USS Perry by Jeff Preisler - FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - Scale 1/8" = 1'

The Perry was launched in May 1843 by the Norfolk naval Yard and commissioned 13 OCT 1843, Comdr. Samuel F. Du Pont in command.

I decided on this kit as I want to try an actual ship model with more complicated rigging, and I figured this will be a good one to start with as I really like the looks and history of this model.

This is a solid hulled model so my 1st steps were to cut out all hull and deck templates which I laminated to card stock. I proceeded to prepare the deck surfaces with a good sanding then established the centerline.  Using the deck templates as a guide, I marked the hull template locations and then traced the deck outlines out on the hull.  Using my rasp, I shaped the hull to match the deck out line, then established the correct bow and stern curves with kit supplied templates.  Lastly, I worked the hull to its finished shape by checking progress with hull templates.  After approx. 10 hours over 3 days, and a very messy workbench I was able to get this step complete.

DSC00507.JPG

DSC00508.JPG

DSC00509.JPG

DSC00510.JPG

DSC00511.JPG

•  

Nice start to this build.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Cut the recess in hull sides at quarter deck and forecastle deck, then cut in the main deck 1/32".  Next laminated the inner bulwarks to the outer bulwarks, after dry I used my heat gun to curve the bulwarks at bow.  At the forecastle deck I removed to much material when sanding to shape so I used scrap wood for filler along with putty.  I'm finding this hull to be a little more challenging than the other Bluejacket kits that I had built, but that is a good thing as I'm gaining experience and learning from my mistakes.  The other build threads on this same kit are very helpful to me.

DSC00512.JPG

DSC00513.JPG

DSC00514.JPG

DSC00515.JPG

DSC00516.JPG

DSC00517.JPG

DSC00518.JPG

•  

One mistake I made was when attaching deck, I wasn't careful and did not butt up the seam good as illustrated in 1st photo.  I didn't like this, so I cut an 1/8" notch down the centerline then used scrap deck material and ripped a 1/8" wide strip and glued in place as shown in the photos.  Most of that seam will be covered by deck furniture but you would have seen some of that seam and it would've bothered me.  Live and learn. 

DSC00517.JPG

DSC00520.JPG

DSC00521.JPG

Edited by Jeff preisler

•  

• 2 weeks later...

Drilled a 3/16" hole for rudder shaft, proceeded to install gammon knee, stern post and keel.  I added a couple of filler pieces between gammon knee and keel plank to fill in a gap from my over-sanding.  Using Bondo automotive spot putty I filled in all sanding defects, then gave a final sanding before priming.  After 1st coat of primer, I used some vinyl spackling to fill in a low area on hull side and a few small scratches.  After my final 3rd coat of primer and final sanding I'm ready for paint. 

DSC00524.JPG

DSC00525.JPG

DSC00526.JPG

DSC00528.JPG

DSC00529.JPG

DSC00531.JPG

DSC00532.JPG

•  

Looks good and that with the flying boat on the box behind makes an interesting statement.    

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Just completed the painting of the hull, a couple of areas I will have to touch up, but overall, I'm pleased with the result.  Next, I'm going to try to figure out a good way to get that greenish patina on the copper.  If anyone has any ideas on how to achieve that look, I'm open to suggestions.  I may try dry brushing some pastel powders on some copper painted scrap wood or using my airbrush with the correct green color which I'm still trying to figure out.

DSC00541.JPG

DSC00542.JPG

•  

Do a search here one MSW for copper patina.  More than few have done it,   I'd suggest starting the Painting and Finishing area.  We do have a search feature here... upper right hand corner.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

This is an experimentation for me as my 1st time trying to simulate Pantina.  It's probably not over-kill in real world, but to me, it appears a bit much for the model.  I'm going to try buffing this out a little and will post pictures of my results.  If I still do not like, I will just re-mask and repaint. 

•  

After buffing out with 1000 grit sandpaper I dry brushed some copper to tone down some of the green, better, but I'm still deciding if I should leave it alone at this point or tweak it some more.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

DSC00548.JPG

DSC00552.JPG

Edited by Jeff preisler

•  

4 hours ago, MrBlueJacket said:

That's looking pretty good. Here's a shot of our gallery model:

Perry.thumb.jpg.2e1d4abfc82afbef6101574f18caba73.jpg

4 hours ago, MrBlueJacket said:

That's looking pretty good. Here's a shot of our gallery model:

Perry.thumb.jpg.2e1d4abfc82afbef6101574f18caba73.jpg

Thank you for the photo Nic, very helpful comparison.  I have to get over the shiny copper look and go with realism. 

•  

• 3 weeks later...

After completing the Patina look on the hull, I then started on the deck.  My 1st thing was to try to assemble all those tiny stairs which was quite a pain until I manufactured a crude but effective assembly jig. The jig was just a piece of scrap balsa the same width as the inside width of the stairs and thinned down where the treads get positioned. I lastly added a piece of pinned down wood on either side to hold stringers in place while gluing in treads.

DSC00560.JPG

•  

Installed the channel pin rails, chain plates, I then cut out the hull for the catheads, installed the windlass, riding bits and hatches.  For the brown wood looking color for all deck furniture, I used acrylic tube paint and made a stain thinning the colors with water. Next, I drilled out the mounting holes in the hull and the permanent base which I still have temporarily mounted just for the photo.  Just a few more things to finish up on deck then I will start the cannons which I already have painted.  I'm really enjoying this project so far and happy with my results, am looking forward to the rigging though.

DSC00561.JPG

DSC00562.JPG

DSC00563.JPG

DSC00564.JPG

DSC00565.JPG

Edited by Jeff preisler

•  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Prepared the masts and trestles. painted the lower masts white and stained all the upper masts and spencer mast with Mini wax "golden pecan" stain.   Continued on to prepping the yards attaching required blocks and foot ropes which I gave a coat of matte black paint.  As far as the blocks were concerned, I thought I would experiment with India ink as paint always seems to peel off from handling excessively.  After cleaning blocks with some lacquer thinner and "Pre-clean" I dipped the blocks in the ink and set them to dry.  So far, the ink hasn't rubbed off from handling and covers blocks nicely, any thoughts on the use of India ink would be appreciated.

DSC00578.JPG

DSC00579.JPG

DSC00580.JPG

DSC00581.JPG

•