48th Scale imperial rulers. Where?

Go to solution Solved by iMustBeCrazy,

Morning All,

I am in Australia. I have searched for 48th scale imperial rulers with no luck. I have bought two so far but whilst they both have 1:1 imperial scales, they both have the 48th scale reading metric as in the attached pic.
I don't want to keep importing this sort of mistake.
is anyone familiar with somewhere that does have this scale ruler?

20220927_161937.jpg

Regards

John

Current builds:  Model Shipways 3 Kit Combo for Beginners. 1/48th HMS Echo Cross Section by Admiralty models.
Pending Builds: Victory Models HMS Pegasus and HMS Vanguard

G'day John, best I can offer is that I posted a PDF with some scale rules I worked up in CAD. It prints to scale on my laser printer but you may have to make some adjustments when printing.

After printing I just put Scotch Magic tape each side then trim to size.

LINK

Craig.

I do know, that I don't know, a whole lot more, than I do know.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Completed....: 1:16 16' Cutter Scratch build.

Discussion....: Bounty Boats Facts

4 minutes ago, iMustBeCrazy said:

G'day John, best I can offer is that I posted a PDF with some scale rules I worked up in CAD. It prints to scale on my laser printer but you may have to make some adjustments when printing.

After printing I just put Scotch Magic tape each side then trim to size.

LINK

Thank you for that. I shall try that. 🙂

Regards

John

Current builds:  Model Shipways 3 Kit Combo for Beginners. 1/48th HMS Echo Cross Section by Admiralty models.

Look for some drafting scale rules on eBay. They come in all scales and "quarter-inch" is pretty common. In the U.S., triangular scales as pictured above commonly have a "quarter-inch" scale on one side. I've never seen one here with a combination of Imperial and Metric, although some engineer's scales (as opposed to architects' scales) will have inches divided into tenth's.

Alternately, 1:48 scale is equivalent to "O" gauge model railroad scale. You should be able to find a 1:48 scale rule offered for sale on a model railroading website.

See also: Triangular Scale Ruler for 1/12, 1/24, /1/32, 1/35, 1/48, 1/72 (L: 17cm) | eBay

• Solution
2 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

Alternately, 1:48 scale is equivalent to "O" gauge model railroad scale

The Excel 55777 fits the bill but for most of it's length it's resolution is 3 inches.

2 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

See also:

That one seems to be Metric only, the only one I can be sure of is the Tankraft Imperial Pro Modeler Scale Ruler. @John Murray

Craig.

I do know, that I don't know, a whole lot more, than I do know.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Completed....: 1:16 16' Cutter Scratch build.

Discussion....: Bounty Boats Facts

Here's a PDF file of rulers in various scales and are not metric.   I print, verify that it matches a standard ruler and then cut out the one I want and glue it to a slab of wood.  After rechecking that there's deformation, I trim the now wooden ruler to size.

ImperialScales.pdf

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Curious about the accuracy of my HP Envy printer, printed the attachment and was surprised the print to be dead on for all scales without 

any adjustment. The pdf could be used as a calibration monitoring means for a printer. Also convenient comparison between the various

scales.

As an alternate suggestion, print it out on a suitable transparent media and protect the printed surface. Much easier to take dimensions

off a drawing using a transparent scale.    Now where do I save this file,?

Thank you Mark

Bridgman Bob

Bob, I have a folder in my model ship area on my PC HDD.   I keep files of all sorts there.   The HP Envy is pretty good printer all things considered though I wish they still made a printer (at a reasonable cost) for 11X17 paper.   The accuracy is come a long way on printers.  They used have a forced change such that they would never print exactly at 100% to stop counterfeiting.  But that went away when they started using the special paper with the embed strip in it.  

I suggest, print it on your suitable clear media then spray it with a clear fixative.  You'll have to do some research on which works best as I"m not sure what's best.  Check with a local stationary shop as they can point you to clear media and fixative for the ink jet type printers.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

USA tool maker, Starrett, makes steel rules graduated in 1/48 inch.  Six-inch-long, part # C601-6; 12-inch-long, part # C601-12.  Front and back, top and bottom of the rule make for four graduated edges.  One edge is graduated in 12ths, 24ths and 48ths.  The others give measurements in 10ths, 20ths, 50ths and 100ths; 16ths, 32nds and 64ths and lastly, 14ths and 28ths.  They will be very well made and surprisingly expensive.    

2 hours ago, bridgman said:

Much easier to take dimensions

off a drawing using a transparent scale. 

You'd get your hand slapped for doing that in an old-school apprentice training program. In professional practice, measurements are never lifted from the drawomgs. (Many plans bear the notation, "Do not measure from drawings.") The distance notation on the plan is taken off an accurate rule with dividers and transferred to the workpiece using dividers. Even in modeling practice where one might be tempted to "cheat," with 1;1 plans, the better practice is to use dividers to take the distance from a plan, rather than using a rule. This insures accuracy. With a sharp eye and a good rule, measurement can be laid out far more accurately than by measuring from the plans with a rule. (Which is why good machinists' rules and dividers aren't cheap.)

23 hours ago, John Murray said:

Morning All,

I am in Australia. I have searched for 48th scale imperial rulers with no luck. I have bought two so far but whilst they both have 1:1 imperial scales, they both have the 48th scale reading metric as in the attached pic.
I don't want to keep importing this sort of mistake.
is anyone familiar with somewhere that does have this scale 

Hi John,

I too am in Aus and I happen to have a 12 inch three-sided Imperial rule that includes 1:48. I no longer need this so if you pm me your address I'll send it to you.

Cheers

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

AL's Endeavour,  Corel's BellonaAmati's Xebec,  Billing's Roar Ege, Panart's Armed Launch

Ships' Boats - Vanguard 1:64 and Master Korabel 1:72

Alexander Arbuthnot,  Christiaan Brunings,  Pevenseall by World of Paperships

HMS Pegasus by Victory

Captain John Smith's Shallop by Pavel Nitikin

Rumpler "Taube" 1911 by HMV

On 9/30/2022 at 6:10 AM, iMustBeCrazy said:

The Excel 55777 fits the bill but for most of it's length it's resolution is 3 inches.

That one seems to be Metric only, the only one I can be sure of is the Tankraft Imperial Pro Modeler Scale Ruler. @John Murray

That will be the 3rd ruler from BNA... 🤣 However, that does have the scale I am after on it. Strange thing is, when I searched BNAs website, I did not find that one.

Regards

John

On 9/30/2022 at 6:17 AM, realworkingsailor said:

Try here for something more closer to your location:

https://www.bnamodelworld.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=Scale ruler

Andy

Just ordered it. :)

Regards

John

On 9/30/2022 at 12:43 PM, Charles Green said:

USA tool maker, Starrett, makes steel rules graduated in 1/48 inch.  Six-inch-long, part # C601-6; 12-inch-long, part # C601-12.  Front and back, top and bottom of the rule make for four graduated edges.  One edge is graduated in 12ths, 24ths and 48ths.  The others give measurements in 10ths, 20ths, 50ths and 100ths; 16ths, 32nds and 64ths and lastly, 14ths and 28ths.  They will be very well made and surprisingly expensive.    

I have just ordered one, not starret though. Couldn't find one anywhere then this forum turns up loads of responses. :)

Regards

John

On 9/30/2022 at 4:40 PM, Richard44 said:

Hi John,

I too am in Aus and I happen to have a 12 inch three-sided Imperial rule that includes 1:48. I no longer need this so if you pm me your address I'll send it to you.

Cheers

Thank you very much for your kind offer. Unfortunately, I ordered one and then read your offer... Doh!

Regards

John