USS Constitution by Hipexec - FINISHED - Constructo - 1:82

Greetings,  I just found your log and read through all of it.  Since I started with a Swift as well I can certainly appreciate the large leap you made to this complexity of a build.  All I have to say is that you are braver than I am but it seems you are up to the task!  Nice work so far and I will enjoy watching.

Jared

-------------------------------
In Progress Build:

Robert E. Lee by Scientific a.k.a "The Bob"

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

Augie, I should have pointed out the issues with CA. thanks for doing that!  I use Micro Mark's gap filling CA, which I think equates to a medium.  You do have to be careful with it, it can make a big mess if you're not careful! 

Wes Cook

Current Build: USF Constitution (Model Shipways)

USF Essex (Scratch build)

MS Syren (build log lost, need to rebuild)

Future Builds: MS Confederacy

Like Augie and cookster, I use the medium. I have both the thick and thin, but never use them. The thin is so hard to control and the thick-nothing wrong with it, but I never use it.

And yes, the fumes can get to you. I've been lucky-so far.

Hang in there. You're getting there!

Harvey

Broke my plank cutter on the 2mm x 6mm Sapelly plank provided in the kit. This stuff is like iron. Doesn't want to bend or cut. I broke down and ordered a electric plank bender. The iron I was using made creases in the planks. I'll have to buy a new plank cutter...more heavy duty than the last one.I'm working on the false gun ports starboard side.

Rich

post-4214-0-22686400-1381079253_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hipexec

This pic shows the machinations I go through to glue on a plank. This is a pic of the fourth plank starboad side. I rough finished the starboard side false gun ports. They came out pretty good.

Rich

post-4214-0-56086800-1381102607_thumb.jpg

Looks familiar.  Having fun yet?

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Actually the challenge all this presents is the fun of it. Before I closed up the gun ports, I painted the back walls flat black. I didn't want anyone to be able to see all my construction markings in case they peeked into the small gun ports.

Rich

That cutter just might do it, Harvey.

Here's some pics of the roughed out gun ports on the starboard side. When I finish planking, this will all be filed and sanded smooth with straight edges.

Rach

post-4214-0-74679200-1381118400_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-21092700-1381118414_thumb.jpg

Hi Rich,

I thought your name was Rich and not Rach…….

Looks good !( the gun ports )

And a nice cutter what Harvey is showing you  :D  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

It's Rich not Rach? Typed too fast.

Bought some new tools to make building a little easier. A new all-angle cutter (heavy duty), new snips, and some maleable aluminum strips (made out of roof flashing) to get the exact shape of my next plank.

Rich

post-4214-0-28529800-1381171207_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-96139100-1381171223_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-29177000-1381171243_thumb.jpg

False gun ports finished starboard side and almost finished port side. I'm waiting for my new electric plank bender before proceeding with the rest of the planks. Using the steam iron just is not precise enough.

Rich

post-4214-0-05889000-1381347272_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-32927300-1381347287_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-48858100-1381347360_thumb.jpg

The electric plank bender came after I ordered it from ModelExpo on E-Bay. It's a Model Shipways Electric Plank Bender with a curved pattern block. Model Expo is a great place to buy hobby supplies. I'll let you all know how the bender works after I soak a few planks and try it. I built an aluminum clad holder to set the hot bender on while working.

Rich

post-4214-0-31302300-1381373483_thumb.jpg

I just tried my new plank bender. It's not magic and it takes the same amount of time to get a bend as my iron did, but the curve is nice and smooth. I'll see what it looks like in the AM when it will be dry.

Rich

Hi Rich,

We have the same planck bender and for us it is not working….

I burn the planks or pushing to hard so it break.

Maybe it works for you….

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Ah, certain of our Northern European friends.  Still wielding fire and force after all these years.  :D  :D

Give the tool a fair chance!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I finally finished roughing all the false gun ports! They were my second biggest worry, but they came out fairly square and all lined up. . My first worry is how will I build the upper gun ports? I'll cross that bridge after 50 or 60 more hull planks below the false gun ports.

Rich

post-4214-0-13053400-1381508108_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-18982200-1381508125_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-24153200-1381508140_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-52364400-1381508153_thumb.jpg

Thank Brian,

I'm going to try some of your magic. My bending tool is okay, but I think shaping the plank right on the hull might be better. We'll see.

Thanks, Rich

I don't know which is slower...a tortise, a glacier or my planking speed. Like I said at the beginning of this project..."How do you eat an elephant"  "Start chewing on the toe."

Rich

Time is of no importance.  Patience is.  As well as learning and improving with each day.

ENJOY YOURSELF!!!!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I finished eleven rows of planks. Six to port and five to starboard. This material is hard as steel. It doesn't want to bend, twist or sand/file easliy? It will bend up or down while laying flat, though.So far I've managed to keep these planks the full length of the hull (27 inches).

Rich

post-4214-0-37235600-1381803975_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-46099900-1381803991_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-09374700-1381804004_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-28694300-1381804024_thumb.jpg

Even my wife commented today, "Gee, you're not making much progress, are you?" 

And I say, "Dam the torpedo of comments, I'm dancing as fast as I can."

Actually, the kit maker says, try to make the first layer of planks your final layer, but they do give you a veneer layer just in case. I'm trying to make this first layer as neat as I can make it.

By now, I have combined several of all your suggestions to bend these very difficult planks into net shape. It's still very frustrating when I find myself almost at the shape I want and the plank splinters...wet, and heat, and all? I've now figured out how to salvage these planks with small splits. I can't tell it's repaired, but it adds a day.

Rich

Edited by Hipexec

Brian, I only use nails occasionally to help shape the plank, but not after glueing. I use rubber bands (lots of them) and "T" pins. It seems to work so far. Wayne, that's not a wieght, it's a broom handle with a piece of swim noodle to help support the hull while working on it. Thanks for the comments.

Rich