md1400cs

Wasa by md1400cs - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

Stunning work my friend!!!!Your patience and dedication throughout the trials and tribulations of sorting the armament is outstanding.the end result is spectacular.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Nigel,

Thanks SO much your comments are always so dear.

Michael

Really nice Michael, your cannons look outstanding!!

PS: Your tip for the G-S glue is very good, I¨ll try to get it.

Saludos, Karl

Karl,

Thanks...

FYI I also used the G-S to glue the metal rings to the sides of the carriages. Worked perfectly with absolutely no visible glue marks. I had intended to use CA, but if you miss CA leaves a stain.

Michael

Hi Michael

Great job you are doing on your upper deck, very neat and trim looking. I see that you have a drill in your packets of blocks, is this drill added via you to tell you that the blocks have been re drilled, or is Chuck adding a drill now? The blocks that I got from Chuck had no drill in side , just curious that's all ,                                                                       ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

Lawrence,

Thanks for your kind comments.

No Chuck does not include a drill bit. I needed to enlarge all the holes, as I mentioned in the previous post. I kept the drill bit in the envelope for future reference, as needed. The blocks that are in the envelopes have not been re-drilled. 

Regards,

Michael

Roger, Buck thanks for your very nice thoughts they are very appreciated. Its encouraging to also learn from other builders here at MSW. 

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Michael....... I'm sure I've said this before, but I'll say it again .... You Sir, do amazing ! work. This is one great looking ship you're building!!

Frank

Frank,

Thank you so much!! you are always much too kind.

PS: after looking at your steamer sometime back (BTY awesome build-love the antiquing look, as well as the old people) and looking at a current build of the R E Lee, I'm so tempted to move into the 1800s and try one of these. I just bought two books that had amazing BW photos of the Mississippi steamers. 

Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael

Love your great details, you sure do have a great way of bring things all together to look so great,                                          ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

Lawrence,

thanks for your post, haven't checked lately and missed it. I appreciate your thoughts. 

Regards,

Michael

Hi Mates,

Thanks for the comments and the likes very kind of you.

Started working on the ropes for the anchor catheads. I wasn’t sure about how to detail the blocks. On the 1/10th the blocks were capsuled with metal bracings, not rope. This created a bit of a scratch of the head.

So I chose this solution;

1) re-drilled the block holes increasing their size.

2) drilled two more holes in each block, one for the hook and the other two for the pulley rods.

Looking through my boxes of “stuff” I found a copper tape strip that had adhesive backing. Hmmmm, that might work?

Cut the tape into a narrow strip and wrapped it around the block.

Glued the hook with CA, and pulled a drill bit through making sure that the hook was not blocking a rope hole.

Cut some flat head nails and glued them to the sides of the block.

Painted the added bits with flat black paint.

Lastly added the ropes attaching the blocks. Next up will be the single side anchor cathead and its block.

In the last two pics; I removed the knightheads that had been built such a long time ago, as well as removing the railing leading out of the upper gun deck, both of which are incorrect for Vasa. I will rebuild the knightheads to correctly reflect the Vasa’s. Tossed the railing (it was so nice (L)

post-735-0-99300100-1410578320_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-33137000-1410578333_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-20348900-1410578342_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-64774500-1410578353_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-36538800-1410578361_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-16479500-1410578369_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-81098000-1410578378_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-87495100-1410578385_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-67914400-1410578393_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-27576600-1410578400_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-40018500-1410578407_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-42500100-1410578413_thumb.jpg

Those blocks look great Michael B) If I may make one small suggestion.You could counterbore the hole where the knot sits,this would allow it to sit down a little in the cathead.I know not historically accurate and it is obvious you have got the knot as tight as possible for the rope size,just thought it would make the knot less obtrusive.Just an idea and I know it would mean re-rigging the blocks :huh:

Kind Regards

Nigel

Nigel,

Thanks so much, again, for suggesting an idea for improving the look of my build. Your advice is always SO welcome. You are so kind to post your thoughts. I will, of course, follow through. Brilliant idea. (:-) I so appreciated. Your earlier advice regarding the carriage wheels, as you may have noted I "re-did" all of the axles. Much improved (:-) (:-)

Regards,

Michael

Looks great Michael,

This is a Scratch Build Log...

Sorry :blush: but I think that the situation sould be like the second instead of the first as you had done.  :P

Ferit,

Thanks so much. This was a big error, and you are so kind to allow me to know of this. I so appreciate your post and pic. I have fixed this, as well as following Nigel's suggestion regarding the knots. I will post some updated pics along with the new kevels that I have just installed for the anchor catheads. Again thanks so much for your help (:-)

PS: Your Berlin ???? So many of us so love your work.

Regards,

Michael

As Nigel said, my pleasure.

All of us sometimes focus our attention on main affair and can skip a nuance. :)

And it's a pleasure to see obviously your enthusiasm and happiness are growing by overcoming upward details...

I respect your care and ability. Really stunning improvement Michael.

Nice job on the Cat blocks Michael, and the Foc'sle looks amazing.

B.E.

B.E,

Thanks so much for your post, coming from someone with your skills its a royal compliment. I'm very thankful (:-)

Michael

Hello Michael

I see my kit comes with 4 small turrets & 2 large ones.The plans show the large ones placed at the front of the lower gallery.Wouldn`t you think they would go at the rear?

/Mark

Mark,

Hello Michael

I see my kit comes with 4 small turrets & 2 large ones.The plans show the large ones placed at the front of the lower gallery.Wouldn`t you think they would go at the rear?

/Mark

Noted. Yes another Corel error to add to their list. I realized this as I was building the turrets. The lower galleries should have two same size large turrets. The only small ones are on the upper galleries.

I sent Corel an email requesting two large turrets. Their CS is very nice. They have sent me several parts to date. You will need, of course, to make your request “legit” I did note from where I had purchased the kit, and that they would not supply missing parts.

Be sure to add a jpg of the part(s) you need from their build sheet, along with the part, and their kit “S” number. Note the museum pic and my "fix”.

Their email is info@corel-srl.it

Please feel free to post or PM any questions that you have as you go along (:-)

At least your Corel is in its early stages. Armed with your excellent level of knowledge about this ship your alterations will fall into place nicely. Mine was quite a way along before I learned of my many mistakes (:-) Again, I'm very happy to help

PS: I think that I also asked for a few extra large size decorative figures.

Cheers,

Michael

post-735-0-30617600-1410835719_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-03317500-1410835789_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info.I have been studying the few pictures there are of a side view of the galleries as a whole. Maybe it`s the camera angle,but if you look closely at  the first picture of your last post the front one does look a little larger. I am going to ask about those towers on the Vasa forum just to be sure.Thanks again!

/Mark

Nigel and Ferit,

Thanks so very much for your advice. I have made the subtle, but very noticeable change to the knots by counter-sinking the holes. I have also changed how the blocks were laced.

Lastly I added the small details of the metal bracings at the sides of the cathead pulley rods.

Cheers guys and (:-) for you

Michael

post-735-0-14310400-1410886172_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-34009900-1410886229_thumb.jpg

You are so kind Michael, your Wasa amazing and details superb... As I previously said, many topics ago, there is really something different and so attractive about your Wasa...

Hi Mates,

Continuing with the bow anchor cathead details, now turning to their needed kevels.

It turns out that I had built and installed a second pair that was at one time attached to the quarter-deck, turns out that this was incorrect (see first two pics).

An early Vasa museum plans set (1980) showed two sets per side at that location, as did Landsröm. A second plan set dated 1981 had one set removed. I communicated with Fred Hocker, who indicated that the ’81 set had been corrected.

So the two kevels were just lying around, how convenient; shortened them for use at the bow railing, and just added a framing bit for attaching.

After gluing, then drilled small holes and inserted black fishing filament to simulate the needed nails.

The brilliant fishing line idea is not mine but belongs to one of our MSW members; apologetically I don’t remember whom (I did post a notation on his build log at the time of seeing his very clever idea)

Inserted the lines from the rear and left the front ends just a tad proud to simulate nail heads-sort of J

G-S cement is perfect for this task. If there were a bit of glue that travelled through the hole to the front end, after a few moments it can be removed with your thumb nail or tweezers, pulls completely off as would rubber cement. LOVE this glue! It has proved to be so versatile. Ferit thank you Again!! You found this.

Hint: I attempted to just “hack of" the front tips of the black filament to adjust them, but the blade snagged them and some resulted in angled cuts. Solution was to actually use the razor blade as a slicer moving the blade as I cut. Worked very nicely allowing for a nice clean flat cut. PS: Exacto type blade not up to the task.

--------------------

Thanks for your “likes”, dropping in for a look, as well as the very welcome supportive suggestions and comments J

Regards, as always

Michael

post-735-0-31253200-1410965950_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-45923600-1410965958_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-72877800-1410965968_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-00677700-1410965977_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-37983500-1410965983_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-15624300-1410965990_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-09754000-1410965997_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-29186300-1410966004_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-75985500-1410966010_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-59188200-1410966016_thumb.jpg