Vickers Wellington Mk 1a/c by Realworkingsailor - FINISHED - Airfix - 1/72

For my fall hobby project, I’ve decided to go in a completely different direction. I’ve been silently (and in some cases less so) flooding in on many of the amazing model airplane builds around here. Quite frankly, a “little bit” of “fear of missing out” has crept in, so I felt I had to join in. Aircraft are not a usual subject for me, but I have built them in the (now distant) past. I also decided that I would attempt to go beyond just making the model strait out of the box, so I’m looking at purchasing a few aftermarket PE sets (more on that later).

Over the summer I read “The Bombers and The Bombed” by Richard Overy, not an easy read, (a more accurate title might have been “Statistical Analysis of the Bombing Campaign Over Europe 1939-1945”, but I doubt that would have interested anyone beyond university history majors). Suffice it to say, as far as subject matters go, it helped to nudge me in the direction which you will see here below and following.

After looking at the multitude of options for model aircraft available online, I opted for the Vickers Wellington. Partially because I had made a model of one over 20 years ago, and partially for the same reasons that drew me in back then, it’s a pretty interesting airplane.

For a more complete rundown. check here. A remarkable aircraft, it was building using a geodetic frame that gave it incredible strength, at a great savings of weight relative to conventional construction at the time. Production began in 1937 and continued right through the war, with the last Wellington rolling out in October 1945. A whopping 11,461 were built, despite the complexities of the geodetic construction. It was the most numerous British bomber, and the only British bomber to see production through the entirety of the war. Sadly only two complete aircraft have been preserved, neither in flying condition.

Kit overview

As I mentioned before, I had built a model Wellington many years ago (which has subsequently been lost). It was an Airfix kit of a B Mk III, if I remember correctly. This time around I am again going with and Airfix kit, but it is a far cry from the one I remember. The kit completely retooled in 2018 offering the builder a choice of either a B Mk Ia or B Mk Ic. Airfix has also released a B Mk II (with Rolls Royce Merlin engines), as well as the coastal command variant GR Mk VII.

IMG_1867.thumb.JPG.301b140d69d6efb0fcfac9ff018bd7b3.JPG

The Airfix Box Art

The kit includes six sprues molded in grey plastic, as well as one in clear plastic which contains the windows and other “glass” components:

IMG_1868.thumb.JPG.1425bc8eab59fba288e5155ef879ed16.JPG

The fuselage halves

IMG_1869.thumb.JPG.fd0a8278a20991bb38e1df4d9226a678.JPG

The inside

The kit includes an almost completely detailed interior. You can see in the above photo, the interior shows the geodetic framework. That's going to be fun to paint!

IMG_1870.thumb.JPG.f2a9fcdb388faa2984a0b4f2e0678318.JPG

Two sprues hold the wing components as well as the engine fairings and parts of the bomb bay.

IMG_1871.thumb.JPG.11e9ddc090c1182194de1ad5ede934f0.JPG

Up close, the geodetic structure is visibly molded into the wing surfaces, as well as a multitude of other small details (The dog hair is a free aftermarket addition).

IMG_1873.thumb.JPG.e1baffcb3bb0d3513ace0a4e474a44c1.JPG

There are a lots of parts that make up the interior detail, there's a full section for the radio operator and navigator, the flare chute as well as what I think is the toilet. There many options for the modeller to choose from. Some choices are specific to which variant is being built (1a or 1c), others more general (open or closed bomb bay, landing gear down or up).

IMG_1875.thumb.JPG.77785df36f0d1c6ccab48530d459f63a.JPG

Engines, propellors and other various parts

There is virtually no flash, and the parts are all very cleanly molded (no apparent divots or other molding errors as far as I can tell), I expect a minimal of clean up, only the molding gates.

IMG_1877.thumb.JPG.33010f5a544919d081ef9e10664fde7f.JPG

Clear parts

The kit includes three options for the canopy. One version has the side windows open, the other two are very similar, except for a tiny difference the the forward corner lower window, I suspect that one version is for a different model, as there are other extra parts as well as other indications that these molds will be used for other the versions (Mk II and GR VII).

IMG_1879.thumb.JPG.f0168d54e8654c2eca3c88e18b35a2d7.JPGIMG_1880.thumb.JPG.21e3505c65d13b622c87a7a88e026648.JPGIMG_1881.thumb.JPG.9956e15e0f41bcf5c4d4b7c73c0f359f.JPG

A nice partial colour instruction book. The instructions do show which parts are likely not to be visible after construction, and marks them in green, leaving it up to the modeller to include them or not.

IMG_1882.thumb.JPG.75623a65d334b42661d9e075d0d3c913.JPG

There is also a full colour painting guide for the exterior of the aircraft. Both versions are shown (the second version is on the opposite side).

IMG_1883.thumb.JPG.08c0ea4ac94437f1555e0f39a54d0bc1.JPG

The decal sheet, with markings for both Mk 1a and 1c versions, as well as the restored Mk 1a R “Robert” at the Brooklands museum. Apparently, the colours are a bit more vibrant than the WWII version, and the roundels are slightly different.

The Mk 1c version (AA R) was flown by no. 75 Squadron (New Zealand). In July 1941, returning from a raid, the aircraft was attacked by a BF110 night fighter. The attacker was shot down by the tail gunner, but not before managing to start a fire in the starboard wing, near the engine. The pilot (Squadron Leader Reuben Widdowson, a Canadian) ordered the crew to bail out (a wise move, as a fabric covered aircraft won't fly very long with a burning wing). The second pilot, Sgt James Allen Ward had a different idea. He climbed out of the astrodome and by kicking and punching hand and foot holds in the wing and fuselage, managed to make his way out to the fire. By using an engine cover, he successfully extinguished the fire. The aircraft was able to safely return to England (although it crashed into a hedge on landing and had to be written off). For his actions Sgt. Ward was awarded the Victoria Cross. 

As I mentioned earlier, I am planning on investing in some aftermarket parts. I’ve been looking at the offerings from Eduard/Brassin. So far the best price (and availability) online I’ve found is from BNA Model World in Australia. If anyone anywhere has experience ordering from them, please let me know. I noticed an old topic on MSW started by Danny Vadas, that had nothing but good tings to say, but that was 5 years ago, Just curious if anything has changed since then.

I won’t be starting building for some time yet, it’s going to take me some time to acquire the various after market components as well as whatever paints and other materials I will need. I need to do further research, while the instructions are decent, they don’t make any distinctions as to which parts/modifications are needed for which version (other than which fuselage windows need to be blanked out). 

Andy

Edited by realworkingsailor

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

4 hours ago, realworkingsailor said:

So far the best price (and availability) online I’ve found is from BNA Model World in Australia. If anyone anywhere has experience ordering from them, please let me know.

I've used BNA a number of times in the last two years and their service has been very good

Alan

3 hours ago, nzreg said:

Good company to buy from👍

1 hour ago, king derelict said:

I've used BNA a number of times in the last two years and their service has been very good

Alan

Thanks guys, any issues to be aware of when ordering from overseas? (Other than the usual customs “surprises” from my own country).

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

What a great subject  to build,  one of the RAF  finest bombers.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Hi Andy,

I will be following along, I built this kit a couple of years ago. A fine model and no real issues with building it. 
My only comment is that there is loads of internal detail in the kit (basically all the stuff above the bomb bay floor) that is simply not seen when the fuselage is glued together. So depending on how much you like “hidden” details you can skip a lot of it.  (Not sure but I think the instructions mention something to this effect, but can’t remember now.)

6 hours ago, AJohnson said:

Here's the interior of mine, basically Everything behind the cockpit bulkhead is not seen, especially if you do the version with the painted in windows. 🤦‍♂️

But you might be mad and like daft details like me! 😆

Wellington 1 (1).jpg

Wellington 1 (2).jpg

Wellington 1 (3).jpg

That looks really nice! I’m planning on going semi-mad-daft with respect to the details, regardless whether or not they will be visible. 😁

I’m also thinking of bending the rules slightly. I had heard of story of Sgt. Ward a long time ago, and knowing there was a Canadian connection kinda sealed the deal, so I’ll be doing the 1c version. Although, it’s the version with the blanked out windows, I may leave them clear nonetheless.

In the Wikipedia article on Ward, there’s a photo of his plane (you can see where he punched through the skin):

785px-Vickers_Wellington_-_Royal_Air_For

But also, it looks as if the windows were simply painted or otherwise blanked over sometime after the aircraft entered service. To my mind, it is possible that the plane left the factory with the windows clear.

I’ve also located a great photo essay from the bomber command museum in Canada: 

https://www.bombercommandmuseumarchives.ca/aircraftphotoessays/aircraft_photoessay_wellington.pdf

There are precious few captions, but it shows that even among identifiable variants, there was a variety of different arrangements. For example if you go through and look for the Mk II variant (easy to tell because it’s the only version with Merlin inline engines), there are some aircraft with no side windows, others with only the long over wing windows, some have only the triangular waist window, and yet others have both. 

I think that, unless you’re planning to model a specific aircraft, on a specific date, at a specific time, at an exact location, there’s enough historical leeway (as far as Wellingtons go), that some liberties can be taken without running the risk of thumbing your nose at history. Besides, I didn’t really fancy the idea of punching little holes all over my model anyway 😁.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

1 minute ago, realworkingsailor said:

That looks really nice! I’m planning on going semi-mad-daft with respect to the details, regardless whether or not they will be visible. 😁

I’m also thinking of bending the rules slightly. I had heard of story of Sgt. Ward a long time ago, and knowing there was a Canadian connection kinda sealed the deal, so I’ll be doing the 1c version. Although, it’s the version with the blanked out windows, I may leave them clear nonetheless.

In the Wikipedia article on Ward, there’s a photo of his plane (you can see where he punched through the skin):

785px-Vickers_Wellington_-_Royal_Air_For

But also, it looks as if the windows were simply painted or otherwise blanked over sometime after the aircraft entered service. To my mind, it is possible that the plane left the factory with the windows clear.

I’ve also located a great photo essay from the bomber command museum in Canada: 

https://www.bombercommandmuseumarchives.ca/aircraftphotoessays/aircraft_photoessay_wellington.pdf

There are precious few captions, but it shows that even among identifiable variants, there was a variety of different arrangements. For example if you go through and look for the Mk II variant (easy to tell because it’s the only version with Merlin inline engines), there are some aircraft with no side windows, others with only the long over wing windows, some have only the triangular waist window, and yet others have both. 

I think that, unless you’re planning to model a specific aircraft, on a specific date, at a specific time, at an exact location, there’s enough historical leeway (as far as Wellingtons go), that some liberties can be taken without running the risk of thumbing your nose at history. Besides, I didn’t really fancy the idea of punching little holes all over my model anyway 😁.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Glad to see there are more "Detail" mad folk out there! 😁

You are right about the windows they were factory fitted and later painted out or replaced with possibly solid panels; in later versions being omitted completely.  I think the advantages of seeing out the windows was offset by how well they reflected searchlights / Moonlight! 😨

Regarding the particular "Wimpey" above, where Sgt. Ward went out along the wing to put the fire out, then if you look closely the two forward most window panels are still clear.  It is hard to discern initially but if you look closely you can see the alloy geodesic structure through the window, and the surface of those two panels has a slight reflective sheen the ones to the rear don't.  So you can have a bit of both if you want!  These are opposite the Navigators and Wireless op stations, so they might still have been considered it useful for those two to have a view so they could see the engines/wings.  The "painted" out ones look to me more like they have been replaced by a different material (thin panels (maybe ply?) as they don't follow the same profile as the front two.  But at 1/72 scale I think painting out the clear parts will be fine! 👍

As you say it is really hard to pin an exact look to an individual air-frame unless there are stacks of photos in "walk around" fashion on a particular day.

9 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

Also this image here from the ground of the damage also shows the front two windows as "shiny" compared to the rest.

Sgt. James Allen Ward, V.C. – new pictures of Wellington Mk.Ic L.7818 AA-R | 75(nz)squadron (wordpress.com)

I won't put up the image as it has copyright. of 75(NZ) squadron.

That’s awesome!  Amazing how much apparent damage that airplane sustained, but thankfully the structural damage was really minimal, and, through heroic efforts, was capable of continued flight. I have a feeling that a Wellington could fly as long as the wings and flight surfaces had enough cavas to function, the rest of the plane could have been nothing but bare frame!

I am thinking of modelling my version in a more “as delivered” set up, with the windows still clear. Long term I may make it into a bit of a diorama, and I’ll place some black panels on the ground waiting to be fitted!

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Here's an interesting photo I found on the net  showing the crew and entrance ladder.

OC.

Wellington_Mk_II.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

14 hours ago, realworkingsailor said:

Thanks guys, any issues to be aware of when ordering from overseas? (Other than the usual customs “surprises” from my own country).

Outside of Australia can take up to two months to reach the US, they are a very reliable company....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

7 hours ago, Egilman said:

Outside of Australia can take up to two months to reach the US, they are a very reliable company....

So other than travel time, nothing to really worry about. Thanks EG! Between here and some cursory searching online, there’s almost nothing but positive reviews of BNA, I feel a lot more confident, and I’ll be ordering from them shortly. 

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

8 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Here's an interesting photo I found on the net  showing the crew and entrance ladder.

OC.

Wellington_Mk_II.jpg

Great picture!

That’s a Mk II (you can tell by the Merlin engines). If I’m not mistaken, they were built concurrently with the Mk Ia/c variants, so they share many of the same fuselage features (windows, turrets, etc).

Have you had a chance to go through that photo essay I posted earlier? I could easily spend hours going through it with a magnifying glass hunting  for details!

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

My late farther  used to work on them  along with  Spits, Hurricane's,  Lancs, Short Strirlings.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Small update. I placed my order for the aftermarket PE and detail sets from BNA Model World. Shipping was not as dire as I had anticipated ($15), estimated travel time of 10 to 20 business days, still not crazy. Nice that all prices where automatically converted for me to Canadian dollars. Took a lot of guess work out of the equation, although the Loonie usually favours the Aussie dollar by about 10%. 

I fully expected a slow process to accumulate the required ancillaries. Next up is getting the remaining paints that I will need. Some colours I've managed to substitute from stock I have on hand (from colours that match very closely to the Humbrol colours specified by Airfix), so it's really only a couple of specific colours that I will need. 

In the interim, some vintage footage (no sound):

(Also happens to be #75 (NZ) Squadron)

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

1 hour ago, Jim Lad said:

An interesting build for me, Andy. One of my uncles was a navigator in 'Wimpies' with the RAF.  He was killed in action on a bombing raid over Italy.

John

Hi John, I’m glad I’ve caught your interest. After @Old Collingwood’s post above, and now yours, it seems like a good chance there might be more MSW members with a connection to this aircraft. I truly hope my modelling skills can live up to those legacies.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

I can also add a direct interest in the build. My father was 2nd pilot in a Mk II , shot down over le Havre on his second time out and spent the rest of the war in Stalag VIIIB.

Rick

On 9/27/2022 at 11:13 PM, Rick01 said:

I can also add a direct interest in the build. My father was 2nd pilot in a Mk II , shot down over le Havre on his second time out and spent the rest of the war in Stalag VIIIB.

Rick

https://uk.airfix.com/products/vickers-wellington-mkii-a08021

Just saying’, is all…

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

6 hours ago, realworkingsailor said:

Thanks Andy - I have seen it but my skills are just not good enough to do it justice I'm afraid. 

These are two of the exits when told to bail out.

This one is a kick out panel on the side of the aircraft (just below the roundel position). It would have been a bitch to get throufh when wearing full flying gear plus parachute.

221580239_DSCF3978(2).thumb.JPG.4d397c31f25d7afbfb60851e513e1030.JPG... and this was also kick out after lifting the duck boards, although not all the Mk I/II series had the blank for a belly gun position.

621040532_DSCF4005(2).thumb.JPG.20f69f145f54ebde3acc37385eefa36f.JPGThis shot does give a fair representation of the colour of the framing.

Rick

That seems to have been a running issue with many bomber designs, bailing out was a bit of an afterthought. If I read correctly, only the Halifax had one halfway decent exit.

I’ve seen pictures of the belly turret:  

https://www.bombercommandmuseumarchives.ca/aircraftphotoessays/aircraft_photoessay_whitley.pdf  

Scroll through to pg 9. I can’t imagine hanging out in what looks like a trash can, let alone getting shot at trying to shoot back.

I think the experiences with the Whitley proved that the design left a lot to be desired, and it was never widely adapted elsewhere.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Another interesting propaganda film to help pass the time until my parts arrive from the far side of the world. This one is from 1943:

Not quite as cheesy as the last one…

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Another one for good measure:

A couple of old film reels, one showing some training torpedo operations. The other gives an explanation of the Wellingtons that we’re fitted with the “Directional Wireless Installation” (DWI). A code name for the large electro-magnetic hoop used to detonate magnetic sea mines.

Although these specialty variants were never produced in large numbers, it all shows the versatility of this aircraft in a number of different roles.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

22 hours ago, realworkingsailor said:

Another one for good measure:

A couple of old film reels, one showing some training torpedo operations. The other gives an explanation of the Wellingtons that we’re fitted with the “Directional Wireless Installation” (DWI). A code name for the large electro-magnetic hoop used to detonate magnetic sea mines.

Although these specialty variants were never produced in large numbers, it all shows the versatility of this aircraft in a number of different roles.

Andy

I have toyed with the idea of doing a DWI Wellington conversion, "Aerocraft" do a 1/72 conversion set (£18.00), it would make interesting model and something different to look at on the shelf!

1 hour ago, AJohnson said:

I have toyed with the idea of doing a DWI Wellington conversion, "Aerocraft" do a 1/72 conversion set (£18.00), it would make interesting model and something different to look at on the shelf!

I noticed that conversion kit, along with all the other aftermarket products available, listed on Scalemates. For sure that would be an eye catching model!

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Found another interesting film:

This is turning out to be a particularly fruitful rabbit hole to dive down, as there seems to be a number of vintage films posted on YouTube featuring Wellington bombers (accompanied by appropriately  fraffly accented narrators 😜).

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy