USS Constitution by Hipexec - FINISHED - Constructo - 1:82

Yes...you're correct and I'm working on a solution for that. I've tried several methods and didn't like the results.

I settled on two ways to skin the cat. First was to solder them on. I used a micro torch and paste solder. The other way was epoxy. If you are blackening your cannon with blacken it, or similar, you have to use the solder. If you are painting the canon, you can use the epoxy and cover it. Since these do not take any stress (once you have the line through them, it does not take a great deal of holding power.

I have attached a photo of my starboard forward cannon set showing both the long gun and the two carronades. 

post-10450-0-08480200-1407082469_thumb.jpg

Edited by robnbill

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Maybe an option is to drill a little hole at the cascabel and glue an eyebolt in it and paint it black ?

That's what I want to do with the cannons of the Aggy where the breech rope goes true it..

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Edited by Sjors

I'm with Sjors on the drilling for an eyebolt.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I'll experiment with the drilling of a small hole. I'm not painting the cannons...they'll stay brass. The whole ship is natural with no paint except for the blackened chimney.

I finished the eyebolts ahead of my original schedule since my fat, shaky fingers got more nimble as time went by. Now I have to design the tackle with blocks and all since Constructo just says just ties knots . I'll be plagerizing from all your postings.

post-4214-0-13172300-1407114322_thumb.jpg

Mamoli also only included the line for the breeching lines. Just draped them over the ends of the cannons.  So I ordered all the blocks and line I needed to rig them from Chuck. Drilling the blocks is a great idea. Your ship is looking great.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Before I start rigging guns or anything, I built this line dispenser. When I rigged my first ship, I had several rats nests and birds nests of tangled line and that was only a two masted schooner.  

post-4214-0-75141300-1407127828_thumb.jpg

While I ponder how to rig my guns....I'm closing the shipyard and going fishing in MInnesota. See you all in a week.

May you catch many Walleye and all the large mouth bass you can eat.  Nothing like walleye on a grill.  Speaking from childhood memories with dad.

David B

I just glued together a mock gunport so I can rig the guns when I get the blocks I just had to order. Constructo doesn't call for blocks on their guns only knots. That's not good enough for me, so I ordered 100 2mm single hole blocks (I only need 88 but I had to order round lots.) So, I might as well fish while I wait for the blocks.

post-4214-0-83202800-1407255752_thumb.jpg

Tight lines on the fishing!  That's a good way to rig the guns ---- beats doing it on deck.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

With my fat and shaky fingers, there's no way I can rig them in place. I did that on my first build, but it only had two guns. 

I just glued together a mock gunport so I can rig the guns when I get the blocks I just had to order. Constructo doesn't call for blocks on their guns only knots. That's not good enough for me, so I ordered 100 2mm single hole blocks (I only need 88 but I had to order round lots.) So, I might as well fish while I wait for the blocks.

Hey Rich,

Based upon the AOS, I used  a combination of double and single blocks to rig the canon. The line would start on a double (attached to a ring on the bulkhead), go to the single mounted on the cannon, back to the double then coiled the remainder on the deck. I calculated with 2 bow chasers I needed 86 single and 86 doubles. Each carronade had two sets of tackle on each side plus the breeching line. The Bow Chasers had one set of tackle each side plus one set attached from the stern to a deck ring near the mast. Of course they too had the breeching cables.

Bill

Bill

Chantilly, VA

I've been working on this gun rigging prototype for two days now and I think this about as good as I can create. I can never duplicate Bill's gun rigging. I tried and failed miserably. One thing I know...my rig is much better than Constructo's.

post-4214-0-64849300-1407297279_thumb.jpg

I like it. Yes, PVA and water or matte clear acrylic for those lines.   Only comment is that the breeching rope needs to be a bit longer or the gun won't slide back on recoil.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Fishing in Minnesota was great. My best was a ten pound Northern Pike!

It has been years since I was in Minn.  Northerns, Walleye, and Large Mouth Bass.  I bet that fish gave you a good fight.  But you enjoyed yourself and had a great meal.  Pan fried with flour or grilled with lemon and butter?

David B

Now that the fishing gear is put away...back to rigging the guns. Here's my gun rigging factory. At this rate I'll be rigging guns for a month. I'll probably do it quicker since I always get better and faster with each new piece. 

post-4214-0-00847700-1408078119_thumb.jpg

Keep this up and you will be able to open up your own shop.  Rich's Gun Works.  Cannons while you wait.

David B

Rich

I am just starting the same build (connie by constructo).  I am following your build log with interest, as it looks as though you have done a beautiful job with yours.  Hope mine turns out half as good!!  Can you plkease tell me how you went about shaping and filing the area of the first 2 bulkheads in order to accept the below decks gun wall> I have already have had to cut a new piece as I broke mine trying to fit it into the existing slots.  Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Coastie96