Wasa by md1400cs - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

Hi Mates,

Minor update. Started locating all of the bow area pin locations.

Now starting with securing most of the shrouds, a few will wait until I get to the foremast. These lines connect to the foresails as well as to the lower forestay rope.

Need to be sure that no tension bends occur later.

1.thumb.jpg.cfa5ad1eb29cf3829cba0ebe85d989d6.jpg2.thumb.jpg.77f87c2856c9c368511d65ca0f0f5c43.jpg3.thumb.jpg.9beb04acc3c3658c854084d178292e88.jpg

Also started doing rope wraps for the pins. One at a time will take way too long – need to get some kind of mass assembly of sorts. I’ll search out of logs for ideas in the rigging section.

Need to determine visual spool lengths as some shrouds connect to furled sails, others not. Also need to do some coiled wraps on the deck. For that purpose, I’ve ordered double sided clear tape as one of the members suggested in his log.

4.thumb.jpg.f282faebc6cc273f5fe8e57801bfae23.jpg5.thumb.jpg.2be6d288ac710bb6d5343b397c81c31a.jpg

Rotating the boat back and forth on that small table of mine – the side of the gallery hit the recess of the inside the deep double-glazed window frame – Grrrr fix came out OK.

Moved the small table a bit away from the window ledge.

a1.thumb.jpg.63c993719c21a063b651547b02854e47.jpga2.thumb.jpg.ad540ccace9051a7ae6ac5b703eaf7f8.jpga3.thumb.jpg.ed93a7b9c1f80b7c98893b08bd5ca9ed.jpga4.thumb.jpg.59c738faa76c9195335b24cf535578b5.jpg

As always, thanks for your comments and likes.

Regards,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

I'm gonna try that idea with the rope belayment........running the thread through the hole before the pin is inserted.   thought about doing it to the Thermopylae when I get to the rigging part.......haven't seen it done too much here.   takes a lot of the fight out of it  ;) 

nice job on the repair and trim work  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Such a great build, I really like how you have painted the carvings they look fantastic. Super work on the fix, very annoying but happens to all of us;)

Denis,

Yes it’s a good technique. It also adds temporary tension to a line with just the pin holding in place allowing for later re-adjusting the lines as needed.

Then cutting the extra and adding the coiled rope covers seems to work very well.

=======================

Also for making coiled ropes:

Using painter’s trim tape coil the rope.

Add a film of CA Gel

This will “lock” the spooled coil. And the gel will not bleed through to what will serve as the topside of the coil.

I then used small beads of Gorilla wood glue to secure the coil in place on the deck.

Had I thought of this much earlier I would have tried to coil all of the canon ropes. Though those ropes are super small almost like thick thread. Hmmm

1.thumb.jpg.58c3f0bbc64bda981509802ec59a52cb.jpg2.thumb.jpg.b7bc260646477cb7b345f946adc5ef09.jpg3.thumb.jpg.f52d4257a24ec02bc36403e984b3d868.jpg4.thumb.jpg.0333f26a9d4afd462958c4c6d2dc8726.jpg5.thumb.jpg.56342c7642100f9486e8aec11851eb7a.jpg

Almost fished with this section - Last night started the three foremast sails- now that's a mess to figure out.

PS: Peter, I'm so happy that you know very little about Viking ships - what a personal relief (:-)))

Don Thanks !

1.thumb.jpg.58c3f0bbc64bda981509802ec59a52cb.jpg

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Beautiful update Michael.

Nice job on the rigging and the repair.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Patrick -  as always thanks much appreciated. 

Mates thanks for the likes (;-)

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Mates,

Thanks for your very kind thoughts and likes.

Section work in progress update:

Moving to the foremast area. This area having so many more shrouds and ropes in areas that are harder to access behind the ratlines has resulted in needing a few more stress “time outs” :)

Also working from three diff. plan sheets that show specific (and diff.) pin and rope attaching locations has increased the workload. Not a complaint = just an observation.

Also when I first installed the rails and drilled the pin holes on the upper railings (using Corel instructions way back when) that kit not having running rigging did NOT include the extra needed pinholes. Now needed to drill more rail holes behind ratlines. Will need the same fix when I reach the mainmast.

But it will all sort itself out :) Here are a few in-progress updated views.

None of the lines have been fixed or adjusted – just sorting out where they "should" go.

Regards,

1.thumb.jpg.b7646d0d61989bcef153fe22ecada17d.jpg2.thumb.jpg.195d9d4b53b43bb24ab248a8fb215e99.jpg3.thumb.jpg.10d85e88530e35d04d6a258b56b83132.jpg4.thumb.jpg.20daa2ad6505550976850beb6732a03f.jpg

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

just take your time and be careful Michael.....unfortunate that you didn't see this earlier.   model building at it's finest!   we do and we cope........I'm sure you'll persevere.   do they sell long shank drill bits? 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Denis,

Not sure about that. I am allowing for further reach by not inserting the drill bit too deeply into the Dremel. Also the size of the drill precluded wobbling. I do insert a pointer first - so that in-any-case- drill bit won't wander off and really cause extra grief.

Drilled six or so extra holes so far with perfect luck :D Thanks for the advice !

Regards,

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Still following your build and can still not believe you are building the same kit as I am building. This looks like a scale 1:50 instead of the 1:75 of Corel

I am saving some pictures for when I am at that stage. At this moment my build is on hold due to renovation of our house.

Jan V. 

current build: Vasa-1628 Corel / Battle Station Mantua/Panart,

previous: Statenjacht / Cross section HMS Victory / diorama shipyard

Martyn – much appreciated thanks so much,

JanV: Thanks for still following along. Appreciate the compliment as well. Yes, you have been very busy with your house – well worth closing the shipyard for a while.

Update NO – but a badly avoided major issue. I share the fix in case others may end up with this problem….and could prevent the possibility beforehand.

Was finishing up the bowsprit area rigging details and sort of noticed over the last couple of weeks or so that the bowsprit platform was well “not looking right” wiggling a bit as well – then decided to pay it some real attention.

Curses here was the problem! (with the entire section on the verge of collapsing as well). Those of you kind enough to follow and also read along might remember that I had mentioned snapping the flagstaff mast twice. Well that problem was not limited to just that tiny mast.

5a08c73322955_1copy.thumb.jpg.4839d97ae2d671c42777dae90a9701f3.jpg

The brass wire certainly saved the entire section from collapsing.

So the fix:

Disconnected those six futtock shrouds as well as that block

Slivered in lots of glue into the open gashes,

Used forward pressure with other hand to close the wound, re-adjusted the platform - then impaled a drill bit through both masts.

Kept adding drill bit depth into the masts by re-adjusting the bit bite on the Dremel – to the point where the drill bit was almost totally inserted.

Drill bit stayed there – then used locking tweezers to secure the mess and let the glue cure.

5a08c73974227_2copy.thumb.jpg.aa50ba3ea0ec55466a4acd6d661999c6.jpg5a08c73e7a6db_3copy.thumb.jpg.02f3a6f4103483c4183d584294f9028c.jpg4.thumb.jpg.6ec2d33e75e036a72db5f896c99eb3eb.jpg

Added bits of wood to add substantive filler within the gaps – also hoping to add rigidity.

5.thumb.jpg.0b514595ed411166854e6e4ebd707aff.jpg

Then went to another area of the house carrying an empty glass that needed filling (it was Sat night J) and let this wound close up overnight.

5a08c74e0662f_6copy.thumb.jpg.b49b3c1339ca5eb788c87ca241c66689.jpg

Today: snapped off the end of the drill bit, Dremeled the left over shard.

Decided to add a camouflage to the scars, it got really fixed but post-surgery was ugly (:-) and there were unacceptable visible gaps. The slivers of wood do hide the fix, even though not correct.

7.thumb.jpg.7aa1b1530a8917ca9cb55db4eb46dabe.jpg8.thumb.jpg.3de4a5a3c0009f7d18e501a3b7abe774.jpg9.thumb.jpg.a662ea7d4065c5d1fff1e64d4f29802d.jpg     A                                                            

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hola Michael:

I see you are progressing well, despite the mistakes that always appear and those that you have been able to correct properly. Everything is part of the fun and also serves to exercise the mind and creativity.
I see in several of your photos (2017-11.1) that you place the rigging provisionally, leaving them loose and without fastening it to the pin-rails. I think this lends itself to confusion and complicates its placement. What I do is place each rigging on its corresponding pin, although provisionally, inserting each one into the corresponding hole and holding it with the pin (as you have done). This allows to verify the position of the rigging and check if they have enough space between them or do not cross each other or avoid other complications.
By the way, to make new holes, I use the drills of the dremel but using a manual drill.

Muchos saludos, Karl

Karl : thanks for your post. This, my first effort at rigging a “complicated” ship, is still a learning experience as I move along, and fairly confusing at best. Yes your suggestion will also be incorporated. Thanks for your thoughts.

That area will be much more involved than the just (finally) completed bow section. All those ropes were easy to place, and pin-holes were not hiding (;-).

Yes, I did some preliminary rope installations at the foremast section and, as I had mentioned - not enough pin-holes. I will add pins to tighten up the lines and also need to avoid crossing things up. Also Karl I am using the rigging sheets that you sent me (Billings), along with the Vasa museum profile sheet - almost ignoring the Corel sheets. In any case - when the Vasa II book is published whatever I do will be wrong - Not an issue for me any more. Just want to make sure that all lines don't cross each other up. Also with furled sails I need to be cautious how I locate certain lines (inside or outside other sail lines)

B,E. As always thanks for your continued visits – Your suggestion is very plausible. Much appreciated – I had not thought of that – thanks for your kind words as well.

So I have completed the bow section. I promise that these photos will be the last from there !!

As always mates thanks so much for your advice, and likes.

Cheers,

1.thumb.jpg.e4c9eb8a53fdcd4bb7dc0dca4315905b.jpg2.thumb.jpg.6f476b01117503e44a1be984d522ab4c.jpg3.thumb.jpg.c3766dbf28d14d2f40492cb93e765562.jpg4.thumb.jpg.1935a805168dce2110e5e28a6fb3e7ed.jpg5.thumb.jpg.e1f118011e9a18ae77434d99cdc7eefb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

nice fix!   are you going to fix the crow's nest basket too?   she's look'in awesome Michael  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I'm running out of ways to say how awesome she is looking! Also, I don't think there can ever be too many pictures of an area so no worries there. :P  As always great job! Your willingness to go slow and check, double check, undo, redo, scrap and rebuild it again has paid off in dividends. Regardless of historical accuracy when (if) Vasa II ever graces us with it's presence, you have made a truly impressive model. :D

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Ditto  E_J............

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi Mates,

Dave: so kind thanks !

Denis: Yes that basket needs some help – it’s on my list of fixes – happily that list is getting very short.

EJ: Thanks so much. One of the great advantages of MSW is learning from other builders. My skills since I joined could only have gotten better by also emulating other builder’s log ideas/techniques for this current effort as well as sage advice from member posts. I’m happy that my work on the sails might prove helpful to you as well.

Frank: as always (;-)

Went to see how the ship case wooden base is coming along –so far very happy with the look. It should be ready sometime next week. Then need to figure out how to “set” the ship.

============================

Just barely starting the foremast rigging with pins.

Thanks for the likes as well – so appreciated.

Cheers,

5a1073cfd82cb_IMG_8491copy.thumb.jpg.4590649163933f9d4bce7bfcad08fb59.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael--I just caught up with your log.  Your craftsmanship is dazzling!  I've bookmarked it and any time I feel tempted to take a short cut I'm going to look at your build and remind myself of the standards I should be shooting for.  Thanks!

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

Tom: Thanks for your super nice post. Happy to have you on board as well

Regards,

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

really nice Michael  :)    I was looking at the gammoning as I came in here.......couldn't how symmetrical the windings looked.  bound in much the same way,  the assembly takes on a realistic appearance.  your ropes and their termination have a nice quality to them  ;)    wonderful...really shows the time your putting into them.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denis: Thanks I was thinking of posting the technique that seems to work just fine.

It took about 10 or so of these to get what I was hoping for - looking  as they do now. (bow area was a learning area)

These last three are what I like much better. Thanks so much for your nice compliment - always appreciated.

Will, in-fact, post the sequence next week - simple enough ----- Heading out of town for the long weekend. B)

Cheers 

IMG_8529.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Michael, just spent a lovely 30 minutes catching up on your build, your attention ti detail is outstanding

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Looking forward to seeing your rope coil technique, they look so good

nice picture of your deck layout.......super job!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mates,

Kevin, Don, Denis -  super nice thanks

Here is my technique for making the pin rope coils. Each one takes me about 15 or so minutes. Photos go through each step and are in order.

As always thanks so much for the likes and posts.

Regards,

1.thumb.jpg.a585799d2b1244f32cab3667d06dae4d.jpg2.thumb.jpg.de16a8cf43f117327f2dbb2dff737265.jpg3.thumb.jpg.583bdcdfde7b3e28f2b739d03af7eb8a.jpg4.thumb.jpg.984f0e353c5a320ec3d7c3ed5129c456.jpg5.thumb.jpg.2d970433537c9a851fd701d619f66a0f.jpg6.thumb.jpg.e6563d76ebb5596fe53966efffd1a14f.jpg7.thumb.jpg.878cb9aab78cc8181dcc0556bd2365c6.jpg8.thumb.jpg.4f86ddec72ba86b38c7e6496cf0a5148.jpg9.thumb.jpg.4d781c8ea6efbc4aa528ec05fd967a1c.jpg10.thumb.jpg.5a12b27bd202b42ca0a1b71c713982ca.jpg11.thumb.jpg.b2ee848bb5805c341779e5889c2b72f0.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Great idea.

And explained step by step.

thanks Michael

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Great rope coil tutorial!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild