I think model ship building might just not be for me...

Ambassador Spock

Hi everyone, I've lurked these forums for awhile, constantly in awe of the ship builds I see. I've never been much of a model-builder - I remember frequently buying model cars and planes as a kid, building them halfway, then setting them aside to never finish... I've always loved the idea of model ships though, so I decided to finally give it a go. I bought the 3-in-1 set from Model Shipways, which arrived a few weeks back. I excited opened the box and checked the contents, but had a hard time finding the opportunity to actually start building. I've now sat down on at least three occasions, planning on beginning the Dory, but apart from cutting out the first piece and sanding the edges slightly, I haven't gone any further. I'm not overwhelmed or anything, I just can't find the motivation to continue...

I guess I'm just looking for validation that model ship building isn't for everyone, and if I'm having a hard time forcing myself to even start, maybe I should just enjoy the builds from afar and focus on a different hobby (I may have bought an RC airplane this week... 😬). Of course, if that is the case, I'm now left with a practically brand-new 3-ship-kit which I can't list in the classifieds forum since I don't have 25 posts... 

Never attempt to build anything that you can't find the motivation for -- that will inevitably lead to carelessness, taking shortcuts, and just generally feeling less than satisfied with your efforts. By all means, take a break if you need to. Go crash a few expensive RC planes (I did free-flight models, and they invariably came to sad ends) -- your ship models will wait for you. 

BTW, have you given some thought to subject matter and/or medium? Maybe it's not ships that you don't like -- it might be that you don't care for smallcraft and wood. Have you thought about trying a small plastic model, or perhaps even card? There's lots of options to think about.

Hope your RC adventures turn out better than my free-flight days!

Well, there's room for your aircraft build in the Non-Ship Models area in Shore Leave.   Mojo seems to come and go with many of us and also real life gets in the way.  Do find something (if ships) that you really want to build.  That's a motivator right there.  The first kit I bought was a Billing Vasa.  After opening the box, reality set in and so I motivated myself to start simple.  Having the Vasa staring at me every day was motivation.

If there is no urge for modelling, then let it be. I don't fully understand your post Ambassador Spock. I for myself can only build models, if I care for the building process. In fact to me building and painting is my motor in modelling, as I don't care much for the finished models. I would never display a plastic model in my living area, the only exception may be a finished wooden sailing ship.
To me your post sounds a bit like, I bought a guitar, but I don't really like learning the guitar and I'm not sure, if a trumpet would fit better.
I don't want to offend you, but I can't see what you expect from us.

Cheers Rob

20 minutes ago, DocRob said:

If there is no urge for modelling, then let it be. I don't fully understand your post Ambassador Spock. I for myself can only build models, if I care for the building process. In fact to me building and painting is my motor in modelling, as I don't care much for the finished models. I would never display a plastic model in my living area, the only exception may be a finished wooden sailing ship.
To me your post sounds a bit like, I bought a guitar, but I don't really like learning the guitar and I'm not sure, if a trumpet would fit better.
I don't want to offend you, but I can't see what you expect from us.

Cheers Rob

Perhaps he made an impulse buy  and now  after  discovering  it  wasn't  what  he  thought  -  he now  feels  stuck  and possibly regrets buying it.  

Guess  we  have all  been there  in our lives  -  and  we just move on to  something different  till  it fits.

OC.

Model shipbuilding is not for everyone.  

Everyone has their own tastes and likes.

For me, model building (and model shipbuilding in particular) makes me happy and is how I relax.

I personally enjoy the creative process of the hobby and the actual process of creating something.

We decorate with the ships.  The rest of my models stay in their designated areas.

If the actual building part is not your thing, that is perfectly okay.

Coming to this forum is like going to a museum or an art gallery in a very real sense.

It is a perfect place to enjoy other people’s work and skill.

There are many masters of this art here (and, I’m not one of them).

And, if you decide to try again, there are many great first build options that you can try.

Vanguard makes multiple fishing boats that are intended for the first time builder.

Vanguard also makes a nice kit of the cutter Alert.

Shipyard makes a nice card version of the Alert along with some wood kits of various cogs that would make great beginner kits.

My first real ship model was a colonial era schooner.

Although, I had built the Artesiana Latina Bounty’s Jolly Boat first.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

5 hours ago, OllieS said:

The hobby is the activity of modelling and it takes a long time to get anything actually finished.

If your interest is the model then why not start a collection of models?

...Or you can do what everyone seems to do and collect unmade kits (!)

The hobby is what you want it to be.