HMS Cumberland 1774 by AlexBaranov - FINISHED - 1:36

• 1 month later...

Really fine the carved frieze work is great.

Would you mind sharing with me how you have obtained that "muted" finish. I would love to be able duplicate it

Hi michaelpsutton2

Okay, I'll write again, and the recipe and method of preparation of solutions. I use two kinds of solutions (water (stain), and based on beeswax (mastic) of varying consistency). However, the photographs shows the processing is not yet finish. I will make the description and explanation completely and totally ready for this process.

Edited by AlexBaranov

Staggeringly beautiful build Alex :wub:  :wub:  :wub: The artificial ageing techniques you are using are excellent.

Kind Regards Nigel

Hi Nigel

However, I want to note that this is not the finished work using the method of artificial aging. The process will be completed only after all the work on the ship's hull. I cover parts only wax mastic now for wood preservation.

I read on the Russian forum about a mix containing bitumen.If you use this mix,I assume it must still work with wax already applied?When I read about this technique,I was concerned it could result in a patchy finish.If you apply wax first,then I can see how this is aleviated.Sorry for so many questions Alex,but rather than struggle to find the answers on the Russian forum,what better way than to ask the master himself?

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

I read on the Russian forum about a mix containing bitumen.If you use this mix,I assume it must still work with wax already applied?When I read about this technique,I was concerned it could result in a patchy finish.If you apply wax first,then I can see how this is aleviated.Sorry for so many questions Alex,but rather than struggle to find the answers on the Russian forum,what better way than to ask the master himself?

Kind Regards Nigel

Yes you are right, I am using bitumen for the pigment in wax solutions for aging wood and rigging. This  ancient way. However, we know that the bitumen is corrosive with respect to organic materials. So you can not use pure bitumen without beeswax. The negative impact of bitumen on organics was observed long ago, back in the 18th century. However, the method of protection was found by an experimental way. Bitumen is added as an additive to tar and wax solutions.

I use beeswax and mineral wax (paraffin). Beeswax has a very small molecular structure. The molecules bind mollekuly wax bitumen and bitumen can not destroy organic materials. By the way, the aging of sails I use a similar solution. But the basic solution always contains wax, paraffin, bitumen, resins, natural soap, wood (pine) turpentine.

Edited by AlexBaranov

Thank you very much indeed Alex for taking the time to explain this to me.This is very interesting and I shall no doubt have a try myself on some scrap timber.

I look forward to more updates.

Kind Regards Nigel

I know it is a lot to ask Alex,but do you fancy doing a small tutorial on this?This technique is employed by quite a few builders in Eastern Europe,but as yet,has not really been employed in the western world.I think there may be many builders on here that would find this most interesting.I do however fully understand if you would rather keep the secret to yourself.it is a bit like asking for the recipe for kentucky fried chicken.

Kind Regards Nigel

Of course there is no secret. All of these ancient methods and artificial aging recipes I found on the internet. I took a lot of experimenting and discover the most successful and easy recipes that give excellent (in my opinion) the result. I wanted to create a model of the ship that it was very similar to the old museum piece. I believe that it makes sense to make the experiment more to get the most excellent quality. I am willing to share my experience. The only problem is explanation. I do not have a daily practice in English but have a deficiency of daily time. So my English is very bad. To write messages I use the electronic translator and correct grammatical errors....

Alex has been given the rare honor of being designated Master Modeler on his Russian ship model forum. It's easy to see why.

Master Modeler .... It's not my phrase and not my opinion. I believe that much remains to be achieved. It is only mid-way.

However, I sometimes use epithets. In the commercial aspect of it is very useful. However, I know that advertising is the most shameless thing, but with this statement always easy to accept. Advertising is the foundation of business.

• 1 month later...

Hi Alex. Have a question for you sir and wondering were you found the information. The clench bolts that you show on the outside of the gun ports, was this done on English ships? I thought that this was done on French ships but was hidden on English ships under the outer planks. Another question is how is this detail done, cast or metal work and can you show how this was made. Thank you sir. Gary

Thank you very much Alex to show us your receipe. Since the first time that I saw on a forum  the use of asphalt by russians I tried it sometimes and I like the aging effect.

I do not understand why you use wood rosin  which is probably something like pine gum. The only thing I know about it is that it is water resistant. 

Gaetan

Aging solution with asphalt

Beeswax  Slows drying time, soften the color  and more transparent.  Mixing it with the

bitumen    allows beewax molecules to bind  and make the asphalt more neutral

paraffin:help beewax or could be white wax candle

asphalt:   Was used by the egyptiens for embalming   Oil suluble

pine resin:  Gives plastic properties  and can form a varnish if mixed with alcool

natural soap:  probably for the oils in the soap

turpentine:  Fluidity  and solubility of the mix

siccative:   shorter drying time, max 10% of total mix.

Alex is right everything is on Internet

post-184-0-92600700-1386721884_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-12142600-1386721886_thumb.jpg

Hi Gary

If you click on the accessories link at the top of the page then download the moulding pdf which is top left of the next page.Everything is listed with sizes and prices in Euros.Be warned some seriously nice kit and I know I for one could spend a fortune on there.Look out for the trunnion caps unbelievable detail!

Kind Regards Nigel

Hi Gaetan

Good work find that.I found a section on the Russian forum,but google translator made a bit of a mess of it.It is definitely worth experimenting,because when done properly it looks incredible.

Kind Regards Nigel