Reggiane Re.2005 by Javlin - FINISHED - Pacific Coast Models - 1/32

Javlin

While I am waiting for more accessories from HobbyLink Japan for the Scharnhorst thought I start on a quick easy build figuring 3/4 weeks maybe?I first had to repair a screw-up from some years ago weras I fell asleep at the bandsaw cutting off the resin pour :default_wallbash:I spent about 45 minutes this evening fixing the wheel well with .010 flat card and some .010 round stock it went well enough.The parts have been cleaned with alcohol and primer is drying as I type.The decals allow me a couple planes from that squadron and one other the boxart being the best.The PCM kits are limited run kits with no mounting holes anywhere but they are of interesting subjects I have the Mc-202 in the stash also .........smoke rings..........:unsure:

Reg.2005 003.JPG

Reg.2005 002.JPG

Intresting subject, one of the sleekest Italian planes.

PS there is a spelling typo in the name of the title, the correct name is 'Reggiane' 😉

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

I appreciate the interest and all this is only my second PCM to build the G/55 was the last one I did.I just about have the sidewalls completed paint-wise some by the instructions for color switches and stuff will let's say fantasy some what?I started doing a little test fitting the firewall behind the pilot seat has a decent incline molded into it looked to much it was.I taped the fuselage together put the firewall in with it aligning with the headrest(trim).I then after some determination changed that angle and tack the floor in place.I also wanted to check clearance between the floor and upper part of the radiator built into the lower wing looks good thus far.It looks like the copit can be assembled as per instruction as a module and slide in place...fingers crossed.Hey guys on the floor board right side does that look like a fuel line?;)

Reg.2005 001.JPG

Edited by Javlin

1 hour ago, Danstream said:

Intresting subject, one of the sleekest Italian planes.

A fast little crate at that published as 391MPH.Interesting discussion not certain I believe all the dribble though.

http://www.aviastar.org/air/italy/reggiane_sagittario.php

Re.2005 Specifications

Wingspans 36 ft 1 in / 11 m
Length 28 ft 7 in / 8,7 m
Height 10 ft 4 in / 3.15 m
Wing Area 220 ft² / 20.4 m²
Engine One Fiat R.A.1050 RC.58 12-cylinder 1475 hp engine
Empty Weight 5732 lbs / 2.600 kg
Maximum Takeoff Weight 7.960 lbs / 3.610 kg
Fuel Capacity 580 + 440 l
Climb to 8 km (19,700 ft) 7 minutes 50 seconds
Maximum Speed 390 mph / 630 km/h
Cruising speed 319 mph / 515 km/h
Range

776 mile / 1.250 km

I'm in for this one Kevin!  Interesting how even in war, the Italians put a nice design stamp on their planes (and ships, etc.).  What do you think of the kit?  I don't have any PCM in the stash, but just wondering what you thought.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

On 10/11/2022 at 4:04 PM, Landlubber Mike said:

I don't have any PCM in the stash, but just wondering what you thought.

I have built the G-55 it was pretty straight forward and easy this one also.I have an update coming but life has been getting in the way lately.The only thing about PCM is they were short run kits and the panel engraving is not like what we have today but they do look the part.;)

The fuse is getting closed up tonight not much of an update have that feeling ready to move on.I had to cut the back half of the tanks to build this way just to much gap between the copit walls and the fuselage.I broke the rudder pedals off have to reattach not that anybody will ever see them a tight copit.FYI the tailwheel housing sat right on a pour plug has to be removed I think I have 35/45 sanding to get a good fit and paper thin in some areas .;)

Reg.2005 001.JPG

OK a couple more pics are started cleaning up the fuse wingroots look good have clearance from the copit tub and lower wing I cleaned enough off the wing.The second pic is the scary part dremel off the molded and insert the resin resin looks much better and realistic but I am going there maybe a little metal mg's?;)

Reg.2005 002.JPG

Reg.2005 003.JPG

I have glued the wings up a bit of sanding on the top of the wheel wells on the one I had to repair that .010" made a difference but was accomplished.The fit between the wing and the fuselage is exceptional for now......their is no dihedral looks like maybe 10'tops got to fix that.I f#$% up the exhaust and I knew I should not of glued them really snug/tight fit they stick out to far.The instructions do not show how much and I moved them to the point of a positive stop on the mold.:brickwall:I also made some bolts for the oleo's that were lost in removing them from casting block and will add hydraulics to the LG.I am still thinking when all said and done she will look good.;)

Reg.2005 001.JPG

Reg.2005 002.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

It's been slow working in the other side of the shop on a piece for Sis.The Re.2005 has been primer fit overall was pretty good for a limited -run kit I think my projection of the exhaust is a bit extreme should of looked at more pics of the real thing instead went with the positive stops of the mold.I tried to loosen with acetone and about brought the whole build to a halt I managed to save the build after several cracks to the nose were repaired.The MG's in the nose are from the spares box while they gave resin for the wings which will be discarded for metal tubing.I still need to see if I have a suitable color for the top in the stash.;)

Reg.2005 001.JPG

Reg.2005 002.JPG

I made up some Dk It.Olive from regular It.Olive pretty close to the chips.I started by spraying the the plane with black botches then lined them loosely and erratically.The next step was to fill in the grey areas with the green then to covering the black and an overall spray to my liking.The pics I have seen of the crates was of a spotty appearance for a quick build is dragging out some.;)

Reg.2005 001.JPG

Reg.2005 002.JPG

Reg.2005 003.JPG

Reg.2005 004.JPG

Really nice job Kevin breaking up the solid mass of color the way you did.  Looks fantastic!  I need to start doing that on my planes.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Looking really nice.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

22 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Really nice job Kevin breaking up the solid mass of color the way you did.  Looks fantastic!  I need to start doing that on my planes.

I was just trying to replicate what to my eye was happening on some of the real ones in the pics but you are right it breaks it up quite nicely.;)

Nice job on this great looking plane.

I hate to say it now, but the insignias of the 'fasci's are unfortunately all upside down (including the colored one below the cockpit). If that doesn't bother you, I would suggest to leave them like that (it could even have an associated ideological meaning, if you wish). 

Greetings,

Dan

Edited by Danstream

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48

I have a couple more pics and have reversed the fuselage decals with the axe blade UP.I could not get the wings decals to lift and feared messing up the paint better to let it be.The prop is just stuck on ATTM the 20mm cannons are bigger than what was  supplied in the kit but match closer to what is in the wheel well.I have one LG with a hose just need to get after the other,;)

Reg.2005 006.JPG

Reg.2005 007.JPG

It turned out very nice. The reveresed insignias on the wing are barely noticeable and do not detract from the good look of the model. I like the green finish which is not dead matt. Indeed, the paint used by Reggiane was a very dark green and had a degree of shine, probably to increase wear resistance and decrease drag.

Cheers,

Dan

Nicely done Kevin!!  Beautiful work on a cool subject.

Mike

59 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Nicely done Kevin!!  Beautiful work on a cool subject.

I like the Italian Birds they do look sleek.I am now trying to finish an old kit it's just for fun nothing special HC Fokker DR.1 1/28 have some other decals no RB.;)

Very well done!

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me