Nereide by MICHELE PADOAN - scala 1/48

Hi everyone, this is another yard I am working on, a new Ancre project that was proposed to me by Mr. D. Berti and my friend Franco Fissore. It is a French frigate, the Nereid, designed and built by Olliver father and son, a first order frigate of 1722. The ship will be built, based on drawings by Jean-Claude Lemineur, in 1/48 scale in pear and cherry wood. The beautiful and rich carvings will be executed in boxwood and then finished with gold patina. Finally, the whole model, as is now my custom, will be treated with judea bitumen to give that lived-in look that has now become my style. In the meantime that I am waiting for the rest of the Nereid plans still in process, I am proceeding with the material I have on hand. The frigate will be armed on one side only, while the other will be left exposed in much the same way as I did for the Commerce de Marseille.

IMG_4634.JPG

IMG_4647.JPG

IMG_4782.JPG

IMG_4610.JPG

IMG_5084.JPG

IMG_5086.JPG

IMG_5087.JPG

IMG_5089.JPG

IMG_5099.JPG

IMG_5092.JPG

IMG_5090.JPG

IMG_5094.JPG

IMG_5071.JPG

excellent work Michele,

I love the lines of these french ships, and your model will be a beauty

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Looking forward to seeing this!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Count me in on following this.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Good morning, I opened the hull from the port side.
The rising fifths have been left whole, while the other double ribs have been opened up at the level of the topsides and half topsides and their respective scales. There is no clear cut of the double ribs as I personally find it unsightly.

IMG_5136.JPG

IMG_5119.JPG

IMG_5127.JPG

IMG_5113.JPG

IMG_5115.JPG

IMG_5129.JPG

IMG_5126.JPG

IMG_5130.JPG

IMG_5132.JPG

amazing work Michele and excellent photographing, are you using the black blanket background technique ? how is the object fixed in position for the poses shown ?

wonderful framework and the warm wood tone is beautiful

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

1 hour ago, Waldemar said:

Che ritmo di lavoro! Lavori da solo? O gestisci un grande team di dipendenti!?  🙂

Hello, the work is already in the avenzamento stage. I started the construction site a year ago. I alternate work on the Nereids with my other two active shipyards, le Commerce de Marseille and the Venetian Vessel. Now little by little I am posting photos of the work already done. 

1 hour ago, Waldemar said:

Puoi mostrare una vista laterale come è sui piani? Potrebbe essere una foto rapida e sporca della proiezione laterale con le porte della pistola mostrate (decorazioni non necessarie). Giusto per vedere la disposizione generale della nave.

The plans are still under development and therefore not public. It is not possible for me to show the drawings because of copyright.

13 minutes ago, Mirabell61 said:

ottimo lavoro Michele e ottima fotografia, stai usando la tecnica dello sfondo della coperta nera? come viene fissato l'oggetto in posizione per le pose mostrate?

quadro meraviglioso e il tono caldo del legno è bellissimo

Nils

Thank you. To hold the model in place I adopt a small wedge on the side not in view.

13 minutes ago, MICHELE PADOAN said:

The plans are still under development and therefore not public. It is not possible for me to show the drawings because of copyright.

Grazie mille per la risposta. Bene, nolens volens, aspetterò pazientemente le fotografie del tuo meraviglioso modello.

Thank you very much for your reply. Well, nolens volens, I will wait patiently for the pictures of your wonderful model.

18 minutes ago, Waldemar said:

Quale nave veneziana? È mostrato da qualche parte? Di che periodo e di che tipo?

It is a reproduction of a model exhibited at the Naval Museum in Venice, a 74-gun vessel, 1780 class. I will also open a topic on this later, below I will put a photo of my model in working progress and my three active shipyards.

IMG_7580.JPG

IMG_7626.JPG

Many thanks for posting these photos.

After a quick browse through my books on the Venetian Navy, I found the following (these particular scans/photos are from a must-have for anyone interested, fantastic modern work – Vascelli e fregate della Serenissima. Navi di linea della Marina veneziana 1652–1797 by Guido Ercole).

And I assume that your model is one of these four 1780 class ships shown below. Please don't forget to open a log on this model too.  🙂

2095635893_003(1440x429).jpg.08f0c478397ca686c10d5d26581270ca.jpg

1800019903_IMG_20220909_111208(1440x1077).jpg.56000715b7829cde21dda06a897ca60d.jpg

And it is very interesting to note that in Venice, as late as the 2nd half of the 18th century, large ships were actually still being built with single frames („ad ordinata unica”), despite a comment above that they should be (or actually were?) built with double-frames („a doppia ordinata”).

Edited by Waldemar

8 hours ago, Waldemar said:

Ed è molto interessante notare che a Venezia, ancora nella seconda metà del 18° secolo, in realtà si costruivano ancora grandi navi con telai singoli (" ad ordinata unica "), nonostante un commento sopra che dovrebbero essere (o effettivamente erano?) costruiti con telai doppi (" a doppia ordinata ").

I will also open the topic on the Venetian Vessel shortly and answer your questions there.

I had another look at the book La Frégate. Marine de France 1650–1850 by Jean Boudriot and Hubert Berti, and have now found 'all' the information on the frigate La Nereïde. The original plans are both extremely detailed and beautiful, and seem to lack only rigging and armament. Even complete drawings of the ship's decorations have survived. Indeed, the source documentation for this frigate is simply a dream.

1 ora fa, Waldemar ha detto:

Questa frenesia ha una forma dello scafogata ha sexy. Se questa fosse la mia build, suppongo che probabilmente smetterei di costruire il modello in questa fase  🙂.

Sono d'accordo con te, ma la cosa che più mi affascina di questa fregata sono le sculture e il balcone di poppa.

Edited by MICHELE PADOAN

I have positioned the hogs. These will be done in two stages, for now I have stopped at first rowlock that stops below the sleeper of the first deck. The second rowlock that continues up to the sleeper of the second deck can only be put in after the serret between the two decks has been placed.

IMG_6878.JPG

IMG_6910.JPG

IMG_6884.JPG

IMG_6885.JPG

IMG_6908.JPG

IMG_6933.JPG

IMG_6893.JPG

IMG_6931.JPG

IMG_6930.JPG

IMG_6920.JPG

And I am curious as to why the forecastle on this ship is so extremely wide at the bow? Unfortunately, just this particular detail can not be derived directly from the original plans of this ship. Is it simply a more or less personal choice of the modern plans designer, J.-C. Lemineur? Perhaps Gérard Delacroix, present on this forum, can answer this?

Edited by Waldemar

Hello,

I know "La Néréïde" very well because I had started a monograph on this ship a few years ago. 
Like all the ships of this period, the bow is wide because it has a reverse side, a feature designed to keep the waves away, to save space on the forecastle and especially to keep the catheads away from the side.
It must be said that the plans of this ship do not exist, especially the vertical sections. The only drawings we have are a longitudinal section, another vertical one in the middle and the drawing of the decorations.  JC Lemineur had to adapt the vertical sections of another ship to make his plans. 

Just found this build log. Very impressive and educational as to the details of construction as compared to other countries' systems.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv