Sloop Speedwell by Chuck - Ketch Rigged Sloop, 1752 - POF

Sigh…I don’t want to like this model with my head still down on Winchelsea, yet I’m sure it too is in my future.  It just keeps getting more enticing with every post. So creatively mastered. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Very nice work there Chuck.  Great to see the introduction of new media and alternate methods in your development of these new kits.

Kudos.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thank You...

With the framing almost completed I was able to finalize all of the master carvings.  I did the final prep work for casting.   They will be sent off to be cast in a light tan like the Winnie carvings.   I hope they can get some sets to me soon.

Here is a look at the quarter badges.  They are quite small actually.  I will let my casting guys alter these because there are some areas that wont cast well.  For example under arms of those tiny reclining figures.   Those open areas will need to filled in order to cast these.   

quarterbadges.jpg

They will do the trick.   You guys will be so surprised at so small these are even for 3/8" scale.  The model is a big girl however at nearly the same length as the Winnie.  Just a wee bit shorter.  But very narrow at the stern which gives it that beautiful elegant shape.

Yes and I hand worked it to clean it up a bit and sharpen some details.   But these are 3D printed.

Chuck

Hi  Chuck, this is all amazing work.  Do you plan to offer this kit in stages or batches as it were, so if one wanted to build it navy board style, it could be done without having to get all the mast and rigging parts?

Rick

Current Build: MS Mayflower II

Completed: MS USF EssexMS USS Constitution Cross SectionMS 18th Century Armed Longboat  

Yes it will be sold just like the Winnie in Chapter sets.   There are far too many parts to make a complete kit all at once.   The framing that you see below (once its completed)  will comprise the first two chapters.   Although its a lot of parts still and I may break that into three chapter sets.   

Then others will follow.  Keep in mind that because of its size and complexity this will not be a cheap project.   Its almost the exact same size as the Vanguard Indy kit.  She is a big girl.   But this has so many more parts so you can get an idea of where this project may end up cost-wise.  Figure in the range of "2 large".  I wont know how much until its all done so its impossible for me to put a number on it....but just figure what it costs for the Indy and add a little bit more.  I say this because I dont want anyone to start this project and be surprised by the cost as it continues.   

I am quite the terrible salesperson...but I am just being up front with you guys.  This isnt being made in China so its going to be expensive to manufacture.  Its not a project that can be rushed.   So buying chapter sets over time is the best way to go.

quarterpiece3.jpg

Chuck, thanks for the quick response and it was what I assumed.  And I fully expected that this will be a pricy project.  There's just too much quality material and work here for it not to be - but it's well deserved!   I have a couple of projects in mind first to gain skills (one being your Confederacy), and in the meantime I'll be "saving up" for this!  😀

Thanks!

Rick

Current Build: MS Mayflower II

Completed: MS USF EssexMS USS Constitution Cross SectionMS 18th Century Armed Longboat  

Head to toe size comparison with the Winnie…

Greg you are a madman to build her at 1/4” scale.  You have my utmost respect at that size.  I couldnt even imagine it.

74BCB51E-0D82-4AD1-851A-E92CBC1EB86E.jpeg

Hi Chuck I don't think you will need to worry about the price of your amazing kit.  I would guess that so far my scratch build of Le Rochefort has cost me about £400 in just wood to get where I am and it's no where near finished.  This does not include any tooling or consumables which would put a price on that I don't want to think about.

The finished kit will cost what it does and I believe that the final builders will get a great kit at a price which will be a whole lot cheaper and more accurate to build than a scratch built ship.

Fantastic work and if I wasn't building my ship I would build this one.

Just a small update on the progress.  Getting into the stern framing now.   But first I needed to add 3 more aft cant frames under the quarter piece.

The cant frames are self explanatory and the same as the others.    Just sand off the char and add them.  But before I added them under the quarter piece I had to glue a small block on the inside of the quarter piece on both sides.   The block is laser cut and matches the shape of the bottom of the quarter piece.   This makes the area thicker which we will need when we fair the inboard side.   This will all be covered up on the inboard side so it wont show.  It will be planked over on the inboard side.

quarterpiece4.jpg

The small blocks will be faired along with the inboard frames when we do that much later.  But it is probably a good idea to start that now and do a little preliminary removal of material.  Its just easier to do at this point.   I did it after gluing them in but they could just as easily be shaped before you glue them in.

quarterpiece5.jpg

Now the stern framing starts.   First up are the fashion pieces.  These are very very complex.   This hull has a square tuck much like the Cheerful.   So to simplify things it will be made in two layers.   Only the first layer will be added at this time.  They are laser cut for you and 5/32" thick.   There are laser etched lines on both sides.   You can see how I faired the shape into it following the etched reference line.   The two ends also need to be tapered slightly.  I am talking very slight tapering to sit against the deadwood and under the wing transom.   The other side of the piece has those etched reference lines.  Just sand in the bevel to match on both ends.  Then give it a test fit.

fashionpiece.jpg

fashionpiece1.jpg

I found it easier to test fit these while the hull was upside down.  They will need to be 1/8" away from the stern post as mentioned.   This was easy enough to do.   I just drew a reference line in pencil.  I used a 1/8" wide strip and held it against the stern post and just drew the line on the deadwood.

quarterpiece6.jpg

When test fitting these the bottom will sit along the curved edge on the deadwood.   Right along the bearding line.  Try and get a nice clean and tight fit there.   The top end will fit under the bottom of the wing transom.   The aft edge is flush with the same on the wing transom.  Then I faired them along with those last three cant frames I added.  Its all coming together now.  Just a bit more framing to go.   

Next up will be that last aft cant frame.  It actually sits against the fashion piece we just added.  This is why that needed to be added first.  Then a small cant filler will be added which essentially finishes up all the hull framing.   After that there are the stern frames and a few odds and ends to finish it all up.

quarterpiece7.jpg

Hi Chuck,

I'm really enjoying following your build of Speedwell. I started a POB version of her back in 2019 from Davids' plans with still a way to go. I can concur with your comment about the Fashion Pieces,a few attempts of mine ended up in the bin before I had success. Just wait 'til you get to the Cathead Supporters,IMO they are worse curving in three dimensions.

Dave :dancetl6: 

Thanks....I would love to see your progress Dave.   You should start a build log.   Or at least post some pics of your progress.

Chuck

I also found the fashion pieces very difficult and they either fit or they don't.  Chuck you've done a fantastic job there - are you going to make any transom filler pieces too to fill the gap between the wing transom and the fashion pieces?  Or are you planning on planking the stern as is?  

Mark

Yes there will be one more cant frame and then one small filler frame which will sit against the forward edge of the fashion piece.  Those should be easy enough to make and install.   The fashion pieces were quite easy as well and after tweaking the laser cut file for them they fit perfectly.   It was literally just a matter of sanding to the laser etched reference lines.  Then gluing them in.    I think the all of the remaining framing should be uneventful.   In fact it will be very similar to the way the square tuck was handled on Cheerful.   I am looking forward to planking very soon in the next chapter...

For the last cant frame and filler the most difficult thing will be sanding the correct angle onto the frame that sits against the fashion pieces.   But that angle is shown on the plans and can be transferred.   I am hoping to make to those over the next couple of days. That detail is shown below...cant frame 28 and the filler.

cant28 and filler angle.jpg

Chuck

Thanks Ben...

No progress on the 3/8" scale model.  But hopefully this weekend.  There was another topic started elsewhere on the forum about interest in building models like those by Phillip Reed.  I always thought considering such sorcery was beyond comprehension.   But I must admit that anyone who has built Speedwell or is thinking about it,  probably has come across the photos of her as built by Phillip Reed.

hms-speedwell-full-hull-webspeedwell-ree

It is just a superb model.  Its 1/16" scale. Madness indeed.   I thought building her at 1/4" scale like Greg was crazy.   But you always wonder if you can do something like that.   When I started on the 3/8" scale version I couldnt help myself. So I have been clandestine and also drafting plans for a mini Speedwell.   I am not crazy enough to build it at 1/16" scale like Mr.  Reed.   That model has a hull about 6" long.

But I did reduce my Speedwell drafts and framing plans to 25% of the the 3/8" scale version.   This makes a 3/32" scale Speedwell which is still absurd.  The hull is about 8".   I havent started cutting parts yet but I have been working on a fun side project.  Just to see how viable it is.   Keep in mind I dont have a 3d printed set of carvings.   Chris is going to try and print them at this tiny scale but I doubt it will be possible.  The carvings are tiny at 3/8" and reduced to this fun Phil Reed scale the figurehead is just 7/16" tall.

But this is what I have been playing around with....all parts including the figurehead are laser cut.  Most from Boxwood except the trailboard carvings which are laserboard.  You can see it in comparison to the regular sized model.  The plan in the back is also at 3/32"scale.  I am not sure I will continue but I may do so and Chris is going to run some tests on the 3d prints.  But the laser cut parts for the trailboard came out great with just the laser cutter.

The figurehead is laser cut in five layers...the first center layer is integrated into the stem.  Then you build up layers on either side to make the figure fully rounded.   You just round off the edges of each layer and do a bit a shaping.   It doesnt have to be precise.   At this scale all you need is a suggestion of detail.   The staff is a length of 30 gauge wire with some paper wings glued on top.  Really tiny paper wings.   

Anyway...if there is interest in such a thing let me know and I will continue working the small one as well.

Chuck

minifig.jpg

minifig1.jpg

minispeedwellfig.jpg

IMG_0903.jpeg

That is a very beautiful model indeed. Personally, I have a stronger interest in smaller scales than larger ones. Partly just for the dazzling effects of extreme miniature, but also partly because there is only room for so many 1/64 scale kits, let alone 1/48s. 

A 3/32 scale Speedwell in Syren Ship Models quality would be awfully hard to resist. 

Edited by whitejamest

Current build: HMS Speedy, Vanguard Models 1:64

Past Projects: 18th Century Longboat, Model Shipways, 1:48

22 Foot Yawl, Vanguard Models, 1:64

If I do this keep in mind that building a miniature is not easy.  These scales are harsh on the eyes and the parts are super delicate. The hair brackets are .015thick boxwood.   The trailboard carvings are laserboard.   This will be a super advanced kit just for the dexterity and light hand you will need.   

The framing will be very similar to the longboat kit...just much smaller.  Frames will have a break-away center.   But the mid-ship frames  will be only 1 3/4"wide.   The hull will be 7 7/8" long and the breath will be 1.75".

mid ship frame below…

My original intent was to just build this mini for fun...and then it morphed into making a limited run of ten kits to give away at next years joint clubs.   Our New Jersey club is hosting next year.   I may still do that.   But if I do make them for joint clubs I will have switch gears and just work on the mini for a while.  One year isnt exactly a huge amount of time.  But if there is broader interest I will just work both together and think of something else for next year's joint clubs show.

IMG_0904.jpeg

so if there s any interest please let me know so I can plan ahead.

I would definitely like to build a 3/32 scale Speedwell.  I like the small scale models.  Knowing your design techniques, this will be an exceptional kit.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat