HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Kusawa2000 (Mike Draper)

Hey Everyone: After a long haul (12 years) I have finally finished my Agamemnon. While I know this doesn't have much to do with building the Winnie, for me I just want to post a few pictures so I can put her on the "done" pile. Now I am keen on getting started with the Winnie after watching everyone work on her for the last year or so. 

In addition to the pictures of the Agamemnon I have included a few pictures of my progress so far. I have managed to get the stem assembled and tapered to fit the figurehead as well as get the bulkhead plate assembled and have the rabbet tapered and in place with the stem glued. But before I move ahead with working on the keel at the stern end of the hull, I do have one question for the "Winnie vets". The chapter talks of the false keel being a plank of wood 1/16" x 1/4". Now with the wood package I can only find one piece of wood that fits that description. Am i missing something? Everything I read indicates there is more than one plank but I can only find one. If I have to mill something I dont have a problem doing that I just wanted to see if I was overlooking something. Any information would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Mike Draper

IMG_20221016_144143314.jpg

IMG_20221016_141612115.jpg

IMG_20221016_141735517.jpg

IMG_20221016_141747965.jpg

IMG_20221012_003427701.jpg

IMG_6625.JPG

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

Mike, your Agamemnon look just fantastic! Well done! I’ll have to go over and throughly go through your log

As far as the false keel on your Winnie, if I remember right I only had one piece as well. I’m pretty sure I just Milled them according to the drawings.I think I even just ran the waste trees from the parts through my saw for the wood, it already had the char on it so it worked out well.

Looks like you’re off to a good start. 
JJ

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

2 hours ago, scrubbyj427 said:

Mike, your Agamemnon look just fantastic! Well done! I’ll have to go over and throughly go through your log

As far as the false keel on your Winnie, if I remember right I only had one piece as well. I’m pretty sure I just Milled them according to the drawings.I think I even just ran the waste trees from the parts through my saw for the wood, it already had the char on it so it worked out well.

Looks like you’re off to a good start. 
JJ

I think that is what I may do as well. I do have some leftover pieces that can easily be milled. Thanks for the followup. 

MIKE

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Hi Mike and welcome aboard. I enjoyed looking through your Agamemnon build. Beautiful workmanship!

You're off to a great start and I look forward to seeing your work on the Winnie.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Welcome to the club, I’ve been enjoying my build for almost a year now. I look forward to following yours. 

It is correct the false keel is a piece (actually three identical pieces given the length needed) you need to mill. Just simple pieces the size instructed in the monograph. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone: Some progress. It was such an enjoyment being able to have bulkheads fit with a minimum of trouble. Now time to make some sawdust and fair the bulkheads. And with snow on the ground here in the Yukon, I look forward to a lot of time with the Winchelsea

Mike Draper

IMG_20221102_221850739_HDR.jpg

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

• 2 weeks later...

Question to the Winchelsea crew (or more a confirmation my approach is correct): Im cutting the cross pieces for the gun ports. While I understand to use the laser cut hash mark to locate where they are located on the bulkhead, my question is do you have the cross pieces run with the hull (thus have them align with the hash mark on the adjacent bulkhead) or have them sit 90 degrees to the bulkhead. I have checked pics from other builders and it appears that everyone is having them oriented to the run of the hull but I just want to confirm before I get to far along.. 

Thanks in advance..

MIKE

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

The sills run parallel to the deck actually.  This is what the laser etched marks are lined up for.  Follow them and also keep them flat on top port to starboard.   But they will angle fore and aft to match the run of the gun deck.

Chuck

14 minutes ago, Chuck said:

The sills run parallel to the deck actually.  This is what the laser etched marks are lined up for.  Follow them and also keep them flat on top port to starboard.   But they will angle fore and aft to match the run of the gun deck.

Chuck

Chuck: Thanks! That is what I thought. When I was dry fitting the sills, it was the adjacent laser etched marks that got me wondering if the sills were to sit 90 degrees to the bulkheads or follow the laser etched marks of the adjacent bulkheads. Appreciate the quick response. I have learned in the past that its these small details that come back to haunt you. 

MIKE

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

11 minutes ago, Kusawa2000 said:

these small details that come back to haunt y

More than whatever time it takes to closely follow the plans and monograph to get the infrastructure correct, pays dividends over and over as you move forward.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

51 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

More than whatever time it takes to closely follow the plans and monograph to get the infrastructure correct, pays dividends over and over as you move forward.

Glenn: Couldnt have said it better.. I have been working on the hull at a glacial speed. 🙂

MIKE

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

• 1 month later...

Everyone: Its been a while since I lasted posted any progress pics. I figure getting the gunport framing completed wouldnt take too long. Boy.. was I wrong. Between getting the framing all properly aligned and then getting all the frames faired correctly took a lot longer than I planned. It didnt take to long to figure out there is no point rushing this part.. and I have a few pieces of discarded framing pieces to show for it. In any case I suspect I will need to do a few more touch ups but I can say this part is done.... now the rear stern pieces. I did think about getting some detailed shots but there are some good reference pictures already out there.. I figure I can let ya know that the -40c weather we have been having has been a great incentive to make some progress on the Winnie.

Mike Draper

image.jpeg

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

3 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

That makes me shiver just reading it!

Trust me.. you never get used to those cold temperatures. You make sure the wood shed is full and you have hobbies to keep you sane. 

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

4 hours ago, druxey said:

Welcome back, Mike! Cold equals model-making time!

Thanks! if that is the case I will be making some serious progress this winter while I look at my wood shed quickly empty... 

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

3 hours ago, FrankWouts said:

Beautiful build af the Agamemnon Mike!

Twelve years, wow, I thought I was slow here with my Winie build…

Great to follow your build!
Frank.

Frank: how long it took to complete the Agamemnon was a bit of a surprise when I tallied up the time it took but life seems to have a way of snagging my free time.. Thanks for the compliment on the Agamemnon. Hope I can do a good job on the Winnie

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone: Just a quick (well not really quick as it took longer than planned to get it completed) progress picture of my Winchelsea. A lot of fiddling to get this right but as I have mentioned before, its good when you take the time to get it right....

Enjoy

Mike Draper

IMG_20230118_002536493.jpg

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone: Not the best pics but I have done the framing.. have marked the location of the wales but want to double check it. Figured I need to double check everything before the planking begins! Not a lot of room for error what I can gather and its a pleasure to work on a project where that is built into the kit. Enjoying every minute of it.

Mike Draper

IMG_20230127_005909260.jpg

IMG_20230131_225510071_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230131_225456256_HDR.jpg

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

Time to put some meat on those bones. That a great foundation for planking.

Chuck: Cant wait to start planking but I have made sure I dont rush things. I see with how everything is designed, things need to be dead on accurate. Im thinking of using Boxwood for the hull planks... leave the stern planking and wales alaskan cedar as they are either painted or covered with a frieze but I have got a hold of some nice boxwood. I will see how it goes! 🙂 

MIKE

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Looks very nice, Mike! Patience certainly pays off on a model like this. We’ll done.

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, FrankWouts said:

Looking very good Mike, well done,

Any updates on your first planks?
Frank.

Frank: Actually yes! I am nearly done the first planking of the wales as well as the planking below the Stern gallery windows. I have also milled the boxwood I will be using for the hull planking. I used the Alaskan cedar for the wales and below the windows as they will either be painted or covered in ornamentation. But I got access to some amazing boxwood and its colour and hardness was perfect for the Winnie.

Also, as Chuck outlined in his chapter 2, that first wale is critical in getting it aligned. It was a real hassle getting it just right.  I had a few false starts. But after all of that framing work it was a real pleasure to get some planks on her. 

I will post some pictures as soon as I can get the wales done and get that first plank using the boxwood.. Im stoked!

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone: So.. got the first layer of the wale planks. As mentioned in a earlier message, I realized you needed to get that first wale plank in the right place for the rest of the planks to fit correctly on the hull. Since that message I have painted the gun ports. I have had to redo some of the wood finish on the gunports after painting as it showed that some gunports needed to be redone. I have also started the planking above the wale but I have only done one plank and only covering a area around 3 gunports. This is going to be a slow process for sure. I think the boxwood is going to work! 

And with another 6 inches of snow falling outside, it makes it easier to work on the Winnie!

Mike Draper

IMG_20230225_123054896.jpg

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada