Vickers Wellington Mk 1a/c by Realworkingsailor - FINISHED - Airfix - 1/72

Well, a bit of a surprise this morning. I received an email notification from Australia Post saying my package had landed in Canada, and it looks like it even cleared customs. Hooray… I… uh… oh wait… it’s in Vancouver…. The other side of the country… well…. Hmm…. I am now at the mercy of Canada Post…. 🙄

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

8 minutes ago, realworkingsailor said:

I am now at the mercy of Canada Post…. 🙄

At least it's not United Parcel Smashers or US Pony Express. 😁😁😁 

2 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

At least it's not United Parcel Smashers

Just so everyone knows, UPS is pronounced "OOPS" in the United States... 

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

The joke of all this, now that I finally have a tracking number, is resisting the urge to check every five minutes…

“Has it gone anywhere yet? Where is it now? How about now? Now? Why isn’t it moving? Augh!” 🤪

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

As far as I know, the Wellington, as well as all other WWII British warplanes, were armed with .303 machineguns while German warplanes were shooting at them with 20mm cannons.  The M2 .50 MG was nearly ubiquitous on US warplanes.  With Lend-Lease and US production behind them, why did the British stick with the .303 MG?  

8 minutes ago, Charles Green said:

As far as I know, the Wellington, as well as all other WWII British warplanes, were armed with .303 machineguns while German warplanes were shooting at them with 20mm cannons.  The M2 .50 MG was nearly ubiquitous on US warplanes.  With Lend-Lease and US production behind them, why did the British stick with the .303 MG?  

It was largely based on standardization. Every British infantry rifle (Lee Enfield) and machine gun (Browning, Vickers, Lewis, Bren) were all .303. British manufacturing had only to supply one type of round that could be sent anywhere it was needed, no need for the extra logistical issues such as supply asymmetry (an excess production of one type of round and a shortage of another). 

Even with Lend-Lease most American industries (and the US Government) could see that war was coming and production capacity would also be needed for domestic supply. Lend-Lease was only signed into law in March 1941, barely nine months later the US became fully involved in WW2.

In 1941, British and Commonwealth units were fare flung across the world in places like India, the Middle East, North Africa, Singapore, Burma, Hong Kong Southern Europe, etc. Trying to re-equip with different caliber weapons would have been a logistical nightmare, the results would have been piecemeal at best.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

6 hours ago, realworkingsailor said:

Well, a bit of a surprise this morning. I received an email notification from Australia Post saying my package had landed in Canada, and it looks like it even cleared customs. Hooray… I… uh… oh wait… it’s in Vancouver…. The other side of the country… well…. Hmm…. I am now at the mercy of Canada Post…. 🙄

Andy

Just so long as they aren't going to nail you with "brokerage fees" or whatever. 😬

8 minutes ago, Ian_Grant said:

Just so long as they aren't going to nail you with "brokerage fees" or whatever. 😬

That’s typically a dirty UPS trick (not sure about other couriers). I think with most international postal services, it winds up going through the regular customs service at the airport. I’m expecting to pay a little bit in sales tax, though. 

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Small update: according to Canada Post my package has crossed the country and is now in the same province as me. The alleged expected delivery day is tomorrow. It almost feels like Christmas……

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

I placed an order with Scale Hobbyist on 10/12, they shipped it out on 10/13 via UPS. UPS picked the package up in Nashua NH, transported it to Bristol RI, then to East Syracuse NY, then to Kingston NY to deliver to me.  It traveled approximately 606 land miles to reach me. A car leaving Nashua NH would only need to drive 215 miles in 3 hours 45 minutes to reach me.  UPS could have shipped it thru Albany NY a more direct route. But it did arrive in 2 days time on Saturday 10/15. Don't know how it was transported from Bristol RI to East Syracuse NY (air or road) but they passed right by me enroute to Syracuse.  

Don't  feel bad Andy ! 

A couple of years ago I’d ordered some items from a seed company in Manitoba (vegetable seeds). The shipment got as far as the local post office and never moved again. 
After an appropriate amount of time (about two weeks after the “expected delivery date), I contacted the seed company, they were really good about it and I was refunded my purchase. But ever since then I’ve been paranoid about Canada Post….

This is one of the few times I’ve been able to follow a package via a different postal service (I can track on either Australia Post or Canada Post), and I must say that Australia is much more open about the various stages. Lots of details like when the package was booked to fly, what time the plane left, what time it arrived and departed the various depots etc.

E99D2435-1344-4A7E-8E51-C3AA6D4BA6FA.thumb.png.32e32123c09b9a3e721999fc1d9d4c53.png

With Canada Post it’s just “item arrived at facility” “item processed” then four days of nothing followed by “item processed” at a different facility.

D6EB1A24-8145-4BFC-B22F-75588DDF45B8.thumb.png.37d9ba1dc7b7bdf0dbfe161eb26cfff0.png

Big difference. (BTW, I do understand the seven day delay in Melbourne waiting for a flight).

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Andy, seems Canada Post, UPS, and FedEx all use the same tracking software, I get those same kind of updates here, except here they mark it as "in transit" .

On 10/13/2022 at 2:01 PM, Charles Green said:

To further my previous point, and provide you with a far more detailed answer:

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Interesting video.   Good points on the tooling up, ammo loadout, etc. which makes sense.   Other countries ran into similar issues as did Germany later in the war when they were basically stuck with what they had.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

10 hours ago, realworkingsailor said:

This is one of the few times I’ve been able to follow a package via a different postal service

There is a service that claims to track any mail service worldwide....

The guy who wrote is calls it "Parcels"  And it works....

Linkage...

I like it... it accurate, and has never failed me yet, (8 months) I've tracked Australia, China, (both chinas) Japan, Italy, Ukraine, Russia, Poland, Germany Brazil & South Africa with is as a sample...

Check it out...  I understand it can track eBay purchases as well...

Much better than the government services, when USPS is down Parcels can still track...

EG

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

10 hours ago, realworkingsailor said:

To further my previous point, and provide you with a far more detailed answer:

Good, mostly fair, (a bit biased to the British viewpoint) could have used a bit more research... Particularly on the Browning A/N-M2/M3 .50 cal... (aircraft gun) the basic A/N-M2 .50 (pdf) had an adjustable rate of fire, nominally the gun as designed fired at 750- 850 rpm.... In infantry use (M-2HB or Ma Duece as it was called) was derated to 550 rpm... (controllability was the issue for the infantry) as a flexible mounted gun in aircraft it fired at 750 rpm, in fixed mounts, (wings and turrets) it fired at 850... (1200 rpm in the M3 version)  (depending on the aircraft, Yes, they replaced a LOT of barrels, sometimes every day) This is why there are dozens and dozens of pic all over the net showing wing gun maintenance....

I can understand the ideal some 80 years after the fact justifying the decisions made at the start/during WWII, but one must remember, most of this is speculation hiding within a plethora of disparate facts linked together to make an argument, not an explanation as to why, more as a justification....

The simple answer, they used what they had.... there were attempts to install .50 cals into British aircraft, it wasn't the weight, rate of fire or quantity of ammo that caused the decision to not go with the .50... If those were the main reasons like the commentator claims, why go to the 20mm, which all British aircraft eventually did, prior to the wars end, 4 times heavier, half the rate of fire and 1/4ths the ammo????

The British decided to pursue the benefits of the 20mm over the .50 cal the main reason was damage capability, the 20 fired armor piercing exploding rounds, the .50, although capable of penetrating most A/C armor, was still a solid slug punching holes hoping to break something... (or the incendiaries catching something on fire) That was the main reason the British didn't adopt the Browning .50 cal... The USAAF position was that it was more than adequate as they had decided on in 1936... (and saw no reason to change even though they knew that the 20mm was the superior weapon) 

1st proof? the Luftwaffe adding 20mm guns to it's aircraft armament in 1936...

2nd proof? the Japanese adding them to their aircraft in 1938...

3rd proof? the Russians adding them in 1940 over their own very reliable 12.7mm dhsk... (russian .50 cal)

4th proof of this pudding? eventually the USAF had to adopt the 20mm... As aircraft became more powerful and faster the .50 cal became less and less effective in an air to air role... Took to '53 for the USAF to come to the conclusion the RAF came to in '41 the Luftwaffe came to in '36.... The ideal was combat tested in Korea on the F-86F gunval project.... (replacing 6 .50's for 4 20mm cannons, it was very effective except for reliability which was eventually fixed)

Just the simple facts.... I generally don't use podcasts or youtube videos in investigating why they did something, too untrustworthy especially 8 decades after the fact... The commentator is avoiding the real issue and claiming that the RAF leaders who made such decisions were being shortsighted or just plain stupid to the point of incompetency... Same kind of argument they use when calling the M4 Sherman tank a deathtrap on the battlefield... exploring the actual history tells a much different tale fortunately...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

Moving on...

It's Here!

It's Here!!

It's Here!!!

(Even better, I didn't get charged any duty! YAY!)

So what did the mailman bring?

First off, a tip of the hat to BNA Model World, everything arrived well packaged and in great condition, and definitely within the posted timeframe (14 business days, out of the estimated 10 to 20). About the only (very minor) issue was that I didn't get a tracking number until the items landed in my own country, but otherwise service was excellent.

Now back to the box!

First up, a sizeable selection of PE from Eduard:

IMG_1884.thumb.JPG.a156afb6dc7b0c65adaf541c26176371.JPG

Starting with the bomb bay and bomb bay doors.

IMG_1885.thumb.JPG.cf84cd98156f644eedfe113c8df2db8e.JPG

Next up, seatbelts and cockpit gauges, as well as radio and other instrument panels. Pre coloured too! (Neato!)

fullsizeoutput_e05.thumb.jpeg.94846804e4b24f07b3995289952f516b.jpeg

Some more internal and external details like landing gear doors, throttle leavers, break lines and the like. This set is actually for the MK II kit, as the Mk Ia/Ic was not available, but aside from a few extra details specific to the Mk II Merlin Engines, the rest is identical to the Mk I.

IMG_1893.thumb.JPG.35918645b927bd694e37956ceb850293.JPG

The last bits of details from Eduard, a three piece kit that includes resin wheels (with the "Dunlop" tire branding), some more bombs, and upgraded engines. I am really looking forward to the engines, they're considerably more detailed than the Airfix offerings (and a good reason to leave off a panel or two to show them off, maybe add a maintenance scaffold).

Finally, the last item:

fullsizeoutput_e06.thumb.jpeg.b4ea6b661e59db0e119803b93af0b99e.jpeg

A masking set from Montex. I veered away from Eduard and other options, as Montex offered masks for the little bomb bay windows, where the others didn't.

I should mention, there is one more PE set made by Eduard for this kit, the landing flaps, but I decided not to order this set. 

I need to order some paint in the coming days, before I can begin building, but luckily I can source that locally (within my own province), so that shouldn't take too long.

Let the fun begin!

Andy

Edited by realworkingsailor

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

9 minutes ago, CDW said:

That is quite an elaborate bomb bay. The PE set will help do it justice for sure. IMO, masks are a must for a model like this as cutting them yourself is so time consuming and definitely not a fun activity. 
Looking forward to watching your progress with all this.

Thanks for joining in the fun!

The Airfix rendering of the bomb bay is done well enough for plastic, in 1:72, but when I looked at a few different models (like the Avro Lancaster, or the HP Hampton), there was simply no matching the Wellington in terms of complexity, so I absolutely had to go for the upgrade.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Andy, I'm in this one, too. Lots of bling showed up today for you. Happy to follow.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

And, we're off!

A small marathon of Eduard origami has begun. I figured I could start with some of the bomb bay details, as they will all have to painted the same colour anyway. There are these tiny box structures with perforated plates bases (tops?) that sit below the bomb bay walkway. Not sure of their prototype purpose, but this is step one. 

A view of the prototype can be seen here. The boxes are missing, but the perforated base plates can bee seen.

IMG_1894.thumb.JPG.b0cf1497f3285e8d4ed811106f984768.JPG

Here's where things stand so far. There are four different types, although the last two only differ in the pattern of the perforations, the box structures are the same. Haven't quite got to folding them yet. There's a limit to how much tiny PE one can fold in a single setting.

IMG_1896.thumb.JPG.18be1242c622c3ff2ee9dd39570e8c3d.JPG

A rough idea of the layout under the bomb bay walkway. Everything's just sitting there, dry fit, for the time being. The two remaining perforated base plates are supposed to sit along the centre line between the other larger perforated base plates. A small frustration with Eduard, though, the instructional drawing is isometric, and the depiction of the basket weave framing is only rudimentary, so there's no way to really accurately locate the position of the base plates. I guess close will have to be good enough.

IMG_1898.thumb.JPG.3b34e485d703bab43bff7ff8bef686ac.JPG

While the base plates just require bending a flange around the perimeter, the boxes are a bit more complex. Kind of like a miniature hip-roofed bungalow with a vertical flange along the roof peak. (That's a 1/2" grid on my cutting mat to give some idea of scale). I've gotten away with crunching only one so far, thankfully the brass seems reasonably soft, and the piece has since made a full recovery (currently resting comfortably in a sealed Tupperware container alongside close friends and family).

It's nice to be back to building small fiddly things again.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Another day of work on the bomb bay. 

I think I've got the plates in about as close to the correct position (per the instructions) as I can get. I found that by making up one of the longitudinal bomb beams, and carefully studying the drawings, I could mark the locations for plates and make sure that they are not going to interfere with some of the other details on the bomb beam (there's all kinds of winch brackets and bomb hangers and other sticky-outy pieces yet to come.

IMG_1899.thumb.JPG.cb98cc71d6e1e826295934e2fa57b9fa.JPG

I could then attach the transverse end pieces of the bomb bay. This is a little out of order from the instructions, which have you assembling some of the cabin bulkheads first, but for ease of painting and detailing, it is necessary to do things in a different order. There was a decent template in the Airfix instructions to ensure the end pieces are glues at the correct angle, and double checking with a fuselage half confirmed everything will fit when the time comes.

As you can see above, on the left (aft) end the transverse frame was moulded in clear plastic. This is due to two windows that are located in this piece, and have to be masked off.

IMG_1900.thumb.JPG.b54b147057aee265cdf6d630e9a0ded9.JPG

Strongly recommend putting the masks on before assembly. While small, with careful manipulation using a dental pick, they can be positioned. The bomb bay side weren't too bad, as they're both one piece, but the other side was a challenge....tiny masking pieces. Very glad I didn't have to make those myself. Strongly recommend anyone else contemplating this kit to get the Montex masking set, for no other reason than these windows are included.

IMG_1901.thumb.JPG.e227fd980dcab1e5d94568aa3f704f3f.JPG

To give you some idea how tiny these things are! Hopefully they work, I can only say that I tried my utmost, I may first hit it with a shot of Dulcote to try to seal them before painting. I wanted to get a bit further by mounting the bomb beams, but it turns out, I would be unable to remove the mask(s) if they were installed (that would be a bit of an oops!). Looks like they will have to be assembled separately and installed after painting. 

IMG_1902.thumb.JPG.fdf056e795644ac0ea3cdec64c8f7ecb.JPG

Hmm.... Avery Labels...... who knew?

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Thanks for all the likes. The beautiful we had weather this past weekend didn't help to much as far as making build progress. Had to get outside and enjoy the sunshine and autumn leaves. Sorry to say, I've got nothing that looks anything like an airplane yet. I am still waiting on my shipment of paints in order to begin more major assembly. In the interim I've been busy working away at the PE bomb bay details. Lot's of small parts, but the assembly is fairly straight forward. There are two longitudinal bomb beams, and care must be taken as the bomb hangar set ups are not symmetrical, pay very close attention to the instructions, and build only one at a time to reduce the chances of making an error. I have completed one side already, and just for comparison, I've included the kit piece.

IMG_1903.thumb.JPG.42dfd0f2e41bab8cf0c945ef4786533b.JPG

The bomb bay doors will be added much later in the construction, but there's no arguing with the fine details in the PE replacement part, right down to the rivets.

IMG_1904.thumb.JPG.605d548b112e329df4be30d50a8ac52d.JPG

Even the verticals have little lightening holes, as can be seen in the prototype here. Not sure I won't to try and replicate that mass of electrical wiring, and other cabling though... maybe in a larger scale.....

Hopefully soon my paint will arrive and I can get on with really building. Until then, I've got another day or so of fiddling with tiny PE parts. I've found there's a psychological limit as to how long one can remain seated in one place folding and manipulating minute parts. Usually when I find myself holding conversations with a particularly stubborn piece, it's time to step away for a bit and restore some of my sanity.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Good choice. One can only stare are these fine parts so long. I built some N scale structures for a diorama and doing laser cut double hung windows was mind-numbing for the several houses I built. After 20 minutes or so, I had to get up, walk around and then pull out an HO kit to work on. Good lighting and optical magnification help, too.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

In addition to the normal room light fixtures (and a great, big, huge, south-facing picture window), I have a handy dimmable halogen “reading” light, as well as a banker’s light. The reading light is an excellent spot light, and the banker’s light fills in the shadows from behind.

F9D4B23C-2A05-40C4-BA72-A2A28CA7D76D.thumb.jpeg.87ae2390e025f0790ab47732fd1e1f99.jpeg

As for a soundtrack, sometimes the TV is on behind me tuned to something mindless (which is pretty much anything and everything that’s on these days), or my stereo. And then every so often, there’s the dog to remind me when it’s snack or walkie time (usually both)…

Still need to work on better magnification, my progressives don’t quite deliver as expected! 🤪🤓

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

An Optivisor is my magnifier of choice. Looks like you have great lighting for your workspace. 👍

One question: do you cut your PE on that nice mat or do you have a harder cutting board. The brass deforms under the cutting tool and at the scales we play in, extra bends are annoying. I have a piece of marble, but I've also used tiles.

Ken