Which cables are you speaking of?   The anchor cables?  

BTW, I moved this to a more appropriate area. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ah, got it.    It's probably too late at this point as the foredeck is on and will limit access.  But the cables would go through the hawse ports and then down.   I remember seeing them (the cables) being installed and I think they were just tied together as that area is hidden and not much detail.  Since I'm not adding the anchor cables on my build, I skipped that part.   My bad.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I think BE has it spot on once the messenger would have been removed.

The following is from Lavery's Arming and Fitting English Ships of War (ISBN 0 85177 451 2) page 48.   

Allan

1343779686_AnchorCablewithmessenger.thumb.JPG.d29a4c6aefc1575d105af23dae9f22a7.JPG

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Seamanship in the Age of sail by John Harland gives the complete process from getting underway from anchoring, to coming to anchor, and stowing the cables.

A very useful book.

It is exhausting just reading about handling the cables; cleaning and setting them to dry before stowage, and the highly skilled task of passing them down to the hold and faking them in the correct manner for subsequent use.

B.E.