Veritas Miniature Shooting Plane and Shooting Board Set from Lee Valley Tools

Go to solution Solved by Jack12477,

Just got the Lee Valley Christmas Catalog in today's mail and Wow they've added another miniature tool set to the excellent line of functional miniature tools. Thought you all might like a look-see! I already know what's on my Christmas List. 😁😁😁😁😁😇

BTW I have their entire miniature collection and use them frequently and not just for model work.

Lee Valley 2022 Christmas Catalog

Shooting Board       $25.50    

Right hand shooting plane   $79.50  ( both for $89.00)

Damn Jack, I thought I'd be safe just putting Winchelsea chapters on my Xmas list.....😅

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

2 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

Damn Jack, I thought I'd be safe just putting Winchelsea chapters on my Xmas list.....😅

Looks like the Chancellor of Exchequer must be consulted. 😉😉😉😊

17 hours ago, druxey said:

More toys!!!!

Isn't the rational that he who dies with the most tools, wins?   Not sure what the reward is though for having the most.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• Solution

Hi Jack. Since you have  all of their tools do you also have there Miniature  Bench Vise? If so have you built a small wood working bench and mounted it? Just wanted to see how and on what you using your tool's on. Working on making a miniature work surface so it can be clamped to my work bench. Thank you Gary

Hi Gary, yes I have their miniature bench vise but the bench vise is the only thing I have not used yet. I also bought their miniature work top with accessories and have been using it. I'm still debating how and to what I want to mount the bench vise. I've been mulling over in my head whether I want to add legs to the mini work top and mount the vise underneath it or keep the current one unchanged, it works nicely on workbench as is, and buy a 2nd mini worktop to modify for the vise. As it stands there is not enough clearance to add the vise without adding legs. My other consideration is to build a small table like the one shown in the Lee Valley video of the two guys using their miniature tools to make a tooth pick 😳 😅 

Right now RL is getting in the way. 

My Veritas  miniature work top.

IMG_2022-03-22-13-08-53-706.thumb.jpg.0326f3775415b196fad239c1cb22e70e.jpgIMG_2021-12-25-19-23-02-665.thumb.jpg.3680fa9398873c31eebc2f3f17d2e0f2.jpg

Lee Valley video screenshot with bench vise

1129566354_Screenshot_20210320-084035_VideoPlayer.thumb.jpg.cb28176fce54c515e56d70313f27d3f2.jpg05P8601-veritas-miniature-bench-vise-u-0016.thumb.jpg.bc57292bcfab5906b0b348ceda15bad2.jpg

Edited by Jack12477

Thanks Jack.  These small tool's might take me a bit to get used to due to most of mine being on the large size. I do have a very small plane made by stanley which I use all the time and is kept quite sharp. Help's make quick work of trimming plank's.  Gary

I find their miniature block plane and edge plane very useful for that. You might want to consider using their mini work top as a starting point since it is already predrilled for their bench dogs and hold downs. 

Edited by Jack12477

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2022 at 2:28 PM, claybaker said:

Now I feel bad. Got mine last week. Haven’t played with it though. 

On 11/10/2022 at 9:05 PM, Jack12477 said:

Arrived today

What do you guys think of the shooting plane?  Wondering how much I would use it, but you know, need to tell Santa what I want for Christmas...

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I haven’t used mine yet ! But given that I tried to make a full size shooting board that sort of works with their pocket plane and larger bench plane, I think this will work much better for me on smaller dimension wood like kit planks etc. I still have two antique ice boat models on the drawing board I want to build in scale like the previous one, 1888 Rocket (link in signature). 

I have not been disappointed with any of the Veritas miniature tools I've purchased thus far.  They are well made and very sharp right out of box.

• 1 month later...

The bearded guy in the red union suit dropped this off the other night. Got a chance to play around with it. Works very smoothly, attaches nicely to the Veritas mini work table. Workmanship is superb as always. Well worth the investment

IMG_2022-12-27-19-43-22-487.thumb.jpg.b8c02a9639fee8b2d9d4b35814773d50.jpg

I wasn't too keen on the utility of this tool at first, but looking at it in a "working" environment I can see a lot of utility for angled cut "sweetening" by using some accurate angle fixtures. up against the stop. 

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

The shooting board has a bench hook on the underside. I recommend getting the shooting plane/board package as well as the miniature work table with bench dogs.

Some photos of my setup

20221230_094533.thumb.jpg.1456d9760bf7656fce4f2eb0cb56c2f9.jpg20221230_100423.thumb.jpg.4e15f172b73611c1d1286123c6db16b6.jpg20221230_100437.thumb.jpg.dd97986787fe6c6547d857176f3c7100.jpg

Got the miniature work table last year. Been handy for several projects. My Northwest Shortline Choppers ( for cutting wood and plastic strips) have standard angles of 30, 45 and 60 degrees that are as small as the Veritas units. This will work out nicely, Jack. 👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild