Wasa by md1400cs - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

Excellent, as always.

Patrick

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Hi Mates,

Thanks for the clicks and the comments.

PKD thanks for deciding to follow along. Welcome to the shipyard.

Also Ferit, as usual, you are always so helpful. Thanks for your photo/notation. Funny my eyes never saw the forward carriage wood inserts. Totally missed this.

Will add them to the falconet carriages, though they will probably be hidden from view. But I so appreciate you pointing this out. And, of course, all of the other weather deck carriages are also missing those bits ha ha...

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hi Mates,

Minor update, continuing work on the quarterdeck falconets; put together the needed block and tackles. Though I fear that the double blocks may be a size too big – not sure.

Ferit, as you can see I added your front framing (thanks for the tip).

Used small basswood strips, added a bit of a curve, painted and attached to carriage sides as axle and wheel supports.

I’ll post next after these two are installed.

Cheers,

post-735-0-11887500-1472329449_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-21562500-1472329465_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-79963700-1472329476_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-23177600-1472329490_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-41968700-1472329502_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-88934000-1472329530_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Mates,

Thanks for the “likes” much appreciated, as well as for your visiting this shipyard. 

Finished up the falconets. Install will be easy compared to the busy work that these little pieces required, but I am pleased with the results. Pics are self-explanatory so keeping this brief.

PS: I simulated the axle braces and the metal framings attaching cleats by using a small drill bit and barely indenting those surfaces. The illusion works well enough to look as if these parts are in fact properly attached to the carriages, I think J

The washers that became wheel caps were sourced from a model railroad hobby company. The washers are a bit too large, but I did not want to increase the size of the wheels. Close enough hmmm.

Cheers,

post-735-0-74446400-1472659691_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-42993200-1472659722_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-90684600-1472659742_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-64634700-1472659754_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-21673000-1472659766_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-23682600-1472659778_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Those falconets came out looking great! I love all the little details you put on them. They are going to look right at home aboard your ship.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

E.J-L, Buck, Martyn,

Thanks for your nice comments, very much appreciated. And thanks to all who are so kind to stop in for a look.

Falconets have been mounted. Will update, and now working on mizzen mast (:-)

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Mates,

A rather frustrating bit here with these falconets. First, as has been discussed Corel’s deck is too narrow. So carriages tend to be too close to each other in any case.

OK then the double blocks that I am using, as I had thought earlier, are a bit too large.

When laced with carriage single blocks they run into each other.

Then pulled the carriages away from the hull sides a bit, but as you can see they are (the carriages) way too close to each other now.

Then ha ha  I also realized that the blocks and tackles were way too close to the cannons on each side.

After looking at the other installations, realized that cannon vertical framings are double pieces, allowing for the blocks to mount a bit away from the carriages (pic 4)

Well as you can see in last photo – time for a fix again.

Cheers as always,

post-735-0-94660100-1473017506_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-47595100-1473017521_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-23587600-1473017534_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-04394400-1473017547_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-29541600-1473017558_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-62112900-1473017569_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

I ran into the same problem when rigging my canons of the blocks being too large and coming together when rigged. I ended up leaving them that way but it has been one of those things that constantly bugs me.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

That narrow deck has got to be frustrating after building such amazing cannons. Could the wheels be made smaller like the ones in the 4th pic and the carriages shortened so they only extend a short ways past the cannon barrel? I know that means more work...

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Hi Michael, now I see you are working also on the 1:75 scale from Corel. I faced also the same problems

with some models it is an "art" to install items with some items not installing, like these blocks and all details. I also saw some builders who used only a small ball to simulate the blocks as this in these scales 1:75 almost impossible to do that realistic

Jan V. 

current build: Vasa-1628 Corel / Battle Station Mantua/Panart,

previous: Statenjacht / Cross section HMS Victory / diorama shipyard

Michael

I don't see how 2 canons across from each other and this close could be managed in this area of the deck. Is it possible they were offset from each to handle the recoil and reloading? I suppose, since only one side was firing at a time (for the most part) it may be possible. I would not want to be the sailor manning  the train tackle on those guns. :)

Dave

Maybe something like this.

in the museum there is a reconstructed part of the hull

Some of the guns are arranged inclined (angled).

ps,

You might get in trouble when the door must be opened .

post-24614-0-43259700-1473181584_thumb.jpg

post-24614-0-14703000-1473181604_thumb.jpg

Greetings Patrick

Edited by Backer

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Hi Mates,

Thanks for dropping by -always;

EJ_L  Yes, my thoughts as well – but needed to make the changes. They would have indeed bugged me J

Edwin-  always a pleasure when you drop by and comment –thanks !

Buck, see my notes below regarding wheel sizes as well as carriage framing. Thanks so much for your thoughts.

Mark, see last pic lol

JanV, yes a bit of a headache trying to add arguably a bit too much detail. But I am mostly enjoying the challenges.

Dave & Patrick Thanks for your suggestions and photos.  Good idea on the angling. Dave point well taken indeed,,,

Some thoughts –strictly for edification, not as complaints.

Mentioned before; Vasa was mounted with many diff. size artillery. I chose the two that are circled as my guides for the main weather deck, and the two falconets for the quarterdeck. Chose to replicate the looks of the carriages and their wheel sizes.

Even so the actual artilleries are all wrong. (Casting is way above my skill set – forever!!) So after-market examples were good enough; actually very nice indeed. Huge improvement over Corel included examples (as with most kits)

Note Clayton Johnson’s amazing work in these two photos.

post-735-0-73778600-1473182227_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-46291400-1473182252.jpeg

In regard to carriage spacing, note the actual carriage length beyond back of cannon. I had originally built all carriages in this correct way, but subsequently realized that I needed to trim the entire overhang away in order to have the carriages fit more properly onto the too narrow weather deck. Again Corel!!.

post-735-0-91048700-1473182323_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-57085900-1473182343_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-70868300-1473182356_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-24647200-1473182374_thumb.jpg

Main deck (no forecastle) seems better scaled. Though I still needed to cut carriage overhangs. Also - I know that I need to re-paint my knighthead figures (PS; weak quality castings)

post-735-0-39483600-1473182449_thumb.jpg

For the dummy carriages in the upper and lower gun decks, well that was a gift ha ha.

post-735-0-47191700-1473182490_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-59752100-1473182513_thumb.jpg

So working on the fix for the quarterdeck falconets. Smaller blocks are the first step, scaling also looks better.

post-735-0-35535900-1473182573_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-77424000-1473182592_thumb.jpg

Chuck and his Syren Comp.  We are very good acquaintances. In fact all rigging are also from his company, excellent quality products indeed; well deserved plug Chuck…

post-735-0-96860200-1473182626_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Thanks  Michael for the explanation. I see what you mean. I am wrestling with the deck fit on my build from Revell and have to compromise for sake of sanity too. At any rate and no matter what you rig - your build is beautiful and will always be admired for its excellence.

Dave

Edited by lambsbk

Hi Martyn,

The Corel Kit has been developped in the early 70's just a few years after the recovery of the Vasa. there has not been any re-design from the kit.

As far as I understood Billing Boats re-designed their kit but no kit is really perfect, although the newest kit from DAgostini seams to be the most accurate kits, but this is just on the market this year, so we have to wait for this final result.

Jan V. 

current build: Vasa-1628 Corel / Battle Station Mantua/Panart,

previous: Statenjacht / Cross section HMS Victory / diorama shipyard

I don't think I have built a kit model of anything since I was a kid that I have not bashed either due to inaccuracies of the kit or my just my own personal demands. Some kits require more than others and some builders require more than others. A kit gives you the basic building blocks. It is up to the individual modeler to decide if that is good enough for them or to see how far they can take it.

Michael has by far taken a "basic" kit above and beyond to the point the kit is barely recognizable as a kit.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Dave, thanks indeed. One of these days I may get to your level with interior lighting.

Martyn, JanV is right. This has been discussed with we Vasa nut cases. And yes that new DAgostini looks to be excellent. Even the canon artillery is correct.  Though it is a very big model. In a way I’m relieved that it will not be available in the USA, I would be too tempted. Too few here probably know much about the ship. This, of course, is not the case in Europe. The vasa Museum is one of the most popular in Europe. So for modelers the Vasa is a well known ship.

E.J, This is only my second model ship. The first one was soooo many years ago. Did some other hobbies (plastic) in between, but always wanted to get back to wood. Here is one that fell through the cracks. Needs to be completed. Hmmm.

post-735-0-51105000-1473292506_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-01929500-1473292527_thumb.jpg

Back to wood -pitting aside the falconets for a bit after redoing the vertical frames and instead starting the mizzenmast and its platform.

Thanks, mates for your continued interest

Cheers,

post-735-0-08943100-1473292574_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-87877100-1473292592_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Man that looks really nice!!.......this is a classic build... excellent work Michael

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

That is a fine looking engine, transmission and suspension there. I have a few of those unfinished cars that usually take up room on a shelf but are now packed away for a move. Building fuel lines, and spark plug wires along with the many other custom parts was how all my modeling got started.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Mates,

Thanks for the likes on my "other" hobby (:-)

Peter, thanks. Yes, I have seen this in Hocker's Vasa book (p 57) Though this is a reference for the lower gun deck. Regarding weather deck gun positioning the same could certainly apply. 

Dave offered a good suggestion in offsetting the last two quarterdeck carriages (I will try that). I actually now also realize that I also "over-scaled" those two carriages. 

Regards,

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Peter,

This is the book. I was not too clear in my post.  

PS: I went through your Lotus build log - brilliant work indeed. Thanks for sharing. 

post-735-0-58948300-1473619785_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -