Shiny Rigging Thread

gthursby

I've just reactivated a Artesania Latina model of the Scottish Maid which has lain dormant for 3 or so years. I found that I am short on rigging thread of certain thicknesses and so tried to order more. My problem is that none of the thread that I can buy (eg Caldercraft, Artesania Latina) look like the ones I'd been using. All the new ones seem to have a sheen that looks wrong when the rest of the rigging is done with a matt, more natural looking thread whereas the new ones look artificial. The model is about 3/4 rigged so I most certainly don't want to start again!

I can only assume that manufacturers have changed their rigging threads for some reason.

Anyone know where I can buy the "old" style of thread?

Graham

I suspect a lot of manufactures are changing to synthetics for a very good reason and that's Price. Polyester is a fraction the cost of cotton, linen, or hemp. 

Someone on here might have some of the older stock and be willing to send it to you.

Another option is to use the new line and brush some diluted matt varnish on it after rigging. That method work's quite well on the polyester shine. 

Perhaps some of the small vendors that make ropes, advertised here, might have what you need. Otherwise, I strongly encourage you to make your own ropes on a ropewalk, using commercially made thread, either polyester or cotton. That way, you can adjust the type of thread and/or its thickness to what you need. (besides, it is fun!)

Now that DMC and Anchor threads are gone, I have recently had pretty good luck with cotton thread known as Lizbeth (available online), which is Egyptian cotton, traditionally one of the best, it comes in several thicknesses and colours and is already factory presinged, so you don't end up with fuzzy ropes.

I make my ropes from this thread on my ropewalk. The thread is all factory right-hand twisted, so if you make your own ropes from it, they 'll all come left-hand twisted, otherwise, if you want them to be R-hand twisted, you'll first have to untwist factory given R-hand twist, turning in the opposite direction and continue your R-hand twist on your ropes  thereafter.

The question is, can you use this thread straight out of the spool?  (after all, it already comes R-hand twisted, like most ropes on a ship). Well, the factory made twist on this thread is a bit too loose, you want your ropes look like natural ropes, just smaller. So, it is much better to twist your own ropes from this thread, with tighter twist, rather than using it straight from the spool.

In the end, you' ll decide...   

378 rigging thread.jpg

379 ropes.jpg

380 ropes.jpg

Edited by Dziadeczek

Check out https://modelshipworld.com/forum/82-discussions-about-rope-making/  This is a gold mine of information of "rolling your own" rigging cordage. Get yourself a Syren "Rope Rocket," or build your own (see plans and how-to's in the "articles" and "more" drop-down menus at the top of the forum homepage.) It is fun and when people admire your models and ask where you get all the different sizes of realistic miniature rope, you get to nonchalantly say, "Oh, II make it myself." :D 

You'll find discussions of the various types of threads for rope-making in the above link. Check out the wide range of colors and sizes in the Gutermann Mara line of thread available mail-order from Wawak: https://www.wawak.com/thread/thread-by-use/all-purpose/gutermann-mara-100-poly-wrapped-poly-core-thread-tex-30/#sku=gtda000

Edited by Bob Cleek

Thanks for the replies, but I'm trying to finish a 3/4 built kit model so I need some thread that matches the one that I've already used. I've no plans to build another vessel after this, so going down the route of making my own rigging is not really applicable.

I should have also mentioned that the colour is very different as well, so I ideally need to find some older material. Anyone know of a manufacturer who does this?