USS Constitution by Hipexec - FINISHED - Constructo - 1:82

The hammocks were used to help protect from snipers. splinters and falling rigging.  More men were killed from these than anything else.

David B

Including Admiral Lord Nelson!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Anchor chain or line? Constructo shows I should use line to attach the anchor to the ship, while the USS Constitution in Boston has chain. I like the look of chain...what do you think? Of course I'll use line between the block and cathead.

post-4214-0-42387000-1405008446_thumb.jpg

If you have the proper chain, and that's what you like ----- why not?

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

It depends on the period you are going for. My understanding was the Connie in 1812 had lines rather than chain for the anchors. In "The Anatomy of a ship: The 44-Gun Frigate Old Ironsides" it said that the anchor in 1812 was connected by a strong hemp line. The anchor chain was introduced into the British Navy in 1817 and Humphery's papers do not indicate there was any use of chain yet.

Not sure when the chains were introduced to the Connie. 

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Augie, It didn't help that Nelson wore his full dress uniform with all decorations......kind of like a juicy target for snipers.

Edited by Hipexec

Here's one of my experiments for hammock nets and stanchions. It's the strongest of all my experimenting since it stanchions are pinned deeply into the top rails. My other attempts were weak since the stanchions were just glued.

post-4214-0-86055600-1405205108_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-04245200-1405205130_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hipexec

Constructo gives me some pins with very large loops at the top to make handrails. I've never seem handrails with these very big loopes to hold rope much smaller. With this experiment I glued (CA) line to pins. I'm not sure I like this either.

post-4214-0-05070600-1405205306_thumb.jpg

You might consider making the rails themselves out of wire?

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

The quality of Constructo's stanchions and cleats is poor. The brass pin is their version of a rail stanchion. Pretty puny. The small cleat in my photo is constructo's cleat which is poor quality. There's too much over flash and the parting lines are terrible and difficult to file flat and even. The dark cleat came with my Artesiania Latina Swift and is excellent quality. Any ideas where I can get good accessories? 

post-4214-0-96503900-1405264623_thumb.jpg

I tried to find a source for cleats and even emailed Mamoli. Their cleats were great, but I had just enough. I was concerned if I broke one I would be screwed. No one was able to tell me where I could find any replacements. The 1:93 scale makes it a bit difficult. Hopefully you will not be as challenged with your scale. There were a number of threads where people built their own cleats that looked good. That was going to be my fall back position if I needed to find anymore since I never heard anything back from Mamoli.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

It's funny...Constructo provides excellent looking wood with a great wood layout for true beauty, but all the metal parts and little extras are of very poor quality. I do not want to put these on this ship. It's too nice to hang junk on it. I'll have to go shopping.

I understand totally. When I was creating the deck furniture there were a number of Mamoli fittings I threw out and made myself because I thought they were not up to the quality I was aiming for. I know you will be able to find or produce what you need. I have seen your work!

Bill

Chantilly, VA

While I'm shopping for high quality parts, I'm starting deck gun production. Constructo does not show any block and tackle...only lines attaching the guns, so I'll have to design a more realistic set up. I'll be looking at all your gun rigs so I can copy them. Constructo give me a lot of raw wood that I have to cut to size. At least the barrels are made.

post-4214-0-30818800-1405295073_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-23789600-1405295087_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-29585800-1405295098_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-17780000-1405295110_thumb.jpg

I second Chuck's blocks. I bought the blocks and line from Chuck to rig my guns. He also was nice enough to review a photo of my planned rigging and gave me some great feedback.

Looking at the photos you put in from your instructions it also appears that you may want to solder a ring to the top end of the carronades for the breeching line. I added it to mine. The two bow chasers were rigged with the breeching line wrapped around and seized to the cascabel per the AOS.

I will have to say I was VERY happy once I got all of my cannon rigged and on the ship. Happy day!

Bill

Chantilly, VA

You might also wish to consider not attaching the lines to a common eyebolt on the bulwark.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

That is an interesting point. I did not use the common eyebolt and wondered if I should have. Water under the bridge for me at this point.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Progress in my shipyard is slowed while I try to fabricate, invent, purchase, or...... cleats, hammock stanchions, deck rails and cannons. Constructo drops the ball here and I only want stuff as good as what I see on all your ships. On top of this, my Admiral insists we leave this Arizona heat for a week, so we're heading for the beaches of Cancun. We'll be leaving Saturday.

Enjoy the trip.  I'll bet you come home with 2 good ideas for the ship!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

The cleats you show in the photo from Constructo aren't all that bad. They look decent. Any material you use will require some finishing like filing or sanding. Once installed and line wrapped around them, you won't really notice them. So if push comes to shove, I wouldn't hesitate to use them.  

I would have to agree.  I have seen worse cleats over the years.  Once cleaned up and painted they would probably work out well.  If not you can make your own from a piece of boxwood or apple.

David B