All our problems are solved: post your dodgy solutions

Go to solution Solved by Kolvir,

From The American magazine, August 1920. Part of an article on productivity in the workforce.

Please note: THE VIEWS EXPRESSED BELOW DO NOT REPRESENT THE VIEWS OF THE VERY TIMID POSTER!!!!!!

image.png.f1226ddb57b2ac62e8816360b6a6ea8b.png

Any complaints, I will claim to have been hacked. And I was out of town. 

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Bruce, I think the safest thing is to head to the bunker and stay put.   Don't move, don't speak, barely breathe.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Speaking of accidental fires, I love this story from Bob Mortimer on "Would I lie to You?". This man has done things nobody would believe, so it became a saying on WILTY I don't believe it, but if Bob says it, it's probably true."

42 minutes ago, Louie da fly said:

Speaking of accidental fires, I ...

...once set fire to my left foot and had to stomp it out with my right foot. 

True story. 

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

9 hours ago, bruce d said:

Any complaints, I will claim to have been hacked. And I was out of town. 

I’m sure glad the Admiral doesn’t have access to this forum. She’d swear that I posted this under a different name. 

…as I type this nervously looking over my shoulder. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                  Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                                HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                                     King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                                       Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                                  USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

Speaking of dodgy solutions, that Chinese spy balloon flew right over my farm this afternoon. Don't get political, I just thought it was fascinating to see a world event right overhead in the middle of rural Missouri. Darned thing shone like a star in the sky. Posted a YouTube video: 

Another 'what-could-go-wrong?' idea from 1940.

33-1c20d5e9d5.jpg

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

Popular Mechanix, 1940:

299646295_cat(2).jpg.8c2b39905cfb02409c20182d900ac5f9.jpg

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

When I read this correctly, then only plans for 'ground trainers' are offered, which I would interpret as non-flying - would reduce the risk considerably.

I am not into flying, but seem to remember having read that in the 1930s and even into the 1950s glider enthusiast build their own gliders - the Wasserkuppe mountain in Germany was one of the centres for glider flying at the time. 

And you can see various videos on YouTube etc. where people built oversized 'drones' and fly with them (of course they are not drone anymore then ...). Due to tight airspace-regulations and a lack of free space this seems to happen more in remote areas and not in Europe.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

• 2 months later...

image-A39cGqknTsLt1KhM.jpg.fe31c13870aafd641395d3b336a2b64f.jpg

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

• 2 weeks later...

poorly-aged-stuff-pics-3-644bb3cb10146__700.jpg.4a6a054ed5355361105415b686a9472c.jpg1568717599743311872-png__700.jpg.bec3662f10fe953a0fefddc9c5ba8cff.jpg1573368684361682944-png__700.jpg.808078d6f0f09760dfd142155c705376.jpg1583472551203741698-png__700.jpg.79da7a2e4b992c6989fca2566f1258dc.jpg1621012845327699969-png__700.jpg.bbde2a942821f42753dada15f7814090.jpg

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

Edit: Oops, meant to post this in the Jokes thread. Oh well, this could function as a dodgy solution, too! I'm going to cross-post it where I meant to, anyway, sorry if you end up reading this twice.

Real conversation between my wife and I recently, edited for clarity and brevity. Background context is that we log and mill lumber on our rural property and are preparing for another round of milling later this week. We both also love puns.

Wife: Are you going to cut up that basswood that fell across the creek?

Me: It'd make sense, it's good model wood.

Wife: You could also go to the pond and catch some bass. Can you compress fish into building material like you can recycled plastic lumber?

Me: That kind of basswood would be even better for scale modeling!

Edited by Cathead

Popular Mechanics, October 1936. Perhaps the Hindenburg disaster was due to fumigation before those pesky customs inspectors?

image.png.3556e2c245ea5e7ff967fffaadf3e379.png

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

Same issue of Popular Mechanics as above:

image.png.36254d062077a54c9c20b4dfdb4e2bad.png

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

Those are definitely dodgy solutions, Bruce.  I do remember hearing about the digging a hole for oil, the burning of tires, but others are bit surprising.   Well, maybe not the cocaine toothache drops back then as it seems it was used for many "aches and pains" in a lot of patent medicines.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

31 minutes ago, Jim Lad said:

Nothing like a bit of major air pollution to protect from frost!

John

And of course to enhance the quality of the fruit. 

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

I recall seeing a bottle of Radium salts emulsion that you were supposed to drink for upset stomach - about 1915. But Radium taken orally causes stomach cancer.

Before the Food and Drug Administration was established a lot of useless and dangerous "medicines" were sold. I remember when the FDA stopped the sale of Carter's Little Liver Pills. Research showed they did nothing for the liver.

My favorite was "Qzarko." I remember it from my childhood. It was a black foul smelling liquid that was an instant cure for athlete's foot, ringworm and other skin fungal infections. It was a mixture of coal tar in rubbing alcohol  that was bottled in my home town. I always imagined some guy stirring it with a 2x4 in a 50 gallon drum in his basement. Coal tar is a very effective antimicrobial agent, but, unfortunately, it causes cancer.

Edited by Dr PR

Popular Science, January 1920. 

image.png.5a0368323e9ab96ff74454c1f0e20095.png

image.thumb.png.9a327d32f386db1b166c636e2652c12d.png

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

At least there should have been a shut-off valve just after the T-junction. Having the gas-pressure on the hose is not a good idea at all  ☠️  ... and nothing to prevent the flame from going back into the hose 🫣

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Where do I begin?

HARDWARE Journal, 1897:

image.png.6179a252bf5c816730df9832f0f9684b.png

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

• 3 weeks later...

8-64702905d5815__700.jpg.cb6052a76d785175e513533b623686e0.jpg9

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

4 minutes ago, wefalck said:

Yes, but if there were several guys walking close to each other they would leave multiple traces ...

Ahhhh, the old 'herd disguise'!

I wonder what is the collective noun for moonshiners?

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds: