Bristol F.2B WW1 Fighter by CDW - FINISHED - Eduard - 1:48 Scale

CDW

I'll be building the 1:48 Scale Bristol F.2B World War 1 fighter by Eduard in 1:48 scale. She will be finished in the livery of No. 62 Squadron, RFC, France, early 1918 as flown by Lt W.E. Staton, 25 1/2 confirmed victories. No aftermarket items are planned at this time although I will likely add some scratch-made details particularly as it pertains to rigging. 

I welcome you to follow along, comment, and make yourself at home.

Well heck, I better add a photo of the kit.

B03A1C7C-C99F-430E-97F4-910FE2C9E02A.jpeg

Number 4 in, on the right. Looking at another fine job by a master. No problem with that, right? 😁

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I'm present. Do you mind if I take the hammock again!

Looking forward to this one.

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

3 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

eating-popcorn-smiley-emoticon-1.gif.eda1fb7c2dce114bead30879179e56ee.gif

2 hours ago, AJohnson said:

👻 spooky!  I have been looking at these Eduard F2.Bs only this last week as a future project as I was fancying a biplane for a change.

Pulling up a chez lounge, as you wanted us to be at home! B)

2 hours ago, Canute said:

Number 4 in, on the right. Looking at another fine job by a master. No problem with that, right? 😁

58 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

I'm present. Do you mind if I take the hammock again!

Looking forward to this one.

Welcome, glad to have you aboard. Will be posting a progress update later today so stay tuned. 

Hey Craig, great choice!  I have a couple of the Eduard F.2b kits on the shelf (Brisfish and Crocodile) so will be following your build for sure.

image.jpeg.4a1812ae5a93432e981bbbe2cdfab287.jpeg  image.jpeg.8a5ac29467257259666a4f63414a97f5.jpeg

There's not that much AM out there for these kits, but I did pick up this Part set (No. S48-133) which is for the Roden kit but has some helpful PE for the build.  Worth it just for the much improved radiator in my opinion.

image.png.e8d6bc36e73bff30f2b055a64f3ff588.png

If interested, you can look at what this guy did with the Crocodile kit - lots of amazing scratch and other upgrades for the kit.  Of course, you can always look at the Wingnut kit to see if there are any details, etc. that this particular kit may be missing.

https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=21997&p=albums&album=42324&view=list

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Those WW I a/c really weren't much more than box kites. Spruce frames and canvas?

I purchased the laser frames and the seat. The latticework seat looked beyond me (one of my parents wicker chairs we had out on the patio), so I opted for the seat. The MGs looked good, but I figured I needed to roll my own, since they don't need bending into a horseshoe, like the seat edge padding. 😁

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

37 minutes ago, Canute said:

Those WW I a/c really weren't much more than box kites. Spruce frames and canvas?

Pretty much that was it.  The engines were somewhat marvels for the times by comparison.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Until building this kit, I never realized the F.2 B had a Vickers MG hidden under the fuselage. She fired through the forward fuselage, radiator, cowl, and propeller blades vis a vis a synchronizing gear. Once the fuselage goes together, the weapon will remain pretty much hidden from view. With some amount of effort, it might be seen just above the top of the instrument panel. I have a few more minor things to add to the cockpit before joining the fuselage halves.

Note that the lucky pilot sits on top of the fuel tank! Sheesh, that must have been nerve racking all by itself, not to mention the flimsy box kite nature of construction. This pilot must have been pretty darned good to have had 25 1/2 kills in this plane, although on the other hand, with the large wing area and dihedral in the wings, it was probably a very stable gun platform. 

EC6E90F8-342C-4098-B3B3-9124ACB6B617.jpeg

4A428E08-6AD0-42B6-802F-A37ED3CE3253.jpeg

4F93F6A8-5480-4F6E-9949-87580E560426.jpeg

41C57226-7F8B-458E-BFA3-84954A48C2C2.jpeg

Edited by CDW

looks like a cool  build  Craig   - these  old  ladies  are  Fantastic  when you  see them at Airshows.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Sitting on the fuel tank? What a stench. And add the castor oil they used. A wonder the fumes didn't do them in. The pilot of this crate had 25 1/2 kills. Impressive.

Ken

On 10/21/2022 at 4:20 AM, Canute said:

Sitting on the fuel tank? What a stench. And add the castor oil they used. A wonder the fumes didn't do them in. The pilot of this crate had 25 1/2 kills. Impressive.

I'm surprised they could actually fly as much as they did.  There were reports that the Red Baron had diarrhea so bad towards the end that he could barely walk out to aircraft without an "oops".

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Growing up as a wee lad post WWII, we had a neighbor across the street from us who had flown with the Lafayette Escadrille. I remember him telling Dad about their flight instructions/training. Basically classroom instructions using those airplanes on a stick, then out to the airfield for some static instruction on controls, then you took off solo, flew around then landed. If you landed with both you and the plane in one piece, they pinned your wings on and pronounced you an aviator/pilot.  And yes he did talk about the castor oil and the post flight (sometimes in-flight) oopsies. 

I heard the same comments from Cole Palen, founder of the Olde Rhinebeck Aerodrome here, and got a whiff of the castor oil from his planes. 

Edited by Jack12477

20 minutes ago, CDW said:

I always liked the smell of castor oil in the alcohol-based fuels we used in our model airplanes. Having it splattered in my face and goggles while flying would have been quite another story.

Oh no; I never liked that spoonful of castor oil as a kid.🙂

Alan

Not ready for rigging at this time, but to prepare for it, find some cheap cotton swabs with plastic sticks. Paper sticks won’t work for this exercise. The plastic sticks are tubes. Slowly heat the plastic stick over a lit candle until it’s soft, then stretch it into a small diameter tube. Cut the stretched plastic tube into 2 or 3mm long sections. These will be used later on in the rigging process. You could alternatively use 1 or .5mm brass tubing cut into similar size pieces, but it’s harder to source small diameter brass tubing. 
You may need to practice a bit to stretch the heated plastic tube. It’s easy to over heat or over stretch it and ruin it, but it’s no big deal.

43D7DC2B-FE96-4B58-9762-51BEE7053E0F.jpeg

7397A335-F15D-453E-B50D-2F60D6FB4A3A.jpeg

5 hours ago, CDW said:

Not ready for rigging at this time, but to prepare for it, find some cheap cotton swabs with plastic sticks. Paper sticks won’t work for this exercise. The plastic sticks are tubes. Slowly heat the plastic stick over a lit candle until it’s soft, then stretch it into a small diameter tube. Cut the stretched plastic tube into 2 or 3mm long sections. These will be used later on in the rigging process. You could alternatively use 1 or .5mm brass tubing cut into similar size pieces, but it’s harder to source small diameter brass tubing. 
You may need to practice a bit to stretch the heated plastic tube. It’s easy to over heat or over stretch it and ruin it, but it’s no big deal.

43D7DC2B-FE96-4B58-9762-51BEE7053E0F.jpeg

7397A335-F15D-453E-B50D-2F60D6FB4A3A.jpeg

Intrigued with what these are for! 🤔

I create my attachment points by first stripping the insulation from fine gauge electrical wire. Then using individual strands of wire, twist them into loops as per the photos. On this model, I will need a couple dozen attachment points. I made a tool to twist the loops by bending the needle of a hypodermic syringe. The wire is too fine to do it by hand. Need a tool like this one or similar to do it.

0D44282E-C269-4F58-A1BA-2D7DC81CF34B.jpeg

46DE4EB4-D9BD-455F-BDEC-6C9296B94B2E.jpeg

DC73868B-6641-4774-BE3E-D1BE8486B42C.jpeg

36CDC7B9-29CF-4B20-8EFC-3A5350E10860.jpeg

0AD5EB18-E6A5-4364-9703-72E25B608D56.jpeg

Two attachment points will be made adjacent to each wing strut. I’ve drilled .25mm holes at each point being careful not to drill through the wing but enough to enable our twisted wire attachment points to be super glued to the wing. Now the little plastic sleeves made earlier come into play. Slide the monofilament rigging wire through a sleeve, then slide the rigging wire through the attachment point loop. Bring the wire back through the sleeve then super glue the sleeve to the wire…attachment complete. I find this method much simpler and cleaner than trying to knot the wire at the attachment point. Plus it looks pretty good after the assembly is all finished.

0520E87C-84C6-4884-947D-8CADDF7DD5CA.jpeg

F9460F73-A2D0-43F8-9431-D9F9D01A6B44.jpeg

I just saw that technique for making eyebolts at a recent RR prototype modelers meet. The commercial one are either the wrong size you need, plastic when you need metal or simply not available. Fellow used a thin needle nose pliers with similar sized wire. The plastic sleeve acting as a crimping band is a good trick. 👍

Ken

5 hours ago, CDW said:

Two attachment points will be made adjacent to each wing strut. I’ve drilled .25mm holes at each point being careful not to drill through the wing but enough to enable our twisted wire attachment points to be super glued to the wing. Now the little plastic sleeves made earlier come into play. Slide the monofilament rigging wire through a sleeve, then slide the rigging wire through the attachment point loop. Bring the wire back through the sleeve then super glue the sleeve to the wire…attachment complete. I find this method much simpler and cleaner than trying to knot the wire at the attachment point. Plus it looks pretty good after the assembly is all finished.

I use telephone extension cord wire for this (after stripping it down as I did on my M-8 HST build) it's just as thin and the sheathing makes excellent scale ferrules... A simple technique and another way to do it.... Excellent my friend!!!! If there is a will there's a way...

Gonna be spectacular

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"