Oseberg Viking Ship by Jason Builder - FINISHED - Billing Boats - 1:25

3 hours ago, Jason Builder said:

Guten Tag!

Wee little bit-o-progress.  I custom made the curved thwarts that rise up the the mast step.  At this point I can begin planking the deck.

V63.jpg.b94c0bc622cba4066583ecced3ff8a49.jpg

V62.jpg.fde7c505042d7ed4b644001d39180a63.jpg

Jason,  Your custom thwarts where the 'bulge' is at the approach to the mast step (but flat one about 2/3rds of its length from the outside knees seems a great solution.  The rowing positions (where the wooden boxes/chests to row on) are level with the rest of the deck.  There are photos of the original 'in situ' during excavation   (once a lot of material was removed) that show features like this, as well as photos earlier in the dig with a lot of 'pushing up' from below due to soil compaction over the ages ... that raised many deck boards (and their underlying supports) much higher than their original positions.

This kit is in my stash (as well as the Roar Ede) and so your build is of great interest.  

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

Yes, I believe you're right in doing that. Having all the planks exactly the same width was (from what I've seen) a relatively late idea. Even ships as late as the Mary Rose turn out to have higgledy-piggledy planking.

Beautiful work on those curved thwarts, by the way.

Steven

Johnny and Louie, thanks for the comments!

Not a big bit of progress , but one more row of deck planks done tonight.  Continuing with splitting random planks from a big sheet of 1/16" thick sheet of basswood.

V66.jpg.a35eb555880369f373713dff12bbcb3a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Busy with work and life these days, including Alphorn building which is competing for limited time with model ship building.....but slow progress continues here and there on the deck!

V67.jpg.e5bbd9a06f14227b8a9390f174f1d7c3.jpg

V69.jpg.d14a4ea01b5f6bba9b7e23e2c0886341.jpg

V68.jpg.aab03e1776ee55725c516a5c3746b9be.jpg

Hi Louie,

I’m not an expert in these ships so I am not a good resource to answer the question , but I have looked at what pictures and drawings are available of such Viking ships.  Check out this photo of the Oseberg which to me appears to show a curved thwart at the mast partners and the thwart appears to have a rabbet cut into it to accept deck planks.  So I did something similar in my model.  It would make sense to have a thwart at this location that supported the mast higher up than the deck to add additional sideways strength to the mast partners.   I saw the Oseberg in my youth and if I lived nearby I would be there often looking at the ship for reference!   Maybe others on this site can add more?   Thanks

Jason

587A1EDA-30F1-43AD-8E0C-97E5B949C855.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Bonjour tout les monde!

I am still alive and kick'in and so is my model.   Little time and little progress lately, but rest assured this baby will get done.   Couple more rows of planking done.

V70.jpg.c14ef46019fefc70cd7dc008fbaa54ff.jpg

• 2 months later...

Just joined the fun on your log.  WELL DONE!

I just watched Season 2 Episode 1 of Combat Ships on The History Channel which was about Viking ships.   They get right down to actually making planks without saws and making iron nails as was done in the 9th century.  Well worth the watch for anyone that gets this channel.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Jason,

Just found your log - Excellent work !!- great start - a Viking ship will be my next project - I will follow along as well. 

Regards

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

• 1 month later...

Greetings from Wisconsin!

Had a spell there with very little time in the shipyard but kept making progress bit by bit and now the planking is done.  Solid basswood, random width.

V71.JPG

Goedendag,

After a bunch of custom fitting of many planks, I set to work on some somewhat mindless repetitive work on the 30 oars of the Oseberg.  I used the dowels and blades from the kit.   Cut the shafts to length, cut out the blades, tapered the shaft ends to fit the blades, glued on the blades.   Used a razor to taper the edges of the blades.  Sanded everything smooth.   From what I could find, the hand-handle ends of the oar shafts were simple tapered down to allow a hand to hold fast to the oar, so this is how I made mine.

Have a cheery day!

-Jason

V72.jpg

V73.jpg

V74.jpg

V76.jpg

Dette er hva jeg gjorde i dag:

Tonight, I worked on the steering gear.  I carved these pieces from basswood.   Below are some photos of the Oseberg itself, and of the parts I am making.  More to follow.

IMG_1618.PNG

IMG_1619.PNG

V77.jpg

V78.jpg

V79.jpg

V80.jpg

V81.jpg

V82.jpg

V83.jpg

Thank you everyone for the kind support!  It has been nice to get making progress on this model.   

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Dobry wieczor, przyaciele,

Carved out some time (ha ha pardon the pun) to carve the tiller tonight.  I have set myself the goal of finishing this model this year, and I even have a place for it, so between now and December I must finish it.  Had fun making and fitting the tiller tonight while listening to Rachmaninoff 2.

The tilller-to-rudder connection is a through pinned mortise/tenon.

V87.jpg.0d8a505573c4e814192161e6b87a4876.jpg

V86.jpg.80fae241f0b19d1eb95c37248d4e8e70.jpg

V85.jpg.3635f80476600203b6b12666eb56c09e.jpg

V84.jpg.817332bf543071745b40121e0a0259d6.jpg

Hello Model Ship Building Fellows,

Here are photos of my model as I used a razor knife to remove width from the bow and stern frame/keel, as others have done, to prevent the stem and stern edges from being TOO WIDE as they would be if following the kit.  This was a bit of work, but not too much,

V92.jpg

V93.jpg

The nice laser burned stem and stern are a nice feature of the kit, thanks Billing Boats!   The bow and stern planks are the same in the kit, but for the two stern pieces, the dragon head in the part must be turned into a tail via your carving work!  Below I show some photos of the actual ship.  The dragon head is of-course at the prow and the tail at the stern.  Here are my parts and installation:

V88.jpg.8ced6f14ef9a3033b9ad887a6c2e0e59.jpg

V89.jpg.3c78b7bcd47c3c83364fb4241ef9d632.jpg

V90.thumb.jpg.e1d19748d29bcada124d78065e85ec21.jpg

V91.jpg.a543e00194c72ae02d07128234feece6.jpg

V94.jpg.ca41abf3a5873f8345026e825ab4d487.jpg

You're doing a good job of this. I've seen others that had quite a bit of difficulty, particularly with the upper planking, but you seem to have taken it in your stride. Nice clean work, too.

Steven

Thanks for the encouragement , Steven. I see you’re in Ballarat, I seem to remember visiting a quarry there once on one of my trips to Aus.  Also bought an MSM steam engine kit which I believe used to be made in Melbourne.   Nice part of the world you are in!

jason

Thanks, Jason. We love it here. Beautiful historic city with wonderful buildings dating back to the gold rush. I'm trying to think where that quarry might have been. I can't bring it to mind, but I'm sure there must be quite a few quarries scattered around the place - and it could be at some distance from Ballarat itself, I suppose.

MSM are till going strong according to their website, and yes, they're based in the Melbourne suburb of Montrose https://miniaturesteammodels.com/

Steven

Hello Model Ship Builders!

Couple projects tonight.   1.  Finish attached bow and stern fancy carved trim pieces.  2. cut off the un-needed raised section of planking on the port side in the steering gear area.

In order to have flush installation of these nicely burned trim pieces at the bow and stern, I found that the trim piece and the underlying plank should both be carved and tapered down.

V96.jpg.d05dc531dc210c7aca31047d8b796036.jpg

V95.jpg.8382d5a1e5a6e4a3a01bb7403bb9d2a5.jpg

And here is that piece being glued on:'

V97.jpg.1007dd7f047605c905ad16e90936382a.jpg

Next, the uppermost planks from the kit,  on the starboard and port sides, both have a raised section near the stern that is designed to accommodate the steering gear for the rudder.  These extra parts are only needed on the starboard side.  I cut away this raised section from the port side, as seen in the photos below.

V98.jpg.45d5653f46eb4c31b0740ff6a9dc9e3d.jpg

V99.jpg.75a68ad01d5c10ccfc68c2ae771cd63b.jpg

4 hours ago, Jason Builder said:

In order to have flush installation of these nicely burned trim pieces at the bow and stern, I found that the trim piece and the underlying plank should both be carved and tapered down.

I'm pretty sure other builders of this particular model have encountered the same issue.

You're doing a very nice job on this build. It occurs to me that the real ship would probably have had the carvings painted (perhaps in bright colours which highlighted the different gripping beasts) in contrast with the rest of the ship. It was a royal vessel, after all. Yellow and red ochre were available, and a sort bluish grey from wood ash, as well as a black from lamp black. It might have been really colourful. The shields of the Gokstad ship were painted - every second one was black and the alternating ones were yellow.

Steven

G'day Mates!

I can smell blood in the water on this project, the end is near and I am working now every day after months of working once a month.

Latest progress includes drilling holes for oars (pilot hole followed by final hole diameter using a drill) and installing the blocks for the shield rail.  I made those using a hand-snipper.

V101.jpg.6d55dbc422520cc4bc17b0cc4c43c26c.jpg

V100.jpg.71a279dd56c6a8b81ba11291351d2082.jpg

V102.jpg.dba175dd3ce7447213335ae81a93f7c7.jpg

V103.jpg.99256a3cf5eaf1907b8fee9e7e4f965e.jpg

V104.jpg.991a8bb66766f60fe06613914d6c2bb1.jpg

Aloha e ka poe hana waapa,

Tonight some work in the armory....shield building.   First a note on an interference problem.   I used what I thought was the right wood stock from the kit to make the little blocks above that create the spacing for the shield rail.   Then I tapered down the ends of the shield rail and glued it in place.  I then went to go install my happy little shields only to find that the shields were too thick to fit into the space.  Uf-da.   I wasn't about to rip off the rail so I sanded the shields down slightly and they now fit.  Downside was that in the process of sanding, the little nail holes etched/laser-scribed into the shield faces became actual holes.  I will fill these with a nice darker color wood filler and will wind up OK.  Just be careful to check the thickness of the blocking material vs the shield thickness.  3/8" diameter furniture upholstery tack used for center of shield; I picked a bronze type color, but I think the vikings used iron for these parts; I wanted the bronze color to look better with the stain I will apply so permit me this inaccuracy of metals......the bronze age ended at least 1000years BC and this ship is from 800AD.  But then again the Vikings painted their shields so I am going with that the Vikings on this ship painted the shield centers this color.   Now I have some cleanup and sanding to do on the shield rail and the shields.

V105.JPG.85ec1de1f891371dd97220a3ad53afbf.JPG

V106.JPG.77f7b7e96d79288bee502df0408fb4b2.JPG

V108.JPG.8478e3987ae4954554d52dafe475a94a.JPG

V109.JPG.ef5d31f74956ab0fa1ad8aaa2d988681.JPG

V107.JPG.771aca4412cc02b3b4af079cd13cc2e8.JPG

Edited by Jason Builder