md1400cs

Wasa by md1400cs - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

Hi Mates,

Still working, very slowly, on the carriages. This post is in the form of a question. Would any of you kind soles have a "perfect" idea on how I might replicate the axle stops so that the wheels won't fall off?

The small pieces that I am using for the axle supports that attach vertically to the carriage are a bit too wide to be added to the axles as keys. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I do know that most, who are kind enough to drop-in do so silently, but any ideas that have worked for you would be a treat.

I will also post this in the general section.

Michael

post-735-0-07632400-1396897614_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-35806100-1396897627_thumb.jpg

Hola Michael,

probably you can make very small holes using gauge 78 (0.016in or 0.406mm)  to 80 (0.014in or 0.343mm) drills and then using brass wire of the appropriate size.

Saludos

Great as always Michael.

Finally detailed gun carriages are coming... Pleasure... :)

My opinion is as detailed as possible are especially the guns and carriages, more beautiful is the overall view...

Hola Michael,

probably you can make very small holes using gauge 78 (0.016in or 0.406mm)  to 80 (0.014in or 0.343mm) drills and then using brass wire of the appropriate size.

Saludos

Karl,

Thanks. I did just order some small drill bits from Amazon. The wire seems to be the overwhelming idea. Thanks for your input.

Michael

Hi Michael

Apologies for not being around much of late and missing your last update.Excellent work on the swivel guns,they look fabulous B)  B) I too would have suggested wire for the axles,at this scale a representation rather than exact replication is more than adequate.Tip for drilling the holes,drill a hole in a small wooden block for the axle to slide in,then drill a hole through the block to act as a guide for drilling the pin holes.This will make it easy to keep them central and stop the drill from wondering due to the curved surface of the axle ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Nigel, Brilliant ! I will do just as you suggested.  As always, thanks.

Michael

Juergen,

Thanks so much for dropping by, as well as your kinds words, all very encouraging, especially coming from such an artist as yourself. I have been following your Leopard - such first-rate work (:-)

Regards,

Michael

Hi Mates,

Still plodding along with carriages putting all of the bits together. It turns out that each assembled cannon will have just shy of 50 parts including the 10 parts that make up the wood carriage itself.

So 50 X 14 carriages;  Hmmmm 700 bits, I hope that this obsessiveness "pays off" (:-) I think that it will.

Next step is putting all of those brass bits into the blackening caldron then assembling them one at a time.

Thought the right angled and lengthy brass bits that attach to the upper and front edges of each carriage will have to be "blackened" carriage by carriage, as the bits are specifically sized to each carriage that have, it turns out, minor variations in size here and there. 

My error for the lack of standardized forward thinking. So throwing all 56 of those bits into the caldron would turn into a minor puzzle on the backside.

Please note that the method employed for drilling the axle hole stop pins was an absolutely Brilliant suggestion from Nigel, the sage that he is. Worked effortlessly. Once set up, the twenty-eight axles were drilled in less than fifteen minutes. That in-and-of-itself saved me lots of mental wear-and-tear. Thanks my friend.....

FYI: the red markings on the axles were so that I knew that I had adjusted the front and rear track widths, and the tips were OK to be drilled, and the longer left-over bits Dremel'd off.

Also regarding the Proxxon Milling tool, I did purchase a Proxxon chuck. I have sooo many tiny drill bits so this attachment becomes a one size fits all helper. It will accept the tiniest of bits and keep them super straight during use. Highly recommended part.

Again thanks so much for dropping by always so appreciated.

Regards,

Michael

post-735-0-04647300-1397755741_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-65723800-1397755754_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-14360100-1397755762_thumb.jpg

That's a nice production line you have set up Michael B) That is a LOT of parts but I am sure the result will be more than worth it in the long run.One last suggestion re the drilling jig,label it and put it in the tool box,you will probably find it will come in again ;) I used to throw mine away,but have now learnt to save them,the small ones at least as they take no space up.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Nigel,

Thanks again. I will keep this jig, I was going to toss it. You are right i would certainly regret it. As they say,why re-invent the wheel again and again.

Michael

Hi Mates,

Here is an update on the cannons, very laborious, but moving along. The carriage wheels are finally completed and installed.

Some notes;

As you may have noted from previous posts I used small rings with stems to create the axle braces, cutting the ring parts.

I cut and adjusted all 112 individually, then glued them with a tiny bit of Gorilla white wood glue. Once they "set", I then added CA glue at the very bottoms for permanent adhesion. Note the shinny bits at the axle groove tips. The wheels will hide these smears.

Each carriage had to be size adjusted for my inconsistent cannon deck port heights. Hmmm. So numbered each one, after adjusting the carriage heights, and slipped their corresponding parts into small zip packs.

Next step is to blacken the metal upper frames which are presently still bright brass. I want to use the chemical, but think that painting might be faster because I need to airbrush all of the cannons (including the lower and upper "dummies" black. So I might do this all at once.

I haven't used my Paasche in so many years, I was surprised to find my air pump still working (:-)

This will be followed by drilling small holes at the bottom center of each carriage to allow for a set nail when attached to the deck.

Lastly, the blocks, hooks and ropes will be attached.

PS: I think that my axle pins are too far away from the washer Drat !!

Michael

post-735-0-90823500-1398734137_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-70073400-1398734145_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-06079200-1398734157_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-46061300-1398734165_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-56800700-1398734175_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-65802100-1398734183_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-39002900-1398734192_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-97943200-1398734199_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-00454900-1398734207_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-45489500-1398734213_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-80722200-1398734219_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-05533500-1398734228_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-64715100-1398734234_thumb.jpg

Hi Michael,

just read through the whole posts concerning guns and carriages. They really look fantastic!
During the last few weeks, unfortunately, I had to solve some problems at home ... but now I am back again to follow your great work on the Wasa.
I like your choosen canons, they suit very well to the whole model. Even more I like your own carriages, and I wish you a lot of endurance for producing and adjusting all of them individually.

Concerning the four low gun-ports, I think your proposal is the best possible compromise and I am sure, nobody will notice this small difference to the real ship unless you tell it. The only other way would be to leave them away.

Looking forward to your next update.

Regards, Joachim

Very nice done. I know how small these are so I can only say perfect. I like the way you are updating the Corel kit to this high standard, as sai before I will use some if your ideas in my Vasa

Hi Michael,

Beautiful work on your cannon! In perusing your log, I am repeatedly amazed at your continued attention to detail!

Good luck on finishing them.

Frank

Hi Michael, I admire the evolution, the progression in details...

I deleted my previous post. Sorry about my deleted question, I had missed your explanation, don't take this as negligence but to be impressed by photos and details... :)

Hi Michael,

just read through the whole posts concerning guns and carriages. They really look fantastic!

During the last few weeks, unfortunately, I had to solve some problems at home ... but now I am back again to follow your great work on the Wasa.

I like your choosen canons, they suit very well to the whole model. Even more I like your own carriages, and I wish you a lot of endurance for producing and adjusting all of them individually.

Concerning the four low gun-ports, I think your proposal is the best possible compromise and I am sure, nobody will notice this small difference to the real ship unless you tell it. The only other way would be to leave them away.

Looking forward to your next update.

Regards, Joachim

Joachim,

Hello again. Very happy that you visited. I have missed your own build updates and now understand. Welcome back. I hope that everything at home is again ship-shape for you. I appreciate your comments as well

Michael

Nice cannons and carriages! Great detail work Michael.

/Matti

Matti,

thanks for your nice thoughts. I'm happy that you visited, I had not heard from you in such a long time. Very nice.

Michael

Hi Michael, I admire the evolution, the progression in details...

I deleted my previous post. Sorry about my deleted question, I had missed your explanation, don't take this as negligence but to be impressed by photos and details... :)

Ferit,

OK (:-) may have missed it, but thanks for stopping by.

Michael

Fabulous work Michael!!! I wouldn't feel bad about the small discrepancies in gun ports,the clearance between the cannon and port is TIGHT to say the least.If you haven't glued everything together yet,a solution for the axle pins would be to cut a small section out of the middle of the axles.This would enable them to sit tight against the wheels.As you have proper axle cutouts in the carriages,gluing the two halves together in situ won't be a problem.This adjustment will be invisible once the cannons are fitted to the deck.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Nigel,

Thank you for your advice. I have installed all of the axles so too late. Your, so simple but too "out of the box" for me, suggestion will stay in the memory bank for next time. And as always so much appreciate your posts and very kind thoughts.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Beautiful work on your cannon! In perusing your log, I am repeatedly amazed at your continued attention to detail!

Good luck on finishing them.

Frank

Frank,

Thanks so much. I have seen some of your other beautiful ships, so coming from you this is a very nice compliment. These postings keep me trying to improve my skills (:-)

Michael

Michael....... those cannons are awesome !!!!

Frank

Frank,

Thanks always appreciate your kind visits.

Michael