Fokker E.V by ccoyle - FINISHED - Kartonowa Kolekcja - 1/33 - CARD

ccoyle

Okay, USS England has been put on hold for a bit while I wait for some materials and explore the possibility of acquiring some more 3D-printed parts. So, instead of sitting around waiting for stuff to happen, I decided to start another model. I didn't want to start something too complex, because I will be departing for California for two weeks during Christmas break, and I'm hoping to knock this out before then.

You may know the Fokker E.V "flying razor" better as the D.VIII; the latter designation was assigned after some improvements were made to the original E.V. The type arrived at the front in late 1918 and served in small numbers. They were used by the Polish Air Force after the war.

Not too much to say about the kit -- it is another outstanding model from Kartonowa Kolekcja. This will be my 5th KK kit. The glossy cover features artwork by the designer, Pawel Mistewicz.

ev01.thumb.jpg.d8115947da33e134111400cb43e44716.jpg

The kit can be built in four different liveries. KK seems to always build the prototype model in my favorite livery, so I will be building the mount of Erich Loewenhardt..

ev02.thumb.jpg.86c801ecf157d5fd9930ea56a0401be6.jpg

Excellent printing with a nice touch of weathering on four sheets of parts. As usual, there are options for simpler or more detailed elements.

ev03.thumb.jpg.c10e6813cd97cb57fac6e3066143358a.jpg

KK diagrams are among the best in the business.

ev04.thumb.jpg.27ad00f7aa825a995d326c64cd38798a.jpg

I also have the laser cut elements.

ev05.thumb.jpg.7407ffb0ede72a89a17453eef6ea9199.jpg

Upwards and onward!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Ah, those darn airplanes… hard to stay away. 😆 I have a plastic and a couple metal kits that I hear in the closet. But I say “no”. 😆 I’ll watch! 👍

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

I'm in, this is one I looked at but it was out of stock so I got the Pup.

It's still out of stock at draf models😔

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

I'm here my friend... you know I won't miss this...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

First bits glued together. First I have a shot here of a parts page with some structural parts cut out.

ev06.thumb.jpg.13c2b62c0001db8c67b075396df49dcf.jpg

Exciting, right? Actually, I included this shot to show the unwary newbie cardist one of the potential pitfalls of card modeling. The parts on this sheet marked with an asterisk are meant to be glued to 1 mm cardboard before cutting out -- unless, of course, one buys the laser-cut frames set. But, if one glues the entire printed structural part (the beige part) to its laser-cut counterpart, the laminated part will be too thick and cause fit problems later. The solution? Cut out and use only the colored portions of the parts, i.e., the parts that will show on the finished model. Here's what that looks like:

ev07.thumb.jpg.b6a068acb02f70e132d6e30c7335935b.jpg

All of the three-dimensional parts you see in that photo are printed in 2D on the interior cockpit skins; that gives the builder the option of a simplified construction sequence. Adding the optional 3D parts for this model is not difficult because of the low parts count.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Chris,

You’re a bad influence on me!

Seriously though, looking forward to this build!  Nice start!

Your card builds are excellent!

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

36 minutes ago, Dazliare said:

Another card model from the master! Where do you find KK kits? This is a brand I'm not familiar with

I order them from Poland, though not directly from KK (they don't ship to the US).

http://kartonowa.pl/?kartonowa-kolekcja,14

Now on to a couple of shots of the closed-up cockpit and fuselage structure. My old, old phone ran out of charge this afternoon and was on the charger while I assembled this, so no good cockpit interior shots -- sorry! Once the cockpit is closed, the remaining fuselage structure goes together quite quickly. Next task will be fuselage skinning.

ev08.thumb.jpg.e7f271093554228ea97d0d358a375c1a.jpg

ev09.thumb.jpg.a6a230f685c2881a474f191f4f0d73e9.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

so cool!  I'm currently working on it's cousin the Fokker D VIII :D   love the looks of her ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I'd love to try camo work like that........'fraid I don't have the patience :(   most planes rolled off the assembly line with that camo......it wasn't till they hit the field,  that they got 'dolled' up ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

12 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I'd love to try camo work like that

https://www.mmodelstore.com/aviattic-4and5colorlozenge-128scale.aspx

EDIT: @popeye the sailor After I went to bed, I remembered that your D.VIII is not 1/28 scale. You still might be able to find some lozenge camo fabric by searching for coverings for RC planes.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Tail skid skinned and guns added -- no sights yet.

ev14.thumb.jpg.e04cb223fe2b19804a2b27c03e694570.jpg

EDIT: I should add that KK offers a laser-cut set for the Spandau guns. I haven't used them on this model, and I have to wonder how useful they would be -- I imagine that rolling the cooling jackets would be a nightmare, since I have found, with other models, that the card used for laser-cut details typically doesn't fold or roll well.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Amazing work.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Oberursel UR.II engine. The E.V was actually designed to take a more powerful engine, but the new powerplant was not available in time for production, so the older UR.II was used. Still, the E.V was light enough that the older engine was able to produce a top speed of 127 mph.

ev15.jpg.46192ffa1ed87fa6263a12e9343fe48d.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

OMG!!!!  you didn't go to bed and dream about me did you?!?!?!  poor man..........must have woke up in a cold sweat! :)  :D   yep.......I am aware that there are decals for this camo.  I'd be concerned about time.......cracking shrinkage and peeling.......I wonder if there's a way to paint it on.  something to think about :) 

really spiffy progress........she's look'in super!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

They have a 1/32 mask for this camo

2651_rd.jpg

she's looking smart Chris 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Hi Chris,

Love the Fokker E.V and your project. They certainly make a nice model in paper. The nice thing about lozenge camouflage is that it's not on the wing! Have you seen the one in Rhinebeck NY? Flies with a 160 Gnome. Probably more in keeping with what Fokker had in mind for that aeroplane, rather than the UR.II.

Cheers

I have probably seen pictures of it. I didn't realize that the Old Rheinbeck Aerodrome was in New York -- I just assumed it was in Europe somewhere. 😬  I've never been to New York. 😬😬

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

17 minutes ago, Flambeaux said:

Hi Chris,

Love the Fokker E.V and your project. They certainly make a nice model in paper. The nice thing about lozenge camouflage is that it's not on the wing! Have you seen the one in Rhinebeck NY? Flies with a 160 Gnome. Probably more in keeping with what Fokker had in mind for that aeroplane, rather than the UR.II.

Cheers

although some planes had it all over.

http://www.landships.info/landships/models.html#

Jan

I read an article about the camo.  early planes had it painted on,  but with the concern that the added paint might put more weight on the plane,  it was decided to make the canvas with the camo printed on.  they would roll off the assembly line with that camo design.......either a four or five color pattern.

Lozenge camouflage pattern | The Aerofile

nice job Chris.  I've been researching the shape of the ailerons........your picture is a huge help!   looking really good!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

3 hours ago, ccoyle said:

I have probably seen pictures of it. I didn't realize that the Old Rheinbeck Aerodrome was in New York -- I just assumed it was in Europe somewhere. 😬  I've never been to New York. 😬😬

I live 14 miles from the Aerodrome,  just across the Hudson River. Been there many many times. Very worthwhile visiting, especially the airshow on weekends. It was founded by Cole Palen, who hand-built the first Fokker replica for their airshow. It's in their museum. Cole used to fly it and created/portrayed the character Black Baron for the show. Met him on a number of occasions, great guy. 

Olde Rhinebeck Aerodrome

Edited by Jack12477

5 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

I live 14 miles from the Aerodrome,  just across the Hudson River. Been there many many times. Very worthwhile visiting, especially the airshow on weekends. It was founded by Cole Palen, who hand-built the first Fokker replica for their airshow. It's in their museum. Cole used to fly it and created/portrayed the character Black Baron for the show. Met him on a number of occasions, great guy. 

Olde Rhinebeck Aerodrome

I met Cole as well, in 1986 at the RC model Jamboree held in September. First class guy for sure. I rode Amtrak from Tampa to the Rhinecliff rail station and then took a cab (no Uber then) to my motel, then walked 6 miles the next morning to the Aerodrome! 

Moving quickly along . . .

The wing was finished off by the addition of ailerons and control horns with their cables. Struts were made by wrapping the paper parts around 0.020" steel rod, then glued to the fuselage. Finally, the wing was mounted, bringing the model to its present state.

ev19.thumb.jpg.47dcf7444c52837cba0e40f8fb6ce984.jpg

For future reference, I should note that some of the struts, both for wings and for undercarriage, appear to have been misnumbered when compared to the diagrams, but a careful study of the diagrams reveals their correct placement on the model.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

superb workmanship Chris! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: