New member and modeller

Hello from Canada 

My name is Zac. I am brand new to this forum and a little overwhelmed tbh, almost didn’t sign up. I saw people introducing themselves here and thought I’d dip my toe in the water.

I’m going to be honest, I have no modelling experience at all, and I just purchased two wood kits from Occre. The Endurance and their just released Flying Dutchman. I’m 20 years old (something to be happy about from what I see from posts discussing how to keep the hobby alive) and picked them up as a project to do in my apartment during school. The reason I chose to get some ship models is I love the history behind them, the endurance especially, I’ve read about Shackleton’s journey many many times.

I just read a lengthy post for beginners saying don’t go in over your head. You can take your bets on wether I’m one of those modellers who disappear before their first model is complete, or one of the ones who somehow pulls off a great build (just so you know I’m starting the second hull on the endurance already).

my goal is to start a build log, so you can see where my dreams and aspirations come crashing down, just like the endurance. 

Any help and suggestions on using the forum and making use of its resources would be much appreciated, thanks for taking the time to read this far and maybe respond?

Cheers,

Zac

:piratebo5:Zac, welcome to MSW. 

The best advice I could give is definitely start that build log, as you can get an amazing amount of help, advice and encouragement from any who look in.

Best of luck with Endurance, hope to see your build log soon.

Have fun.

PS, the shop notes, modelling tips and research  section is also a good place to look and ask questions in.

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Welcome, Zac!

I actually think a well-motivated beginner might be able to pull off the Endurance. Having no guns and being square-rigged on only one mast, it lacks some of the elements that can make a first build particularly difficult. The photo-based instructions should also be very helpful. Be sure to create a build log when you get started, and you should be able to get lots of advice along the way.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Hello:sign: yes open a log,people go out of there way to help here.I just did a Santa Maria  first time builder  and with the help of MSW and the logs I pulled off a good ship, mistake yes, but so much fun. 20 you say  I wish  lol:dancetl6:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Zac, welcome to MSW. You can do this! Glad to have you aboard. 

Welcome, Zac.

I too am from Canada and am in my 20's. There aren't very many young'uns like us here on MSW. ;)

As everyone else has said, do start a build log. I am also working on my first ever model, and have found it both practical and sentimental to have photos and details of my build process. Besides that, there are so many knowledgeable members here who have answered my questions throughout the years. I'd be glad to have a chance to pay it forward.

Cheers,

starlight

Hello Zac, and a warm welcome to the forum from 'Down Under'.

You've already made a great decision about your new hobby by saying that you're going to start a build log. As has been said, help is out here, and people are happy to help.  Just ask any questions you have - don't feel embarrassed if you think they're a bit simple - remember, we all had to start at some time.

Enjoy your new hobby!

John

Welcome aboard!

20 years young-- Enjoy these years!  I envy you having this forum at your age and in the beginning of what I hope will be a lifelong hobby for you.    Do read EVERYTHING you can here at MSW.   It will save you some aggravation and guide you on which kits will help improve your skills.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Zac, A warm welcome to MSW.

I am looking forward to read your build logs, and I know you will do it.

You have more than 40000 members backing you. Ask questions even for something trivial.

Many (I guess most) of our members don't belong to any clubs to get help or support from.

That's why we are here. Think of us as a huge club where help is available 24/7.

Again :sign:

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

5 hours ago, starlight said:

Welcome, Zac.

I too am from Canada and am in my 20's. There aren't very many young'uns like us here on MSW. ;)

As everyone else has said, do start a build log. I am also working on my first ever model, and have found it both practical and sentimental to have photos and details of my build process.

Starlight

Starlight and Zac, don't only take pictures to upload to MSW but save it to your own drive. It's always good to have.

More pictures are better than few.

My saved build logs also have copied helpful information from members so I can easily go backwards and find what is needed quicker than using MSW.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Zac, welcome to MSW from the UK.  My advice is to read the advice above, it is all good. I am looking forward to your build logs.

FWIW, I can't think of a better reason to get into this hobby than the one you gave: an interest in the history behind the ships. A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads and tails of the same coin. 

Ask questions! 👍

Bruce 

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Welcome to MSW, Zac. I can't add to the above advice as they've pretty much said it all.   

You can, by using the search feature (upper right hand side) search for the kit builds of you models.  By looking at other build logs of the same model, you might save some aggravation as someone has already ran into any problems you might have.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Zac and welcome to Model Ship World.  We are glad to have you as a member.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Zac, welcome aboard.  You've received some very good advice.  I would like to add a couple things that I don't believe were touched upon.  Realize that nearly every "oops" that comes up can be fixed/repaired, the only determining factor is if you want to do it.  I was halfway done in planking my hull and decided to pull it all off, fare the frames a bit more and start all over (and that doesn't count the number of individual planks I reworked).  When asking questions I would suggest you post them in the appropriate section in addition to your build log.  I've found that when I was having problems figuring out my rigging I got much more information asking my questions in the rigging section on this site than in my build log.  More people will see/visit the specific section than will see/visit your build log.  It's nothing personal in any way, it's just that the particular kit you're working on may not peak their interest but they really have an interest in the subject/topic you're having difficulties with.  Be sure to take your time and execute great patience.  I've gotten up and walked away from my shipyard many times in order to once again find my happy place before giving my little Jolly Boat flying lessons, just be sure you turn off any power tools and cap the glue.  This isn't a race so most importantly have fun and enjoy the journey.  

Take care and be safe.

kev

Current Build:  HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat - Artesania Latina

On the shelf:  Oseberg #518 - Billing Boats