Bristol F.2B WW1 Fighter by CDW - FINISHED - Eduard - 1:48 Scale

CDW

11 minutes ago, Javlin said:

That's looking real good Craig.I saw a fella I think @LSM use foam in between the wings/struts a fat piece then tape or a light rubber band.That's all the guy builds is WNW/WWI of course I think it keeps from sliding?;)

Yes, the top wing sits forward of the bottom, so it has a tendency to slide forward while under any pressure to bind the top wing to the bottom. Styrofoam could work well to maintain the correct distance between the wings. With this particular model, the cabane struts mount individually to little slots in the fuselage. Those need to first be cemented to the fuselage at the correct angles and at the right height before the two wings can be joined. Cementing them in place at the correct angles and height is tricky. If they are off at all, nothing else will fit.

I'm sorry to hear about the "old" dog as they are family.   The "new" pup looks adorable.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Sad to read of your old pup. My condolences. They new pup is a cutie. 👍

Biplanes.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

2 hours ago, CDW said:

He's a Cavapoo

That was my first guess when I saw his picture. My daughter works for a breeder (Crockett Doodles), and that's one of the 'designer dogs' they offer. I sometimes tease my daughter that back in our day they were called "mutts," but there's no denying they can be very cute.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

What I object to is people who take any two random dogs and breed them and come up with a cutesie name for the puppies, then sell them for a prince's ransom.  That said, such puppies are probably healthier than many "purebreds" with their various health issues due to inbreeding.

1 hour ago, ccoyle said:

That was my first guess when I saw his picture. My daughter works for a breeder (Crockett Doodles), and that's one of the 'designer dogs' they offer. I sometimes tease my daughter that back in our day they were called "mutts," but there's no denying they can be very cute.

Try this, Chris..... they're "Heinz 57" as my dad used to call them.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

My first dog came to me as a free pup when I was eight years old. He was a cross between a German Shepard and Collie. He was a great dog that lived until I was well into my twenties. Never sick until the end. And yes, puppies are not free anymore, generally speaking. On the other hand, if they are properly cared for, the owner will have an investment in vet expense that needs to be covered.

29 minutes ago, CDW said:

My first dog came to me as a free pup when I was eight years old. He was a cross between a German Shepard and Collie

My first dog was also a Shepherd Collie at around same age as you. Lived to be 16. My last 4 dogs were Pembroke Welsh Corgis (3 at one time).

16 hours ago, CDW said:

He's a Cavapoo, cross between a King Charles Spaniel and Toy Poodle. Until today, didn't know there was such a thing.

My sister in law has one.  Cute dogs!  Yours is really adorable.  Love the eye patch.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I've been reading a book titled "Marked for Death". It's a historical account on the evolution of aerial warfare in World War 1. It wasn't nearly as glorious and civilized as we often see it portrayed in fictional accounts of WW1 air combat. The book portrays the Red Baron as a cold-blooded killer and somewhat demented in his outlook on life, entitled to kill, being the baron that he was. I was shocked to learn that statistically the average airman had a 70% chance of either being critically wounded or killed in combat. Sadly, the workers that built the aircraft didn't fare well either, many being poisoned by the dope that was used to protect and tighten the fabric skin used to cover the airframes.

Ever wonder why two wings were used instead of one? It was simply due to the limitations of the airframe construction materials available at that period of time. Nothing else but wood and fabric were light enough to build an airframe that could sustain flight. Metallurgy of that day did not include the lightweight metallic materials we took for granted in WW2. Two wings could include box-girder construction techniques (wire bracing between the wings) that strengthened the wings to an extent that could survive the twisting effects of flight and abrupt maneuvers.  

20 minutes ago, CDW said:

It wasn't nearly as glorious and civilized as we often see it portrayed in fictional accounts of WW1 air combat.

Yep. As has been stated elsewhere, toss in the joys of flying around in a highly flammable, unarmored, unheated, unpressurized, castor oil-spewing target with no self-sealing fuel tanks, no fire suppression system, and no parachute, and you can see why the life expectancy was so short.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

1 hour ago, CDW said:

It wasn't nearly as glorious and civilized as we often see it portrayed in fictional accounts of WW1 air combat.

It's not obvious to most people but war (inclusive of ground, air, and sea) is NOT glorious and civilized.  It's miserable to say the least.  General Sherman was 1000% correct.   His entire quote:  "War is hell. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, more vengeance, more desolation."

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

That  is  looking  So  Good  mate  -   spot on.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

8 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

It's not obvious to most people but war (inclusive of ground, air, and sea) is NOT glorious and civilized.  It's miserable to say the least.  General Sherman was 1000% correct.   His entire quote:  "War is hell. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, more vengeance, more desolation."

I reminded the quote of General Lee, "It is well that war is so terrible, otherwise we should grow too fond of it."

Now that looks the way a Crate should look brother... Beautiful, like it's ready to fly right now....

Well done...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

58 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

His entire quote:  "War is hell. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, more vengeance, more desolation."

His actual quote, written in a personal letter in a May 1865 Letter to James E. Yeatman was this...

I confess without shame that I am tired & sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. Even success, the most brilliant is over dead and mangled bodies […] It is only those who have not heard a shot, nor heard the shrills & groans of the wounded & lacerated (friend or foe) that cry aloud for more blood & more vengeance, more desolation & so help me God as a man & soldier I will not strike a foe who stands unarmed & submissive before me but will say ‘Go sin no more.'

The War is Hell quote comes from 1879 in his address to the graduating class at the Michigan Military Academy.....

I’ve been where you are now and I know just how you feel. It’s entirely natural that there should beat in the breast of every one of you a hope and desire that some day you can use the skill you have acquired here.
Suppress it! You don’t know the horrible aspects of war. I’ve been through two wars and I know. I’ve seen cities and homes in ashes. I’ve seen thousands of men lying on the ground, their dead faces looking up at the skies. I tell you, war is Hell! 

There are many variations to them recited over the years and they are sometimes conflated together...

Lest we forget....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Quite right about many variations.  I just used one of the more common ones. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

39 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Lest we forget....

In 1963/1964, shortly after I graduated from College,  I had the privilege of meeting Father Hubert Schiffer S.J. one of 8 German Jesuit missionaries who survived the two atomic bombs at Hiroshima and Nagasaki in August 1945. He was a dinner guest of my parents. Father Schiffer was 8 blocks from Ground Zero in Hiroshima. His description of what he experienced and saw on that day curled the hairs on my neck and made my blood run cold. 

The news clipping and photo below, from the Internet,  show him and the pilot and his parish church amid the destruction.  Miraculously he suffered no radiation and only minor injuries, as did his fellow Jesuits. 

d7cccb55cdf2817b54b46c69e556c06e.jpg.1a583a6f741720088178ba36eeff0f88.jpg20130810_BLP507.jpg.6fc1f15ba6b569c50d98cde27b5803cd.jpg1119_ArtImg_JesuitSurvivors.jpg.f4bc18ba6dc5bb915e1f7ddf3bf5719b.jpg

Edited by Jack12477

5 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

In 1963/1964, shortly after I graduated from College,  I had the privilege of meeting Father Hubert Schiffer S.J. one of 8 German Jesuit missionaries who survived the two atomic bombs at Hiroshima and Nagasaki in August 1945. He was a dinner guest of my parents. Father Schiffer was 8 blocks from Ground Zero in Hiroshima. His description of what he experienced and saw on that day curled the hairs on my neck and made my blood run cold. 

The news clipping and photo below, from the Internet,  show him and the pilot and his parish church amid the destruction.  Miraculously he suffered no radiation and only minor injuries, as did his fellow Jesuits. 

d7cccb55cdf2817b54b46c69e556c06e.jpg.1a583a6f741720088178ba36eeff0f88.jpg20130810_BLP507.jpg.6fc1f15ba6b569c50d98cde27b5803cd.jpg1119_ArtImg_JesuitSurvivors.jpg.f4bc18ba6dc5bb915e1f7ddf3bf5719b.jpg

Did you ever hear Bishop Sheen's teaching about the atomic bomb? It stays in my mind after decades.

9 minutes ago, CDW said:

Did you ever hear Bishop Sheen's teaching about the atomic bomb? It stays in my mind after decades.

I may have but don’t recall it at moment, but I do remember what Father Schiffer himself said about its morality. 

BTW Craig, I was educated by Jesuits 

Edited by Jack12477

That explains a lot, Jack. 😁 I had Xaverians for high school.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

9 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

His description of what he experienced and saw on that day curled the hairs on my neck and made my blood run cold. 

Amen Jack....

Quote:

Looking at my photos, realized I left out some of the rigging between the fuselage and inner wing struts. Added those today.

29D76276-A7F7-43DC-B4FB-B463E7C6C212.thumb.jpeg.a91e3fbb37b5413617eea0ca3668f750.jpegB1050890-D273-477B-8A49-D4769591623F.thumb.jpeg.a2c72f8c0b61bd64c95a87a88934aad9.jpeg

Also added the rigging on the rudder and horizontal stabilizer. That's about all the rigging I care to do today. Maybe I'll tackle a little more this evening depending on Mo (motivation).

9CC2E9E4-76C9-4045-9A42-CF9B0FA3FDDA.thumb.jpeg.0902b904ce3e40a00c6c9021a21c14a6.jpeg

Edited by CDW

That rigging looks beautiful Craig - spot on man!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Beautiful model. The green finish is spectacular and the rigging gives that busy look which is typical of these biplanes, I love it.

Cheers,

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart