Where to buy wood sheets?

Tsm209

Hey everyone, I just got plans for a scratch-build model I am about to start. The ship’s profile which the frames will be on is 9 ft long and 1 ft tall but I will split it in half for easier handling. The frames themselves need about 6.5 x 5 ft space of wood. The wood needs to be 1/8” or 3mm. Does anyone know where I can get such amount of wood? Anywhere I try to buy the wood is in small sheets like 12 x 24 inches. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

Are those measurements you gave "actual" or "scale"?  Seems a 9 foot long keel will be huge if that is actual size.   As for large quantities it depends on where you are and what local species are available and also a local mill or wood shop to do the cutting.

You might also inquire our sponsors that do custom woods and see if they take special orders.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yes.  hardwood is an excellent choice for them.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Keep in mind that there's plywood and there's plywood. For modeling work, I'd seriously consider using "MDO" (Medium Density Overlay) type plywood. This is the stuff highway departments use for road signs. It's seven-ply, as I recall, and is laminated without voids. It is covered on both faces with some sort of epoxy paper which can be finish painted without the need for any face sanding or sealing.

That said, if there is any shape to the keel you are contemplating, and there is to most all keels, plywood is a less than optimum choice because it doesn't shape well at all. Rounded edges and tapered shapes will expose the laminate edges. The face veneers of plywood are easy to "sand through," exposing the lower laminates. In less than premium grades, splitting and cracking of the face surfaces can occur. And... of course, in narrow sizes, it lacks the strength of grown wood.

Plywood has its place (decks and bulkheads,) but for structural and planking wood the way God made it is the best bet.

Bob is right - don't just grab some fir plywood from Home Depot. Baltic birch plywood has many all-birch plies, no voids, and full thickness outer plies, as opposed to face veneers, which are not so easily sanded through. I've just been gang-routering edges in 1/4" birch ply to form ribs for my current build. Edges are clean. This plywood is heavy and strong. I can barely break a 3/8" wide strip with full hand strength.

1531319310_15Dec22-1.thumb.JPG.41c0db599ea82b13efaa28667d64eb9b.JPG

1208135509_15Dec22-2.thumb.JPG.8095848ac8118c37eaa56ce088c10cb4.JPG1208135509_15Dec22-2.thumb.JPG.8095848ac8118c37eaa56ce088c10cb4.JPG

Yes but the ship model I am building is different, it will have to be done like this:

EA49FD72-EADA-497A-9479-4E1505641F35.jpeg
The frames will be filled with the wood planking then will be sanded and will be filled to give a smooth finish.

Afterwards the hull plating will need to be done.

Edited by Tsm209