Jylland by kruginmi - Billings Boats - 1:100

Wow, Anders - again you are giving new information.  I followed the link but am at a loss given the language difference.  I have no idea if they ship internationally, the cost to do so or how to navigate the menu options.  I will work on a solution.

I know your picks will show my best attempt at placing the cannon ports will be off somewhat.  I did what I could with the information I had.

Mark

Big day today in the life of this model - it gets the holes for masts to allow those dramatic side shots:

119771999_Log33(a).JPG.9ee8bb5620e8b12508738dc703b40f99.JPG

Now the 'masts' seen are from the original kit and will not be used.  They were available and a consistent diameter less than the target masts so why not.  I did need them to insure I had everything in alignment when sighting down the center line.

First step was to attach the all important blocking for support and strength.

471365736_Log33(b).JPG.b94dc336ab80ea8e9dd1a8013fcc28b5.JPG

Then securing to the ship stand and verifying level I got it on the drill press.  I actually drilled twice.  The first was with a smaller diameter hole to verify all was right before I enlarged with a second round.

1650060303_Log33(c).JPG.0b18d5a2a8147a8e6ae8656f078e1478.JPG

The moment of truth was when you sighted down all three 'masts' while looking at the hull.  This alignment is beyond me with the camera so you have the closest I can get.

1651494838_Log33(d).JPG.9c55ce89ef501b7b0c42fc96cc27de5f.JPG

Everything looks good.  When I get the backings on the gun ports I can start planking again.  I do need to have a look at the cathead's.   I do not have them on my plans and need to insure they are still possible haha.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Back on to the gun deck cannon backing pieces.  Should have these completed this weekend and I am thinking carving of the stern blocks will start.

It has been a bit of time since the last update.  I had to shift focus onto a second project that jumped in priority.  I left a small hint in the attached photo of what that could be.  Let me see who can figure it out....

Log34.JPG.b870f1438680e1b404a951ed546cc16b.JPG

Only the smartest will figure it out.  Let's get to that inner planking (did I say too much there?)

Mark

Did I guess it right? 😉

IMG_20230218_180536.jpg

Leo Moons

Nous sommes condamnés à être libre

Present build: Cutty Sark by Sergal/Mantua 1:78

Previous builds:

- Collie by Graupner RC Sailing boat

- Blue Nose II by Billing Boats

- Harvey by Artesania Latina

- Oceanic by Revell RC Tugboat

- Thyssen II by Graupner RC Pushing boat

Mark,

Feel free to do a log on that aircraft in the Non-Ship Model area.  Looks familiar but mentally I can't come up with a name/type.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I picked up a 1/96 propeller and lifting frame from Cottage Industries targeted for the Revell CSS Alabama for not too much money.  Not an exact match but better than the kit supplied one:

Log35(a).JPG.e240b48faa811ea5d8916ef43d1ce795.JPG

With some filing and shaping I could do something with that.  I wish I had the lifting frame when I built out the prop area but I think I could modify to make it fit.  Not too far out whack for what I see in pictures of the actual ship.

Log35(c).JPG.dc769172b0f9f91c273f422e1f2c5ae4.JPG

When you put both together I have a good starting point for some filing and tweaking, on both the ship and supplied pieces.  I will not have the lifting component actually rigged in to raise, but it will look the part.

Log35(b).JPG.44c1d8a32b32c075608558bfd7235de2.JPG

See how it looks.  Always have the option to go to plan B and use the original (let alone scratch something up).

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

How do you plank a ship?  Well, the basic answer (and a philosophical one) is by adding one plank at a time.

Log36.thumb.JPG.504e3a97b2410f163e2c3c138c69c80f.JPG

In this picture the new plank has been soaked in very hot water, put in place and is being allowed to dry in place.  Once dry enough I will add glue and affix in much the same way (however with much less stress).

Mark

Almost (significant) disaster!  I can chuckle now.  With my meat hook fingers and 6'3" frame I was working the next plank section in - with the hull supported by only the foam base it sits on.  Well......CRACK!

The extended bulwark is currently a 1/16" piece of basswood minimally supported across the length of the ship.  Well with the force I was applying it separated at the mid-section join (actually thankfully) then cracked going forward for 4-6 inches.  Turning the ship upright the bulwark essentially sprang back into shape.  I re-glued the join and then also into the crack seen when I flexed the bulwark.  No lasting damage done - phew.

However, this tells me it is time to add the stanchions and the inner bulwark for support.  I will listen and switch gears. 

Mark

On to the inner bulwark and framing.  This is a bit hard to capture on camera given that the outer bulwark has a bit of a tumblehome but the inner bulwark is perpendicular to the deck.  This tumblehome also changes so no mass producing of stanchions.  This can be seen at the mid deck port.

Log37(5).JPG.fb4c82daceb2b0a0bc2591a971594b39.JPG

My calculations showed a target of 5/32" at the cap.  Given the 1/16" outer and 1/32" inner, that left 1/16" of stanchion post exposed at the cap.

For the rear, this tumblehome was about 1/8" over the height of the bulwark.  Using my Byrnes Saw with sled really helped.  I used 3/32" bass as the width of the stanchions.  For safety and hold, I used a strip of 3/32" at the proper height.  On the edge I cut the proposed angle and tested it in position.  Adjusting as necessary until it fit against the outer bulwark well.

Log37(2).JPG.bc2742d8bd0cd15c4fcfe905b6c3309c.JPGLog37(3).JPG.aae7b8373a7c271cb93c972530fbb0db.JPG

The 1/16"spacing was then added at the top of the stanchion, a perpendicular to the base line drawn and the stanchion cut out.  Lather, rinse and repeat.  This takes some time and I have thrown out a few which just didn't turn out.  Find your groove, put some nice classical music on and just do it.

The  presence of the 4 gun ports necessitated some additional care.  I did create a port spacing template to insure the openings where exact across the entire deck.  I still need to add the upper and lower beams for each - as well as cut the openings out in the outer bulwark prior to installing the inner bulwark.

I added 1/16" stringers between the stanchions at both top and bottom for better support of the inner bulwark.

Log37(6).JPG.d55f6c8ba557122483c870614825668c.JPG

The shame is that once I put on the inner bulwark none of this will be seen (and very little people will understand the work required).  Our fate in life.

Log37(7).JPG.30219c3a97d95da9ffa47e3b8c65f03c.JPG

I can state this significantly strengthens the bulwarks.

Mark

A critical part at this juncture is to make sure the cannon ports are the correct height for the cannons.  I needed to compensate for the lack of a deck and attached wheels but everything checked out with the plans.  Also the first time I dug a cannon out of the kit and actually looked at them.

Log38(1).JPG.8ed0784a21d75e40a4f756304b6395c6.JPG

Once the framework was done on for the inner bulkhead, the ports needed to be cut out of the outer bulwark.  This allowed the inner wall to be glued on and then the gunport hole cut out repeated on the inner.  I used a drill to identify the corners, sliced through on the opposite side with a sharp knife, then used a riffler file to fine tune.

Log38(2).JPG.7f0865e168b5740c593f8ce49facef24.JPGLog38(4).JPG.857bc4ebb8631296ea4e1c87b8e64a30.JPG

Log38(5).JPG.91da4f3e0b1612027685b0d1aa8b772f.JPG

This whole process was then repeated on the opposing side bulwark.

Log38(6).JPG.97bb9b6cee2c7d9b20b701163a0d5ef0.JPG

I am now half way there!  Two more stretches of bulwark each with (again) four gun ports.  The interesting wrinkly coming up is that the bulwark flairs to the outside by the fore deck.  The middle section of the bulwark will become just a constant 1/16".  It takes time but really looks pretty cool.  I am happy.

Mark

Anders:  Give me some good guidance on the catheads.  I do not have any really good picture of them.  It does not look like they appear on the main deck (through the inner bulwarks).  My best guess at this point is into the outer side bulwarks,  with half visible as it descends to deck level.  I would appreciate the help.

At this point I would also have to make my best guess as to the angle and length of projection.

Mark

Thanks so much Anders.  The postcard answered the one question of whether it was a knee  below or single piece.  I will 'assume' the rest of the knee was internal to the bulkhead (none visible on deck).

With the outer tumblehome and inner perpendicular, I am getting variable thicknesses for the gun ports.  The forward ones will be the thinnest since they are consistently 5/16" top to bottom.  The aft ones could add 1/8".

I just picked up a plastic U cap to put on top of the bulkhead (picture provided when I get downstairs).  As for the decoration, not sure how (of if) I will attempt for this build.

Mark

Edited by kruginmi
Note on cannons

Well this takes some time, but the end result is pretty nice.  This is the stbd forward section.  If you look closely you see the change from 1/16" inner thickness top to bottom at the forward end, to double that at the far end at the deck level only.

I still need to cut out the external gun port, put on the inner skin, then cut the internal four gun port openings.

Going on a family holiday so I will check in from afar for the next bit of time.

Mark

IMG_5003.JPG.41c1521d4c2f2e81140aecd479623a19.JPG

Edited by kruginmi

Mark, the Jylland is coming along nicely. Enjoy the time with your family, those together times are far too few. 

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, back in operation.  Finished up all the bulwarks.  This took some time but happy with the result.  Again, curved exterior to match the tumblehome but interior perpendicular to deck.  5/32" exposure at top, variable (5/32" to 9/32") at base.  Access port towards midships not cut out at this time for strength of total bulwark as I plank the bottom and have the ship inverted occasionally.

Log40(A).JPG.a1ebbc5ea08f9def666dcf922f90ca83.JPGLog40(B).JPG.36f66fb3145bccc9efdd722faf368810.JPG

The caprail is a plastic u-channel piece that will be glued on later.

Log40(D).JPG.c9c68803091d73d132b16783f876eee0.JPGLog40(C).JPG.1d2f4536e00844409d87fd3d9f979343.JPG

Finally getting back to the business at hand - closing up the hull.

Log40(E).JPG.86c5ca930eed5abfdd7bbdb4c96aa2e9.JPG

Temperatures are sure warming up out there but still pressing on to start sanding / filling / sanding the hull.

Mark

I hit a bit of a milestone today.  Still have a couple of gaps to fill and the stern blocks to shape and affix, but the hull has been largely closed up.  Below the waterline will be a smooth surface, above will be a 2nd planking with veneer.  Lots of sanding but it is good to have a rock solid hull in your grasp.

Log41(2).JPG.476f587ca0b8c240c0b21701c33d442e.JPGLog41(1).JPG.d3494601e59d9b7e887ac0b155c215d7.JPG

Well, got those stern blocks (2 each side) affixed and shaped.  A large file for the bulk, then down to sandpaper for tuning.  Probably still some more subtle shaping left to do.

Log42(2).JPG.dbe11bd189685d5c969f2c991ced9e62.JPG

With that all the stealers / shaped fillers / blocks are all attached.  Now for sanding and more sanding prior to applying a sealer than primer.  Above the waterline will be veneer planked.

Log42(3).JPG.d8b91c21da7fea77e80b39e1a9dc06f6.JPGLog42(1).JPG.c2016a6597efcde618b0230e6438fda9.JPG

Funny story:  looking at the pic of the port side, rear gun port.  Yah, never finished that.  Cutting it out won't be that bad, it is just adding the backing plate would have been so much easier reaching in the hull.  I have to laugh.

Mark

Wax on - Wax off.....
Got the Starboard side slathered up with wood filler (not Elmers Glue-All) and then after a day or two, sanded most of it off.  Hull feels silky smooth.  Maybe a couple of touch up points but will probably seal and prime first for better visibility.  That filler sure is a fine talcum powderish dust when sanding.  Good ventilation is a must.  I stood in the middle of my front yard with a good breeze going.

Log43(1).JPG.c7fb4eff1b2df1df4f2bd5d172079315.JPGLog43(2).JPG.9e098e34201cf93b7ff13e5a9d07c8c2.JPG

Stern side up next then position the catheads / brace finally the fore and aft deck house bulkheads.

Mark

Edited by kruginmi

Question:  New area for me - looking to paint below the waterline and veneer plank above.  What are the recommendations for sealer and/or primer?  Lots of choices out there.  Anyone give me lessons learned or solid guidance?

Enough with the full length hull shots already!  Well, how about one more.

Filled and sanded the port side (for clarity, the pic shows it not sanded LOL).

Log44(1).JPG.f6002db2d82745837e46cbb758c67ed4.JPG

While I had the filler out I looked at the bottom of the keel as well as stem.  I had laminated basswood over the original and that was exactly how it looked, so masked off and wood filled that area also.  Prime goal was to clean up the head on shot.

Log44(2).JPG.62687ecf1919f8a20941f664668e52f2.JPG

Now need to get the rudder hole drilled out and define the catheads.

Mark

I should mention I do plastic vacuform planes on the side.  I have an airbrush and primarily use acrylics for this.  Just scratching my head for what is best for wood as well as handling after the paint is complete. 

Thinking a non-acrylic primer with the patina added with acrylics.  This would be followed by a non-acrylic varnish.  One concern is that the veneer needs to be glued over the primer.  I would prefer not using super glue.

Mark

WIth Spring comes many requirements on your time.

I worked out the catheads laminating 10 pieces of wood.  7/32 of an inch.  Still need to create the sheaves (will use plastic rod).  I have one other one as a prototype to determine the angle and length to the hull.  This will go through the outer bulwark and secure to the inner for strength.

Log45.jpg.950e6aa7c57cc0c5905d3d1d63c8873c.jpg

Catheads and braces, along with hawse holes in place.

Log46.jpg.107106f8ceb1860c244fe35d0f28c617.jpg

Now to define the dividing line to the copper plates.  Additionally will pencil in faux bulkheads every 5 feet (every 5/8 inches) from this line to top of bulwark.  This will allow me to stagger the joints of the 2nd planking.  Still need to figure out the width of the planks themselves.  Looks like 4 rows per gunport  is an estimate.  Question is, do I do 2 rows to make it look better at scale.

Log46b.jpg.9d24e0270efbd0b79419fa24b5c9d4f5.jpgLog46c.JPG.bf8c08f0586a2aa043658aabb4dcd78b.JPG

Mark

p.s.  Need to identify the locations of the vertical posts.  Might be better to add prior to 2nd layer planking.

Next step was to mark the copper line.  Put the ship back into the building slip and (gently) ran a fixed pencil line at the appropriate level.  The copper section will be replicated using just paint.  The upper section will be planked with veneer.

Log47(2).JPG.38696701dbbcecb6a69b1b2943865d01.JPG

I then marked ribs at 5 foot scale intervals.  This will allow me to align the plank ends up.  Probably going with 15 foot scale plank lengths.Log47(3).JPG.ac2b3e9974448096cc37cf3c4ccc9b8b.JPG

To finish everything off I marked off the chain plates.  These will be built next and keyed into the hull for strength.  One of the bonuses of double planking is that the planking can effectively cover up any joins.

Log47(4).JPG.4f4d6720527cc1440b312c37dda7cce8.JPGLog47(1).JPG.c981cbcfcfa61cbe91f49f485f3618bc.JPG

The hawse hole rings are currently press fit and can be removed easily.  Just having fun.

Mark

After slicing the tip of my thumb off (not even hobby related) back to getting the chain plates on so I can start the second planking.

For strength I like to key them in.  A little more work but I think worth it.  First step was to sand the facing edge flush against the hull side.  Important step is to get all the bevels correct so chain plate parallel to waterline and not perpendicular to hull.

Log48(A).JPG.f4f12224cebfd81c808e5469d0da3a72.JPG

I can still work the mating surface for an even better fit but keep remembering there is still a veneer planking which will cover the entire joint.

Log48(B).JPG.e9781d9aecbacc4d6d68177ac7c50dd3.JPG

Mark