice words. 

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael

There is nothing wrong with your build, you are doing an excellent job on your ship. Adding all of those little touches to give her a one of a kind build. Love your paint job and your approach to achieve this. To be honest Victory is now more difficult to build than  your Wasa . There is just a lot more detail to build, this it what makes Victory so challenging and very rewarding at the same time. With the skills that you have shown you would very little difficulty in building your own, it just will take a lot longer that is all.Enjoy.

Regards   Lawrence 

Lawrence,

Thanks. Hmmmm so appreciate your confidence in my abilities, as well as this Vasa, but mentally the Victory would "freak me out" (:-)   SO love that ship. My (and many other's) all time favorite for sure. I did have the pleasure of boarding her. Super memorable experience ( I shared that previously) My next build, already under my table, is a cross section (Santisima Trinidad)  Thought that I would explore something very different.

Possibly after that one I would attempt your ship. Again my hats off to you victory guys. 

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hello Michael

Lawrence is absolutely right about the victory - somewhat harder because of all the photo etched parts but in some ways easier because there is a lot fewer things you have to "fix" compared to the Wasa kits - at least in the Caldercraft version.Have also done the SoS - no harder than the Vasa i`m currently working on although I did not modify it from the kit.

Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Hi Michael,

I really love that pictures of the whole ship, it looks wonderful!

Regards, Joachim

My new Book in ENGLISH and GERMAN available:

"The colour blue in historic shipbuilding"

http://www.modellbau-muellerschoen.de/buch-en.htm

Current build   Amerigo Vespucci    http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/836-amerigo-vespucci-by-schiffebastler-mantua-model-scale-184-italien-sail-training-ship-build-1931/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History:

http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Hi Michael,

I really love that pictures of the whole ship, it looks wonderful!

Regards, Joachim

Joachim,

As usual, you're so kind. Coming from you I so appreciate the compliment (:-)  Hope to get some updates from your build soon.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hello everyone,

A minor very tiny update, but one that I am actually comfortable with, this one is peaceful for me. It was small but rather labor intensive, as it took several attempts to get "ok".

From the first 1/10th pic, I wanted to add these two rope blocks with three pulleys to my weather deck. Below was my solution. The pics are self-explanatory so I won't drone on. A couple of points to note;

1) That second drill bit is the one that goes sideways to make trenches (name escapes me)

2) I used small cannon rigging blocks to simulate the pulleys within the wood blocks. As you note, I cut them in half and rounded them off. They are a bit oval purposefully.  Once inserted, they didn't crowd the edges within the main block, allowing for rope (I don't plan to add sails (at this point) so these two blocks are just to add detail. I was going to add those small block nails as seen on the 1/10th. Since my build is lacking those in so many places, I skipped that effort.

Next up will be to drill all cannon doors hinge, and rope holes. I won't share that (:-), and then on to the ratline hull braces. Looking forward to those.

As usual thanks so much for dropping in, so appreciated.

Regards,

Michael

post-735-0-89652700-1384980002_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-02519400-1384980011_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-17277900-1384980020_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-47016900-1384980030_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-15598200-1384980039_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-56269900-1384980045_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-61637800-1384980053_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-72042000-1384980060_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-35528400-1384980067_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-67361900-1384980073_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Very nice work Michael B) Slotting those blocks is not the easiest of jobs without a milling machine.Even if they won't be used as you don't plan on fitting sails,they add a lot to the build.

Kind Regards Nigel

Nigel,

Thanks for your nice thoughts. Yes you are right a milling machine is a must. As can be seen the block grooves are a bit sloppy, as I was running the drill back and forth by hand. Now that I am much more serious, and passionate about this hobby, slowly tools are "showing up" (:-)

Here are pics of my small work area. I took over our departed son's room (he lives in S. Francisco), it has become my hobby room. The last pic is what is really needed. It's on my Amazon cart, but I will need at least two very copious portions of Lagavulin 16, neat- before clicking "buy" PS: the Best of the smoky's. A bit north of your neck of the woods, but for Scotch Hmmmm the choices you have in the UK are wonderful. I remember Oddbins (:-) 

As always, thanks for your stopping by.

Regards,

Michael

post-735-0-30935100-1385052358_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-10274700-1385052370_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-10348200-1385052378_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Well done Michael! The detail level on your Vasa makes it shine. Im happy you kept the nails as they are.

/Matti

Matti,

Thanks. Yes, noted on the nails I agree with you. Also had I been more educated regarding this ship in its early build stages, I would have also added tree-nails to the upper areas of the hull timbers, as seen on the 1/10th. Nonetheless, I'm ok with this look. 

PS: your red scheme is super nice.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael 

I thank you very much for your kind words and also for the Like. Never under estimate your self, from what you have shown the members of the MSW you can build what ever ship that you so chose to and do it well I believe that the Santisima Trinidad cross section will be quite a challenge for you, real she is a lot like Victory, only Spanish. And remember Victory is well with in your grasps, Enjoy

Regards   Lawrence

Lawrence,

Thanks for your confidence, Yes it will be a challenge, especially the masts and spars, much more detailed that the century earlier Vasa. I also plan to copper the lower hull. I'm gathering much info and numerous photos, placing those into files so that when I start it won't be a total mystery. Though it seems that very little original information is available regarding the details of this ship.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael

Yes the miller is a handy tool.I have recently started a thread on using it and jigs that can be produced with it.I have the pantograph attachment landing early next week and I have just received a digital readout for the vertical axis.

You seem to have the most vital thing of all,plenty of light!

Arrr whiskey,unfortunately can't drink it,you are correct plenty to choose from :D  :D Been round the Highland Park distillery on Orkney but had to refrain from the free tasters :( .You have got me thinking now,I am not sure if oddbins are still going?They were everywhere and I know there aren't any left in my neck of the woods :(

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Michael,

I am very lucky that you are a little ahead of my own Wasa build: I can benefit from your tips and solutions and see if/how to use them on my own model.

I have that same milling machine. I had bought it second hand, but it was hardly used. I will use it to try to make the blocks that you made. I used the milling machine to thin the small beams to make the hand rails.

Completed:

Catalina from Mamoli (1/32)

European small river ship (scratch build) (1/50)

Currently building: Wasa from Corel (1/75)

Future: Titanic (Mantua), Batavia (Kolderstok), Friesland (Mamoli), Bismarck (Hachette), Prins Willem (Corel)

Michael,

I am very lucky that you are a little ahead of my own Wasa build: I can benefit from your tips and solutions and see if/how to use them on my own model.

I have that same milling machine. I had bought it second hand, but it was hardly used. I will use it to try to make the blocks that you made. I used the milling machine to thin the small beams to make the hand rails.

Andre,

I'm happy that my build is also of benefit to yours. I have learned so so much by visiting other builders' logs here at MSW. My skills have so improved as well. Yes that Proxxon milling machine will be mine after the new year. I went back and looked at your upper railings again, they do look so good. I was also going to follow your idea on how you designed the deck rope vertical pulleys (I don't know their specific name) The pic below is from your build. Very nice. Question?? where did you obtain those brass pulleys?

Again, I appreciate your nice comments.

Michael

post-735-0-89493700-1385227625.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael,

I am glad that also my build provides some ideas to you! Thanks for you compliments on my hand rails. They took me a lot of time to make.

The brass pulleys that I used to make the deckhands were in a box of mine. Some time ago (before working on my Wasa) I had bought that box with many shipbuilding items in it. I was told that the items were the remains of a model ship that had been broken beyond repair.

For these deckhands, I have not used my milling machine, but compiled the blocks with thin beams, leaving some place for the pulleys.

Completed:

Catalina from Mamoli (1/32)

European small river ship (scratch build) (1/50)

Currently building: Wasa from Corel (1/75)

Future: Titanic (Mantua), Batavia (Kolderstok), Friesland (Mamoli), Bismarck (Hachette), Prins Willem (Corel)

Ahoy Michael :D

Your log is an amazing journey. I remember when I first found it. I always look forward to seeing what you will do next.

Thx

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Hi Michael

You sure did a great job on the triple set of blocks that you made for the lower rail, your little milling machine sure is a nice piece of equipment to have in your ship yard, you make me very envious with your great tools.I think that I will look into getting a few end mill cutters for slotting, would be great in the old drill press. You also did a great job on your laminated double blocks , they sure are great, but it surprises me that you did not cut them out on your new mill.There is nothing wrong with them at all, they are great, I was just thinking, that's all.  Enjoy.

Regards   Lawrence

Lawrence,

Hi, those double laminated blocks are NOT mine. They are from Andre's very beautiful Wasa also a Corel kit. I was just using HIS pic as a reference from his build log. If you have not dropped in on his build, you are missing a really beautiful project.

I do not (yet) have the Proxxon 37110 milling machine. I will order that very soon That should complete my need for tools. When the milling machine with the XY table arrive, I will try to slot those double deck vertical pulley blocks.

I do thank you for you your nice comments about the triple blocks, I did those "by hand" so they are a bit sloppy, but came out better than I hoped for.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -