Constructing a Master Build Log

JDillon

Hi All, before I start I would just like to point out that I am a beginner and thus thought this idea would be benificial, feedback from members on here would be welcomed as to whether this would be a good idea or not. I appreciate this may take some time but it could be a work in progress with Admis approval. Also there may be a better member on here that could take the lead.

I would like to compile a list of vessels currently available to buy as of today. It can be listed by manufacturer and broken down into Beginner, intermediate and advanced.

Then with each vessel a log of what amendments where added / changed / removed in detail to improve the kits and replicate the origional vessel. Having to go into each build log is somewhat a daunting task. It would be nice if an experianced builder could then check and amend the log with their profestional opinion.

We could start with the most common ships people build.

For example, I found as a beginner I planked the deck of my Occre Polaris before it was attached to the frame, this made things easier and enabled me to indidually plank rather than attach whole strips and pencil in the joins, having the same grain run in lines. I know its a first build but by doing this I have learnt a new skill for future builds, than if I had attached it as per the instructions.

Also the stealers were to small and straight when fixed to the bow, this required filling and sanding to round out the hull. Tips like painting items before fixture would be helpful. Another example was that (not in the instructions) sand the stern down as when the hull planking is added and sanded down half way it is still just slightly wider than the rudder. Advice like do step C4 before doing step B1 in the instuctions sort of thing. 

I appreciate these are just my first encounters into the hobby but I feel that we have such talented and knowlegable people on this site I thought it would be nice to consolidate such amazing workmaship advice. 

As another example my second build is the Occre HMS Terror, and trawling through Clearway and Keith S build logs for example (amazing and helpful as they are) i have found that in some comments they would do things a little different or would like to make amendments should they do it again. I would like to minimise this by having a general consensus on a build about best amendmants to make so we avoid any regrets. I am sure that in my future builds that i will come accross someone else's build and think, "bugger i wish i had added that" to late to change it now. I think i would never get a build finished if i had to trawl through 20 build logs to see what others had done different or learn what the pitfalls were with that specific build.

Joe

Joe

If it moves Grease it if it doesn't Paint it.....

Current Builds: Occre, Polaris                                                          Shopping List: Vanguard, HMS Sphinx                            

Occre, HMS Terror                                                                            Vanguard, HMS Flirt

Occre, Endurance

Completed Builds: 0

2 hours ago, JDillon said:

lso the stealers were to small and straight when fixed to the bow, this required filling and sanding to round out the hull.

You have brought up an interesting idea that could really help members on their quest for a model kit to purchase.

This is probably just a terminology thing.  Drop strakes are not uncommon at the bow but if stealers are used, they are typically found at the stern.  They are really two different things.  I suspect stealers could be used at the bow if the planks are not spiled or otherwise pre-shaped but that would be highly unusual.   

Looking at your build log (your deck planking looks super, especially for a beginner) there are no pics of the "stealers" that you mention.  Below are photos of contemporary models, two with a drop strake at the bow from RMG Collections and one with a stealer aft from the Rogers Collection at Preble Hall.  The stealer is hard to see in the photo so I outlined it in black.  My bad on the focusing when I took the pic.

Allan

686812385_DropStrake.jpg.7cb502c6ade0730762822cea73eabe72.jpg487270093_Dropstrake2.thumb.jpg.08c1bd43902690d4677457b0bdb5378b.jpg

508974325_StealerA.JPG.d61711f9f7b24c9d44dee950f036ca5a.JPG

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hi Allen thank you for the reply. I have just added my progress pictures of the completed hull with sanding and filler. As you can see by the white filler the drop strakes as per the instructions were to small to get a bend and therefore dipped inwards, hence the filler. The Stealers came out ok, only needed 3 each side, I needed a small one each side on the bottom as I put my first plank to low at the stern. Not at home so cannot post a picture of the instructions to show the dop strakes required. I was tempted to shape each hull plank without using drop stakes but decided to follows the instructions. Lesson learnt.

Joe

Joe

Current Builds: Occre, Polaris                                                          Shopping List: Vanguard, HMS Sphinx                            

Occre, HMS Terror                                                                            Vanguard, HMS Flirt

Occre, Endurance

I know what you mean about it being daunting to read through lots of build logs trying to glean tips and info, it can be overwhelming and even just difficult to keep track of what happened in each log. And so many of us repeat that process individually. 

But I'm struggling to see how a broad guide to a given model would work from a practical sense. For one, there will be lots of different opinions on the "right" way to do things, and who decides which approach is recommended? Yes, there could be a list of options, but that gets even more complicated. Second, it would have to be regularly updated and maintained, and that takes unusual dedication from a volunteer of some kind. Third, it would be huge for anything but small or simple kits. And fourth, it would be absolutely daunting to tackle for more than a few kits.

I once thought it would be a good idea to create a post/thread that tracked all the Viking ship builds out there, so people didn't have to keep searching for them. But even that never came to fruition as I just didn't have the energy or time to tackle it.

I'm not saying you're wrong, or trying to be a downer. Just sharing my own thoughts as I've had similar contemplations.

Thanks Cathead for your reply and i do fully understand its a big undertaking, to be honest i was hoping that someone would reply with "its all ready been done" and here is the link 😂

Although we could stick to the top 10 most common builds? As for what's best, yes i agree everyone will have an opinion. But if for example the Terror, the original ships wheel was 10 spokes, the kit is less so that would be a justified no arguments modification. Its mainly things like this, another example the capstan is too big. maybe just a this is missing or too big or too small and let the builds decide if they want to amend it.

The main thing was just a heads up to say you may want to change or replace this, sort of thing. I think that would save any arguments.

Joe

Joe

Occre, Endurance

Cathead is right.  Any posts on "how-tos" not in a log generally result in a lot of opinions   It would be a massive job to generate such an area and it would be a massive forum area if one looks at the all the kit makers and all different kits that have been made over the decades.  

We had a member start a list of all the kits and makers.... massive project and it was never finished.    See https://modelshipworld.com/topic/4339-announcing-the-model-ship-world-ship-kit-database-project/

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Wishfull thinking on my part i suppose, probably a typical newbie thought after deliberating the replies and agreeing to everyones comments.

Thank you to everyone who commented and helped me to see how impossible an idea like this would be to accomplish 😂

Joe

Occre, Endurance