HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Aceso (Brad)

Brad I started with a scratch built hull (bulkheads, false keel or strongback etc.). Even though they were accurately machined using a CAD/CAM approach they have given me some grief. In part because of the inferior plywood I purchased. At this point I have completed the port gun ports, installed my second transom assembly and partially installed the starboard gun ports. I have expended too much energy and time to get to this point. Were I to do this again I would have thought better of starting from the point I did! This is an extremely well designed kit and would have been much easier had I started from the intended point. I have built other models from Syren.

Just a caution.

Joe

Slow process today. Got the Instruction manual all printed and put in a 3 ring binder. I got my 1/4 plywood for the false keel and bulkheads.  Went and grabbed my dad's scroll saw so I could start cutting things out and found out I had no spray glue to place the templets onto the plywood.

So I decided to work on my build board. Grabbed some 3/4 x 12 Oak I had laying around cut it to 36" and noticed it was cupped. Have to go with plan B.

My plan B I think will make me a better build board anyway.

For now I will read the manual and get familiar with it.

Welcome aboard Aceso! I'm looking forward to seeing another Winnie come to life.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 3 weeks later...

You are a brave fellow to take on this monster as a first semi-scatch build. I tried and came up second best: though I'm planning to re-start as soon as I have finished Cheerfulno: as to which have you thought of that as a first semi-scratch build? Its just as challenging but not quite the marathon run Winnie is. You build whatever you want to build of course. I absolutely don't mean to interfere and wish you the very best.

Fred

• 3 weeks later...