Accessories for 1:48 San Bartolome. - Pavel Nikitin.

Various sets for 1:48 San Bartolome
Ships of Pavel Nikitin

Available directly. See article for links.

Along with the 1:48 San Bartolome that we reviewed HERE, Pavel Nikitin also sent over a number of optional sets for this kit. Here we take a look at them.

"San Bartolome - 2" slipway for building San Bartolome

DSC_1949.jpg

Whilst it’s not vital that you have a building slip for this kit, I know many folks do like to use one. As this model is 1:48, it may well be simpler to use one to rotate your model as you build up the intricate frames that she has. If you’re one who would use a slip, then you might be pleased to know that there is one specifically for the San Bartolome. This weighty box (2.4kg) contains a whole jig system for this model, based on a plywood box system.

DSC_1951.jpg

DSC_1952.jpg

DSC_1953.jpg

DSC_1954.jpg

DSC_1955.jpg

DSC_1956.jpg

jig1.jpeg

jig2.jpegjig4.jpeg

jig5.jpeg

jig6.jpeg

A series of small ply clamps are also included which are designed to hold planks to the outside of the hull, and doubtless other tasks during construction. The whole package is cleanly laser cut and includes the various metal fittings needed to hold everything in situ. The current price of this building slipway is 41.07 €, and it’s available HERE.

"San Bartolome - 2" Stand for ship model

DSC_1936.jpg

The standard kit doesn’t come with a stand. I know some folks like to prepare their own or mount the model on brass columns, but if you want something that’s designed specifically for San Bartolome, then a stand is available for it as a separate item. This pack weighs in at just under 1kg and contains a laser cut ply stand that is as ornamental as it is functional. The stand is a series of interlocking parts with an attractive peg system to hold it all together.

DSC_1937.jpg

DSC_1938.jpg

DSC_1939.jpg

DSC_1941.jpg

DSC_1942.jpg

DSC_1943.jpg

DSC_1944.jpg

stand1.jpeg

stand2.jpeg

stand3.jpeg

An attractive name plate adorns each side of the stand, so you can pose your model either way round and still have that on show. This stand would very much benefit from the paint set which we’ll look at next, due to the bare ply finish…..or you could paint the stand as you wish. The stand costs 45.17 € and is available directly from HERE.

Painting Kit
Firstly, I need to clarify that the San Bartolome 2 doesn’t require this set due to the different timbers that it’s made from in relation to the V1 of that kit. Both the V1 and V2 will shortly be available on their website, so you’ll have a choice of what to build and how you wish to finish it. This set consists of six bottles of alcohol-based paints. These all come in large bottles.

DSC_1945.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

DSC_1947.jpg

These paints are designed to paint the model in a very specific way which is easier to show than to explain. Please check this video which illustrates how to apply this paint, which can be airbrushed without any extra thinning:

This set also comes with three sheets of both 240 grit and 320 grit sanding sponge to create the distressed effect you can see in the video. This set is available for 35.89 € directly from HERE.

My sincere thanks to Pavel Nikitin for sending the samples seen here on MSW.

pavelNikitinLogoBlack.png.46bac99880cb11fa7d5e7bb76d73a1a6.png

• 3 weeks later...

Do you think that these paints would have to be airbrushed only, or could they be applied with brushes and still approximate the weathered effect? Can you further describe  the difference between version 1 and 2, because I really have appreciated your review and would like to purchase this for my next build. Thanks for all your work!

Current Build

Revenge 1577 by Amati 1:64 

Completed Builds:

Bluenose II by Artesania Latina 1:75

HMS Victory Cross Section by DeAgostini 1:72

HMS Victory by DeAgostini 1:84

Polaris by Occre

3 hours ago, Dale Hallier said:

Do you think that these paints would have to be airbrushed only, or could they be applied with brushes and still approximate the weathered effect? Can you further describe  the difference between version 1 and 2, because I really have appreciated your review and would like to purchase this for my next build. Thanks for all your work!

Ok, I don't think these paints can be brushed. I'm sure they are formulated for airbrush only, but could be wrong. 

V1 is the kit designed for these paints, but the V2 is made from timber varieties that supposedly don't need to use the paint, although I'm not convinced about that claim, if you want to recreate the antiqued look.