md1400cs

Wasa by md1400cs - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

Truly fabulous work Michael!!!!!Those gun and carriages look fantastic.The final result is a testimony to the amount of skill care and patience you have dedicated to them.They really will be the 'icing on the cake' of your build B)  B)  B)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Nigel,

Thanks so much for your very welcomed words. I have learned a lot from you, and I have happily incorporated your thoughts in this build. You, as you know "fixed"my carriage wheels (:-) (:-)

Cheers.

Michael

What can I say that hasn't already been said. Hmmm... Excelso!!! :)

That comment about a Vasa kit with Fred Hocker involved sounds like a marvelous idea.

Ulises,

Thanks for the nice words, as well as your visit.

If I can get near to your level of rigging quality, as your Vasa I'll be very happy. Seems as if the Corel plans are acceptable. A new updated kit would be great....

Michael

Hi Mates,

A small update. Finally working on the carriage pulleys and ropes. What I thought would be monotonous has in fact been fun. I worked out, I think, a way of attaching the double pulleys to the weather deck in the same fashion as seen on the Vasa museum carriage reconstruction. I will work with bits of toothpick ends to fashion the  braces. 

Kudos to Syrene for Chucks excellent ropes and pulleys (:-)

Thanks so much for all of the "likes"as I slowly move forward......

Regards,

Michael

post-735-0-78128200-1406652392_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-75402100-1406652409_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-05899100-1406652418_thumb.jpg

That is some very nice detail work on those blocks and tackle. I know the scale here and you have a gotten a good result for the effort. Very nice. Did you use CA at all to secure the line or milder fixatives?

HI Michael,

Wow!  Very impressive! Your attention to detail and your patience in getting it right is amazing.

I look forward to more pictures in your log!

Frank

That is some very nice detail work on those blocks and tackle. I know the scale here and you have a gotten a good result for the effort. Very nice. Did you use CA at all to secure the line or milder fixatives?

Dave,

Thanks for your visit and kind words.

I do not use CA.  I have found it to be difficult to use when working with ropes. I instead use, with excellent results, GS Hypo Cement. I discovered this following Ferit's beautiful Berlin (AlphaUrsaeMinoris)

This glue dries clear and is, for-all-intense-and-purposes, invisible. The applicator has a tiny needle-point (perfect), and its cap also has a needle that inserts back into its shaft for closing.

This allows the glue to always come out when needed. AND this product dries quickly, but most importantly is super friendly to your fingers. CA, by comparison for this task is a mess.

For threading the pulleys I add a small drop to the end of a rope, twist my thumb and forefinger creating a straight rope tip. After the glue dries pulleys are easily threaded.

The pulley pic is just after application; it will dry totally clear and create a super firm bond. I can easily trim the ends right down to the buds without fear of knots coming apart. Highly recommended. Super find!!!!  Thanks Ferit.

Regards,

Michael

post-735-0-90610800-1406736428_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-02547500-1406736439_thumb.jpg

Edited by md1400cs

WOW Michael,that is some seriously impressive detail work !!!! :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: I couldn't help but keep enlarging the pictures!!

Kind Regards 

Nigel

Nigel,

You are so kind a big thanks  (:-)

Michael

So gentle you are, my friend...

BTW your blocks seem really to be real pulleys... Carriages real carriages... Your Wasa will be reference work...

More you can hold your breath more you dive deeper... Details in details... I am afraid of her beauty if you begin to learn to breath undersea... :)

Really nice Michael, your cannons look outstanding!!

PS: Your tip for the G-S glue is very good, I¨ll try to get it.

Saludos, Karl

So gentle you are, my friend... BTW your blocks seem really to be real pulleys... Carriages real carriages... Your Wasa will be reference work... More you can hold your breath more you dive deeper... Details in details... I am afraid of her beauty if you begin to learn to breath undersea... :)

Ferit,

Thanks so much for your encouraging words. Still learning, but it's feeling good so far. 

Michael

Beautiful work on those guns and tackles Michael. :)

B.E.

B.E,

Thank you.

Your art is one of those to which I wish to aspire. Thanks (:-)

Michael

Hi Mates,

Continuing onward with the carriage ropes and tackles installation.

After trying to install one completely assembled carriage with ropes attached, I found it to be too cumbersome and a pain in the @#&. That wasn’t going to work very well. Space was so limited and I needed to also, just below the upper blocks attach the hooks for the carriage stops. Too messy hmmm….

So, plan B; I completed all the rope/block assemblies for the14 carriages. Then chose to attach those to the weather deck first.  Made a small hook so basic but so perfect ha ah…

Sliding in the cannons, then attaching the pins to each side of the carriages will be a breeze (I think). I can then adjust the ropes and tackles for a tight fit.

Have not decided how to display the left over rope lengths. The Vasa museum sort of hangs the excess on hooks near the rear of each carriage side. I’m short on length of the carriages, as they had to be shortened (Corel kit weather deck too narrow).

As noted from the just previous post, I wanted to emulate the 1/10th assembly with the use of small wooden pins. Used tooth pics. The results are acceptable, but I find that the scaling is a bit “off” My error, but still achieved the intent. Again thanks for dropping by and the Likes and comments always a pleasure.

Regards,

Michael

post-735-0-49821300-1408060236_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-33759500-1408060243_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-86223300-1408060248_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-81672500-1408060255_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-71926400-1408060265_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-67361500-1408060273_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-65053100-1408060281_thumb.jpg

That`s a very busy looking deck you have there - looking good. By the way I went to the Billing Boats USA site to order the Wasa fitting kit.They must have sent the order on to Ages of Sail - they sent me an e-mail saying they couldn`t get it :( . Oh well. Billing should remove it from there site if you can`t get it :angry: .

/Mark

Really wonderful, detailed and very accurate work!! Due to all the canons, there will be left only a few space on the decks. I am looking forward to the moment, when all canons will be installed, must be great.

Regards, Joachim

A work of art,cannons are the best ive seen, nice work ,nice learning photo's and well explained,thanks.Edwin

Edwin,

You are so kind with your super compliment. Thanks so much, so appreciated. 

Michael

Edited by md1400cs

Really wonderful, detailed and very accurate work!! Due to all the canons, there will be left only a few space on the decks. I am looking forward to the moment, when all canons will be installed, must be great.

Regards, Joachim

Joachim,

Again thanks for your continued encouragement and support. I have learned a lot from you :)

Michael

Great job Michael!

You sure give new meaning to thinking out of the box!

Frank

Frank,

As usual thanks for your visit and kind words.

Michael

Hi Mates,

Installed carriages now just need to clean up the ropes. I will leave that for now and move to an other area TBD. Thanks for looking in (:-) 

PS: first pic, is self explanatory, but found it easy to position carriage then drill a small hole in deck for installation.

MIchael

post-735-0-17601800-1409442924_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-42815800-1409442932_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-96220400-1409442939_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-53658200-1409442946_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-60868900-1409442953_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-79699400-1409442959_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-92217000-1409442966_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-48768200-1409442973_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-46820700-1409442979_thumb.jpg

this looks very good Michael.

just one question, what is the size of the blocks you have used?

Hi Michael 

Great job you have done on your cannons and the carriages along with there rigging., very nice,                                                   ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

this looks very good Michael.

just one question, what is the size of the blocks you have used?

JanV,

Thanks...these are the ones I used.

Note the drill bit in the envelope, all blocks were drilled a second time to enlarge the holes to allow ropes to go through. I have learned that this is a common practice to do. Not a criticism of Chuck's excellent products.

Michael

post-735-0-10940100-1409601844_thumb.jpg

Edited by md1400cs

Stunning work my friend!!!!Your patience and dedication throughout the trials and tribulations of sorting the armament is outstanding.the end result is spectacular.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Nigel,

Thanks SO much your comments are always so dear.

Michael

Really nice Michael, your cannons look outstanding!!

PS: Your tip for the G-S glue is very good, I¨ll try to get it.

Saludos, Karl

Karl,

Thanks...

FYI I also used the G-S to glue the metal rings to the sides of the carriages. Worked perfectly with absolutely no visible glue marks. I had intended to use CA, but if you miss CA leaves a stain.

Michael