Le Camaret by Padeen - FINISHED - Constructo - WOOD - 1:35 (first model)

01/11/2011

Wow! I can't believe it has been nearly a month since my last posting here... 

I still did not tried anything on the rudder as I have to buy tools and copper nails (thanks for the lecture on riveting, gentlemen, this video does make it look easy! (Remark 2013: I don't have the link to the video anymore and don't remember who posted it...)).

I did progress on the built, nevertheless.

After some colouring experiments (Remark 2013: originally posted in the sails & rigging tips... I reproduce those tests here:

--- sails colouring

I wanted to have my fishing cutter sails coloured in a brownish red.

I first tried to stain a piece of the kit sail cloth with tea but it resulted in a very light

ochre. There were two problems (as Sailcat helped me understand): the sail cloth had not been washed prior to dying which meant that there might be some chemicals remaining on the fabric that prevented the tea to fix on it; second my tea brew was probably not concentrated enough...

Ulises Victoria also suggested using fabric specific dyes which I did not try but that Uinsin used with success for his model of Le Camaret.

Here are the experiments I did:

In the first pic, we have (from left to right) one square of plain fabric, one with ink only, one with a light brew of Darjeeling tea and one with both tea

and ink. There was not enough ink to colour much the fabric but it did left some deeply coloured spots on defects, so I discarded the ink.

post-508-0-62885000-1361731727.jpg

In the second picture, I tried a strong brew of Earl Grey tea (left) and a strong one of Darjeeling (right). This last one is not as red as I would have liked but it looks good and it is the one I chose for Le Camaret.

post-508-0-22033800-1361731755.jpg

In the third and last pic, I tried to mix some red paint with Earl Grey tea (left) : the resulting colour is far too deep to my liking.

post-508-0-29845400-1361731784.jpg

---)

So, after those colouring experiments, I finally started with the sails. They took a bath in a strong brew of Darjeeling tea before being ironed and sewn. There are four of them and the jib is already set:

post-508-0-70407800-1361731864_thumb.jpg

I also made the flag: I used a black Faber Castell artist pen on a paper intended for Chinese calligraphy.

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

13/12/2011

Well, 

I finally got to complete the main sail!  :)   

It was rather easy to fit directly on the model: I started by the upper end of the gaff, then all the way down the gaff with lacing (as per one of the options described in Zu Mondfeld's book):

post-508-0-68542700-1361732035.jpg

... and then with the five mast rings (I tried with brass wire first but it was a pain so rope it is!  :D ):

post-508-0-99220700-1361732088.jpg

post-508-0-41303500-1361732129_thumb.jpg

I'm currently attaching the lower part to the boom.

post-508-0-96008700-1361732173.jpg

I also corrected my jib mistake by having the sheet go over the stay. I can now change tack properly:

post-508-0-25135300-1361732214.jpg

And I tried a small improvement on the rudder by cutting the nails shorter. I find it much better and that's a good thing as I don't have the nerves to unmount it and do rivets instead: that will be for Fly!  ;)

post-508-0-61824000-1361732257.jpg

Oh, and here is a better view of the flag:

post-508-0-04722500-1361732282_thumb.jpg

Padeen (Adeline)

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

11/02/2012
Well, well, well... finally some progress on Le Camaret: we are close to completion.  :piratetongueor4:  
I finished the forth and last sail  :P  , the anchor buoy (not sure if it is supposed to look like this but why not?...) and two lines of lobster pots with their flag buoys. I also made two buoys (the pink ones) that could be used if the boat was to moor along the quay.
post-508-0-04253800-1361732564.jpg
post-508-0-77828400-1361732716_thumb.jpg

To make the flag buoys, I used two blocks of wood were I drilled two holes and then inserted and glued a toothpick. The flag is paper and the colours are acrylics. 
The mooring buoys were made from the cork of a Champagne bottle (I finally found a reason why I was right to keep these corks  :D  ) and painted with acrylics. 
The buoys were all marked with the boat number, which I thought appropriate.
post-508-0-84695400-1361732788.jpg
post-508-0-76354800-1361732818.jpg
post-508-0-34635900-1361732849.jpg
post-508-0-34650700-1361732876.jpg

Just the legs to try and we can fly!  B)

post-508-0-61948400-1361732930.jpg

Padeen (Adeline)

18/03/2012

Well, I've not opened a bottle yet: maybe when I will have a case done for Le Camaret... And as I don't have a clear idea on how to rig the legs yet, I leave that for when I have a chance to go back to the seacoast (Remark 2013: not done yet...) and I give you a few more shots of my now finished model:

post-508-0-32202800-1361733154.jpg

post-508-0-08640400-1361733191.jpg

post-508-0-75915000-1361733231.jpg

post-508-0-61853500-1361733280_thumb.jpg

post-508-0-36028500-1361733312_thumb.jpg

post-508-0-55452000-1361733348_thumb.jpg

post-508-0-58488400-1361733394_thumb.jpg

---

(Remark 2013: more pics in the completed model gallery...)

24/02/2013

She does not have a case yet but she is now at my parents', having survived a three-hour train trip in an overcrowded wagon last Christmas with only one wound: a ring connecting the "upper gaff?" to the upper part of the mast broke. It was easily repaired with a new brass ring and she now stands proudly in my parents' bedroom waiting for me to come back and fetch her!

Padeen (Adeline)

Adeline, absolutely beautiful little ship.  Was the windlass what was provided in the kit or did you fabricate that? It looks fantastic and I can see why you are looking for a case for it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

Thank you Sarah,

Yes the windlass was provided with the kit; I only had to make a replacement for one of the small gears which was a very fragile metal casting. My only additions to the kit were the buoys and the flag...

Padeen (Adeline)

• 4 months later...

Hi Padeen

I am very impressed with what you achieved with your first model. I just purchased the Le Camaret as my 3rd moddel. My first two had even more mistakes, but following your learnings this will go much better.

:) .

One observation

I fix the keel after i fit the bulk heads. I than engrave a rabit just on top of the keel, so the planking kan slide in. I find you do not have to do so much sanding

Hello Fritsl,

Thank you. I hope you will enjoy your build, I will certainly enjoy following your build log! If you have questions, don't hesitate: I'll do my best to help.

About the rabbet, in fact I am experimenting with this on my second build... and indeed it helps a lot!

Padeen (Adeline)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi LJ,

Thank you (by the way, I'm a she... ;) )

Do open a build log for your build, you will find it helps a lot to progress and thus we will be able to admire your work!

Hoping to see your build here soon,

Padeen (Adeline)

• 1 month later...

Hi Padeen

Trust you are doing well.

My boat is coming on nicely, but am now stuck rigging up the rudder stick. I cannot see from your pictures how you did it. Could you be so kind to draw me a sketch.

Many thanks

Hello Fritsl,

I'm well indeed, thank you.

I'm not sure I understand your question but I imagine you are talking about the connection between the rudder post and what I call the bar on deck (the stick that is used to move the rudder)... I have drawn a sketch showing how I did it: I pierced a hole in the upper part of the rudder post, and another hole through the bar and then simply glued both parts to a brass rod that passes through the hull and that I bent at the bottom end...

post-508-0-00698800-1381065329_thumb.jpg

Hope that this helps.

edit: did not see your following post: I'll have a look at your log then!

Edited by Padeen

Padeen (Adeline)

Thanks Anja,

I did enjoy working on her!

Padeen (Adeline)

Sorry Adeline,

My post has gone missing, my mistake.

But again, you did a wonderful job. Your Le Camaret is a beauty.

Congratulations. And I enjoyed the pictures in the gallery.

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

No problem Anja.

Fritsl,

After seeing your log I realised I misunderstood your question. So, here is the proper answer I hope:

post-508-0-43612900-1381067437_thumb.jpg

post-508-0-45495400-1381067460_thumb.jpg

I have drawn only one side of the assembly but there is the same rigging on the other side.

This is how I understood the plans anyway, I don't know if it is really how it is supposed to be done...

Padeen (Adeline)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Adeline

(I assume Adeline is your name, if not please forgive me)

I have posted some more photos of my Le Camaret.

Most of the progress is thanks to looking 100times at each of your pictures ;)

A lady friend has kindly agreed to stiching the sails for me. I soked the material in a local tean brew (rooibos tea) which has a strong red coloring

I have 3 grand sons. I decided to build each one. Perhaps one day when everything is electronic they can boast and say i made it B)

The boats name on the front will be SHANE engraved on two copper plates.

Once again for all your help

Frits

Hi Fritsl,

Yes, it is my name.

I'm eager to seeing the sails on!

That's nice what you plan to do for your grandsons. Will they each have one version of the same boat or three different boats?

Padeen (Adeline)

Hi Adeline

Thanks for your replies. I am once again working through your presentation to make sure i forgot nothing.

1. No i am building a seperate boat for each child, otherwise it will become to boring for me

2. The blocks and Eyes. I had a look at a boat visiting Cape Town and noticed the eyes where actualy fitted in the block. So lazy me i drill a 4mm hole in the block, cut a 6 mm latine eye hook to size and push it in the whole. It looks tidy and is strong enough to feed the rigging through. I ran short of these eyes by managed to buy on e-bay

• 2 months later...

Hi Adeline,

many thanks for reposting your build-log here. I started mine on old MSW and it's gone for good now...

Whenever I go on building my Camaret I will look up things very often in your log and try to make it (model AND log) as nice as you did yours.

Btw: I found the pics of my build log on my hard drive, so it won't be too much work to restart my log when I can go on building.

thx again & cheers

• 1 year later...

Hola,tengo el modelo pero mis hijos me han perdido todos los planos paso a paso(el manual-librito)y solo me quedan los planos grandes(3) .Seria tan amable si aun los tiene guardados de enviármelos ,gracias.De un modelista