Wasa by md1400cs - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

Michael,

Always a great pleasure to see your updates and photos. Your work is really amazing, and a real inspiration for me.

I am looking forward to your next posts when you have returned to building again.

Completed:

Catalina from Mamoli (1/32)

European small river ship (scratch build) (1/50)

Currently building: Wasa from Corel (1/75)

Future: Titanic (Mantua), Batavia (Kolderstok), Friesland (Mamoli), Bismarck (Hachette), Prins Willem (Corel)

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

Peter, Andy, Buck, Mark, Ferit, B.E.,Matti, JanV, Andre

Thanks for all of your really nice comments on how things are coming along.  Much appreciated. Your comments really motivate me to try to always improve my skills as I read, and learn from MSW's great members and registered guests.

The ship has been in dry dock, along with a forced labor strike for the last couple of weeks. I hope to resolve this "labor issue' within the next month or so. I'm just about ready to "go back to work" for this one overseas project I mentioned earlier. I hope to be away for less than 4 weeks. But, one never knows...I was scheduled to leave a week ago, but.....

There has also been a sort of civilized civil war (oxymoron I know) here at the house. My wife thinks that I should not start travelling again. Especially on those 24hr+ long haul rides that are required.  She thinks that I should put my music on, continue building my ship and send you folks the photos, and enjoy my single malts on the weekends (:-) Women are always right....

I do have mixed feelings, however I'm lucky that I travel with a lot of comfort (Star Alliance owes me!!.) And I also sometimes miss the "business game" if you will. This "bump" will resolve itself in due course. But I love retirement. OK enough of my personal ramblings...Sorry - got caught up in a way to vent.

--------------------------------

Specifically regarding JanV's comment about now getting to the masts. I wish! I don't think I'm quite ready for that. When I return, I need to do the following first;

•Cut hull water drains on both sides. Along with two large protruding drains near the stern

•Holes for cannon ropes

•Build, hinge and install cannon doors

•Build and install deck cannons (each of the fourteen cannons will have a lot of added details)

•Build and install ship mooring stays on both sides of the deck, with some within the deck railings

•Re-build bow railing (stanchions are not correct)

•Re-build stairs leading astern (wrong shapes)

•Remove poop deck stairs and replace with those bench looking things I see in the 1:1 pics

•Hull openings need to be cut and windows installed near the  galleries on each side

•Build and install ratline braces x6

•Paint bowsprit figures. I plan on adding slim vertical supports for each figure this time, as is shown on the 1:10th. I  should have done the same for all of the stern figures as well. Too late.

If I started installing masts it would be very difficult, given my workspace, to roll the ship on its sides. So my "to do list" is rather long. After I can go "vertical"

Again I so thank all of you who have taken the time to view this build, and especially leave your super nice remarks. Thanks

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hi Michael

Every time I look at your wonderful Wasa I want to build mine again… It’s really a gem you are building with the same kit I put together just by the book many years ago.

About your personal ramblings…

As long as your civil wars stays civil just try to enjoy your travels. One of the Star Alliance Members is paying for my hobby (and the living) after all and I really like those frequent customers traveling in comfort!

My wife dreads the time (not so far away) of my retirement and having me at home and underfoot all the time. I will have to travel then occasionally just to give us some breathing space. We do have a wonderful partnership but we are accustomed to have and value also some time on our own.

Wives are always right…. :huh::rolleyes:

Take care

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Peter,

Thank you (:-). Glad to hear about your civil harmony Nice!! Yes, retirement will be a "new game, with new rules". Well you will be able to fly away at a moments notice, nice part of your career perks.

Yes, the Wasa has become, especially after the museum opening, a very popular build. You may want to revisit a new build.

-------------------------------

So you are a driver for one of the Star Alliance carriers. Good for you. I have, also, always loved aviation. I stopped flying after about 2000+hrs of flight time. Now the big joke in my family is; they tell me that now when I push a button in an airplane its to get an other drink (:-)

I should be back to my real life very soon. I miss checking in at MSW. I will have a lot of catching up do. Looking forward to it.

Curious, are you with (LX) SWISS? only Airbuses except for some Avros (the 340 is super nice). LH, is my only experiences with Star as a passenger. Nice but mid cabin seats are not yet all fleet consistent. Everything else, for me, has been with those that feed Asia, with SQ, NH and TG as my favs. UA is well UA (:-)

PS: Are ATC still on strike over where you are?

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael

Yes, LX lets me drive their A330 and 340’s. And of course our company offers the best seat of any star alliance members in any class. ;)

A good thing with my job is that you are occasionally able to visit ships and museums all over the world (Stockholm, Greenwich, San Francisco, San Diego, Boston, Barcelona, Madrid, Paris…) while working and get actually paid for it.

One of the bad things is of course an ATC on strike. Actually they claim to work normally. Although there are some places over here where it makes hardly any difference if they are on strike or not (no, I didn’t mention Spain).  Those 2000 hours, did you log them on small aircraft or did you spend some working time on airliners?

And there really is of course also a button in my office which I push to get another drink, but just coffee, and, oh, there are some more... :huh::wacko::blink:

And one big benefit is of course the view from my office window if the time is right. I guess you know that harbour...

post-504-0-99437400-1371668217_thumb.jpg

Take care

Peter

Hi Peter,

340s are sweet big machines. Advantage for you guys; Leave it to the French to have your lunch tray slide out right in front of you.

Regarding my flight experience, I trained up to B727s, and then DC10s (simulator only). I rode "side-saddle" as an FX with a regional operator PSA (later sold to US Air) in the late 70s in 727-200s. I also upgraded to the right seat. Though we were working 6-8 cycles every duty. Got a bit tiring after a couple of years. And in 1978 there was an in-company crash that caused a lot of family pressure for me to leave the airline bus (my wife always hated flying). I did, and I taught Aeronautics at UCLA for 5 years, and worked for a charter company.

Turns out that I actually preferred driving left seat in the smaller; P. Aerostars, King Air 200s, C 414, and 421s rather than the big busses. Also, we only looked at analog (you remember). You guys flying glass, along with all the redundant systems today including Jeps on iPads, taxi profiles on-screen have it so easy (:-) When HSI's, and flight directors came along for smaller airplanes, we thought that was so great. We would just drive the airplane on ILS's with the two orange bars. Fun...

I then went into business with partners and build up just shy of one million miles on Star Alliance in about ten years (sitting). All long-hauls; peaceful. Loved the drink button. Never rode in one of yours at LX. Hmmm need to, it seems.

I did ride in an amazing machine three years ago. One of yours; a Pilatus PC-12 (not the ng), a friend was deadheading it for a client, and he asked if I wanted to ride along. Hmmm, now that is some sweet airplane. Nice work Switzerland!! Things looked nice at Fl24 in one of those, along with a cabin altitude of 9000 ft, and a Vso of 69kts, (over the fence at about 85). A rate of climb of about 1,600 fpm it is close to the old 727s that where good for about 1,800 ftm above 12,000 feet.

You've prob. already seen this--nice 360º tour.  http://www.pilatus-aircraft.com/#11

OK done with "off topic". I don't want to bore those whom are interested in this Wasa (:-) Though I enjoyed our short personal chat. Here are a couple of photos of my favorite machine the 601p. On that flight we were outbound from BUR to BOI.

SO----I have returned to my real life and will start posting ship updates after removing the dust, and getting back to having fun at home. Cheers... Yes there were some amazing views from the front. Especially on top above overcasts during sunsets. Those I miss (:-)

Regards, MJD

PS: Your Pegasus is stunning!!!

post-735-0-10876700-1372134289_thumb.jpeg

post-735-0-90231800-1372134329_thumb.jpeg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

ZyXuz

Thanks for your very nice words. Much appreciated. The Gallery was a lot of time consuming work. I'm happy that you like how it turned out.

Sorry to bore some of you with Peter and I's aviation chats (:-)

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Janos,

Thank you..

As we say here "go for it"....It is a very special ship that has so much documented information behind it. In that regard it is a 16th century build that one can replicate more easily. Of course there is ALWAYS the HMS Victory (:-)

Thanks for your nice post Regards

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael,

just read your absolutely NOT boring aviation chat, was really interesting!! 

Beside of the ships I myself always was interested also in aviation, but it is really time consuming if you want to do this only as a hobby (especially in Germany...). After the separation of my first wife, I first made my license for paraglider, then for sailplane and trained for motor sailer, but never made my license (I met my today's wife...).

The paraglider I flew for several years. But at least I had to decide between my wife, children and on the other side the aviation... My wife was interested in sailing and ships, but absolutely not in aviation - therefore, step by step I stopped all aviation activities.... Since then, nearly every year I am sailing with my family, and we all like it (see the last post in my build log)....

It was the only possible decision for me to stop the aviation activities, there is not enough time to do everything, but sometimes, whenever I see beautiful planes, .....

So far a bit off-topic... but now I am looking forward to see more of your wonderful model!

Regards, Joachim 

My new Book in ENGLISH and GERMAN available:

"The colour blue in historic shipbuilding"

http://www.modellbau-muellerschoen.de/buch-en.htm

Current build   Amerigo Vespucci    http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/836-amerigo-vespucci-by-schiffebastler-mantua-model-scale-184-italien-sail-training-ship-build-1931/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History:

http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Joachim,

I had noticed that you had not updated us for a while. I will be so happy to, again, look at your beautiful Vespucci, as well as looking at photos of your sailing adventures. Very nice and peaceful moments with nature on the water. It must be very enjoyable. Sailplanes always fascinated me, but I never flew in one. Good for you that you have had the experience.

By the way, I occasionally get "stuck" with my Wasa, I then go and look at photos of yours for help (:-) I am just starting to add the two gun decks, and weather deck hull water drain holes. I like how you did yours--I will copy thanks. Now I need to go see your build -missed it (:-)

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael,

do you need special informations for going on with your Wasa? Maybe you remember, I own the plans and the book of the Wasa from Wolfram zu Mondfeld. So, if you need some special infos, I can send you scans or photos of it. Although it is written in German language, nevertheless it might be helpful for you.

Regards, Joachim

Current build   Amerigo Vespucci    http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/836-amerigo-vespucci-by-schiffebastler-mantua-model-scale-184-italien-sail-training-ship-build-1931/

Joachim,

Yes, I remember. In fact you sent me several photos of the running rigging. I looked for that book on Amazon USA and there was one seller that had it for sale, printing 1883 or thereabouts. His asking price $1,250.00 USD. You have a rare book (:-)

There is ONE thing maybe you could help me with. Regarding the water drain holes, I am working on the lower, upper gun decks  Easy!!.And I just installed the drains for the weather deck (on the sides of the hull)

However, here is the question. I do not have any photos, that I can find that show me how to make the holes on the edges of the deck itself. Would you have a photo or drawing that gives an example? 

I plan on drilling small holes at the weather deck edges in any case. However, I would prefer to see how it was really supposed to look. Thanks in advance. If you don't have a reference don't worry (:-) 

Thanks for following my build, very kind of you...

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael

please check the pictures on this website

http://www.modelships.de/Museums_and_replicas/Vasa-Museet-Stockholm/Photos-Vasa-ship.htm

here you can see the locations of the extra openings, assuming these are the watering openings you are looking for.

(I have these pictures all printed and use these in my workshop, maybe in the future an old computer is easier)

Jan V. 

current build: Vasa-1628 Corel / Battle Station Mantua/Panart,

previous: Statenjacht / Cross section HMS Victory / diorama shipyard

Jan,

Thank you. Yes I do know all of these photos and have looked at all of them many times. In this instance, I can't see what I'm looking for. I need to see the openings from the deck itself, as if I were standing on the deck. I am installing the hull exits. Thanks anyway I appreciate your posting.

Regards    Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hello Michael,

the price of the book sounds crazy! I bought the book and the plan-set for about 40 USD...

Now, I took some scans of the drain holes (in German "Speigat"). There exist 13 pairs, 12 of them arranged in the middle section of the hull (see pictures). One pair is in the back and bigger than the others, it is used for the water from the pumps and is build by a beam where a hole is drilled through for leading the water directely outside.

Usually for this type of ships, outside the drain holes have become a tube of canvas in order to protect the hull, but of course they did not found this by the Wasa, so it ist not sure for this ship.

Hope, I could help you.

Regards, Joachim

post-1171-0-89527500-1372625791_thumb.jpg

post-1171-0-29013300-1372625801_thumb.jpg

post-1171-0-47528300-1372625810_thumb.jpg

post-1171-0-16383100-1372625819_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone,

It's so nice to be back to my "peaceful" life. I have missed many updates from those whom I follow, as well as some new builds that I have just discovered (One of which is Victorian Steam Launch 1/26 by Mario OH my) What a pleasure to spend time at MSW.

So here is a minor update with the Wasa. But this small update has caused me some frustration, as you have noted above. Firstly thank you Jan and Joachim for offering help.

The issue is with the last photo of this update below. I made a pencil mark along the deck. This is where I need to drill the holes on each side of the weather deck. These holes would connect to the exit holes in pic. 5. So how should I shape the exit on the deck? Should the sides of the holes be wide? Should the deck planking be cut into as well?

At the end of the day, of course, it's a stupid place to be puzzled, and probably borders on minor obsession. I hope that you enjoy looking at this minor move forward. As always,

Regards   Michael

post-735-0-07500100-1372703724_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-46330800-1372703733_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-57357800-1372703741_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-65123700-1372703749_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-42952800-1372703757_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-07918800-1372703766_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael,

as you can see on the first picture I posted, you can see on the right side, how these holes end on the deck. Usually the deck should have at the side some thicker planks (I don`t know the english word...) where the chanel for the drain holes ends.

Regands, Joachim

Joachim, thanks for the clarification.

Matti that may be a great help. Please get better, and I will wait for some possible information after you Visit the Vasa museum.

Yes, I think that your are most probably correct; the holes are plain and should be a bit lower than my mark. Matti Could do also take a better picture of this drain hole of the pic just bello?. Its just above and to the right of the canon door. There is a square timber that has a drain in it. This drain is also on all of the plans sheets that I have,  Thanks

Regards   Michael 

post-735-0-87188700-1372741571_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Ill do my best, but the lightning conditions are really dark to preserve the wood.

I went through Landströms book and he doesnt draw anything at those locations (view from the deck).

They dont follow the same line as the wales though, the builders cut through the wale when positioning one or two of them, I havent decided if Ill imitate this on my model.

Strangely it looks like the holes on the outside sits a little low compaired to the deck? Im also getting curious.

/Matti

post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Matti,

Thanks..Yes it is rather dark at the museum. When I visited there in the 90's, had I known that I was going to build this kit, I would have taken so many more photos. I flew to Stockholm just to see the Vasa (I was working in London at the time)  What an astonishing experience. Its as though one could time travel..

PS: Loved the Steig Larson books, what a story (:-) What a sad ending for him.

Regards,    Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael,

as you can see on the first picture I posted, you can see on the right side, how these holes end on the deck. Usually the deck should have at the side some thicker planks (I don`t know the english word...) where the chanel for the drain holes ends.

Regands, Joachim

Maybe the waterways u will say...

Edited by Mecheleir

Schiffebastler,

Yes, now I understand your explanation. I also carefully looked at some of the 1/10th photos. I did notice how it looks from the deck, I think.

Though at this point after viewing original photos of the salvaged ship, none of the weather deck was intact. So who knows how it really looked (:-) As usual I very much appreciate the time you take to offer help if I happen to have some questions.

Right now I have started to remove the bow cross railing. I will reconfigure it to look more closely like the 1/10th. So moving froward with small "fix and repair" tasks. I'm also installing those oval window frames on each side, forward of the upper galleries. As well as those very small square widows just forward of the lower galleries. And finishing water exits. I'll update some pics very soon.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

I went to the museum yesterday. I tried to take pictures, but it is very dark where the holes are (from what I could see the holes are above the thin list that runs where the deck meet the "wall timber", like we guessed.

Ill post some of the pics in my thread later on, including the ones I tried to get for you. Need to work with them in photoshop first to get better contrast. I focused more on the galleries and the windows you mentioned, as Im doing them now also.

/Matti

post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Matti,

Thanks. Your efforts are appreciated. I think that our best possibilities for the weather deck drains are by looking at the 1/10th. Here is a photo that I cropped. You can see the drain on the port side. Follow with you eye to the other side of the deck and you can sort of make out the look of the drain from the other side.

So, in my case not having made those small square cuts, and inserting small square pieces during the initial hull build, I'm left with just drilling holes, and adding a small square cover (:-)

That's what happens when someone decides to "add" much more detail after the construction has already started. Hmmmm oh well...It's still a lot of fun.

Regards,

Michael

post-735-0-75382100-1373200939_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael,

I am sure, you will succeed with a wonderful result!

Regards, Joachim

I have been away on holiday travels for some weeks and am now catching up on all your efforts. As I said before: an amazing level of details that you are achieving!! My compliments!

Completed:

Catalina from Mamoli (1/32)

European small river ship (scratch build) (1/50)

Currently building: Wasa from Corel (1/75)

Future: Titanic (Mantua), Batavia (Kolderstok), Friesland (Mamoli), Bismarck (Hachette), Prins Willem (Corel)

Andre,

Again thank you for your, always, kind and encouraging words. Very much appreciated.

I'm doing some small detail work right now, and I will post an update soon. It won't seem like much, but these small projects are time consuming (:-)

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Michael,

I just visited the Vasa Museet 2 weeks ago with a Model Ship Club colleague. Your work is excellent. I hadn't noticed your posts until today. There are many builders here who appreciate your attention to detail - and your dedication to creating a stunning replica. Count me as one of them, please.

Seeing this reconstucted 17th-C warship "in the flesh" was an amazing (and all day!) experience. We had the opportunity to spend some time with Fred Hocker (the museum's archaeologist and lead researcher) who was kind enough to explain the "latest" finds (and concerns). The reconstruction of the ship is now complete and Dr. Hocker claims that it is 98% original. He's now working on documenting and doing a reconstruction of the anchors, specifically the wrought iron metal work.

The Vasa itself is nothing short of extraordinary; a sailing vessel that's nearly 400 years old. The restoration has taken more than 50 years - however- and it's had the full support of the Swedish government. The Vasa is also Sweden's #1 tourist money-spinner; there were more than 1 million visitors last year.

Interestingly, although the 10th scale model adjacent to the real thing was impressive, I found the "screaming colors" of the decorations to be garish. As Dr. Hocker confirmed, the actual paint colors which have been studiously researched would have been much more muted. The materials used to create various colors of the day would have been considerably subdued, more pastel-like. In fact, as our conversation about original colors was happening, a young woman walked up and presented a sample of her grandfather's paints to Mr. Hocker so he could advise which color to paint the upper side stern "clinker" panels was more accurate. Of three choices she showed us, Hocker confirmed that the more "terra cotta" color looked the most accurate. This color was a very muted reddish color, not a bright crimson.

This may be too esoteric, and if so, my apologies. I spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about and then executing color choices on my models. Mostly I try to "paint with wood"- but I also select finishes and paint hues that attempt to replicate what might have been available centuries ago. Just my "thing."

Again, your work is inspiring, both your research and skills to execute what you see. You will truly have one of a very few "accurate" and amazing models of the Vasa when she's completed!

Ron

PS Have you seen Clayton Johnson's HUGE Vasa model? 

http://finearts.blog.gustavus.edu/2013/01/18/swedish-warship-vasa-model-on-display-at-gustavus/

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren