SD 14 by RN77 - Marcle Models - CARD

Good Evening

After attempting the Borodino and getting a bit fed up trying to get the hull "skin" right I thought I would put it aside for a wee while to take a break from it and return in a few days hopefully remotivated.

Well that was 8 months ago, I still pass by it in my shed but my mind has shifted elsewhere

I came across Kevin's SD14 build log, and as I enjoyed building the "skeleton" of the Borodino, seeing how she came together I thought this would be a good topic I could enjoy and would be interesting enough to look at even if I decide not to plate the hull

I purchased the full kit (a lot of  225gsm manilla A3 sheets) fwd mid and aft sections

First thing to do was to copy them onto glossy double sided 250gsm paper

Thought it would be a good idea as I may get too heavy handed with the scoring and end up cutting the original templates

As the paper is gloss coated I don't  think I need to worry about putting wet stuff on to seal the paper for painting 

Have made a start with the fwd section plates

plates seperate 1.jpg

plates seperate.jpg

plates joined.jpg

plates joined1.jpg

Good evening Folks

I think I should have posted this in the kits section

Can the powers that be decide and shift as required..... apologies  for any hassle

The fwd strakes are glued together

Looks a bit wavy as not lying flat due to the joins over lapping...expect thats so when viewed from the outside there is a bit of hull plating effect

Sitting on a A3 size platen glass from a photocopier to give an idea of the size

I will weight it down overnight till the glue dries

fwd strakes.jpg

fwd strakes 1.jpg

fwd strakes external view.jpg

Edited by RN77

As for moving it, I suspect that this a model in the "gray area".  You're using the "kit" to generate your own building materials so not using the kit except as a template/plans.... am I right?  If so, this falls into the scratch area.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

Good Evening Folks

Thought I was being smart using glossy paper but when I tried to remove a spot of glue with a wet finger the gloss rubbed away exposing rough fibres.😄

Thought best to change media to ordinary 300gsm paper. Never dawned on me to make copies onto manilla paper like the originals🤪

I have redone the bottom shell plates but may have to try again as a couple of lines are not perfectly straight😝

I have cut out the longitudes and most of the port side double bottom frames. These have been dry fitted just to see how they will look and to see if any tweaks are required before gluing

longitudals.jpg

frames.jpg

frames1.jpg

frames2.jpg

This looks different. You have sparked my interest.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

On 11/3/2022 at 12:32 AM, druxey said:

Definitely out of the ordinary!

Thanks for comments and thumbs chaps appreciated

I have redone the shell plates once again but still having a problem getting them to line up perfectly

Decided to carry on and have glued the longitudals in place

Dry fitted the frames on port side....there is a couple missing as I cut thru the fold line 🤪 one of the reasons I am not using the originals😃

Thinking about restarting with a new approach.....I like the skeleton of a ship and as this was built as a training aid being able to see inside then covering the hull would defeat the purpose

This would mean that i can do away with the over lapping hull plates and work on a flat surface.  food for thought

Not too happy with my results so far as we all think we could have done that a bit better but the main thing is I am happy plodding along and enjoying it

port long.jpg

port long1.jpg

port long2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks

Been humming and hawing whether to continue with the media I am using as I find it a bit fiddly and flexes too much when handling due to my heavy hands and impatience 🤪

Copied again and glued to card

Quite happy plodding along thinking that as thicker I do not need the folds so i cut them off

After watching a video on the construction off an SD14 i noticed metal bars running the length of the hull plate before anything else

https://www.yfanefa.com/record/24352

I thought that fold on the longitudes was just support for the card

I have cut out the slots on the bottom of the frames and will shove a strip of card there to represent this

Using the thicker media, the folds will be too wide when joining the port and starboard frames together, so I have joined them together with a tab and I will add a piece of card on the last frame to represent that keel

Shouldn't matter about the rest as will be covered with deck plates

On the model only frames 133 and 134 have marks for cutting out

On the real thing all the frames had cut outs to reduce the weight of the hull (get more /heavier cargo on board??) and for flooding to adjust ballast

Toying whether to cut them all out, only the 2 or none as more than likely won't see this if hull is plated 

The tank top longitudes --will only glue the verticle parts for spacing between frames, the tops will be replaced with card to reduce the thickness of the card and template

All parts dry fitted only will tidy it up when I start gluing

dry1.jpg

dry2.jpg

dry3.jpg

dry4.jpg

that looks fantastic, but that is also a awful amount of work

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

6 hours ago, Kevin said:

that looks fantastic, but that is also a awful amount of work

Hi Kevin 

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment

This is all your fault 😝 Came across your build diary and I fancied giving it a go

The amount of monotonous cutting of location marks is broken down by watching commercial tv

Watching commercial tv or even a prerecorded programme instead of fast forwarding the adverts I jump up to the table and cut out a few slots

I an now into the 3rd series of Cracker and the 2nd series of Sharpe 😜

im quite happy to take blame but certainly not for you watching itv lol

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 2 months later...

Good evening Folks

Been a while since my last post as I started again TWICE just wasn't happy with results I was achieving using card and paint. 

I have decided to try using styrene sheet.

The shell plates were drawn and cut out and the longitudes were glued down using Tamiya extra thin.

I do have bottles of plastic weld but it can burn a hole in this thin and perhaps because it is a cheaper version of styrene than evergreen

Again I copied the templates and glued them to 0.5mm styrene

Once cut out they were soaked to remove the card but a lot of scraping with my finger nails was required to remove the tacky pva glue.

Only done the stb frames so far to see how I get on

I have used a 6mm hole punch for lightening holes and a smaller punch for drainage (mouse holes).Perhaps not the correct size or shape or position but just to represent that it wasn't a complete strip of metal

I have used Halfords red primer from a spray can

Off now to start on the port frames

plates.jpg

platesa.jpg

plates1.jpg

plates2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Good Evening Folks

Coming across a diagram I saw that I had my bottom longitudes lying horizontal as per card model instead of verticle

I thought I should correct this while just at the start of the build

The slots on the other longitudes did not line up with each other very well either

I presume this is due to the glue drying out causing the card template to shrink

I clamped all these longitudes together and cut the slots out using one of the templates as a guide on the scroll saw

The middle longitude replaces the fold at the end of the frames for the card model

longitudes.jpg

keel.jpg

longitudes1.jpg

Edited by RN77