I suspect it would be painted to protect the wood, so any caulking would be covered.  Take a look at the Young America build log by Ed Tosti, it may give you some insight.  Pages 47, 48 and more of the log shows how he did the deck houses, including the tops.    

Allan.

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

19 hours ago, druxey said:

I believe that painted canvas was also used over roofs.

Common practice was to lay tongue and groove planking over beams, lay Irish (flax) felt (similar to a thick tar paper) bedded in white lead bedding compound on top of the planking, and canvas nailed, then shrunk in place with boiling water, which was then painted to produce a watertight covering. (This same method was used for railroad coaches of the period, as well.)

9 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

Common practice was to lay tongue and groove planking over beams, lay Irish (flax) felt (similar to a thick tar paper) bedded in white lead bedding compound on top of the planking, and canvas nailed, then shrunk in place with boiling water, which was then painted to produce a watertight covering. (This same method was used for railroad coaches of the period, as well.)

Thanks for that, have used painted canvas for siding and roofs on canopies and on small sheds, the boiling water I missed, sounds like an improvement. Canvas shrinks when wet without help, so maybe 2 or 3 coats of wet latex would accomplish the shrinking with better penetration for my occasional needs.

2 hours ago, jud said:

Thanks for that, have used painted canvas for siding and roofs on canopies and on small sheds, the boiling water I missed, sounds like an improvement. Canvas shrinks when wet without help, so maybe 2 or 3 coats of wet latex would accomplish the shrinking with better penetration for my occasional needs.

They used raw, non-prestretched canvas, tacked down around the edges over and Irish felt underlayment. They threw hot water on the canvas to get it to stretch tightly over the shape of the roof. Some actually applied the paint over the canvas when it was still damp. I wouldn't recommend using waterbased paint for this purpose. I'd use a solvent based "porch enamel." It's best to use an enamel that chalks when it ages, in order to minimize paint buildup on the canvas. The enamel paint was thinned well to soak into the canvas easily.