Wasa by md1400cs - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

Just looked at your build Michael. Exceptional! Will have to take a few hours and go through a lot slower. Hope I can match your detail.  I do find it awesome to have been on/visited the ship one is building. Makes it so much more fun!

Rob

Rob,

Thanks for the kind words as well as an interest in re-visiting my log-very nice of you. 

Cheers,

Michael D

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hi Michael,

It's cheerful to hear that the glue works :) ...

I keenly prefer mounted guns on their places... Following your choice of adding more details is spectacular...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Upon close inspection of the close ups, your ship still looks amazing! Weaknesses??

I did not realize just how big this ship was. The pic of it standing on its nose leaning against the bench is an eye opener. It's as tall as a child!

Edited by Salty Sea Dog

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

OK I want to go to THIS party !!!!

I was to one of these parties when the firm I worked for celebrated a jubilee fifteen years ago and rented the museum for the evening. They had a lot of 17th century food on the menu, oodles of different herrings and salted meat. The beer went down easily after that.  :cheers:

But my best memory of the ship is as a kid when my school class were actually allowed on board to tread the decks. Definitely not allowed anymore, unless you are a visiting head of state (Obama was the latest last summer). Only wish I had better sense and a better camera as a kid. Just a few bleached-out instamatics remain of that visit of a lifetime in the 1960s...

Per

Edited by Per

Upon close inspection of the close ups, your ship still looks amazing! Weaknesses??

I did not realize just how big this ship was. The pic of it standing on its nose leaning against the bench is an eye opener. It's as tall as a child!

Buck,

Thanks for your very nice comments. Regarding size; a short child. The ship is only 33" (83cm) 1/75th scale. It is actually resting on the edge of a child's table (23") so may appear much taller if your mindset thinks of a normal table hight. 

Michael

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Some very nice touches Michael.Do you plan on fitting all four Swivel guns?

Kind Regards Nigel

Nigel, I have not decided at this point. I would need to actually purchase four and cut them by 2/3 thirds. Four may be "over-kill" But Ferit's point is well taken that all guns should be mounted. 

Michael D

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

I was to one of these parties when the firm I worked for celebrated a jubilee fifteen years ago and rented the museum for the evening. They had a lot of 17th century food on the menu, oodles of different herrings and salted meat. The beer went down easily after that.  :cheers:

But my best memory of the ship is as a kid when my school class were actually allowed on board to tread the decks. Definitely not allowed anymore, unless you are a visiting head of state (Obama was the latest last summer). Only wish I had better sense and a better camera as a kid. Just a few bleached-out instamatics remain of that visit of a lifetime in the 1960s...

Per

Per,

Thanks for sharing that astonishing opportunity. That must have been so so memorable. Great luck!!

I do wish that at least, the museum would have some scaffolded walkway. Something similar to this, larger and have it just cross over to the other side. It would also allow great photographs to be taken from a new vantage point. Again cheers for your excellent experience. 

PS: Next time Pres. Obama stops by my home for dinner I will ask him how he liked his visit to the Vasa (:-)

Michael

post-735-0-49622700-1390168174_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael

You are doing a fantastic job on your little ship, your little touches sure do show the rest of us what can be done to enhance a model ship log. You are full of surprises, I love that and your end results are great, Enjoy.

Regards Lawrence

Lawrence,

Thanks so much, I really appreciate your thoughts. Though I have gained much of my knowledge by also visiting other builds here at MSW. They are a constant source of reciprocal inspiration as well. Learning from each other is a great catalyst for improving one's skill sets, as well as trying to "raise our personal bars".

Michael 

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

I see that you have also installed rudder chains.Been wondering what those 2 decorated openings were for.I could never find out for sure whether that was their purpose.Still trying to decide whether to put them on mine. :mellow:

/Mark

Edited by marktiedens

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Hi Michael,

Fantastic job on your ship. The attention to detail is amazing and you are very courageous to put your ship on its nose!!

I don't know if it is too late (I wish I had seen your latest picts sooner, but I have been layed low by a persistent intestinal infection) but 4 or 5 years ago I built a Zebec (modified from an Amati kit) and I used their supplied swivel cannon. See picture

post-951-0-41667000-1390191238_thumb.jpg

If you find your cannon on the stern too big, I'm sure you can find some Amati ones.

I came across this link

http://www.makemodels.eu/index.php?CATEGORY=20&SUB=2&ALL_SUBS=0&THISPAGE=57&RADIOSORT=4&SUPPLIERSCHOICE=&RNZ=631778

Scroll half way down and you will see them.

Anyway, I'm not sure buying these Amati swivel guns will make it any easier to install!!

Anyway, very impressive,

Frank

Hi Ferit,

Hi Michael,

It's cheerful to hear that the glue works  :) ...

I keenly prefer mounted guns on their places... Following your choice of adding more details is spectacular...

If you have the time, could you tell me a little bit more about this glue?!

Thanks,

Frank

Hi Michael,

Fantastic job on your ship. The attention to detail is amazing and you are very courageous to put your ship on its nose!!

I don't know if it is too late (I wish I had seen your latest picts sooner, but I have been layed low by a persistent intestinal infection) but 4 or 5 years ago I built a Zebec (modified from an Amati kit) and I used their supplied swivel cannon. See picture

attachicon.gifSciabecco Model.jpg

If you find your cannon on the stern too big, I'm sure you can find some Amati ones.

I came across this link

http://www.makemodels.eu/index.php?CATEGORY=20&SUB=2&ALL_SUBS=0&THISPAGE=57&RADIOSORT=4&SUPPLIERSCHOICE=&RNZ=631778

Scroll half way down and you will see them.

Anyway, I'm not sure buying these Amati swivel guns will make it any easier to install!!

Anyway, very impressive,

Frank

Frank,

Thanks for your kind remarks. Please feel better soon.

After Nigel's, Ferit's, and now your thoughts as well, I have decided to install the four swivel guns. I would eventually regret not doing so in any case. But guys, thanks for the push....I ordered 4 of these 15mm falconets.

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/mantua-falconets.html

Instead of cutting them and just making "dummies" I have some thoughts on how to AGAIN (:-) do some repair work to allow for their full installations including their U framed carriages. When I get them I will see if that could work.

Frank an other great looking ship. Your Zebec is Whoa!!

Thanks for the link, I had already purchased those other four.

Again please get well soon

Regards.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hello Everyone,

Started the deadeyes for the channels.  I really liked Marktiedens idea of using the Amati chains instead of the kit-supplied pieces from his Vasa log. His work looks so good.

I purchased those sets as well, but found them difficult to adapt to the Corel 1/75th, and they also seemed too wide. So I decided to work with the kit supplied pieces.

Corel's supplied chains are too long and would need to be cut, also the supplied pieces were copper wire soldered together at their lower tips so were not flat metal. Then after inserting the deadeyes they looked terrible IMO; so adapted them as seen bellow.

FYI. first pic- Corel supplied, after deadeye inserted, and with wire straightened a bit.

Purchased J-B Weld the product indicated that it could be bent and painted, so decided to "flush" the wires after drying Dremel sanded all the chains. They seemed to now look "flat".

The black paint held well, and they could be bent as advertised with the J-B Welds; so far so good.

They now need to be all measured for their proper individual angles and length cuts, flattened at the bottom (Dremel wheel) so that I can insert a flat head round nail to simulate the rounded lower tip last pic. sorry it is way out of focus, but this is where I am so far.

Regards,

Michael

post-735-0-44776600-1390355824_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-13233600-1390355834_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-93226200-1390355840_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-84017700-1390355847_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-61401600-1390355855_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-29034000-1390355864_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-17326100-1390355871_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-64857100-1390355880_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-93243500-1390355888_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-53839700-1390355900_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Nice adaptation of the Corel parts.I did get the impression that the Amati chainplates might be too fat for your scale.Did you ever consider filling the gaps in your chainplates with solder & filing them flat?I don`t know if solder will even stick to your parts as they appear to be blackened.

/Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Nice adaptation of the Corel parts.I did get the impression that the Amati chainplates might be too fat for your scale.Did you ever consider filling the gaps in your chainplates with solder & filing them flat?I don`t know if solder will even stick to your parts as they appear to be blackened.

/Mark

Mark,

Thanks---No I did not think of soldering because I would make a real mess of things. Zero skills there, and the Admiral would have thrown me overboard because of the smell, smoke, and my loud verbal irritation at not getting it right attempting something totally foreign to me.

So I'm still onboard as of today....(:-)

Cheers,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

B.E.

I have developed more of a need for accuracy since also visiting your current build log, and learning from your attention to correct and appropriate detailing. There are so many sages on MSW. Your comment is much appreciated.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hello Everyone,

I became a bit frustrated, so I thought I would share a solution that has certainly been thought of before, but for me, as a "newbie" still reinventing the wheel Hmmmm

I decided to loosely pre-install the ropes into the deadeyes before mounting them to the channels. My first fingered attempt was fated to succumb to an obvious half hour of frustration (first pic). Which was, as it turned out, the catalyst that I needed to head downstairs for some nurturing music as well as something to quench my frustration understandably so - no?.

So, having regained a sense of perspective I dropped any further similar attempts at threading the deadeyes by fingers, and thought that some sort of a jig would be helpful.

Here are some initial photos in this regard. I hope that this post is not redundant for most of you, but I thought that I would none-the-less share. As we all know Never throw out scrap pieces of wood.

A now more peaceful,

Michael

post-735-0-80495700-1390437004_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-86011200-1390437011_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-02625700-1390437020_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-06286200-1390437027_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-48355800-1390437033_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-71430800-1390437042_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Michael. Nice post. It actually gave me an idea on how to build a jig to make the deadeyes/lanyard rig even. Too late for my Vasa, now though.

Will post a photo of the jig when I make a test.

I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but in your 2 last photos, the deadeyes are wrongly lined up.

The 3 holes have to make a triangle, but the apex (point?) of the upper one has to point upwards, as in this photo.

post-975-0-59697100-1390437635_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Ulises,

Yes, I knew sort of, that it was not correct. I have not learned this yet. I need to figure out the proper sequences. Your pic helps. Baby steps (:-) My next challenge coming up.

Michael 

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Michael. I just found a book I had stashed somewhere and I had completely forget about it. I just pulled it out of my bookshelf and looking at it is a great book on rigging.

"Rigging Period Ship Models" by Lennarth Peterson. I have no idea if it is still available, but its worth to look for.

Hope this helps.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Michael. I just found a book I had stashed somewhere and I had completely forget about it. I just pulled it out of my bookshelf and looking at it is a great book on rigging.

"Rigging Period Ship Models" by Lennarth Peterson. I have no idea if it is still available, but its worth to look for.

Hope this helps.

Ulises,

I have it. Perfect book. 100% excellent drawings, no text whatsoever. My kind of reading (:-) I recently found it at Amazon. Thanks for sharing.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael

Whole heartedly agree with your decision  to fit all the swivel guns.Purely down to aesthetics and symmetry,To anyone not in the know,it would appear wrong plus fitting them depicts the ship as designed and the design was for four guns.My only suggestion would be to leave the deadeyes unrigged.That way you can make a jig using a piece of scrap and some pins to hold the deadeyes in line and the same distance apart whilst you rig the shrouds.Then rig the deadeyes.This would keep the deadeye spacings consistant.Do you plan on pinning the chainplates when setting the shrouds?I ask because that way ensures everything lines through,positioning them to the drawings can be a little hit and miss.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Nigel,

Thanks for your nice posting. Yes, guns will be nice.

Regarding the deadeyes I have decided to follow the much more tried and true procedure. Frank (fmodajr) was also suggesting the same. He and I had a very nice conversation last evening. You guys are seasoned artists, as a novice, I am wading in the dark in this area. The more I think about this part of the build, the more that I see the logic of that approach; it makes much more sense. Also, Yes I see the logic in waiting to pinning the chainplates after the shrouds are set. Thanks for weighing in, your suggestions are always much appreciated. 

Regards,

Michael

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

So Michael..what was your final decision on how to rig those dead eyes? I too have been struggling with the planning of the deadeyes on my Revell plastic model. I have been toying with the idea of replacing the pre-formed ones and creating my own. My challenge has been the scale (1/96 is really small) and the technique (not to mention my sanity). Both of these seem to be current issues  for you in this build. :)