HMS Beagle by Patrick - OcCre - 1/60

Little bit of an uptade here, I asembled the hull (squeleton) and started sanding it at the bow. I made some place in my cabinet. You can also see the plate they sent me with thr name of the ship. A nice touch to me. Everything seemed to be in the package. 

Keep in mind that this is my first (real) ship, as I already made a cheap knockoff of some boat bought on aliexpress. I know I shouldn't have but I didn't want to ruin a costly kit. I have learned of my mistakes from this little boat. One of them was to chose price over quality. Haha

Many people seemed to agree that this ship (Beagle) from occre was a great beginner kit. I liked the amount of details for such a small price (≈180 cad)!

16710641711863283628497889126471.jpg

16710642020625539385022840081664.jpg

16710646629738284011776218288566.jpg

Edited by Patrick B

I couldn't find a difference either, some strips have a sort of barred horizontal pattern but it is very variable: it's a less or more thing rather than yes or no. I ended up using the least barred for the deck which was just stained and the others for everything else where it would be less obvious.

By the way the OcCre Beagle has a lot of details and a lot of scope for (easy) improvements. It is an excellent choice!

Edited by OllieS
additional comment

Hi, some minor improvement on the deck. I have cut each strips 60mm in lenght and ran a lead pencil against it to simulate caulking.

I think I will try staining it in sapelli dye or meaby just put some flaxseed oil. My only concern is that  I fear that the lead will smear...

Has anyone ever tried this before, oiling up a deck?

1671668255277193256410872016676.jpg

16716686227556101358631501582977.jpg

Edited by Patrick B

Hi, some minor improvement on the deck. I have cut each strips 60mm in lenght and ran a lead pencil against it to simulate caulking.

I think I will try staining it in sapelli dye or meaby just put some flaxseed oil. My only concern is that  I fear that the lead will smear...

Has anyone ever tried this before, oiling up a deck?

I have used this technique and didn't have any issue with the lead smearing when I stained the deck.  I used minwax oil based stain and have used polyurethane and shellac over the stain with good results.  

Good luck.

Edited by RossR

Completed Build:   HMS Beagle - Occre

Current Build:         Frigate Diana - Occre  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/33530-frigate-diana-by-rossr-occre-185/

On the Shelf:           Santisima Trinidad Cross Section - Occre, NRG Half Hull and the US Brig Syren - Model Shipways

I noticed in the parts list for this kit that there are a couple of "typos". I think it's possible that all to the 0.6 x 5 mm strips are sycamore (except the sapelli!) and all the other dimension pieces (1 x 3 mm, 2 x 2 mm, etc.) are lime. There is only one line in the parts list where the 0.6 x 5 mm strips are listed as lime. I can't find any of the 0.6 x 5 mm strips to be any different from each other, but I think I could make the claim that they do look slightly different than the other dimension material (??).

Rob

On 12/25/2022 at 6:00 PM, Capella said:

Just ordered this very same ship from Occre about an hour ago.

I'll be watching your log VERY closely. 😉

By the way , how long did it take to arrive after you ordered it?

Hi, it took more time than said so. I live in Canada, so the supposed delivery time was 7 working days. However, it took 11 working days plus 5-6 days for them to make the package before even sending it. As I sais, it depends from where you live in the world.

Hope this answers your question.  

Tell us when you will start your build log. I will follow along too.

Hi Patrick

Very neatly done.   It seems odd to me to see a two butt shift pattern, rather 3 or 4.   Is this a kit convention or were you able to find this in a contemporary source?  

Thanks for sharing your build with us.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

On 12/29/2022 at 6:26 AM, allanyed said:

Hi Patrick

Very neatly done.   It seems odd to me to see a two butt shift pattern, rather 3 or 4.   Is this a kit convention or were you able to find this in a contemporary source?  

Thanks for sharing your build with us.

Allan

Yes, it is a kit convention. Althought I know that a 3-4 butt patern and a king (I think) plank would be correct, I found this one more pleasing to the eye. 

Thanks for the attention thought.

Edit: sorry, my faut, it wasn't a kit convention, I misinterpreted the plans here. Oups

Edited by Patrick B

New update:

I scratch built the doors because I didn't like the photo-edged ones from the kit.

I took 2 pieces of sycamore and stained them with the sapelli stain from Occre (works well). I then  added two strips of sycamore that I carved and rounded the side. I made a door frame, a door knob with a nail and finally, I enhanced the carving with a citadel wash.

16723321741546619984204262126051.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2022 at 12:35 PM, Patrick B said:

And...

Nailed it!

16722524974043611814150297150189.jpg

16722525281111040590969813204436.jpg

I like your choice of how you "decked the walkways", but it looks like it may have been a bit tedious. I'm nearly ready to plank my own Beagle's deck. I'm not terribly concerned about historical accuracy, so I'm wondering if you're happy with your choice and if you have any other thoughts about it.

First build: US Ranger - Corel

Second build: HMS Beagle - OcCre

You're right, it was tedious, but worth it in my opinion. 

One thing though, plank one side of the mast's hole and cut it before gluing the other one.

Something else, don't press too hard with your mechanical pencil, because the lead may break.

I happened to me (see photo)

Overall, it makes an impressive work when finished and sanded.

Don't go by the instructions. They tell you to glue the plank and then add the caulking from lead. I'll just make a mess and wont be neat.

Afterall, do what you prefer.

Patrick

16731142395937009805567127727115.jpg

Those look great.  I wish I had done that on my Beagle.

Completed Build:   HMS Beagle - Occre

Current Build:         Frigate Diana - Occre  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/33530-frigate-diana-by-rossr-occre-185/

On the Shelf:           Santisima Trinidad Cross Section - Occre, NRG Half Hull and the US Brig Syren - Model Shipways

Question: 

Yesterday, I went to my local hardware store and bought the Watco Tung oil. I plan on using it over pretty much every wooden part of the build.

Any suggestions on application and usage?

I didn't want to use varnish because it would leave a film all over the nice woodgrain.

I hesitated a bit over tung oil and boiled linseed oil, but the linseed oil bottle mentionned that it had a poor shelf life and could darken a lot porous wood, wich is most of the wood I received.

16744177552441549146399004646650.jpg

Edited by Patrick B

• 2 weeks later...

Drop strake can be seen below the wale

185395850_DropStrake.jpg.3fedead498dc39d070cb459983e213b0.jpg

Stealer aft

1479191330_StealerA.JPG.227009eb0849b2246636c116a8848fe0.JPG

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU