Secret Vessel Morel by HardeeHarHar - FINISHED - Master Korabel - Scale 1:36

Alas, I am currently away from the Granado build at the "Roanoke Island Shipyard" on the coast (sigh), so I have established a mini-secondary-shipyard to occupy my free time and irritate the Admiral.  Because of the limited resources available at this inland location, I have elected to build the little wooden submarine "Morel".  It is a kit made in Russia, but I had purchased it before Russia's/Putin's egregious land grab in the Ukraine had begun.  Regardless of its origin and global politics, it appears to be a nice simple kit that will be a lot easier to build and less time-consuming to finish than the Granado build. There are also lots of good build logs out there for me to benefit from (e.g., Secret Vessel "Morel" by John Gummersall - FINISHED - Master Korabel - Scale 1:36).  Because of the existing and outstanding build logs already out there, this one will be abbreviated at best, so please forgive my abruptly jumping in with both feet and a photograph of the build and a beer already in progress:

IMG_0806.thumb.jpeg.2041b76a2643f3518f231370ca72d5f7.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

With a glass of the "Golden Nectar", I see that you've started off this project on the right foot.  No cannons and no rigging, you probably will have this one done pretty quick  :D

Take care and be safe.

kev

Current Build:  HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat - Artesania Latina

On the shelf:  Oseberg #518 - Billing Boats

• 2 weeks later...

Meanwhile, back at the ranch....I have to admit that this kit is nicely done so far.  I have relearned how to use PVA glue in order to enclose the windows into their window frames without causing the plastic "glass" to fog up.  They came together fairly well, and the glass came through the process unscathed much to my surprise.  One window was done with my contact lenses in, which means I couldn't see close up very well.  The other was done with my contacts out, which means I could see close up very well.  The difference was quite apparent (with my contacts out), but not so much as to require a re-do.  I also assembled the ladder, which being enclosed within the secret vessel won't even be seen.  That didn't stop me from sanding it down and removing the char, etc.  Apparently there is some form of brain-washing being used on MSW, where you slowly become convinced you need to do everything to the best of your ability, even if it will never be seen.  Thanks for stopping by peeps, best regards to everyone!

IMG_0953.thumb.jpeg.faa8313e45988bf43f425a7af6bbe248.jpegIMG_0954.thumb.jpeg.e78e50f177890fa8b807d7b8fb30503d.jpeg

This kit really comes together quite well.  The transverse ribs almost snap into place.  You have to push, but they are all able to be firmly set evenly along the entire length of the little ship.IMG_0959.thumb.jpeg.40946b4dc25b8d09aff68a43698401d6.jpeg

The jig provided with this kit for bending planks is very nicely done.  It works particularly well if you put two planks in each slot (heh heh heh @John Gummersall, surprise! =).  I followed the instructions about staggering the planking order around the circumference, and it had its positive and negatives.  All that is left is to fill in the last planks that have been filed to fit exactly.  Time consuming yes, but doable and required.IMG_0962.thumb.jpeg.b40250f736b96f09b224157175fc73ff.jpegIMG_0963.thumb.jpeg.c11a87b677a62a6d0a1c82c957562384.jpegIMG_0964.thumb.jpeg.3dc2bcf89415688d607e1a925a59b2d0.jpegIMG_0965.thumb.jpeg.d0af70c0649f2e2d570411d2b23a705c.jpeg 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey HHH, I finally remembered to check this one out again.  Nice work.  I don't think MSW has brainwashed us, rather reinforcing an inborn trait we builders already possess.  As far as the ladder goes, I bet just enough can be seen through the windows for the observer to notice.  And if not, you'll know they are there and that'll still give you the warm fuzzies.

Take care and be safe.

kev

• 2 weeks later...

All planking has been done on the main keg section of the Secret Vessel.  In the photos below, I have cleaned all the saw dust out of the seams to reveal all the gaps in the planking that need to be filled.  I was not too upset with the final appearance, even with the gaposis.  Yesterday, I took a 1 mL syringe with a fine needle and filled it with dilute PVA.  Then I "injected" the dilute PVA into the gaps, wiped off any excess sloppage, and sanded it down while filling the gaps with the saw dust that was being created.  Repeatedly.  I have a little bit more touch up to do, but I think it is working pretty well.  I'll post more photos when I do a little more touch up work.  I bought some danish oil (medium, what ever that means), and some stain, and will be trying these out on some scraps.  Hope everyone is having a good weekend, and that all your teams are winning.  Go Blue.

IMG_1079.thumb.jpeg.29d83cfd5f72177067e0dd41d5fbe1d9.jpegIMG_1080.thumb.jpeg.1137ef3cf625783b4ae69e3749077cc3.jpegIMG_1081.thumb.jpeg.ddb9227c3591e6b9719ef90d8db6c857.jpegIMG_1082.thumb.jpeg.20b1369db60b9642aeae65f94fad7ccf.jpeg

IMG_1083.thumb.jpeg.5aca3ce8dcfe55e856a02bc40b03a831.jpeg

Wow HHH, that is looking very good.  I can't wait to see it stained, the grain patterns of the planks should make for a really nice presentation, IMHO.

Take care and be safe.

kev

Psssst…Brian? Did you sand and oil the “keg” on your living room coffee table? If so, you’re a braver man than I!😲

The Watco Danish oil looks great.

Edited by hollowneck
Added text

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Heh heh heh.  @hollowneck you have keen eyes!  That is a table on our screened in porch in Durham.  The construction has been going on inside on the breakfast nook table, but I took the sanding and staining outside.  My wife/the Admiral is ridiculously tolerant and kind, and today even said she liked the Danish oil treatment on The Secret Vessel.  I’m currently working on setting up an “office”/“model building” room in the house in Durham.  Going to get an old drafting table and set up something to vent sawdust and fumes etc.  if you have suggestions, I’d love to hear them!

Edited by HardeeHarHar

I have a “ShopFox” ceiling mounted air cleaning system in the area where I make fine particle sawdust. For bigger wood particles, I use a simple ShopVac hooked up to the outlet tubes (disc sander, table saw, etc.). For “fumes’’ (like lacquer or some acrylics) I do this outside, sometimes in the garage using various sizes of throwaway cardboard boxes (my spray booths). For glue and sometimes paint fumes, I have a small desktop air filtration unit. Hope this info is useful…

Edited by hollowneck
Added text

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Great Job!!!! You nailed it.  I use a shop vac with a hepa filter and bag, works great for dust and particles, fumes not that great but for dust its great. I hook it up to everything. :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

5 hours ago, AJohnson said:

Look very good Brian, looks a nice finish to me! 👍

Thanks Andrew!  I'm trying my best!!

Dude Ya' nailed it  :cheers:  IMHO I can't see how it could have turned out any better  :imNotWorthy:

Now what thoughts do you have for how you plan on using that drafting table?

Take care and be safe.

kev

16 minutes ago, Peanut6 said:

Dude Ya' nailed it  :cheers:  IMHO I can't see how it could have turned out any better  :imNotWorthy:

Now what thoughts do you have for how you plan on using that drafting table?

Thanks Kev!  You’re too kind!!  The drafting table will be used as an office desk and a construction space/painting easel.  It’s big!  image.png.134f994244bb5c7f2cefb817128da287.png

3 hours ago, Peanut6 said:

Oh my, that is quite the find.  Very old school and probably weighs more than a few pounds.  Good for you :D

Yessir, it weighs over 200 pounds.  I hope it works as I am hoping.  At the very least, it serves to remind me of all the architects that comprise my ancestry.  It raises and lowers so I can work sitting or standing.  I may have to put it to good use while writing a book, if a 2nd Edition Book is approved by Elsevier.  That is gonna be a real commitment of time and effort.  When not writing, I am hoping I can use it for guitar playing/ship building (and an occasional attempt at painting).  I have talented painters in my family who are inspirational, but I don't seem to have inherited those particular genes....not that I let that stop me =]

The thought that immediately comes to mind is how many people have used that table and what drawings came from it over the years.  It is becoming more and more evident that you are a man of many skills.  Scientist, writer, musician, hobbyist, angler and now we learn you are a painter.  I suppose that leaves just one question , , , , do you do windows?  Sorry, I couldn't resist.  Oh, and by the way, the turret looks pretty sharp to boot!  

Take care and be safe.

kev

@Peanut6 - I never said I did any of those things well, but I keep practicing!!!  I used to do leather craft when I was young, and I got very good at that.   I won’t be doing much leather work, but I do hope to put the drafting table to good use in the future!!!  It can even serve as a music stand too!  Believe you me, I do A LOT of windows Kev.  Way too many.  The salt water on the coast makes it a must if you want to see thru your windows.   I’d say I am not too bad at windows.  😜.  

p.s.
Turning oars with a file is painful, time to order that lathe…

One does not have to perfect an endeavor to experience the joy and satisfaction of the practice.  The key is that what ever it was, served it's purpose and you found enjoyment.  IMHO a diversity of interests most definitely helps to help keep life fun and interesting.  Might it be possible to use a poor man's lathe, a variable speed hand drill, to do what you need to do?  That is how I turned down my stuff.  Granted it may take a bit of thinking/planning to do, I have no idea what exactly you need to do but it might be a possibility.  

Take care and be safe.

kev

Just paddling along.  Wondering how to do the rivets next…

image.thumb.jpeg.fb059c7cd6a84e6eb9ef02a2da6ac8b5.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.ff416d6a62334a18150d1415e4d0e1e5.jpeg

Edited by HardeeHarHar

Thanks @ccoyle, I have rivets in lots of small sizes I purchased from the web.  I was thinking you just cut the rivet head off and glue it down.  No drilling needed.  Is that correct?

Edited by HardeeHarHar

• 1 month later...

Brian the Riveter:

1) Enlarge hole
image.thumb.jpeg.9ce46d9fe0efde928faa331daf84158c.jpeg

2) Cut heads of rivers

image.thumb.jpeg.7f7592e1b0d8928d7afb2bc6bbb1935e.jpeg

3). Glue em

image.thumb.jpeg.45c2697f1ceee270215af222c5988fbc.jpeg

4). Blacken them or not?

Edited by HardeeHarHar